PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy 5150 if it were available in an instrumental format?

MK5150
06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Would you buy 5150 if it were available in an instrumental format? I've heard some of the tracks and Ed's guitar is pretty good on some tracks like "5150", not nearly as good as the first six albums but still pretty good.

Figs
06-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by MK5150
Would you buy 5150 if it were available in an instrumental format?

no

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 12:43 PM
No, it's meant to have vocals on it.

If they did an instrumental album...concieved as an instrumental album, I would buy it.

No, I take that back, I would download it for free. :D

Anonymous
06-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Nah... no Dave, no VH. Instrumental only is almost as bad as Hagar.

Cheers! :bottle:

MR.ALIAS
06-03-2005, 01:30 PM
yeah only a few people can pull off that kinda stuff....steve vai is one

Matt White
06-03-2005, 01:41 PM
"Would you buy 5150 if it were available in an instrumental format?"

FUCK NO

academic punk
06-03-2005, 01:46 PM
No. Sammy is only 50% of the why that album blows.

In fact, two-thirds of the album w/out the vocal tracks would sound like the soundtracks from mid-80s Pepsi commercials.

ALMOSTsaved
06-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Personally I like some of the guitar work on that album, but the tone is sterile.

Last_Child
06-03-2005, 02:52 PM
hmm...I think not.

Big Fat Sammy
06-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Personally I like some of the guitar work on that album, but the tone is sterile.

My exact thoughts. :)

ben halen
06-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Definitely. Also, those electronic drums are hideous.

seenbad
06-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Some of you guys are just high. Your adamant dave or the grave stance is projecting you towards hypocrasy at the speed of sound.

Jump out of your mind for just a second. Imagine in 84 that Dave went off and did the Dave TV/movie thing and the sisters put out an instrumental, then Dave came back and things have been rocking ever since. Would you still have your mental boycott? No. It would be considered a cool interlude between albums with some seriously kickass guitarwork that you would respect. You absolutely know I'm right, stop kidding yourselves. If you deny that, you are a dipshit, a liar, and not worthy of my attention in the least. This is truth, because I'm pretty fucking cool and chances are, you're not.

Why did I choose the word hypocrasy? Because, it wasnt' Dave that made van halen. It was the chemistry of the 4 of them together (Granted it was stylistically fronted by Dave and Ed). If you can't respect the musicianship, then you can't respect the music, then you can't respect CVH. If you can't listen to the music without Dave (just by itself with no other singer), then you can't listen to the music with Dave. Dumb fuckers. Shit. What the hell is the matter with your abdula oblongatas?? You make yourselves sound like fools sometimes. I know I know, it's cool to show your blind allegiance at the "Roth Army" and all that....get's you cool points, but shit man. To the point of making you look like a dipshit?

I'm all about CVH, but it doesn't take away from my appreciation of some of the guitar work on 5150.

Would I buy 5150 without Sammy and just an instrumental? Fuck n' A dude. Anybody who likes guitar would.

academic punk
06-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by seenbad
Some of you guys are just high. Your adamant dave or the grave stance is projecting you towards hypocrasy at the speed of sound.

Jump out of your mind for just a second. Imagine in 84 that Dave went off and did the Dave TV/movie thing and the sisters put out an instrumental, then Dave came back and things have been rocking ever since. Would you still have your mental boycott? No. It would be considered a cool interlude between albums with some seriously kickass guitarwork that you would respect. You absolutely know I'm right, stop kidding yourselves. If you deny that, you are a dipshit, a liar, and not worthy of my attention in the least. This is truth, because I'm pretty fucking cool and chances are, you're not.

Why did I choose the word hypocrasy? Because, it wasnt' Dave that made van halen. It was the chemistry of the 4 of them together (Granted it was stylistically fronted by Dave and Ed). If you can't respect the musicianship, then you can't respect the music, then you can't respect CVH. If you can't listen to the music without Dave (just by itself with no other singer), then you can't listen to the music with Dave. Dumb fuckers. Shit. What the hell is the matter with your abdula oblongatas?? You make yourselves sound like fools sometimes. I know I know, it's cool to show your blind allegiance at the "Roth Army" and all that....get's you cool points, but shit man. To the point of making you look like a dipshit?

