06-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Bold statement:since 1990 95% of "ROCK"music from and including
nirvana to greenday is cry baby c@%k sucker along
w/ tinkle potty bottom "RAP" My name is diaper
diapy wet tinkle potty slim.now call me narrow minded
or speak w/ true tounge?

Shaun Ponsonby
06-11-2005, 01:11 PM
If you look around other threads, you will see that most people would agree with you.

Ps-I would add GNR to that list. Because they were in the 90s.

Redballjets88
06-11-2005, 01:28 PM
yeah its true

thome
06-11-2005, 07:23 PM
thanks i thought it was just me

rustoffa
06-11-2005, 08:03 PM
They were pretty disgusted with the state of crap.

thome
06-11-2005, 08:16 PM
the 5% was excellent the two people that own all the radio & vid
and you and i know there is more good rock out there they
just dont give air time to a band that isnt crying about something
silly even the stroke of the git, drum ect sounds whinny .no soul man
DAVES GOT SOUL it bleeds thru you can feel the diff..

Shaun Ponsonby
06-12-2005, 07:03 AM
Brick are heavy?

That is probably the shittest title since sliced bread.

Soul Reaper
06-12-2005, 07:42 AM
no, bricks are soft and spongy :rolleyes:

Hoongood
06-12-2005, 04:30 PM
90s music did suck. About the only exceptions were the few old groups who hung around, including Dave.

The only bands that started in the 90s that I really got into were Jackyl, Pantera, and The various Zakk Wylde bands.

Alice In Chains was pretty good, but if you distill it all down, they probably only produced enough good material to fill album.

Pearl Jam's good songs wouldn't even fill an EP.

Nirvana shit.

All PJ ripoff bands, shit.

BALLYJUNKIE
06-13-2005, 06:27 AM
i really liked no doubt

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I dig the following 90s acts:

NIN
Rammstein
Republica
Pantera
Enigma (though this is not a 'band', just a producer)
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Alanis Morisette

All the rest of the new artists I have heard since 1990 have sucked fucking ass....

It is amazing how much crap the Major Labels put out...it is like a tribe of assholes...all taking a crap simultaneously on the record-buying public...

thome
06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
there were good acts mostly a bunch of sell outs grabbing a sound
you know the one that makes people move its a beat 3/4 4/3
no lyrics(to speak of) repettative shmeg .I dont envy the kids these days
what i saw & listend to starting w/ grand funk live on stage
at 13 in 73 i iant braggin nothin came close till roth van in 78
theres got to be a new crop waiting to be heard.just say no to
brittney rears Except the part about her rear .:p

Terry
06-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Far as Guns and Roses, they peaked with Appetite. By the 1990s, they were pretty much past it, although I suppose I could cobble enough tracks from Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 to make up a decent 30 min album.

Past 1990....let's see.....

Ended up digging the Foo Fighters first album and The Colour And The Shape

Ended up getting into STP. Got all their albums.

Nirvana did some good stuff. Same with Alice In Chains.

Some of Liz Phairs stuff I enjoyed.

Not so much with Velvet Revolver. Thought they were capable of much better than what eventually came out.

Have never had any interest in rap music. Just never did anything for me.

Yep. Would pretty much have to agree with you that the last 15 years hasn't really produced much that's knocked me out/bowled me over in terms of popular music. Keep an ear out as to what's current, end up listening to bits and pieces of contemporary stuff on the radio from various genres, and none of it is inspiring me to go out and buy any stuff from these new 'artists'.

Too much emphasis on image, not enough on content.

Rikk
06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by thome
Bold statement:since 1990 95% of "ROCK"music from and including
nirvana to greenday is cry baby c@%k sucker along
w/ tinkle potty bottom "RAP" My name is diaper
diapy wet tinkle potty slim.now call me narrow minded
or speak w/ true tounge?

Shut up.

Way more good music in the first half of the 90s than during the mid-late 80s, I'll tell ya.

Rikk
06-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Only the old bitch about the last 15 years of music. A sign of age is looking back to some time that most other people don't give a shit about and claiming that it was THE time for music.

It's about keeping an open ear and finding the good stuff.

