PDA

View Full Version : Paul McCartney's is one rich dude

Sarge
03-05-2004, 09:12 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20040305/en_nm/people_rich_dc

McCartney Worth More Than Elton, Jagger, Madonna
1 hour, 29 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Paul Majendie

LONDON (Reuters) - Paul McCartney (news)'s fortune is larger than the combined wealth of Elton John (news), Mick Jagger (news) and Madonna (news - web sites), according to a new rich list.

Reuters Photo

AFP
Slideshow: Madonna

Nothing succeeds like Sixties nostalgia, with the former Beatle boasting a 725 million pound ($1.3 billion) worth that puts him streets ahead of the next three in the big league of musicians in Britain.

Among the big hitters, the 45-year-old Madonna is way younger than pop veterans like McCartney, 61, and Tom Jones (news), 63, who have shown their stamina in the multi-millionaire stakes.

Sean Connery (news), the original cinema James Bond, strikes another blow for the older generation in the Mail on Sunday's Rich Report 2004.

The 73-year-old Scotsman tops the list of British male stars with an estimated 66 million pound ($120 million) fortune ahead of Rowan Atkinson (news) and Oscar-winning cannibal Anthony Hopkins (news).

"Hollywood pay packets have made fortunes for half of Britain's richest male showbiz personalities," said Rich Report Editor Rachel Oldroyd.

"Even British comedian Rowan Atkinson had to go to America to turn Mr. Bean into a moneyspinner. Those who have made their money in the UK have had to take a more entrepreneurial view and set up their own businesses," she added.

The big surprise comes at the top of the British female star list which is headed by Tracey Ullman (news).

The comedienne with the 45 million pound ($81.8 million) fortune had a small stake in The Simpsons cult cartoon series which began on her show. That helped to build her fortune.

She heads the female list from "Weakest Link" television quiz presenter Anne Robinson.

Next in line is Oscar winner Catherine Zeta-Jones (news) and it was not just marriage to Michael Douglas (news) that catapulted the Welsh star into the big time.

Film contracts, profit-sharing and advertising deals have helped to carve out her own 30 million pound ($54.5 million) fortune.

Oldroyd said: "Women are really under-represented in the list as a whole because it takes decades to accumulate such wealth. But they are starting to make huge fortunes in television and showbiz where success is rewarded much faster."

"Like men, actresses need to pay a visit to Hollywood before they hit the big time. And brains as well as beauty are required. Wise investment and shrewd merchandising deals have helped to boost showbusiness earnings," she added.

Wayne L.
03-05-2004, 11:41 AM
I don't think it comes as no surprise to anyone that former Beatle Paul McCartney is one of England's richest artist/performers even though the list itself is meaningless.

Mr Grimsdale
03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
next year mr grimsdale #1
just a few alterations to the code i'm working on in the city and i'll be king

Little Texan
03-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Just think how rich he'd be if he would have bought the rights to the Beatles catalog instead of a certain infamous pedophile.

FORD
03-06-2004, 01:36 AM
The odd thing is HOW McCartney is this rich. He hasn't made a dime on Beatles publishing since 1969 - he and John lost the songbook long before Michael Jackson got it. Paul's tours are still making hundreds of millions, but when was the last time the guy sold an album in any decent numbers? I know that stupid "Freedom" song didn't do it.

Not sure what he gets from the continuing sales of the Beatles albums. Probably not much percentage wise, yet still more than he got at the time he recorded them, no doubt.

Ironically - and this is where Michael Jackson got the idea to buy the Beatles songs - Paul makes most of his money from owning publishing of other artists, such as Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Benny Goodman, and Mel Torme just to name a few of the hundreds of artists on the MPL Communications (http://www.mplcommunications.com/list_writers.asp?letter=1) roster.

And ironically enough, Michael Jackson is on the list. Seems that Paul owns the 2 cheesy songs he made with Michael in the 80's.

Oh well, when Michael is forced to sell off the Beatles publishing to pay his lawyers, nobody should be able to outbid Paul this time.

Panamark
03-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Ford, I would have thought the Beatles royalties alone would be worth a fortune. All four of them were/are very wealthy.

