PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years for Passing a Joint: Stop this Bill Now

Hardrock69
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Republican Congressman James Sensenbrenner has launched his next assault on freedom. The full House Judiciary Committee is set to vote as early as next week on H.R. 1528, which creates a new group of mandatory miniumum penalties for non-violent drug offenses, including a five year penalty for passing a joint to someone who's been in drug treatment.

That's right: Passing a joint to someone who used to be in drug treatment will land you in federal prison for a minimum of five years.

The "Defending America's Most Vulnerable: Safe Access to Drug Treatment and Child Protection Act of 2005" (H.R. 1528) was introduced by House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI) on April 6, and it has already passed out of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

We warned you about this bill last September. It's now coming home to roost. Please visit here to e-mail your U.S. representative and two U.S. senators today. Stop this bill in its tracks.

Marijuana Policy Project reports:

In addition to the shocking joint-passing provision described above,the bill would also create a 10-year mandatory minimum sentence for a first-time conviction of distributing a small amount of marijuana to a person under 18 years of age ... and a 10-year sentence for a second offense of distributing marijuana to a person under 21. By comparison, the average time served by convicted rapists in this country is about seven years.

MPP does not condone the distribution of marijuana to minors, nor do we advocate the use of marijuana by people recovering from substance
abuse problems. But we do believe that judges should have discretion to determine whether or not offenders in these circumstances deserve to be imprisoned for sentences as long as five or 10 years. If these mandatory minimum sentences are enacted, judges'hands will be tied.

This bill has traction because it also contains a section that serves as the House Republican leadership's response to a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that made the Federal Sentencing Guidelines advisory, rather than mandatory.* The Republican leadership is highly motivated to pass this bill -- and with it, the harsh new penalties related to marijuana.

The bill will now be debated and voted on by the full House Judiciary
Committee and -- if the committee passes the bill -- the full House
will then vote on it.

Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM) also has an action alert on this bill. Here are the gory details, courtesy of FAMM:

* Makes the federal sentencing guidelines a system of mandatory minimum sentences through a "Booker-fix" provision.
* Creates new mandatory minimums that further erode judicial discretion.
* Eliminates the safety valve for low-level drug offenders.
* Makes virtually every drug crime committed in urban areas subject to "drug free zone" penalties that carries a five-year mandatory minimum sentence.
* Punishes defendants for the "relevant conduct" of co-conspirators that occurred BEFORE the defendant joined the conspiracy.

As written, H.R. 1528 would:

* Effectively make the federal sentencing guidelines a system of mandatory minimum sentences through a "Booker-fix" provision. This provision forbids judges from departing below the guideline sentence in all but a few cases.

* Make the sale of any quantity of any controlled substance (including anything greater than five grams of marijuana) by a person older than 21 to a person younger than 18 subject to a ten-year federal mandatory minimum sentence.

* Create a new three-year mandatory minimum for parents who witness or learn about drug trafficking activities, targeting or even near their children, if they do not report it to law enforcement authorities within 24 hours and do not provide full assistance investigating, apprehending, and prosecuting the offender.

* Create a new 10-year mandatory minimum sentence for any parent committing a drug trafficking crime in or near the presence of their minor child.

* Mandate life in prison for persons 21 years or older convicted a second time of distributing drugs to a person under 18 or convicted a first time after a felony drug conviction has become final.

* Increase to five years the federal mandatory minimum sentence for the sale of a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school, college, public library, drug treatment facility (or any place where drug treatment, including classes, are held), or private or public daycare facilities - in short, almost anywhere in cities across the U.S.

* Eliminate the federal "safety valve," granting it only when the government certifies that the defendant pled guilty to the most serious readily provable offense (the one that carries the longest sentence), and has "done everything possible to assist substantially in the investigation and prosecution of another person," and would prohibit the federal "safety-valve" in cases where drugs were distributed or possessed near a person under 18, where the defendant delayed his or her efforts to provide substantial assistance to the government, or provided false, misleading or incomplete information.

