PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys-Johnson Agreement Reached; Waiting on Galloway

ALinChainz
03-03-2004, 08:04 PM
from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:20:33 -0800

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Keyshawn Johnson is another step closer to joining the Dallas Cowboys. Sources close to the situation said Johnson and the Cowboys have agreed to terms on a restructured deal that is incentive laden. It would pay Johnson about $25 million over five-years.

The only remaining glitch appears to be the Buccaneers slow negotiations with WR Joey Galloway, who would be sent from the Cowboys to the Buccaneers for Johnson. The Buccaneers have been open to receiving a draft choice from the Cowboys for Johnson, but since they only have five picks in the draft that may be unlikely.

Gmoney
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't trade a sack of shit for Johnson!!! Sounds like a dumb trade for the Cowboys!

NE169
03-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Landry will be rolling in his grave!!! :( :mad:

Lou
03-04-2004, 01:45 AM
Keyshawn Johnson is just an average receiver with a mouth. At least Terrell Owens backs up his words.

Mama's Fool
03-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Yeah, but at least Keyshawn will take a hit. I can't stand the guy, but he's a very good possession receiver. He'll be good for Parcells. Works out good for Tampa. They need a better deep threat, but maybe Galloway won't work out either if he can't stay healthy.

ALinChainz
03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
The Cowboys gave up a lot to Seattle when they aquired Galloway. He's done nothing. Johnson is a big mouth and an asshole, but he will take a hit, he will catch the over-the-middle stuff, and he is a decent blocker for a wide receiver, which Parcells loves. I think the Cowboys get the better of the deal. T.O. is just as bad as far as being a locker room cancer. But he is a game breaker, where Keyshawn is not.

Bob_R
03-19-2004, 03:52 PM
This deal is now officially official!

Dallas Completes Keyshawn-Galloway Deal
Fri Mar 19, 12:08 PM

IRVING, Texas - Keyshawn Johnson's reunion with Bill Parcells is finally ensured.

Three weeks after agreeing to a contract with the Parcells-coached Dallas Cowboys, Johnson was able to sign it Friday after Joey Galloway agreed to be dealt to Tampa Bay in a swap of receivers.

The Galloway-for-Johnson deal was in the works since late February. It was delayed because Galloway and the Buccaneers couldn't agree on a contract.

The Bucs offered Thursday a one-year deal for $2 million with another $600,000 in reachable incentives, according to a source close to negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity. Galloway wanted to sleep on it before making a final decision.

His Dallas deal would've paid $6.31 million this season, but the Cowboys likely would've cut him once they got Johnson. Galloway said he knew when he signed his seven-year, $42 million contract with Dallas in 2000 that it was going to change.

"There was no doubt in my mind I'd have to take a pay cut," Galloway said. "We just had to come to an agreement on what the contract would be. I think both sides had confidence it would get done. There was no point in time did I want to play with anyone but Tampa Bay."

Johnson was so confident he was coming to Dallas that he already began house hunting.

After all, had the trade fallen through, Tampa Bay would've released him by April 1 to avoid paying a $1 million roster bonus, and he would've signed with the Cowboys as a free agent. His new contract is for $20 million over four years with a $4 million bonus.

Both players are former 1,000-yard receivers coming off down years. Both originally were acquired for two first-round draft picks and neither lived up to expectations, although the Bucs did win a Super Bowl with Johnson.

Tampa Bay made Johnson inactive the final six games last season, citing his ongoing squabbles with coach Jon Gruden as a detriment to the team. Similar problems aren't anticipated in Dallas because he'll be playing for Parcells, his coach for three years with the New York Jets.

While Johnson played only 10 games, his numbers (45 catches for 600 yards and three touchdowns) were almost as good as Galloway put up in 15 games - 34 catches for 672 yards and two TDs. They were his lowest totals in his three full seasons with the Cowboys.

Starwood
03-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Keyshawn is mediocre on his best day - even in his USC days. Overrated and a bad move for the Boyz.