PDA

View Full Version : Lucas, Spielberg OK 'Indy 4' script

Rikk
05-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Lucas, Spielberg OK 'Indy 4' script
http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2005/05/30/1063175.html

By JAM! Movies

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2005/05/30/indy.jpg

The script approval for a fourth "Indiana Jones" film has cleared two major hurdles -- but still has one more to go.

Variety.com reports George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have given the green light to writer Jeff Nathanson's draft of "Indy 4," but star Harrison Ford, who has to give the thumbs up in order for the film to move forward, has yet to read the script.

Nathanson ("The Terminal," "Catch Me If You Can") took over the writing duties from Frank Darabont, ("The Shawshank Redemption," "Collateral") who had originally been brought in to script a concept the trio liked, but sources said Lucas was unhappy with the draft.

Scheduling the filming for "Indiana Jones 4" may hit a snag due to Spielberg's busy schedule -- he is heading to Europe to begin production on an untitled drama about the aftermath of the terrorist incidents at the 1972 Munich Olympics, and will follow it with a movie about Abraham Lincoln and the U.S. Cival War, starring Liam Neeson.

Vinnie Velvet
05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Cool!

The idea behind the story (from what I heard) showcases an older Indy (obviously) and some of the fun and not so much fun of being an older adventurer archeologist.

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure...I really enjoyed Raiders, but I thought Temple of Doom wasn't as good...and Last Crusade was worse than Temple...I think I'm really in the minority on this, but...on a solely personal level, I really think Raiders should have been a stand-alone movie; still...I can see wanting to do it again, but Harrison Ford is getting WAY up there in his years...almost too old at this point...but he certainly could use the vehicle, his last couple of movies have been a disaster on two legs.

Warham
05-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Temple was my least favorite of the three, and as for Crusade: Bringing in Connery was a stroke of genius.

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'll agree to that, I loved Sean as Indy's dad...didn't care so much for River Phoenix, but...Sean made up for it, definately.

Vinnie Velvet
05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
I actually may be in the minority, but Temple wasn't that bad.

It was kinda dark, with what Lucas wanted for the second act of a play (re: Empire Strikes Back). Though I guess the results weren't like what we got with Empire, if you wanna make the star wars connection.

Last Crusade was good, as I think Lucas and Speilberg wanted to make it like Raiders.

Raiders is the best though, one of my all time favorite movies.

Rikk
05-31-2005, 04:35 PM
RAIDERS is one of the greatest movies ever made...far, far better than any of the sequels. I do feel that TEMPLE is the second-best. It's not nearly as good as RAIDERS, but it at least is more fun than CRUSADE. Connery is good, but the rest of CRUSADE just isn't nearly as interesting.

I'm definitely looking forward to this entry. I presume Connery won't be in it...

bueno bob
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Well, I could do with a repeat appearance from Sean, I know they were originally talking about bringing back the cast of Last Crusade.

Guess we'll see.

Hardrock69
05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, Raiders dealt with THE artifact containing the presence of God, Final Crusade dealt with The Holy Grail....where in the fuck is there to go from there? The Monolith on the moon from 2001: A Space Idiocy????

twonabomber
05-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

It was kinda dark, with what Lucas wanted for the second act of a play (re: Empire Strikes Back).

yeah, but in this case, the second act takes place before the first. :D

i love 'em all, could do without Short Round though.

i have the original posters from each movie. my mom brought them home from the theater once the run was over. eventually i'd like to get the rerelease posters too.

Van Squalen
05-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Raiders is THE all time classic action adventure flick. Nothing else even comes close.

Me, I thought Temple was much better than Crusade. I like the dark vibe. Child slavery sucks and all, but who can forget the rope bridge and the heart plucking? Whoo hoo. However, the worst part of all 3 Indy films resides with Temple, alas, when they survive the plane crash by inflating a rubber raft and floating it down. Ugh. I can forgive Indy for a lot of stretches, but that one hurt.

Ever since Indy 4 came up as a possibility several years ago, there's been all this talk a bout Indy having a younger brother, sort of a vigilante archaeologist having gone to the dark side, LOL, and that Kevin Costner was going to play it, along with a return by Connery as Dad.

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 10:05 PM
LMFAO Temple is actually my fave of them all! That fucker Short Round gets old fast, and Kate Capshaw gets annoying at times(though I would have unloaded on her tits at that time), but other than that it's an amazing film. We get to see the darker side of Indy....and thats a good thing!

scottydabodi
05-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
LMFAO Temple is actually my fave of them all! That fucker Short Round gets old fast, and Kate Capshaw gets annoying at times(though I would have unloaded on her tits at that time), but other than that it's an amazing film. We get to see the darker side of Indy....and thats a good thing!

