PDA

View Full Version : Worst Guitarist Changes Ever

bueno bob
05-30-2005, 04:23 PM
1. Danny Johnson replaces Steve Vai (Alcatrazz)

Who do you get to replace Malmsteen? Vai. Who do you get that can possibly follow in both of their footsteps? Easy! Danny Johnson, downplay everything and make everyone forget that Alcatrazz was a band that had outstanding guitar work...you then proceed to record an album of pop-metal crap and confuse the shit out of your fans, who now have no idea what Alcatrazz is supposed to be about...and then break up because you're so poorly received...

2. Al Pitrelli replaces Alex Skolnik (Savatage)

Skolnik stepping in for the late, great Criss Oliva was a very fitting step, and Alex had the chops to pull off the work and make it sound as it should have sounded - a fitting memorial of an album. Instead of doing the right thing and calling it quits, though, Savatage pushes on after Skolnik departs, getting guitarist for hire Al Pitrelli to take over the leads. While Al's a good guitarist, he wasn't a fan of the band (in fact, had never even heard of them before being hired) and was just looking for a paycheck - and ADMITTED it. Chris Caffery's return to 2nd guitar did a little to offset the unbalanced act, but Al's never fit quite right into Savatage at all.

3. Craig Goldy replaces Vivian Campbell (Dio)

Fretboard wizard Vivian Campbell wasn't happy under Ronnie James Dio's thumb, and would have rather been writing ballads and syrupy pop rock numbers. Instead of getting another shredder capable of filling in the blanks, Ronnie opted instead for power chord maestro Craig Goldy and the noticeable difference was striking.

4. John Norum replaces Reb Beach (Dokken)

Reb Beach, with his one album (Erase the Slate, 1999), put the fire back into Dokken that had been missing ever since they reformed with George Lynch in 1994. Dokken sounded lively, invigorated, and finally ready to kick some ass, something that Lynch had effectively refused to do. The future seemed bright. However, Beach left following Pilson's departure, and Don opted to replace him with John Norum. Which should have been a great decision, as Norum's got chops like Doans has pills...but the resulting album with Norum (Long Way Home) was an exercise in boring, pedestrial Beatles-esque indulgances, extremely short (barely more than 35 minutes in length) and a complete waste.

5. Edward Van Halen replaces Edward Van Halen (Van Halen)

Who knows what happened in 1985...but the going idea is that Edward's evil clone killed the original and took over the band...

Who's got others?

DrMaddVibe
05-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Ron Wood replaces Mick Taylor.

Mark St. Holmes replaces Ace Frehley

Dave Navarro replaces Johnny F.

Rikk
05-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Have to say, besides the last one, you got some different tastes in music than me, bro!:p So SAVATAGE is good but THE BEATLES aren't?:D

Anyway, my most obvious choice would be STEVE MORSE replacing RITCHIE BLACKMORE in DEEP PURPLE. I can't stand that jackoff MORSE. Fuckin' leave your whammy bar alone for five fucking seconds, jagoff. He makes every DEEP PURPLE riff sound like wanker metal and doesn't even play SMOKE ON THE WATER properly. RITCHIE is to DEEP PURPLE what IOMMI is to BLACK SABBATH.

Jérôme Frenchise
05-30-2005, 04:39 PM
It's not obvious... Rikk's example is, though (as Dr MV mentioning Taylor/Wood). I can't see any other real bad replacement. At least in the bands I dig.

bueno bob
05-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Have to say, besides the last one, you got some different tastes in music than me, bro!:p So SAVATAGE is good but THE BEATLES aren't?:D

No, no, no...don't get the wrong idea, dude. I just meant that the Dokken album "Long Way Home" was full of Beatles-esque influences, and considering that Don can't sing anymore and John Norum needs to be burning up a fretboard to be any fun, well, "Long Way Home" really sucked!

:)

Matt White
05-30-2005, 04:45 PM
STEVE MORSE is an EXCELLENT guitarist, but COMPLETELY WRONG for DEEP PURPLE.
I think you'd dig the DIXIE DREGGS, Stevies 70's fusion band RIKK!!!.

RICHIE BLACKMORE is DEEP PURPLE.

Tommy Bolin replacing BLACKMORE was a low point. BOLIN was/is also a very talented guitarist, but WRONG for PURPLE.

ADRIAN VANDENBERG replacing JOHN SYKES in WHITESNAKE completed the transition from blues rock to Hair Metal for the snakes!!!

