PDA

View Full Version : DEEP THROAT Revealed?

Nickdfresh
05-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Report: Ex- FBI official says he was 'Deep Throat'

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 Posted: 12:41 PM EDT (1641 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/POLITICS/05/31/deep.throat.ap/story.felt.jpg
Vanity Fair reports that W. Mark Felt says that he was "Deep Throat."

NEW YORK (AP) -- A former FBI official says he was the source called "Deep Throat" who leaked secrets about President Nixon's Watergate coverup to The Washington Post, Vanity Fair reported Tuesday.

W. Mark Felt, 91, who was second-in-command at the FBI in the early 1970s, kept the secret even from his family until 2002, when he confided to a friend that he had been Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's source, the magazine said.

"I'm the guy they used to call Deep Throat," he told lawyer John D. O'Connor, the author of the Vanity Fair article, the magazine said in a press release.

Felt was initially adamant about remaining silent on the subject, thinking disclosures about his past somehow dishonorable.

"I don't think (being Deep Throat) was anything to be proud of," Felt indicated to his son, Mark Jr., at one point, according to the article. "You (should) not leak information to anyone."

Felt is a retiree living in Santa Rosa, Calif., with his daughter, Joan, the magazine said. He could not immediately be reached for comment by The Associated Press.

The Washington Post had no immediate comment.

Felt is one of a number of people who have been named over the years as the source whose disclosures helped bring down the Nixon presidency. Others include Assistant Attorney General Henry Peterson, deputy White House counsel Fred Fielding, and even ABC newswoman Diane Sawyer, who then worked in the White House press office.

In 1999, Felt denied he was the man.

"I would have done better," Felt told The Hartford Courant. "I would have been more effective. Deep Throat didn't exactly bring the White House crashing down, did he?

www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/31/deep.throat.ap/index.html

FORD
05-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Figs already started a thread on this one.

Closing, on "dupe" grounds.