BILL IS BACK BILL IS BACK BILL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Seshmeister
05-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Kate Capshaw gets annoying at times(though I would have unloaded on her tits at that time),

I think I'll file that under 'too much information'.

Usually from my experience when there are a lot of rewrites and writers it means the film ends up being shit but as long as Lucas isn't writing the script it might have a chance.

I thought Temple of Doom had a couple of good bits but was nothing compared to the original. The one after was a bit better but not as good as the original either. Like Romancing the Stone, Batman etc etc I just wish they would let these things go but obviously it's a money thing.

I do what I can by not going to see them anymore.

Still a new Indy movie will be a million times better than the current crop of shitty superhero films, Tomb raider, Bond or Batman.

I swear on a transatlantic flight which screened the second Tomb Raider film I actually read the safety card instead and then looked out the window. Anyone that has been on an 8 hour flight where waiting for the movie is the highlight to relieve the boredom will understand there is no worse thing you can say about a film.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Terry
05-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Agree that Raiders shouldn't have been subject to sequelization, as well as the fact that Kate Capshaw could use a nice, fresh batch shucked out across her mams.

Have no interest in Indy 4, though. Have had it with sequels, remakes and tv shows turned into movies.....although I'll probably go see the new Batman anyway.

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
BILL IS BACK BILL IS BACK BILL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Thanks for that bro! How the fuck ya been, man?!

scottydabodi
05-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks for that bro! How the fuck ya been, man?!

I've been fine, but I'm doin' MUCH BETTER now that I know that the Real Initech Pimp is in the House... Great to see you back, Bill!!

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Agree that Raiders shouldn't have been subject to sequelization, as well as the fact that Kate Capshaw could use a nice, fresh batch shucked out across her mams.

Have no interest in Indy 4, though. Have had it with sequels, remakes and tv shows turned into movies.....although I'll probably go see the new Batman anyway.

I agree about Indy 4. I'm a HUGE Harrison Ford fan, but fuckin' a, the guy probably cant even open the fridge without pain, much less chase down arabs and zombies! I guess the stunt doubles will be working overtime on this one.

Terry
05-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Guess part of it for me is that Raiders didn't suffer from too many special effects compared to today's CGI crapfests, and Ford even did some of his own stunts.....you just know a new Raiders would be overloaded with too much computerized crap, and, like you said, a 60 year old Indy poncing around just isn't gonna be credible. Plus, no Denham Elliot.....or Capshaw's big boobs....man, ever since you mentioned them I can't stop thinking about them............DAMN YOU, LUMMY!

Grant
05-31-2005, 11:30 PM
This trilogy is one of my favourite films of all time...and I'm pessimistic about bringing in a 4th instalment, especially if it involves an outside writer. I hope Harrison Ford is not just doing this as an attempt to rivatilise his career like Francis Ford Coppola had to do with The Godfather Part III. He is bloody 63 years of age. Still I'll be interested to see what Spielberg and Lucas has install for us, but if it bombs artistically, critically, and commercially I'll be mega pissed off!

I didn't mind Temple Of Doom either. The corny comedy in it made it pretty enjoyable but I don't know how the hell they gave that a PG rating on it's release. The Last Crusade was better though. I agree, Connery was a bold move to be cast as Professor Henry Jones. Nice they brought back some originals too like Marcus (Denholm Elliot) and Sallah (John Rhys-Davies).

I'm just wondering...what would be an appropriate relic or artifact for Indy this round? I would've thought it couldn't have gotten any bigger with the Holy Grail or the Ark.

Seshmeister
05-31-2005, 11:32 PM
Donald Trump's hair?

Bill Lumbergh
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Guess part of it for me is that Raiders didn't suffer from too many special effects compared to today's CGI crapfests, and Ford even did some of his own stunts.....you just know a new Raiders would be overloaded with too much computerized crap, and, like you said, a 60 year old Indy poncing around just isn't gonna be credible. Plus, no Denham Elliot.....or Capshaw's big boobs....man, ever since you mentioned them I can't stop thinking about them............DAMN YOU, LUMMY!

:D Wonder if they would CGI Capshaws tits for todays audiences?!

DavidLeeNatra
06-01-2005, 05:55 AM
dunno...but to me four is alwys one movie too much...same with lethal weapon...took me years to watch it on dvd...a trilogy is a trilogy...even if the movies do not "depend" on each other...three is enough...

Seshmeister
06-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Maybe it will be Atlantis?

That was the theme in a couple of Indy video games years ago as I remember.

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Maybe it will be Atlantis?

That was the theme in a couple of Indy video games years ago as I remember.