I'm one of the few who didn't like Marc Ford replacing Jeff Cease in The BLACK CROWES.

bueno bob
05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd also say Joe Holmes replacing Zakk Wylde. Mostly it's because of Ozzy, but he managed to record one whole song (Walk On Water) for the Beavis and Butthead soundtrack (I think) during his whole tenure with Ozzy, and the song utterly sucked....

bueno bob
05-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I'd also agree with the Morse for Blackmore switch.

Rikk
05-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Tommy Bolin replacing BLACKMORE was a low point. BOLIN was/is also a very talented guitarist, but WRONG for PURPLE.

Yeah, but you know...I would say that COME TASTE THE BAND is still a good album. Not a great album, but a good album. I guess I like it so much because I don't think of it so much as DEEP PURPLE and it's one of the only big showcases for BOLIN's talents. That mother would have gone on to be a big fucking guitar god had he lived. It's certainly a better album than STORMBRINGER.

Matt White
05-30-2005, 04:57 PM
True 'Dat.

SPECTRUM is a BRILLIANT recording.

Saw Billy Cobham years ago at a snall Jazz club in DETROIT!!!

AWESOME!!!:D

DaLeeRo
05-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Black Night's solo is horrible to listen....

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Navarro in Chilli Peps

Whoever replaced Jimmy Vaughn in Fabulous Thunderbirds

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Joe Holmes on the '91 Tour

The Scatologist
05-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Uhh, when Slash got kicked outta GNR

UGS
05-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Whoever replaced Marty Friedman in Megadeth. I think it was Al Pitrelli. Marty did a fine job replacing Young/Poland, but Megadeth went downhill after Marty quit.

Rikk
05-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by DaLeeRo
Black Night's solo is horrible to listen....

I totally disagree. I love it...it's based on atonal and noise qualities and really works. Too many wankers play the same solo again and again. BLACKMORE was very creative with his solos.

m_dixon1984
05-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Genesis lost Steve Hackett and replaced him Darryl Sturmer (for touring). Hackett is a great talent with a musical vision that was never clouded by the lure of commercial success. Once he left, the band was well and truly on the path to commercial success and musical mediocrity. What a shame.
M

Big Fat Sammy
05-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Navarro replacing Fruciante in RHCP!

Wait...someone already said that!

Redballjets88
05-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Uhh, when Slash got kicked outta GNR

buckethead is better than slash so that doesnt count

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Anyone the mighty Robert 'Percy' Plant has had play guitar with him otha den Jimmy Page

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 06:15 PM
When Spinal Tap broke up

The Scatologist
05-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88

Slash is god buckethead is not.

SweetSecrets
05-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, for Dave, working with Vai wasn't a mistake.

SweetSecrets
05-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist

Are you nuts!? :)

Slash has his glory moments in between hundreds of super sloppy - "I'm so drunk"- solos, but "god"? No way.

SweetSecrets
05-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey, but the other guitar dude in Guns and Roses? What was his name?

Did he even use an amp at their shows. I swear, I never heard a note come out of his guitar. I think he was just pretending or something.

FORD
05-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Carlos Cavazo "replacing" Randy Rhoads in Quiet Riot.

That's even more laughable than Sammy Hagar "replacing" David Lee Roth.

Ozzy replacing Randy with Brad "Sister Christian" Gillis was pretty bad too.

Loons The Great
05-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FORD

LMMFAO!!!

Redballjets88
05-30-2005, 08:29 PM

buckethead can shred better than anyone else and is way more techinacal than slash

UGS
05-30-2005, 08:36 PM

Are you kidding? I'm with the Scatologist on this one. Slash has a sense of melody that noone can rival, and his chops are stellar. He burns down the house everytime he solos, he plays beautiful melodic lines, and he plays riffs with more attitude than anything since Aerosmith Rocks.

Buckethead plays nothing inspiring. He is fast. That's all.

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
More votes from me...

6. Al Pitrelli replaces Marty Friedman (Megadeth):

Every band goes downhill once Al Pitrelli joins them (and lets face it, he's joined almost EVERY band at some point or another)...Megadeth was no exception. Thus, Pitrelli makes my list twice.

7. Jon Levin replaces John Norum (Dokken):

Didn't think it'd be possible to record a more guitar-boring album than "Long Way Home", but Jon Levin certainly pulled it off...