Big Fat Sammy
06-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Jeff Buckley was the Greatest Artist Of The 90's

Redballjets88
06-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Only the old bitch about the last 15 years of music. A sign of age is looking back to some time that most other people don't give a shit about and claiming that it was THE time for music.

i bitch about it...mostly the past 5 years though

Big Fat Sammy
06-14-2005, 11:57 PM

I understand what you are saying, thats been true up until recent years....but now the mainstream music REALLY sucks.

Even youngsters are asking WTF?

guitarboy5150
06-15-2005, 12:25 AM
my 90's bands were
Guns N Roses
Soundgarden
Foo Fighters
Rage Against the Machine
Nine Inch Nails
Stone Temple Pilots

rustoffa
06-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
no, bricks are soft and spongy :rolleyes:

Give it a listen.

rustoffa
06-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Brick are heavy?

That is probably the shittest title since sliced bread.

They were poking fun @ grunge.

:)

Panamark
06-15-2005, 01:42 AM
I thought the 90's existed for listening to 80's music ?? :p

Jérôme Frenchise
06-15-2005, 08:10 AM
IMO, only metal (death, trash, grind, etc) has generated worthy stuff since 1990. Though I'm not a fan of those musical alleys, I really think that most of the inspiration has lain there for the last 15 years, don't you?

thome
06-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I know, the lamentations of a old man.(I'm Pert neer a hunerd)
what i found last 10 years is tech funk industrial music
reminds me of freeked out chic fusion
give a listen to some John Ingram.

Hardrock69
06-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Some people do not care about music before 1980 simply because they were not alive then.

Those of us who began listening to rock music in the late 60s have got 35-40 years of experience to draw upon, as well as having seen many concerts by the great artists who are no more, due to death, breakups, whatever.

The perfect example is CVH.

Many peeps here understand that CVH would destroy many 90s bands in a heartbeat as far as sheer intensity.

Due to the fact that ProTools and "recording with computers" was unheard of...for the most part if you could not deliver the goods as an artist, you would not find much success.

Sure there were many suckass bands signed, with much crap released (same as today but in much smaller numbers), but the most successful bands and artists of the 60s and 70s were REAL musicians and songwriters, unlike a majority of artists these days who literally do not have to be able to carry a tune in a bucket.

As I say often about CVH, if you never experienced them live, you cannot possibly know how great they are. Video and audio will not do.

So many people out there get the attitude that us older peeps are going on about nothing, when in reality, "nothing" is what has been going on in the music biz since the late 80s....certainly when compared to the era of REAL artists in the 60s-70s...

Soul Reaper
06-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Pantera did not suck, and they were 90's!!!

Soundgarden did not suck, and they were 90's!!!!

Faith No More definitely did not suck, and they were 90's!!!!

SweetSecrets
06-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Well, I must say that music has slowly started to suck more and more since the 80s. I mean, the 80s were awesome...there were some really kick ass bands (most of which REALLY started in the late 70s), but in the 80s we also had the hair bands that started to convert music into mascara.

The nineties tried desperately to hold on to authenticity, with bands like Stone Temple Piolets and Sound Garden, who's biggest influences were Hendrix and Zeppelin...of which such elements can be heard in their music. They made some good stuff, but there is just something that was missing....something that I think could only seep out through cracks in the generations. I think we are a bit desensitized now by technology..so much that even a Pink Floyd reunion concert would not seem as amazing as it USED to be. Back then I think music was magic to people...it was much harder to believe that music could be so powerfully dimensional, existing in such melodic mastery, but now, it's hard to feel those same effects because its been there and been done. I know I wasn't alive in the seventies and was too young in the 80's to really be able to give an unbias opinion...but I think that is what makes my belief unique. I can look at the pictures and old documentaries when I was still a figment of God's imagination, and see and feel something that just isn't present today in music. Something has been lost.

superdave
06-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Nine Inch Nails were the best thing to come out of the 90's

Hardrock69
06-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Them and Rammstein.....