This is absolutely sickening. As we said last week,

Sensenbrenner is a one-man disaster for justice. He's been the driving force behind the Real ID Act and bills to strip judges of their discretion in sentencing and subpoena judges' records. In 2004, he wanted to add mandatory minimum penalties to non-violent drug offenses (one example: a five year mandatory minimum sentence for passing a joint to someone who had been in a treatment center.)

Don't let him get away with it.

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/010374.html

FORD
06-06-2005, 09:57 AM
As I implied in another thread, the REAL purpose of this bill will be revealed later when these so called "drug offenders" are given the "choice" of prison or the "voluntary" military.

Senselessbrenner is a fascist's fascist. Hitler would be very proud of him.

Nickdfresh
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM
More ridiculous bullshit! Say, I have an idea. How about a minimum five-year sentence for someone that uses a firearm in the commission of a crime? Oh wait, the NRA is a major campaign contributer...my bad.:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
06-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by FORD
As I implied in another thread, the REAL purpose of this bill will be revealed later when these so called "drug offenders" are given the "choice" of prison or the "voluntary" military.

Senselessbrenner is a fascist's fascist. Hitler would be very proud of him.

Interesting...And I also noticed in the "TOP 10 CONSERVATIVE IDIOTS" thread that using drugs won't get you thrown out of the military now. A major departure from when I was in.

kentuckyklira
06-06-2005, 10:06 AM
A friend of mine got fined 500€ for getting caught with 2 gramms of cocaine on him and and god knows how much up his nose!

Am I glad I live here and not in "The Land of the Free"!

FORD
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
A friend of mine got fined 500€ for getting caught with 2 gramms of cocaine on him and and god knows how much up his nose!

Yeah, here the Republicans would select your friend as the next pResident.

Hardrock69
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, I knew a guy in the 70s who was in the U.S. Army's drug rehab program and was failing his UA tests all the time (he would TELL THE COUNSELOR what they were going to find that week in his urine sample) and was still told by his superiors that they were not going to let him out of the Army.

He later hatched a plan to get out and was successful, despite the best efforts of his commanding officer.

FORD
06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

He later hatched a plan to get out and was successful, despite the best efforts of his commanding officer.

Did he turn gay? Or at least appear to be so?

Nickdfresh
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Well, I knew a guy in the 70s who was in the U.S. Army's drug rehab program and was failing his UA tests all the time (he would TELL THE COUNSELOR what they were going to find that week in his urine sample) and was still told by his superiors that they were not going to let him out of the Army.

That was the "old Army" I heard about while in during the late 80's. They could afford to be a little more selective then. But I heard a lot of stories about the 1970's era U.S. Army and drugs/illiterate criminals.

BigBadBrian
06-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira

I'm glad you live there also. :gulp:

kentuckyklira
06-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I'm glad you live there also. :gulp: Wow, we can actually agree on something!

4moreyears
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Did he turn gay? Or at least appear to be so?

Fags should not be in the army. there are no curtains for them to put up in a war zone.

Nickdfresh
06-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Fags should not be in the army. there are no curtains for them to put up in a war zone.

Why would you put up curtains in a war zone?

BTW, did you know that a gay guy brought half of the U.S. Army's traditions of Drill & Ceremony to us from Prussia. Baron Von Steuben was a fruit, yet he was critical in helping to establish a disciplined Continental Army.

FORD
06-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears

Don't be surprised if the BCE suddenly changes their policy on gays in the military.

Not because they give a shit about gay rights, but because a lot of desperate soldiers might decide to "turn queer" if it's their only way to get out of Iraq alive.

And they can always hang the curtains inside the mess tent.

Guitar Shark
06-06-2005, 02:04 PM
http://www.bravotv.com/images/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/photo_carson_pic.jpg

Nickdfresh
06-06-2005, 02:14 PM
That's how JIM MORRISON got out of 'NAM.