Possible. Hell, there are a million ways they could go from here...they could discover that the cross Jesus was crucified on was saved...maybe go after the nails...the spear that pierced his side or the crown of thorns on his head...or they could pull a ToD plotline and have him going after something fictional...the possibilities are really endless, honestly.

I think, the last I heard, Marcus and Sallah were up for repeat appearances as well, but I heard that a year ago, so who knows what script re-writes have been done...

The main problem that they're gonna run into is Indy's love interest. Who's going to be romantically involved with a guy over 60 and make it believable? And no, I'm not talking about skeleton girl, either :)

I say bring back Karen Allen, frankly.

Vinnie Velvet
06-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, Karen Allen was a fiesty, hot bitch!

The premise around !V from what I've heard sees an older Indy (obviously), whose adventureous ways are behind him, as he'd rather continue teaching and doing research. But something sets him off again for a similar 'quest' as in Raiders and Crusade.

The funny thing behind this movie will be parts having to do with Indy's age and so on.

That's what I know.

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Ooh, I know!! Maybe he'll go after the remains of Indiana, the family dog!! :D

Anonymous
06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I've been waiting for this movie almost as long as I've been waiting for a VH reunion. I hope George Lucas doesn't scew it up, many Star Wars fans have been complaining about the guy as of late. Now, I couldn't give a rat's arse about Star Wars, but I love all three Indiana Jones movies and I'd hate to see this one ruined.

For starters: Is Harrison Ford playing Indy? I know it seems difficult for him to pull it off, but didn't Sean Connery return to James Bond when he was almost 60? You know, that movie with Kim Basinger. If they made Connery look young on that one, nowadays they'd make wonders on Ford.

And is Sean Connery returning as Indy's father? Also, there's no way anyone but John Rhys-Davies could play Sallah. And if Denholm Elliott's not gonna play Brody, they might as well leave the character out.

And is the story any good? The first three stories were absolutely brilliant, and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles were also up to the par, although they were a different sort. Now, after all these years, can someone recapture Indy's spirit?

I think, as a fan, that THESE are the points Lucas should focus on... Let's hope he doesn't screw it up. Then again, I already bought the Indiana Jones package (the original three movies, digitally remastered in THX and with grate picture quality, plus an extra DVD with bonus material) so what the hell am I worried about? If Lucas goes on a rampage and ruins this movie and destroys the others with 'added special effects', I already have the true treasures preserved...

Cheers! :bottle:

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
If Lucas goes on a rampage and ruins this movie and destroys the others with 'added special effects', I already have the true treasures preserved...

Cheers! :bottle:

That's the spirit!

Seshmeister
06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
I think, the last I heard, Marcus and Sallah were up for repeat appearances as well, but I heard that a year ago, so who knows what script re-writes have been done...

Seems a tad unlikely.

Marcus died of AIDS in 1992..:o

Bill Lumbergh
06-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I never knew Aids killed him........maybe they're planning on a CGI Marcus for the movie.........

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Seems a tad unlikely.

Marcus died of AIDS in 1992..:o

Hunh?

Seriously?

...I bought a new Playstation video game with him in it in late '99! :confused:

bueno bob
06-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh, oh oh oh oh....fuck, never mind, brain fart - I thought you were talking about John Rhys-Davies! HAHAHA!

Warham
06-01-2005, 05:36 PM
He died of a bad blood infusion.

Poor guy.

Rikk
Originally posted by bueno bob
I say bring back Karen Allen, frankly.

Easily the most beautiful of all the Indy girls. This chick was a goddess.

bueno bob
Originally posted by Rikk

Agreed.

twonabomber
06-01-2005, 07:24 PM

i kinda dug Alison Doody.

yes, i said it.

DOODY.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-01-2005, 08:34 PM
I love all 3 of the Indiana Jones Movies-and often watch them back to back. I like the 3rd one best, becaue of Sean Connery.

I dunno, if its about the problems he faces at being old-it might be OK. But, if its not, it will ruin the series, they'll have to be careful.

Rikk
06-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
i kinda dug Alison Doody.

yes, i said it.

DOODY.

She was cute too, but she wasn't really the same kind of Indy girl to me because she was evil...actually, it was really only Karen and Kate that were classic Indy girls because they were actually on his side. And Kate was fine, but a little too whiny and just not as pretty as Allen (IMO). But Doody was a true piece of ass.

Seshmeister
06-02-2005, 09:23 AM

Was being the word.

She's 53 now...!

Seshmeister
06-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Latest rumor is that Calista Flockheart is going to be in it.

It's going to be called "Indiana Jones and the Fishfaced Skeleton Queen"