8. Kelly Gray replaces Chris DeGarmo (Queensryche):

Too much Seattle can be a bad thing. Very bad, and Queensryche proved it. Not even all that much of a guitarist, Kelly Gray's playing made "Live Evolution" virtually unlistenable.

9. Samy Yli-Sirino replaces Tommy Vetterli (Kreator):

With Tommy (ex of Coroner), Kreator's sound matured, developed, and expanded beyond it's original thrash boundaries, diving into more progressive minded fare. While it didn't sound like traditional Kreator, it still had the Kreator sound to it, and Tommy's as good of a guitarist as they come...although Outcast was trashed (and rightly so), Endorama had dimensions to it that were previously unheard of in Kreator land, and it's a simply brilliant album, musically their most diverse ever and a lot of fun to listen to. That said, there's no doubt that the replacement of Samy Yli-Sirino has added the aggression back to Kreator's sound...but in so far as songwriting is concerned, he's more Maiden than thrash, and Kreator's last two albums with him (Violent Revolution and Enemy of God) have sounded exactly like that - Maiden trying to sound thrash, and it doesn't fit Kreator very well.

10. Janick Gers replaced Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden):

Adrian brought something else to Maiden, other than the 2nd guitar lead and wretched backup vocals - a songwriting sensibility. After his departure in '89, Gers brought to the table 2nd guitar leads and wretched backup vocals - and that was it. Gers lacked the songwriting finesse of Smith, and during his entire run with the band (some fifteen years now), he's yet to contribute anything in the realms of songwriting that's up to bat with Smith. Since Adrian returned to the Maiden fold in '99, I've yet to figure out why Janick is still in the picture, as his presence certainly isn't necessary and more of a hinderance than anything else...

Figs
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
How about Jimmy Crespo for Joe Perry?

FORD
05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Figs
How about Jimmy Crespo for Joe Perry?

Yeah, and the guy who replaced Whitford sucked too. So much I can't even think of his name.

That was definitely the low point for Aerosmith. At least while they were on Columbia.

They would eventually do worse when signed to Geffen - even with the original lineup.

Soul Reaper
05-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Vivian Campbell replaces Steve Clark (Def Leppard)

Vinnie Moore replaces Michael Schenker (UFO)

Ritchie Kotzen replacing Paul Gilbert (Mr.Big)

Come on, you all know that Gilbert kicks just about almost every guitarists' ass!

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
Come on, you all know that Gilbert kicks just about almost every guitarists' ass!

When he's on his game, few can touch Mr. Gilbert at all...

Mr Badguy
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
You stole my thunder, Bob.

Gray for DeGarmo makes me want to be sick into the toilet pan.

Gers for Smith.

Gers also coudn`t match Smith`s tasty contributions to the guitar work. Smith`s solos were a perfect counterpoint to Dave Murray`s whereas Gers is similar, but inferior, to Murray.

Soul Reaper
05-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
When he's on his game, few can touch Mr. Gilbert at all...

true.

what Racer X albums have u got?

Mr Badguy
05-31-2005, 02:51 PM
Also Tommy Thayer for Ace Frehley.

Steve Vai in Whitesnake.

Trevor Rabin for Steve Howe (Yes).

Mel Galley for Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake).

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
true.

what Racer X albums have u got?

Need you ask?

ALL. :D

FORD
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM

8. Kelly Gray replaces Chris DeGarmo (Queensryche):

Too much Seattle can be a bad thing. Very bad, and Queensryche proved it. Not even all that much of a guitarist, Kelly Gray's playing made "Live Evolution" virtually unlistenable.

Another case of a good band destroyed by Canada's shittiest manager, Ray Danniels.

I only wish I would have known when Ray was in the area talking business with the 'Ryche. I sure would love to express my "personal thanks" for all he's done for rock n roll.

And I still don't know how Rush has survived with this fucker as their manager.

Rikk
05-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, and the guy who replaced Whitford sucked too. So much I can't even think of his name.

That was definitely the low point for Aerosmith. At least while they were on Columbia.

They would eventually do worse when signed to Geffen - even with the original lineup.

I completely disagree. ROCK IN A HARD PLACE is an under-rated album. JAILBAIT and BOLIVIAN RAGAMUFFIN are both among Aerosmith's best songs.

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 03:37 PM
And I still don't know how Rush has survived with this fucker as their manager.

