Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
two of the biggest legends in boxing history

who would win?

my pic

MARCIANO

Matt White
06-02-2005, 12:22 PM
After watching several of his biggest fights, again, last weekend on ESPN Classic, I'd have to say The "Black Superman" Muhammad Ali.

In his prime he was the total package.

BRILLIANT!:D

Fairwrning
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Ali was the real deal...never saw Marciano..but i would bet on Ali...

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 02:38 PM
The most interesting thing about Ali...is that he missed his prime years not going to Vietnam...and being stripped of the title...

he left the boxing game the undisputed champ...

and a dancer with immense power...

he came back from the banning much less mobile...but able to take a punch...able to strategize better than anyone...and with great power...sneaky power...

In his prime...Cassius Clay was the greatest boxer of all-time...

Marciano had the hands of stone...and of course...was undefeated...

but I think would get a bit outclassed by Ali in his prime...I do think it would probably go the distance...and Ali would win a unanimous decision for landing more punches...stealing rounds...and doing what Ali did better than anyone...

outstrategize his opponent...

good thread...

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
ali would win easily with the 20 year difference and the size difference ...just like Lennox Lewis would probably beat Ali due to size and strength and how boxing has progressed through time

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:40 PM
ali by K.O.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
ali would win easily with the 20 year difference and the size difference ...just like Lennox Lewis would probably beat Ali due to size and strength and how boxing has progressed through time

Ali would have had to have a different stratagy from the "rope a dope" thing...cause Rocky was a power puncher, like Frazier, but even more so.

Frazier lost two of the three fights with Ali, but still kicked his ass pretty good every time. :D

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
he also beat Forman who is argueably the best power puncher ever...behind tyson

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
plus marciano is white

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Boxing hasn't progressed IMO

They used to go 15 rounds...and 15 HARD rounds right from the first bell.

They used to pull the padding out of the gloves too.

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
plus marciano is white

...and undefeated. :D

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:49 PM
ask any pro boxing analyist i have hear Max Kellerman talk about this same topic before on his show in Fox Sports he says going through different eras it will always be the newer fighter to win...unless the more recent guy sucks

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 02:52 PM

omg lewis wouldnt touch ali,he is good but he isnt in the same class as ali

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:53 PM
he is bigger...better reach more physical i think lewis would play with ali like a doll....and i dont even like either of them

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
im going with the rock because ive never seen anyone take a punch like he could.wow and he hit so hard.Ali would dance around him but if rocky got him in a corner it would be good night ali

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 02:58 PM
when have you ever seen him fight ...ur 15 i have seen 2 ali fights and never seen marciano

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
ive seen alot of ali fights and ive seen a fair few marciano fights....my dad's a huge boxing fan and ive been watching it since i was 4.so in response to your question ya ive seen both of them fight.

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
i could never see someone who is undersized and barely hanging on to the heavyweight class beat someone who is tall with good reach with the talent of ali

DrMaddVibe
06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Ali.

The rope-a-dope would've stymied Rocky.

Now, Ali vs. Tyson...in their prime?

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Marciano was a power puncher...I disagree about being more of a power puncher than frazier...who was a classic stalker...just like Marciano...

Marciano was relatively small...5'11"...and generally fought at 185 pounds...and took beatings in his fights...but was smart...would punch the arms of his opponants until they couldn't lift them...leaving rounds 10-15 to mercilously hammer his opponants...

Frazer was any bigger than Marciano...and fought nearly the same way...they were the same style...no doubt...

Ali...was much bigger...could fight with any style...threw bombs...had a great jab...and could beat stalkers, sluggers and boxers...

he was 56-5...lost to Frazier--who he eventually beat twice...lost to Norton...whom he beat 8 months later...Lost to Leon Spinks (huge upset), whom he beat 7 months later...

retired...then came back 2 years later...and looked horrible in losing to Larry Holmes by getting knocked out...then lost the following year to Trevor Berbick...

you almost can't count those two losses...

He was unbelievable...and never turned down a fight...

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Ali Vs Tyson in there prime would be AMAZING.

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
I honest to christ think if Cus D'Amato would have not died...and been around to dictate Tyson's career...he would have been the best heavyweight of all time...

but once D'Amato died...Tyson lost focus...and lost his career...

Tyson in his prime...still would have lost to Ali...because Tyson in his prime was when he was 21-22 years old...and Ali would have eaten him for breakfast...

and whoever said Lennox Lewis would have beaten Ali...is on crack...