Jérôme Frenchise
06-15-2005, 06:43 PM
The criterion is POSTERITY. Have those bands you mention from the 90s left anything definitive?
You know, stuff that will live on through time, like (at random) "Crossroads", "Voodoo Chile", "You can't always get what you want", "A quick one", "Ramble Tamble", "I'm yours and I'm hers", "Dazed and confused", "20st century schizoid man", "Sleeping village", "One of these days", "Starless", "Tattooed lady", "Lick and a promise" or "Running with the devil"?
I doubt it. :cool:

thome
06-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Each and every youth group has its music. my dad thought rock sucked
his dad thought swing sucked on & on cave man dude thought
gaks rib bone freestyle sucked.but there was such a change
in music. Rock that is, Grand Funk 1970 Zep Ozzy then Roth Van
ushered in a new style late 70"s.big ....CHANGES in the BANDS
uproach to deliver their goods.... 1990 depression era cry baby B.S.
Rap is just a constant remake of the exact same tune AND I MEAN
THE EXACT SAME TUNE (Dig my hos' ass while i show you how much
paper money i can shove up it) come on dude have just one original
thought....there is good music out there its just simply some one ownes all the air time.AN he dont like rock&roll.

Hoongood
06-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Shut up.

Way more good music in the first half of the 90s than during the mid-late 80s, I'll tell ya.

No fuckin way!
The late 80s was the heyday of hard rock music. The 90s was the wake.

Terry
06-15-2005, 10:09 PM
There was plenty of fluff music in the 1980s, without a doubt. It's not like everything released prior to 1990 was great and everything that's come out since sucked. Shit, there were plenty of 'metal' bands in the 1980s (Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Trixter, Winger, Poison, etc.) who I thought sucked big-time back then, and rock was the genre I was into most.

Some good stuff came out in the 1990s, agreed. Maybe older members are guilty of just not listening after a certain point. If I hear something from a current band that I dig, would definitely check out what the group has to offer. Until then, I'm not gonna submerge myself in a bunch of contemporary stuff just so I can be up to date.

thome
06-15-2005, 10:25 PM
All music apealls to me i just like the best of what it is and what it is
is is what i think it is some body else mite think he knows what it is
but it is'nt so listen to this What it is man!

AAALLLRIIIIIITE !!!!!

Hoongood
06-16-2005, 07:06 AM
If you like to hear songs with energy and guitar solos (which I would expect from the members of a CVH site) then the 90s sucked ass!

95%, or more, of the 90s bullshit was a complete abortion of boring, tired, heroin powered songs with no energy or guitar solos.

Panamark
06-16-2005, 07:17 AM
The more time passes, the more we realize the older music was the real deal.
Like a caveman carving out the first wheel, Rock Muscians
playing raw instruments without technological intervention is the
stuff that inspires our inner voices and creative appreciation.

The best music is human music. Where the notes are played
from the reactions of a human, not a programmed time
sequenced souless beat. When computers became involved
music started to lose its essence.

Give the music to the machines, lose the soul...

thome
06-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
The more time passes, the more we realize the older music was the real deal.
Like a caveman carving out the first wheel, Rock Muscians
playing raw instruments without technological intervention is the
stuff that inspires our inner voices and creative appreciation.

The best music is human music. Where the notes are played
from the reactions of a human, not a programmed time
sequenced souless beat. When computers became involved
music started to lose its essence.

Give the music to the machines, lose the soul...

dude thats what im trying to say thanks
however computer generated music has its place
but if it is used to replace not assist then your rite on
unless thats what you want

BUT THAT AINT ROCK AN ROLL ALLLLRIIIITTTE!!
(iam trying to write allright like "cool")
(but it looks like im pissed, not the deal)

Soul Reaper
06-16-2005, 01:14 PM
There's always has been sucky music, through whatever era of music. This era is no different except that I'm having to live through it.

ASDF125250
06-16-2005, 11:31 PM
I agree with Panamark and Thome 100%. I would also like to say, is that possible the modern way to record music is to blame. When was the last time a band actually played as a band to record an album? Now, it seems that the guitar track can be recorded in Canada, and the drum track can be recorded in australlia, and be meshed together to form a song. It's not right. It's not right to record each track seperatly and then mesh them together to form a song. All the instruments should be recorded playing together, just like you would hear at a live performance, all of them playing TOGETHER. I guess, to me, is that new music sounds so fake. Possibly, this could be to blame.

Big Fat Sammy
06-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by ASDF125250
I agree with Panamark and Thome 100%. I would also like to say, is that possible the modern way to record music is to blame. When was the last time a band actually played as a band to record an album? Now, it seems that the guitar track can be recorded in Canada, and the drum track can be recorded in australlia, and be meshed together to form a song. It's not right. It's not right to record each track seperatly and then mesh them together to form a song. All the instruments should be recorded playing together, just like you would hear at a live performance, all of them playing TOGETHER. I guess, to me, is that new music sounds so fake. Possibly, this could be to blame.

