PDA

View Full Version : Which did you find funnier? Bad News VS Spinal Tap

Shaun Ponsonby
06-11-2005, 01:51 PM
BAD NEWS

(The Comic Strip Presents...The Bad News Tour/More Bad News)

Starring the Crem Da La Milk of British comidians:

Adrian Edmonson (wrote/directed as well)
Rikk Mayall
Nigel Planer
Peter Richardson
Jenifer Saunders
Dawn French

Featuring cameos from:

Philthy Animal (Motorhead)
Fish (Marillion)
Lemmy
Ozzy
Def Leppard
Rudolph Schenker (Scorpions)
Klaus Meine (Scorpions)
Tommy Vance (DJ who presented the ledgendery Frisay Rock Show on Radio 1 and broke many of the great bands we all love)

SPINAL TAP

(This Is Spinal Tap)

No need to explain, we've all seen it.

I'm going for Bad News. Rikk Mayall and Adrian Edmonson are just brilliant. Rikk Mayall's character (Colin) is just a dick! Slips in dogshit, takes his shoe off to get rid of it and then slips in it again with no shoe on!

And when they played Donnington, that was fucking genious!

They ACTUALLY played Donnington, you know!

I have never found Spinal Tap as funny as people say it is. It is very clever and very accurate, but its not as funny as people said.

tydhurst
06-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I just didn't think spinal tap was all that funy.

Redballjets88
06-13-2005, 12:05 AM
yeah me neither

Shaun Ponsonby
06-13-2005, 06:57 AM
You should all watch Bad News.

flappo
06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
i love bad news , it's fakkin grate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A447950

much funnier than tap

and tap COPIED them , bad news came out 1982 , tap in 83 !!!

flappo
06-13-2005, 07:42 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A447950

Bad News is a spoof heavy metal band created in 1983 as part of the UK TV series The Comic Strip Presents. The band is often referred to as 'The Comic Strip's answer to Spinal Tap', despite the fact that This Is Spinal Tap1 was not released until 1984.

The four members of Bad News are:

Vim Fuego - the egotistical vocalist and lead guitarist, played by Adrian Edmondson

Colin Grigson - the posh and unpopular bassist, played by Rik Mayall

Den Dennis - the remarkably stupid rhythm guitarist, played by Nigel Planer

Spider Webb - the hyperactive drummer, played by Peter Richardson

Their first film, Bad News Tour, follows the band as they set off on the first date of an extremely low budget British tour. Overcoming a broken down van and constant arguments, they finally arrive at the Roxy theatre in Grantham, where they play to four people and a dog.

Due to the popularity of the first film, the Comic Strip team took the unusual step of filming a sequel. 1987's More Bad News shows the band re-forming for a one-off concert, then signing a record contract and eventually playing the Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donnington, where they are beaten up by the notoriously unforgiving crowd.

While the rest of the 'documentary' was a spoof, the footage of the band on stage at Donnington was genuine, as the comics came dangerously close to becoming a real band in 1987. Having played live at the Donnington festival, the band went on to release a comically poor version of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and a self-titled album, both produced by Queen's Brian May. The single reached number 44 in the UK charts, and the album number 69. The band released one further single, Cashing In On Christmas, and an album of studio out-takes, Bootleg, before calling it a day.

The band have so far resisted a Spinal Tap-style comeback, although Edmondson, Planer and Richardson re-formed briefly for a Comic Relief special in 1991, and a compilation album, The Cash-In Compilation, was released in 1993.

flappo
06-13-2005, 07:43 AM
the album is fucking hilarious

and their cover version of bohemian rhapsody has to be heard to be believed !

AHAH

flappo
06-13-2005, 07:54 AM
hey hey bad news !

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/Songs/badnews.htm

flappo
06-13-2005, 07:56 AM
Bad news
Bad news
Bad news
For you and you and you and you and you

Bad news
Bad news
Bad news

Can't you see a devil woman
Don't you know blah, blah, blah
Don't you see screaming virgins
Don't you know a mega watt wind avenger

2, 3, 4

Bad news
Bad news
Bad news

Bad news
Bad news
Bad news
Colin Grigson

Spider Webb

Bad news
Bad news
Bad news

Den Dennis
Yeah?
In - what?
It's your break
Oh, sorry

Vim Fuego

Bad news
Bad news
Bad news

Bad news
Bad news
Bad news

Can't you see heavy woman
Don't you know metal fury
Don't you see demon lager
Don't you know blood lust paradise metal

Shaun Ponsonby
06-13-2005, 09:59 AM
This is my first stickied thread!!

Love the one where they play Donnigton. Particulary Rudi Schenker!!

"Bad News, ah, scheisse!!!"

and Ozzy "They were fucking awful, man!"

:D :D :D :D

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Bad News kicks Spinal Taps ass....

Yes Spinal Tap was fairly accurate, but the humour was too dry for my taste. It was a psuedo-documentary, and so did not come off as actually that "funny".

Bad News on the other hand is a fucking riot!!!

When they get into the studio, and Vim is playing on some shit amplifier, and Den comes along pushing a brand new Marshall half-stack and they then get into a fight over who gets to use it....

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:38 PM
And the gig where they end up getting stiffed by the club-owner...

Oh my fucking gawd...they were absolutely horrible!!!

And that is what made it so funny....

The guys in Spinal Tap could actually play their instruments well....but Bad News were absolute crap, and so listening to them is like hearing a bunch of 3rd grade kids picking up their guitars for the first time, and playing through a bunch of shitty amps...

And who could forget Vim trying to play a fucked up, horribly bad version of John Lennon's "Imagine" on a reallly shitty Casio-type keyboard...

Shaun Ponsonby
06-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Thought it was a bit cheesey the way they were all fighting, and then became best friends again at the end.

