PDA

View Full Version : Eagles: Kearse inks eight-year deal

ALinChainz
03-03-2004, 05:02 PM
by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, March 3, 2004

News

The Eagles made a big splash in the free agent market by signing defensive end Jevon Kearse to an eight-year, $66 million contract on Wednesday. According to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, the deal includes a $16 million signing bonus and $4 million in roster bonuses. Kearse, 27, has played all five of his NFL seasons with the Titans. He played in all 48 regular season games and recorded 36 sacks in his first three campaigns, but a foot injury limited him to only four games and two sack in 2002. Kearse then played through a handful of maladies to appear in 14 games and record 9.5 sacks last season.

Views

The Eagles are notorious for not going after big-name free agents, so they were not one of the many teams thought to be targeting The Freak. Injuries and the loss of Hugh Douglas hurt the Eagles' defensive line in 2003, but with Kearse, Corey Simon, and Hollis Thomas, Philadelphia has to be feeling pretty good about their front four.

Troy
03-03-2004, 05:54 PM
What about they're offense??? Are they going to go after a WR? I don't think this was the best of moves IMO...

ALinChainz
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
They have a ton under the cap. I don't think they're done because you are right, they need a wide receiver in a bad way.

DLR7884
03-03-2004, 08:11 PM
They said they aren't going after a big name WR.

DLR7884
I guess they don't like going to the Superbowl.

Gmoney
03-03-2004, 08:42 PM
$66M for Kearse.....not bad for a guy that will not play an entire season again!!

Lou
03-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Yeah I don't think they'll be going after Terrell Owens, though I wish they would.

They certainly needed a D-Lineman though, so this was a pleasant surprise to hear today. I listen to sports radio here all the time and I never heard any indication that the Eagles were going after Jevon Kearse. BUT, he's gotta stay healthy and that is a concern.

Mama's Fool
03-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Yeah I don't think they'll be going after Terrell Owens, though I wish they would.

If they got Owens, first of all they would blow a ton of dough. He's been around for a while. Secondly they would have to give up draft picks unless his appeal to thel league works out. The team needs depth right now so they can't give up picks since they are letting Taylor and Vincent go. Thirdly, they can't go after a big name receiver since none are available.
The only viable option they have is to trade up to get one in the draft. That isn't likely to happen since they have what the 29th or 30th pick. They wouldn't be able to get high enough to make it worth their while.

ALinChainz
03-04-2004, 11:54 AM
With what happened with Owens, the botching of his contract situation where his agent did not file the necessary paperwork on time to void the deal, someone will have to trade for him.

Then the team that does (looks like Baltimore might have the most interest now) has to decide whether or not to have him play under his current deal (about $6 million this season) and renegotiate after the season. Who knows if T.O. will go for that, but that would be the thing to do. This guy is very much "high risk, high reward".

But Baltimore was dead last I believe in passing, so they may be willing.