I'm all about CVH, but it doesn't take away from my appreciation of some of the guitar work on 5150.

Would I buy 5150 without Sammy and just an instrumental? Fuck n' A dude. Anybody who likes guitar would.

Have you heard any of Mick Jagger's solo work without Keith? Does it bear any resemblance to what he accomplishes when he's writing, arranging, and producing in the context of his partnership?

I rest my case.

academic punk
06-03-2005, 08:30 PM
P.S. Not to be a bitch, but if you're going to accuse people of "hypocrisy", it might be worth your while to spell it correctly.

Nickdfresh
06-03-2005, 08:39 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Nickdfresh/VHagar5150.jpg

seenbad
06-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
P.S. Not to be a bitch,

Probably shoulda stopped there then big fella. ;)

Rikk
06-03-2005, 08:49 PM

Gotta agree with SEEN here. If everybody on this site claims the only reason classic VH was good is because it had Dave, then they'd have little reason to want him to get back with the band. There is some good music on that CD (and Eddie's other non-Dave albums). For me, it's the vocals and SOME of the music that ruins it. A track like GET UP would be pretty good with Dave on it...in fact, Dave would make it good. A track like LOVE WALKS IN, however, would be shit no matter who is singing on it. And Dave would never sing that garbage.

Dan
06-03-2005, 08:59 PM
NO.

Matt White
06-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Again, FUCK NO.

The music on 5150 was cliched, morose, and "POP".
It bores me to tears.
I wouldn't be slightly interested in a EVH solo recording. when CLASSIC VAN HALEN cut a record, many peoples input an opinions went into every song. EVH on his own?!? I heard those 3 new abortions on BOBW. I rest my case.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE...DAMN STRAIGHT.:D

Anonymous
06-04-2005, 02:54 AM

It's not Dave or Sammy. It's that VH had only ONE musician, a showman, a backup singer (who happened to play the bass) and a... well, a... a bitch. And one musician doesn't make an album. At least not without someone to sell it. That's where Dave walks in. He SELLS the music.

Take Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen's albums. For a guitar aficionado, they're all grate and I agree, but they're showing what you can do with a guitar, not playing music - although Malmsteen's work tends to follow a more traditional approach to music, as opposed to Vai's work, all songs in his albums seem to be nothing more than 'intros' to his solos. My favorite albums from those two are Vai's Sex & Religion and Malmsteen's Fire & Ice, 'cause THAT'S where they made proper music. That's where they had a proper band. Is instrumental kewl? Sure, when there's a lot of musicians giving their input on the tracks, several instruments played properly up to the point of virtuosism. But you can only listen to ONE guy for so long. And that's what 5150 is all about. Eddie, and Eddie alone. And it bores me to tears.

Would I buy it if Dave left for that album and came back the next? Sure, it WOULD be an interlude and maybe something worth keeping, just to say 'I have all VH albums' much like I do with Manowar or Helloween. But Dave DIDN'T return. Only once to record two songs and nothing more, as he states himself in his book. Would I like it? Only as much as I like Manowar's 'Louder Than Hell' or Helloween's 'The Dark Ride'. Not much.

Anonymous
06-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
It's not Dave or Sammy. It's that VH had only ONE musician, a showman, a backup singer (who happened to play the bass) and a... well, a... a bitch. And one musician doesn't make an album. At least not without someone to sell it. That's where Dave walks in. He SELLS the music.

Take Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen's albums. For a guitar aficionado, they're all grate and I agree, but they're showing what you can do with a guitar, not playing music - although Malmsteen's work tends to follow a more traditional approach to music, as opposed to Vai's work, all songs in his albums seem to be nothing more than 'intros' to his solos. My favorite albums from those two are Vai's Sex & Religion and Malmsteen's Fire & Ice, 'cause THAT'S where they made proper music. That's where they had a proper band. Is instrumental kewl? Sure, when there's a lot of musicians giving their input on the tracks, several instruments played properly up to the point of virtuosism. But you can only listen to ONE guy for so long. And that's what 5150 is all about. Eddie, and Eddie alone. And it bores me to tears.