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
yeah i think it would be close because ali would be flustered out fo the gate bc of how strong and relentless tyson is....but as in every tyson fight if he survived through 3 ali would win

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 03:08 PM
lets keep Tyson Vs Ali to that thrad and stay on topic here guys

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:11 PM
im not on crack lewis is way more pyschical packs a better punch and can go the distance ali never fought anyone like that

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 03:13 PM
come on,Ken Norton was better than lewis,Sonny Liston was better than lewis,George Foreman was better than lewis,Leon Spinks was better than Lewis and Ali beat um all

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
i wouldnt say that lennox is smart he got out on top with his money and everything and his voice in tact did you see how easily he dismantled tyson and ali can hit like that plus ali never had to contend with someone taller than him or with more reach

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:33 PM
im not on crack lewis is way more pyschical packs a better punch and can go the distance ali never fought anyone like that

I know you are young...so I'm not going to say anything about this statement...

Lewis has a great jab...

as far as being more physical than anyone Ali fought in the 60's and 70's...no fucking way...not even close...

Ali made a living out of making guys like Lewis look like retards...

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Redball..if you are seriously making a case for Lennox Lewis being better than the fighter that is generally considered the GREATEST BOXER in any division of all time...

then you need to lock yourself in one weekend...and watch some fight film...

Ali was 6'3"...and fought from 185 pounds...to 230 pounds...

Norton was 6'3...and a cut 220...

Foreman is 6'3"...and at the time...a cut 220...

Holmes was 6'3"...and at the time...a cut 220...

Lewis was 6'5"...and 245...weight was HUGE difference...and Ali would have made him pay for it...

Ali's jab is much better than Lewis', who many say has the 2nd best jab...

but Ali had power...Lewis generally didn't...and Ali was the smartest in ring fighter of all time...

You make it sound like Ali fought midgits...

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Ali made a living out of making guys like Lewis look like retards... [/B]

and thats the end of that chapter

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
And Lennox still has plenty of time to come back...and he will when the fighter with the title is worth a boatload of money...

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
lewis is 6 7

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Lewis...at all of his weigh-ins...was listed at 6'5"...

you can say he's 6'7" until you are blue in the face...but you'd be listening to the idiots in England..and you'd be wrong...

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
In the International Boxing Hall of Fame...he's listed as 6'5"

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 03:44 PM
his pysichality alone is too much for ali ....and like i said early ali never fought anyone lewisess size 6-3 is smaller than 6-5

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
OK...

congratulations...

you are the only person in the world that thinks Lewis' physicality (LMFAO) would beat Ali...when Lewis wasn't a physical boxer...

and he only had a 2 inch reach advantage on Ali...which wouldn't have amounted to anything...

if you think 2 inches in height and 2 inches in reach are a big deal...

and if you really think Lewis is a good fighter...

then you probably don't know as much about sports as I initially thought...

like I said...watch some Ali fights...which I doubt you've done....

Lewis wouldn't have lasted 5 rounds with ANY of the big 4 of Ali's day...

Hell...Lewis would have gotten dropped by Holmes as well...

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Ali did fight boxers of Lewis' size...they just weren't champions...like Norton, Foreman and Frazier...

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Ali did fight boxers of Lewis' size...they just weren't champions...like Norton, Foreman and Frazier...

Frazier took the title from Ali in '71...so I would consider him a champion, even though he didn't have the title when they fought the second time.

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
No...big fat Sammy...I WAS SAYING NORTON FOREMAN AND FRAZIER WERE ALL CHAMPIONS when Ali fought them...

I was saying that Ali fought BIGGER fighters than those three who WEREN'T title holders...

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 04:43 PM
i was never a big lewis fan myself,he is a good fighter but i wouldnt say he is anything more than good...certainly not in the same class as muhammad ali

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Not in the class of any of those guys...

Big Fat Sammy
06-02-2005, 05:25 PM
No...big fat Sammy...I WAS SAYING NORTON FOREMAN AND FRAZIER WERE ALL CHAMPIONS when Ali fought them...

I was saying that Ali fought BIGGER fighters than those three who WEREN'T title holders...

Ok :D I see

Fairwrning
06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Ali would handle Tyson the same way he handled Foreman....

Fairwrning
06-02-2005, 05:29 PM
how about Aaron Pryor vs. Sugar Ray Leonard....

Fairwrning
06-02-2005, 05:30 PM
to me ..Pryor is one of the baddest mofo's on the planet

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Ray Leonard all the way

Fairwrning
06-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
Ray Leonard all the way
no way..hell..he dodged Pryor a few times..Pryor wanted to fight him

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 05:40 PM
butter bean now there's a man

jk

Redballjets88
06-02-2005, 05:44 PM
you are the only person in the world that thinks Lewis' physicality (LMFAO) would beat Ali...when Lewis wasn't a physical boxer...

me and max kellerman...a guy who knows more about boxing in his left nut than any of us

VHdamaco
06-02-2005, 06:30 PM
i can't stand kellerman after 10 minutes...

i need to watch a couple of marciano fights, but from what i've seen of ali, its a no contest with any of these other fighters...

my only question...

no love for haseem rahman?