PDA

View Full Version : RIP-George Mikan

POJO_Risin
06-02-2005, 01:37 PM
A great player...size before his time...

Longtime NBA great Mikan dies at age 80

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- George Mikan, professional basketball's first dominant big man who led the Minneapolis Lakers to five NBA championships, has died, family members said Thursday. He was 80.

Six-foot-10 with thick glasses, Mikan was so effective as a center at DePaul that he forced the NCAA to adopt the goaltending rule.

Mikan had suffered from diabetes and kidney failure. One leg was amputated several years ago, and he recently was hospitalized for six weeks for treatment of a diabetes wound in the other leg. He also underwent kidney dialysis three days a week.

Last Saturday, he was moved from the hospital to a rehabilitation center, his son, Terry, said. He died Wednesday night, according to family members.

Mikan's Lakers won five of the first six NBA titles after the league was formed in 1948. He averaged 23.1 points per game in seven seasons with Minneapolis before retiring because of injuries in 1956. Mikan was the league's MVP in its inaugural 1948-49 season, when he averaged 28.3 points in leading the Lakers to the NBA title.

A statue was erected in honor of the NBA Hall of Famer outside the Target Center in Minneapolis.

In recent years, Mikan has spoke out against the small pensions given to those who played in the league before 1965. Terry Mikan said most of his father's awards and memorabilia had been sold. Mikan received a monthly pension check of $1,000, his son said.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
In recent years, Mikan has spoke out against the small pensions given to those who played in the league before 1965. Terry Mikan said most of his father's awards and memorabilia had been sold. Mikan received a monthly pension check of $1,000, his son said.

Yeah, I saw a story about this on HBO....

Brett
06-02-2005, 11:25 PM
RIP to the first true MDE.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-03-2005, 08:21 AM
BTW, Shaq has offered to pay for his funeral....

Classy move....

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Shaq offered to pay for it?....no shit...

I agree...classy move...

Brett
06-03-2005, 11:54 AM
ZZZZZ

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHA...I Love it...

Brett
06-03-2005, 12:31 PM
You knew it was coming man. :)

The Big Attention Whore had to make sure and get out his intentions on the air, god forbid he quietly contact the family like a normal person would. What right does he have to talk about the family's financial situation to the general public?

I hope the Laker organization picks up the tab and fatty can keep his money.

Funny how Shaq couldn't find a way to attend the funeral of who most feel is the most-important person in Laker history, play-by-play man Chick Hearn, but now he's George Mikan's biggest fan. Gee how nice.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I knew it was coming...it's why I posted it...

I'm sure the Lakers will pick up the tab...will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I don't know Brett...

You know I'm a Laker fan as well, and I concur with you on a lot of the basketball-related crap that Shaq has pulled...

But you have to admit, the guy does his part with charitable stuff off of the court...

I remember the two semi's full of toys he bought for kids in LA during the holidays...

I give the guy his props for offering to pick up the tab....

Brett
06-03-2005, 12:44 PM
I think it's cool of him to offer, I think how he did it however was classless. That's just my opinion obviously.

Yes he does the toys thing, actually I think he still did here this year too, and yes that's nice. But everything with this guy needs to be a big publicity stunt. Can't he just fucking donate quietly like MANY athletes do. It always seems he makes anything he does charitable always about him and not the cause.

POJO_Risin
06-03-2005, 01:36 PM
You know Brett...I'll concede that. Shaq does have to make everything bigger than life...and it does ring with a publicity stunt.

I do think, however, that Shaq does it because he gives a shit for the most part. I don't think he's a bad person...just that he has created the Shaq persona...and lives it to the fullest.

He stoved the Lakers...no doubt about it. I think part of why he did it was legit...and part wasn't.

We agree on most of it...I'm just not as vehament about it as you are.

Shaq cracks my ass up...but of course...I'm not a Laker fan...

Brett
06-03-2005, 01:47 PM
There is no doubt in my mind he gives a shit about Mikan, and that his feelings about him are genuine.

Everything to the guy is just one big publicity stunt, even a fucking funeral.

And it was pretty shitty of him not to show up for Chick's funeral. Every other Laker was there (including enemy #1 Kobe who said Chick was like a father to him), and tons of Lakers from the past showed up. It was disrespectful, especially considering how much Chick loved Shaq. That still bothers me.

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Shaq arranges funeral for Mikan
Posted: Friday June 3, 2005 1:13AM; Updated: Friday June 3, 2005 3:20PM

MIAMI (AP) -- The family of George Mikan accepted Shaquille O'Neal's offer to pay for the late center's funeral expenses.

O'Neal said arrangements were finalized Friday. "Everything's going to be handled," O'Neal said.

Mikan, the NBA's first dominant big man, died Wednesday night at a rehabilitation center in Scottsdale, Ariz., following a long fight with diabetes and kidney ailments. He was 80.

O'Neal said he greatly enjoyed getting to know and speak with Mikan on several occasions. Shortly after the Heat beat Detroit 88-76 in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals on Thursday night, O'Neal said he would like to handle the funeral costs.

"I heard they were having some trouble, some problems, so if you contact the Heat office, I would like to pay for the funeral," O'Neal said.

O'Neal and Mikan are linked by leading the Lakers franchise to multiple NBA championships; Mikan carried the Minneapolis Lakers to five titles in a six-year span. O'Neal led the Los Angeles Lakers to three consecutive championships from 2000-2002.

Copyright 2005

POJO_Risin
06-04-2005, 12:17 PM
http://si.com/magazine/features/2005/sicover.111196.jpg