Would I buy it if Dave left for that album and came back the next? Sure, it WOULD be an interlude and maybe something worth keeping, just to say 'I have all VH albums' much like I do with Manowar or Helloween. But Dave DIDN'T return. Only once to record two songs and nothing more, as he states himself in his book. Would I like it? Only as much as I like Manowar's 'Louder Than Hell' or Helloween's 'The Dark Ride'. Not much.

I can't believe I wrote all that just when people decided to stop posting in this thread. It's not fair!

So... Bump! :D

dysfunction
06-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by MK5150
Would you buy 5150 if it were available in an instrumental format? I've heard some of the tracks and Ed's guitar is pretty good on some tracks like "5150", not nearly as good as the first six albums but still pretty good.

No, buy it as is. If you like CVH, I assure you will like 5150. Greatest Van Halen record to date.

DeadOrAlive
06-05-2005, 06:48 PM
When I heard the song 5150 for the first time, I was like wow they ruined a perfectly good song. The intro was great, but as soon as the vocals started, the instruments fell and it became a huge steamy pile of crap.

Dr. Love
06-05-2005, 08:33 PM
The only songs I find 'musically' acceptable on 5150 are ...

Good Enough
Summer Nights

and maaaaaaaaaybe Best of Both Worlds. But the recordings themselves are pretty bad imho. The guitar tone and electric drums just kill it for me.

It sounds very lime green, which is terribly bright and unpleasant.

DeadOrAlive
06-05-2005, 10:02 PM
I hate the changes they made... The tone sounds like total crap.

mentalpancake
06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
There is some good music on that CD (and Eddie's other non-Dave albums). For me, it's the vocals and SOME of the music that ruins it. A track like GET UP would be pretty good with Dave on it...in fact, Dave would make it good. A track like LOVE WALKS IN, however, would be shit no matter who is singing on it. And Dave would never sing that garbage.
Exactly how I feel.

mentalpancake
06-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by dysfunction
No, buy it as is. If you like CVH, I assure you will like 5150. Greatest Van Halen record to date.
No, just no.:rolleyes:

Terry
06-08-2005, 08:09 PM

The guitar work on the title track is decent.

As for the rest of it, the way that album was produced sounded like shit when it was first released, and it hasn't gotten any better with age. Ed's tone turned into mid-range slush. Had read that the new drum room at 5150 studios wasn't finished when they started recording, hence the overreliance on electronic drums. Those Simmons tom fills sound fuckin' terrible.

Outside of Ed's solos, there's really not enough going on musically to be of any interest in a strictly instrumental format (and even the solos aren't spectacular, considering what Ed had done on the 6-pack stuff). In other words, just taking off Sam's vocals off the tracks ain't gonna make 'em sound any better.

Big Troubles
06-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Some of you guys are just high.

some? and what do you mean by "just"? Like its a bad thing. :D

Ive always said I liked 5150 for the most part. Sam or no Sam. VH was on a roll with and after 1984 so naturally the music will reflect that period of time. get Up, 5150, Good Enough and Summer Nights are all well musically written songs. Im a HUGE Roth fan and I can at least admit that. But its def. not the weed talking when I say EVERYTHING after 5150 was pure and utter liquid shit. They turned commercial and creativity took a back seat and politics happened in the group.

academic punk
06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
I maintain that without Dave, Eddie and the boys recorded little or nothing that is of remote interest to me.

The guitar work was meeting the same standards? FUCK, NO!!! You're gonna compare the solo from "WCTBL?" to "eruption" or the solos on 1984's "Jump" or "HFT"???

Sorry. Before the breakup i was neither a "Dave" not an "Eddie" person. I was a VH fan, period. So there's nothing I would've loved more than TWO great bands being the result of the breakup. BUt Ed and his brother? They lost it. Immediately.