Angel
06-06-2005, 02:25 PM
I think I'll go smoke a joint while I ponder this ridiculous law. Damned I'm glad I'm a Canuck! ;)

FORD
06-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Angel
I think I'll go smoke a joint while I ponder this ridiculous law. Damned I'm glad I'm a Canuck! ;)

Never underestimate the BCE spy satellite....
http://kh.google.com/kh?v=1&t=tqtrtsrrststq

hollywood5150
06-06-2005, 05:04 PM
hey Ford what part of Cananda you from?

FORD
06-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150

About 3 hours south of Vancouver :cool:

hollywood5150
06-06-2005, 05:06 PM
curious because i wanted to know where the majority of Canibis comes from..........

how does it get to the Canadian border/interior??

and what part of Canada has the Highest concentration??

hollywood5150
06-06-2005, 05:07 PM
are you familiar with Maple Ridge or Pitt meadows BC??

FORD
06-06-2005, 05:17 PM
are you familiar with Maple Ridge or Pitt meadows BC??

Not really... Probably driven through there a couple times. eastern suburbs of Vancouver, right?

FORD
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
curious because i wanted to know where the majority of Canibis comes from..........

Oh, that's an easy one....

BC "Southern Interior". The Climate is basically like Arizona, but with water & trees.

I love that place!

hollywood5150
06-06-2005, 05:23 PM
are you familiar with UBC?? University of British Columbia???

ever been there???

FORD
06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
are you familiar with UBC?? University of British Columbia???

ever been there???

Driven through the campus. Great location though.

And the BCE constantly watches the place too.....

http://kh.google.com/kh?v=1&t=tqtrtstqqtstsrtt

Angel
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Never underestimate the BCE spy satellite....
http://kh.google.com/kh?v=1&t=tqtrtsrrststq

That shot is south of the N Saskatchewan River... I do all my smoking on the North side. ;)

Angel
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Driven through the campus. Great location though.

And the BCE constantly watches the place too.....

http://kh.google.com/kh?v=1&t=tqtrtstqqtstsrtt

C'mon Ford, they're just trying to catch the nudies at Wreck Beach. :D

Angel
06-06-2005, 06:27 PM

He's NOT, he's a wannabe Canuck ;) I'M the one you should be asking those types of questions. :D

Angel
06-06-2005, 06:35 PM

To answer your questions... the majority of Canadian Cannabis is grown in Canada. Mostly in BC, however grow-ops can be found anywhere in the country.

I'm not sure what you mean by how does it get to the border/interior.... It's grown here.

Canada is too big of a country to be able to determine which part has the most pot. BC Bud has long been considered the best in the world, but for the most part you can find it anywhere. I understand Quebec is another "big one". The province I'm in, Alberta, is extremely conservative, so it's not as prevalent....However, I am licensed to grow for my husband, as he has a medical marijuana license for his Parkinson's. It's pretty cool when we go out of town. We have to let the cops know, so that they can keep an extra eye on the place.

In other words, when we're away, the cops protect our stash for us!

I LOVE my Country! :D

hollywood5150
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
ever tried some of that southern shit?

South Texas........??

Angel
06-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I haven't smoked anything but Canadian bud in years. In my youth it was Columbian, Thai, & Mexican.

You can't get better than BC Bud though, even High Times will tell you that. ;)

superdave
06-06-2005, 06:47 PM
the drug laws in the United States are so damned stupid, they need to worry about real crime....

hollywood5150
06-06-2005, 06:49 PM
ok I'll take your word for it...........I was just inquiring because of the price range and difference..........

you know the supply and demand type shit...........usually a dime here cost 20 to 30 bucks elsewhere........(north of here) primarily midwestern states

atthe different types........you know the seedless shit.........got some here.......... i heard it is better..........

and of course...........that is just one opinion........

not neccesarily mine