On that note, I think Rush is probably the only band he really gives a fuck about...concentrates on them to the exclusion of all others, perhaps?

Redballjets88
05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
whoever replaced vinnie vincent in kiss

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 03:42 PM
whoever replaced vinnie vincent in kiss

Mark St. Holmes? Mark St. John? Something like that...

Redballjets88
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
whoever it was they couldnt hold a candle to vinnie

ya ever heard why he got kicked out

Rikk
05-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Mark St. John. They didn't even use all his solos on the one album he did with the band...ANIMALIZE. And he only played two and a half shows (literally) with the band before he was replaced by Bruce Kulick. Kulick is a talented player, but on real balls to his playing and he didn't belong in KISS. He was just a yes-man.

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Didn't St. John have some kind of tendanitis or something? I don't know Kiss much...

Warham
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Kirk Hammett replacing Dave Mustaine in Metallica. :D

Redballjets88
05-31-2005, 03:58 PM
vinnie got booted because he went on stage before a show and just improvised a 7 minutes solo...which pushed the concert back and the rest of the band got pissed and kcked him out

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 04:07 PM
vinnie got booted because he went on stage before a show and just improvised a 7 minutes solo...which pushed the concert back and the rest of the band got pissed and kcked him out

Oh, OK...don't know where I got tendinitis from... :confused:

He's gay, isn't he? I knew a guy that went backstage and met the band back in the day...said Vinnie was all up on some dude, kissing, the works, but what the fuck do I know...?

Rikk
05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Didn't St. John have some kind of tendanitis or something? I don't know Kiss much...

Yeah, his arm was all fucked-up and he couldn't play. He got better eventually, and some say it was the stress...

Rikk
05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Oh, OK...don't know where I got tendinitis from... :confused:

He's gay, isn't he? I knew a guy that went backstage and met the band back in the day...said Vinnie was all up on some dude, kissing, the works, but what the fuck do I know...?

I met him years ago. Dude is totally fucking feminine (and full of himself). I gave him your phone number.

Redballjets88
05-31-2005, 04:24 PM
is vincent really gay? that would be weird

bastardog
05-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Kirk Hammett replacing Dave Mustaine in Metallica. :D

That one is my fav.
Metallica fucked up when there where no more Mustaine material for their albums....remember that they used Mustaine writtings for 3 albums (their best 3)
"...And justice for all" was Metallica last album.......after that they are shit

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 04:44 PM
I met him years ago. Dude is totally fucking feminine (and full of himself). I gave him your phone number.

That's grate!

I hate you so much, it makes me so mad!! :mad:

Rikk
05-31-2005, 05:10 PM
I hate you so much, it makes me so angry!:mad:

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Slash for Bucket head

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 05:14 PM
bucket head's such a faggot god i hate him

Redballjets88
05-31-2005, 05:19 PM
he is better than slash

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 05:22 PM
he is better than slash

BUUUUUUUUULLLLLL SHIT

DLR7884
05-31-2005, 05:39 PM
he is better than slash

I'm sure Bucketfuck is a good guitarist....but has he recorded anything noteworthy in his career?

I've heard a few of his solo efforts, and I'm not that impressed.

DLR7884
Slash is overrated, btw.

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 05:48 PM
DLR7884
Slash is overrated, btw. [/B][/QUOTE]

explain.i was ready to go off on a huge rant about how good slash is but then youd kinda kick my ass so ya i wanna hear what you gotta say first

DLR7884
05-31-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
explain.i was ready to go off on a huge rant about how good slash is but then youd kinda kick my ass so ya i wanna hear what you gotta say first

His solos all sound similar.

He isn't that good of a songwriter.

He sucks live.

This is just like when you were telling us that Axl is one of the top 3 frontmen in history....don't let your love of GNR get in the way of basic music knowledge.

DLR7884
I didn't say Slash sucked....he is good, but not great.

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 06:11 PM
well its all down to personal tastes really i guess

ya ill try not to let my love of all things axl take over

ms7088
05-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Forget about Slash leaving GNR. They went downhill when Gilby Clarke replaced Izzy Stradlin. Izzy was the guy that wrote their most memorable material. Bands need to learn that you never fire (or allow to quit) the guy that writes the songs. Dave is certainly guilty of this.