Gmoney
03-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Paul should have floated Ringo some dough so he wouldn't have had to do the Thomas the Tank show!!!!

FORD
03-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Ford, I would have thought the Beatles royalties alone would be worth a fortune. All four of them were/are very wealthy.

Artist royalties on records are generally pretty small. At the time the Beatles signed their initial contracts in 1962, probably even smaller. That's why artists make most of their money touring, and if they're lucky enough, controlling their own publishing. In more recent years, some artists with good management have negotiated better deals from the beginning, but that's only because the painful experiences of others remain as a lesson. I would guess, in more recent years that Paul might have renegotialed the royalty rate and that Capitol/EMI wouldn't have objected too much, considering they're still making millions annually off a catalog that's over 30 years old.

I've heard that Ringo started doing the "All Starr Band" tours (and possibly the Thomas the Tank Engine show) because he actually needed the money, so that would imply that royalties weren't paying all that much.

The Knockz
03-07-2004, 11:46 AM
considering Ringo is banging Barbara Bach and Paul was banging Linda McCartney.. I'd say Ringo is doing okhttp://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=barbara+bach/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://vipx.telepolis.com/asombroso/famosas/images/barbarabach.jpg http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=barbara+bach/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://www.omelete.com.br/imagens/cinema/artigos/007/anya.jpg

rustoffa
03-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Does he still have that pot farm in africa?:D

Panamark
03-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Artist royalties on records are generally pretty small. At the time the Beatles signed their initial contracts in 1962, probably even smaller. That's why artists make most of their money touring, and if they're lucky enough, controlling their own publishing. In more recent years, some artists with good management have negotiated better deals from the beginning, but that's only because the painful experiences of others remain as a lesson. I would guess, in more recent years that Paul might have renegotialed the royalty rate and that Capitol/EMI wouldn't have objected too much, considering they're still making millions annually off a catalog that's over 30 years old.

I've heard that Ringo started doing the "All Starr Band" tours (and possibly the Thomas the Tank Engine show) because he actually needed the money, so that would imply that royalties weren't paying all that much.

Even if the royalties were small, lets say 20cents per record. The quadzillions of Beatles albums that have been sold over the last 30 years would still add up to a pretty penny. Remember when John Lennon got murdered, Yoko inherited a friggin fortune. I cant imagine
John Lennon would have been doing too much smart investing, as he was totally smacked out most of the time. Yoko still earns a lot of money from Beatles Royalties.

BITEYOASS
03-08-2004, 02:32 PM
"Even British comedian Rowan Atkinson had to go to America to turn Mr. Bean into a moneyspinner. Those who have made their money in the UK have had to take a more entrepreneurial view and set up their own businesses," she added.

MR. BEAN IS RICH?!?!?! How the fuck did that happen?

BITEYOASS
03-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Can anyone get that picture of Rowan Atkinson and Sean Connery from the movie "Never say never again".

Igosplut
03-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Ford, Paul and John (I.E. Yoko) still collect money from the Northern songs catalog. It started with Dick James (their music publisher) proposing forming a songwriting company (Northern Songs). John and Paul each owned 20%. Brian Epstein ( the Beatles first manager) in lieu of a 25% managment fee got 10%. Dick James, in return for his responsibilites as a music publisher for them got 50%. In literal terms, brian signed 50% of Lennon-McCartney's publishing earnings for NOTHING!!!

Three years later, they floated five million shares on the stock market, efectively turning Northern Songs into a public company. John and Paul got 15% each. Brian got 7.5%. Dick James got an additional 37.5%. the end result of all of this was that Dick James got an controling interest in Northern Songs. And this was the stock that was sold that John and Paul lost the bid on. And also the stock that Michael Jackson bought later down the line (under pauls nose, they were working on that deuet together at the time).

So, while they lost the controlling interest to the catalog, they still collect a little less than half the profit from it. And paul, pehaps learning from past mistakes as bought up quite a few valuable music catalogs, the one that comes to mind is Buddy Hollys.........

FORD
03-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Ah, ok that makes sense. And I'm not surprised it was Epstein's doing. He was a great manager in terms of getting them known in the world, but he made a number of horrible financial moves on their behalf.

Still a better manager than Allen Klein or Ray Danniels though.