View Full Version : Former Supporter Joins Foes over War

DLR'sCock
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Former Supporter Joins Foes over War
By Michael Levenson
The Boston Globe

Sunday 05 June 2005

Speaks for peace after son's death.
Two years ago, Brian T. Hart, an avid supporter of the American military mission in Iraq, wrote to the Board of Selectmen in Bedford to complain about a 20-foot banner strung from the front of the First Parish church that read, "Speak Out For Peace."

Today, Hart, now a blistering critic of the campaign in Iraq, plans to return to the church on the town green to speak out for peace at the pulpit.

The reason for his transformation: His son, Private First Class John D. Hart was killed outside Kirkuk, Iraq, in October 2003 when insurgents firing small arms and rocket-propelled grenades attacked his unarmored Humvee.

"I don't care if they call me un-American," Brian Hart said Friday as he ignored a tall glass of iced tea sitting before him on the back porch of his home in Bedford. "I've come full circle in saying the best way to support the troops today is to give them a plan to exit Iraq."

Hart, 46, grew up in a conservative Texas family, served as president of the Republican club at the University of Texas, and voted for President Bush in 2000. His daughters, Rebecca, 18, and Elizabeth, 14, are members of the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps at Bedford High School.

The peace banner went up in early 2003. That July, John Hart saw the sign as he prepared to leave for Iraq on his first tour of duty with his unit, the 173d Infantry Brigade. John asked his father to help get the sign removed.

Brian Hart wrote to the Board of Selectmen, contending that the peace banner violated the town's historic zoning codes. At a board meeting, he threatened to file a lawsuit. John Eric Gibbons, the Unitarian minister whose congregation had hung the blue-and-white banner, agreed to take it down. Hart was pleased.

Three months later, John was dead, one month past his 20th birthday. First Lieutenant David R. Bernstein of Phoenixville, Pa., was also killed in the attack. Bernstein was 24.

Days later, at Bernstein's graveside, Hart said an Army sergeant told him that US troops were lacking supplies. At his son's funeral, Hart said a soldier who had been in the Humvee during the fatal attack also told him that their Army unit lacked armor and ammunition.

Hart began studying the way the Army supplies its soldiers. He met with US Senator Edward M. Kennedy, spoke with other members of Congress, and developed contacts with military suppliers and service members. What he learned about Humvee armor disturbed him, he said.

"Congress was being told that the plants were at full capacity," Hart said. "They were just lied to. Hundreds of kids died from over this issue alone."

Gibbons and Hart have grown closer since they clashed over the banner two years ago. Now, they discuss the war.

"It seems to me that Brian's quest, like that of any father, is to make meaning of his son's death," Gibbons said. "And it seems to me that his quest has been for the truth and to make sure that he knows and the American people know the conditions that we're asking young people to fight in."

Hart's cousins and uncles in Texas no longer speak to him, he said.

And he worries that some in Bedford, home of Hanscom Air Force Base, may turn against him.

He never considered himself an activist. He laughs at the notion. "Isn't that ironic?" Hart said. "I mean, I'm no pacifist, that's for certain, but this is not right. Where we're at today is not right. It's not right for America. It's not right for the troops. It's not right for the Iraqis."

US Representative Martin T. Meehan, who is also scheduled to speak at the church today, said Hart helped him to secure $700 million in funding for Humvee armor.

Now, Hart is backing Meehan's plan to gradually withdraw US troops from Iraq.

"Oftentimes, when you work on military issues, political charges are that you're not being patriotic or you're not being American or you're not supporting the troops," said Meehan, Democrat of Lowell. "The opportunity to work with Brian is a great opportunity because those arguments are particularly hollow. He's a military person through and through, and no one can question his love for his country."

Hart said he hopes to ignite a discussion, starting in the small church he once challenged.

"Active Army officers are afraid to have this conversation in public, politicians are afraid to have this conversation in public," Hart said. "So I wanted to start this discussion, and hopefully see where this leads."