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ms7088
Forget about Slash leaving GNR. They went downhill when Gilby Clarke replaced Izzy Stradlin. Izzy was the guy that wrote their most memorable material. Bands need to learn that you never fire (or allow to quit) the guy that writes the songs. Dave is certainly guilty of this.

yea i hate gilby clarke. Izzy Stradlin was great in GNR

FORD
05-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, his arm was all fucked-up and he couldn't play. He got better eventually, and some say it was the stress...

Stress can definitely aggravate tendonitis. You can take my word for that. For those who have never had the "pleasure" of experiencing it, tendonitis in the shoulder will pretty much paralyze your entire arm. Tendonitis in the elbow would certainly make fingering a fretboard impossible, and even holding a pick painful.

Believe me, the shit sucks :(

The Scatologist
05-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Theres not many guitsrists who look as cool as Slash.

Nuff said.

Hoongood
05-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Dave Amato replacing Gary Ritchrath.

Seshmeister
05-31-2005, 09:26 PM

I think that's a bit harsh.

BG only had a week to learn the songs and given RR was one of the best in the world at the time he did ok.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
When my cousin replaced my brother when we used to air guitar in front of the closet door mirrors when we were kids. He just didnt have the same fire.............

zeronumber
05-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Jerry Cantrell replacing Zakk Wylde in Ozzy's Boxset, Cd 4.

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 11:39 PM
kirk hammet replacing dave mustaine in metallica

Dave's Bitch
05-31-2005, 11:39 PM
kirk hammet replacing dave mustaine in metallica

although that did lead to the borth of one of the greatest bands of all time MEGADETH

zeronumber
05-31-2005, 11:47 PM
although that did lead to the borth of one of the greatest bands of all time MEGADETH

And one of the Greatest Covers of an Alice Cooper song.;)

Seshmeister
05-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
When my cousin replaced my brother when we used to air guitar in front of the closet door mirrors when we were kids. He just didnt have the same fire.............

You must have been a VERY close family...:)

tydhurst
06-01-2005, 12:59 AM

That's crap, right there!

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Exactly, What is buckethead known for doing really well...Playing songs, slash wrote?

Redballjets88
06-01-2005, 01:03 AM
have any of you listened to his solo stuff.....thats right you have no room to talk

Redballjets88
06-01-2005, 01:04 AM
no for playing guitar and wearing a kfc bucket aon his head and wearing a mask

Exactly, What is buckethead known for doing really well...Playing songs, slash wrote?

DLR7884
06-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Redball....are you fucking half retarded or something?

I mean, have you even heard Buckethead play before?

DLR7884
Seems to me you are queer for him just because of his lame ass costume.

zeronumber
06-01-2005, 01:19 AM
have any of you listened to his solo stuff.....thats right you have no room to talk

I wasn't even aware that jackass had solo material...the only thing I know from him was for playing GNR melodies at the vma's...

Even still, Wah pedal whore or not, Slash still rulez.

DLR7884
06-01-2005, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by DLR7884
I'm sure Bucketfuck is a good guitarist....but has he recorded anything noteworthy in his career?

I've heard a few of his solo efforts, and I'm not that impressed.

I have heard his solo stuff, as you can tell.

Next time read the ENTIRE fucking thread before responding so ignorantly, asspirate.

DLR7884
You are getting on my fucking nerves dude.

The Scatologist
06-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Thing is, Slash CAN'T be replaced. He's like a face of GNR.

In fact, So was Izzy.

Would Led Zep still be Led Zep if they replaced Page with Michael Romeo?

FUCK NO!

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Slash is a good guitarist - he's not a GREAT one, per se, but he's good, and he's recognizable when he plays, so that's something right there. I enjoy listening to him, but I think he's kinda got that "If He Ain't Here, It Ain't The Band" thing going in so far as GNR is concerned.

I will give props to Buckethead - the boy can play and he can play well. No argument from me on that. He's not Slash, but...he's good. I've heard some solo stuff from him, one of my old friends was really hot on him. I actually enjoyed it, thought it was well done material.

Soul Reaper
06-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Slash for Bucket head

don't you mean Buckethead for Slash?

Soul Reaper
06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Buckethead is a bizarre yet very talented guitarist. His acoustic albums are supposed to be very beautiful. He's a fret-melting shredder and his style is unique.

He's more of an experimental guitarist, so he's not for everyone. You need to be open minded when approaching his music.

I like his playing more than Slash. I'm not saying Slash is bad, but Slash seems too much like Joe Perry or Jimmy Page.