Yeah thats true...It's not so much multitracking as it is the digital sterilization...sucking all the life out of it. It's alot of guitar players using preset settings rather than learning how to get the real thing. And alot of overcompression....jacking up the CD volume at the cost of dynamics and vibe. :)

thome
06-17-2005, 10:56 PM
revelation to a old thought
like when the fat cat says we can make some money off
this little hooch cause she got jessica simpson last name
to bad she cant sing oh' we can fix that

the mix can correct her tone, pitch, key ,,inflection we can
take her ridiculous voice and reshape it to sound like
witney houstons singing

just don't let her try to sing for real then we are all busted
No we will just find another bimmby to dupe the public.

I don't mind some correction but give it to me.................................. close to like its live BABY!!!!

Hardrock69
06-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by ASDF125250

I am somewhat guilty of that, as I gave up years ago on actually thinking of getting a band together. Now I just write and record my own stuff, and I do not have to argue with anyone over how I want it to sound.

But as a result, my stuff sometimes does not have that spontaneous combustion that can only be achieved by musicians jamming in the same room....

thome
06-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeah, but that Pic is cool.

BALLYJUNKIE
06-03-2007, 09:58 PM
to me the most original band to come out of the 90"S by far was " no doubt " with gwen stefani ......yes i know i dont like the direction she has taken solo ...... but "no doubt " was very original sounding ,gwen stefani singing style was very different than any one else ...... it was called ska but it really was rock ...... i hope they get back together .

thome
06-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by BALLYJUNKIE
to me the most original band to come out of the 90"S by far was " no doubt " with gwen stefani ......yes i know i dont like the direction she has taken solo ...... but "no doubt " was very original sounding ,gwen stefani singing style was very different than any one else ...... it was called ska but it really was rock ...... i hope they get back together .

They had a very cool clean Dance/Rock thing going.

Kida a heavy Pop/Rock/Dance

Unlike Van Halen who managed somehow to Rock and Roll Heavy
yet make it Swing.

I'm Down with No Doubt Gwen seemed to drift into the Beat and left
content and soul behind her stuff now is jus a TechPop in the Box
beat with her Visually making you think it's cool cause she is
doing the Camera change evry 9/10ths of a second trick to the point
where your mind can't follow the sceen and all you think is this is exciting. It Ain't

In the club her tunes are the Dance Beat you want, she doesn't even need to be on the trac.

binnie
06-04-2007, 03:06 AM
I'm a believer that if you search hard enough, there are great bands in all eras. I agree that most of the major's put out products rather than bands, and that the radio also plays shit, but there have been some fantastic bands since the 90s:

For really heavy shit:

Pantera, as mentioned.
Max Caverlera era Sepultura, "Chaos AD" and "Roots" are two of the best, and most innovative, heavy records you'll ever hear.
Machine Head. A staggering band, whose debut "Burn My Eyes" has to be a 90s highlight. There 2007 record, "The Blackening", is also as good as it gets.
Strapping Young Lad (City, in particular, is an schizophrenic head-fuck of a record)
Corrosion of Conformity with Pepper Keenan (one of the world's most underated song-writers. Blind, Deliverance, Wiseblood, America's Volume Dealer and In the Arms of God are all spectacular records)

For dirty rock n roll since the 90s:

Love/Hate
The Supersuckers (amazing good-time punk rock n roll, ass kickin tunes and performances)
Bullets and Octane
Hardcore Superstar
Crystla Pistol
Crank City Daredevils
Salty Dog
Pride & Glory (Zakk Wylde)
The Black Crowes

For great music from the 90s:

N.I.N
Soundgarden
Fu Manchu (possibly the heaviest thing you'll ever hear, in a Black Sabbath/stoner kind of way)
Kyuss (amazing, trully amazing)
Masters of Reality (possibly the first stoner rock band, and Chris Goss has produced most of the stoner rock classics)
STP (especially Core and Purple)
The Screaming Trees

Some great British/ Irish bands:

The Wildhearts
The ALmighty
Therapy?

binnie
06-04-2007, 03:18 AM
Oh, and Helmet.

They are one of the 90s best kept secrets....