It was like "and they all lived happily ever after".

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Colin: The last point on my list is this, er... this "cosmic clause" thing. "Rights to exploitation on any planet now, or yet to be, known to man."

Rachel: Yeah.

Colin: Well, what does that mean?

Rachel: Oh, that's just a little bit of nonsense. I mean, all it means is, when we land on Mars and find lots of little Martians there who, let's face it, are bound to be into Bad News, we can sell your records to them.

Den: Far out!

Colin: Oh. (Laughs.) Okay, okay. Right, so to sum up the main points again... The contract lasts five years, but you don't have to put out any records if you don't want to, although if you don't want to, we're still under contract to you, and we're not allowed to make any records for anybody else. And we get four and three-quarter percent of ninety percent of a hundred, minus fifteen percent of retail, but there's no advance, which means absolutely no cash whatsoever for us upfront.

Rachel: Yeah, that's about right, yeah.

Colin: Mm. (Inhales thoughtfully, sticks his pen in his mouth, thinks for a second, looks at Rachel, smiles and nods.) Well, alright, I'll sign that. (Signs the contract.)

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Actually here is a great Bad News page...it has the entire script from "More Bad News" (which is where I got the above pix and script excerpt).

http://homepages.tesco.net/~acp/badnews/

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
While the rest of the 'documentary' was a spoof, the footage of the band on stage at Donnington was genuine, as the comics came dangerously close to becoming a real band in 1987. Having played live at the Donnington festival, the band went on to release a comically poor version of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and a self-titled album, both produced by Queen's Brian May. The single reached number 44 in the UK charts, and the album number 69. The band released one further single, Cashing In On Christmas, and an album of studio out-takes, Bootleg, before calling it a day.

Man, I bet Brian May had a hilarious time porducing their record!!!

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Script - BAD NEWS TOUR (http://homepages.tesco.net/~acp/badnews/bntscrpt.htm)

Script - MORE BAD NEWS (http://homepages.tesco.net/~acp/badnews/mbnscript.htm)

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Interesting thing....Jennifer Saunders of Absolutely Fabulous fame had a major role as a groupie/wannabe rock journalist...

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
:D

Terry
06-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Have to give Tap a slight edge, although Bad News was hilarious.

DlocRoth
06-13-2005, 04:14 PM
the bass player..

Mr Badguy
06-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I love them both but I like Bad News better.

It`s more like the kind of shit that happens when you`re in a band yourself, real small time shit.

No one turning up at your gigs, the van not starting, crap stage names to cover up your crap real name, the guy with short hair wearing a wig, ordering one hundred pints of lager...

We`ve ALL done that shit rather than a bunch of rock stars talking about how they`ve done the "Spinal tap" stuff.

Ozzy Fudd
06-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Our Band Was Spinal Tap LMAO:D

Hardrock69
06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
The name of the record label in Spinal Tap was a hoot...Polymer Records...

Vinnie Velvet
06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Bad News were hilarious!

I loved both movies, especially 'More Bad News' where you get big bands of the time like Def Leppard commenting on them!

Mr Badguy
06-17-2005, 07:01 PM
"Two quid for one bloody sausage?"

Shaun Ponsonby
06-18-2005, 05:47 AM

flappo
06-18-2005, 10:16 AM
yeah , and the liner notes on the album were fucking hilarious

i must try and dig them up on my mac !

haha

flappo
06-18-2005, 10:20 AM
this is a small but high res copy of the bad news album interior

there's some funny pix in there !

Reverberator
06-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Bad news was the bollox .

Donnington 1986 .

FUCK off bad news .

Awesome .

Hardrock69
06-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Damn Flappo...I woul LOVE to have an actual vinyl copy of their album...

I hate the fact that these days you cannot have the full-size album covers with cds that we had with vinyl....

Seshmeister
06-18-2005, 08:14 PM
I watched More Bad News the other night when it was on. I guess that's what made this thread appear.

I really love both. If you watch the Bad News thing closely just before they take the stage at Donnington they are not acting at all, they are genuinely shitting themselves.

Comparing it with Tap is kind of oranges and apples. Tap is more subtle and timeless I think. The writing is less obvious and many stars of a certain era thought it wasn't a paradoy more a reflection of the stuff that happened to them.

I used to prefer Bad News but now I prefer Tap.

Cheers!

:gulp:

baaadbobby
06-24-2005, 08:21 PM
ses your one of the fucken biggest weakes bitches ever, i think next time i see your faggoty little ass at rogan i'm gonna ban you.

Seshmeister
06-24-2005, 11:39 PM
You don't even know what we're talking about here sadbooby.

Get a life...

kentuckyklira
06-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
You should all watch Bad News. We are B(b)ad N(n)ews, and we are (B)bad (N)news!

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 09:56 PM
You should all watch Bad News.

Bad news in the video store near my house,is it worth getting out?
ive seen spinal tap but i didnt think much of it

Shaun Ponsonby
06-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Did you see who was in it?

Its WELL worth getting.

Hardrock69
06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
It is certainly worth seeing one time.

To be honest, as funny as Tap was, there were some parts of it I found kinda boring.

Bad News is anything but...

flappo
06-27-2005, 03:16 PM
i agree with that 100%

tap was almost TOO realistic

while bad news was daft but funny from the outset

Pubic Lice
06-27-2005, 03:19 PM
PPPFFFFTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave's Bitch
06-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Pubic Lice
PPPFFFFTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for your valuable input to the thread :)

Shaun Ponsonby
06-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Your getting good at the English sarcasm, Sammy's Bitch!

Dave's Bitch
06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Your getting good at the English sarcasm, Sammy's Bitch!
:)
thanks hun.i can but try