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Buckethead is a bizarre yet very talented guitarist. His acoustic albums are supposed to be very beautiful. He's a fret-melting shredder and his style is unique.

He's more of an experimental guitarist, so he's not for everyone. You need to be open minded when approaching his music.

I like his playing more than Slash. I'm not saying Slash is bad, but Slash seems too much like Joe Perry or Jimmy Page.

Experimental would be a good word to describe Buckethead. Bizarre, too...and his acoustic work is WONDERFUL. He's a very different, very intelligent player...I, for one, think he's awfully underrated as a stand alone guitarist, regardless of whether he was solo or while he was doing his stint with GnR.

nosuchluck
06-02-2005, 09:03 AM
i think its unfair to blame Al Pitrelli for the "downfall" of Savatage and Megadeth. he wasn't a songwriter in either of the bands - all he did was play solos. if the music was bad, then he's not to blame.

as for the Savatage situation, i understand that most die-hard fans of the band didn't accept him because he wasn't aware of the back catalogue - i don't think he's to blame; Jon Oliva shouldn't have hired him. all things aside, i thought he played some brilliant solos on Dead Winter Dead.
and with Megadeth, you could tell that he was told to play his solos a certain way.

for vintage Pitrelli, i'd recommend CPR (Coven, Pitrelli, O'Reilly). i think they made just one album - and its awesome.

Soul Reaper
06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Vai for Sykes (Whitesnake)

I have no idea if that's bad or good.

Sykes was awesome! But Vai is also awesome!

But I don't think Vai fitted Whitesnake's music as well as Sykes did!

Hoongood
06-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Brad Gillis was great on Speak of the Devil. In fact, his versions of the Sabbath tunes are much better than the Randy Rhodes versions on Tribute. His Parnoid solo is my favorite of all.

Soul Reaper
06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Hoongood
Brad Gillis was great on Speak of the Devil. In fact, his versions of the Sabbath tunes are much better than the Randy Rhodes versions on Tribute. His Parnoid solo is my favorite of all.

Randy's solos on Black Sabbath tunes were better than Iommi's.

Randy thought Iommi's solos were too "stock and basic".

sammysucks65
06-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Carlos Cavazo "replacing" Randy Rhoads in Quiet Riot.

wtf no sorry its not your fault...randy got replaced cause he died....in a plane crash...HES THE BEST MFING GUITARIST EVER
wel to me

DeadOrAlive
06-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Dave Navarro replaces Johnny F.

I know. RHCP was great with John Fruscante (is that how you spell it?) Since John came back they have been GREAT.

Soul Reaper
06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
I know. RHCP was great with John Fruscante (is that how you spell it?) Since John came back they have been GREAT.

I love their newer songs with Frusciante. Scar Tissue is excellent.

BloodSexSugarMagic is a classic

zeronumber
06-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Frankly, I don't know what the hell Dr.Madd Vibe was talking about,
Dave Navarro was a great replacement. It's once thing to replace John with somebody less talented, but Navarro is an awesome guitarist, that plays just as good, if not better than the likes of John.

One hot minute kicked ass too.
So did their tours, since dave easily played all of John's work.

I agree that Blood Sugar Sex Magik is an awesome albulm, and the trasnistion from BSSM to OHM was a bit dramatic, but still,

the albulm kicked ass.

Granted, I'm glad John rejoined the band, because californication was an awesome albulm and all, but that doesn't mean Dave wasn't as good as John.

Soul Reaper
06-06-2005, 02:30 PM
RHCP are one of the more melodic bands around today. It's a breath of fresh air

zeronumber
06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
RHCP are one of the more melodic bands around today. It's a breath of fresh air

I agree, nowadays nearlly all music sounds the same, but whenever a RHCP song comes around, you know instantly it's them.

Plus they have what has to be, on of the best bass players in music today(Aside from Claypool of course)

Rikk
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I think ONE HOT MINUTE is a fine album. Great songs, great playing...very funky stuff and very adventurous. I enjoyed CALIFORNICATION a lot, but it was still kind of less adventurous than ONE HOT MINUTE. And BY THE WAY was okay, but not great Chili Peppers. Way too stifled...

zeronumber
06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I didn't like By the way, that's when they had this whole "Less offensive, more nice perspective" to their band...which of course...will always equal suck fess.

It had some good songs, but nothing spectacular.

Same goes for their song "Fortune's Faded" on their 2nd greatest hits cd., It sounded so watered down chilli peppers...