PDA

View Full Version : Cheney: "Maybe [Dean's] mother loved him, but I've never met anybody who does.''

BigBadBrian
06-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Toned-down Dean finds friendly audience at PUSH

June 13, 2005

BY LYNN SWEET WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean paid homage to the House of Jackson on Sunday, making not one but TWO visits to friendly audiences at the Rainbow/PUSH headquarters, trying to tone down the rhetoric that has landed him in so much hot water lately.

Dean's newfound message discipline did not preclude a personal snipe at his counterpart, Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman.

More on that in a few paragraphs, including the insult Vice President Dick Cheney lobbed at Dean -- suggesting only his mother loved him. Why a vice president would throw out juvenile taunts that are so beneath him could take up a whole column.

Dean's litmus test

A priority item for the Rev. Jesse Jackson and his son Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) is extending provisions of the Voting Rights Act set to expire in 2007.

As a longer-term goal, Jackson Jr. wants a voting rights amendment to federalize voting systems, now in the hands of each state.

Voting rights is the theme of the national Rainbow/PUSH conference that continues in Chicago today, with former President Bill Clinton and former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.). Rainbow/PUSH is practically an arm of the Democratic Party, so the biggest names in Democratic politics answer the Jacksons' call to come to Chicago for their big meeting each year.

Dean answered it twice Sunday, at morning and afternoon sessions at 930 E. 50th, encountering a friendly bunch of lefties -- not those eye-rolling Democratic moderates and centrists who cringe at Dean's blunt remarks.

Mehlman, Dean's counterpart, has been methodically courting African-American voters. At the same time, GOP leaders have not endorsed extending the civil rights law that is responsible for yielding most of the minority elected officials throughout the country. Dean reasonably seized on the hypocrisy.

"I do not want to hear any more about Ken Mehlman going to African-American churches," Dean said.

Republicans "ought not to get even 2 percent'' of the African-American vote "in 2008 if we don't have a Voting Rights Act. ... I want the Voting Rights Act reauthorized, and I want the Republicans to lead on it.''

Well, Dean of course is not in a position to tell the Republicans what to lead on. His own words have only caused self-inflicted wounds that raise questions about his own leadership.

In recent weeks, Dean has said Republicans "have never made an honest living in their lives,'' that Republicans are "pretty much a white, Christian party'' and that embattled House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) ought to return home "where he can serve his jail sentence.'' DeLay faces ethics controversies but at present has no criminal charges pending, much less jail time.

Dean, during a press conference Sunday, said backing for renewal of the Voting Rights Act "is a litmus test'' Republicans must pass before they can seek black votes.

"If you are not going to support extension of the Voting Rights Act, then I don't know what right you have to go to a black church and show your face.''

Dean's 'stuff'

Not that this should be about me, but I want to share an exchange I had with Dean that seems to show the edgy side of the doctor, former Vermont governor and 2004 presidential candidate, as well as his frustration with the situation.

I'm listening to radio and television news reports about a back and forth I had with Dean as I write this, so I will provide you the background for what you may have heard. News gathering sometimes gets a little messy.

After Dean talked about this litmus test, I asked him about his support for Jackson's voting rights amendment, which I thought he said in a morning panel discussion he backed. I wanted to double-check.

Dean said, "I haven't made up my mind,'' an answer that confused me since I thought he had.

I figured he misunderstood my question since I could not imagine Dean would be undecided on this one. So I sought in a follow-up to clarify if he was committed to the amendment. Dean, I think, thought I was trying to trip him up.

"That kind of stuff has been going on all week. And I am not answering that question," Dean said.

Rep. Jackson wanted to be helpful. He said his proposed amendment "need not be a litmus test at this stage for how Republicans relate to anyone.''

Dean then said, "Congressman Jackson does not have to speak for me. But the truth is, you don't get to speak for me, either.

"My view is very clear. I support the amendment.''

Dean's mama

Cheney, in an interview to be broadcast today on Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes,'' said Dean "was not the kind of individual you want to have representing your political party.''

On a roll, Cheney said, "I've never been able to understand his appeal. Maybe his mother loved him, but I've never met anybody who does.''

Dean was asked to react to the punch from the vice president.

"My view is that Fox News is a propaganda outlet for the Republican Party and I don't comment on Fox News.''

Dean has been around a long time, and some Democrats who are Dean-friendly are confounded that he gets in these jams.

In the last few weeks, Dean has gone from one rhetorical mishap to another.

Republicans want to demonize Dean, and his "white, Christian'' remark seems to only highlight the success the GOP has had within the evangelical community.

To counter this, Sunday afternoon, Dean talked about the Bible, Jesus, respecting people who disagree with you and the persuasive power of deep convictions.

It came out right.

"Let me remind those Republicans,'' he said, that the Bible mentions helping the poor "3,000 times. I have not yet seen gay marriage mentioned in the Bible. That is a Republican issue.''

Link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-sweet131.html)

Satan
06-13-2005, 12:16 PM
We already have Uncle Dick's ridiculous comments in another thread. The existing Dean threads are sufficient for now. This one isn't neccessary.

FORD
06-13-2005, 12:18 PM
His Unholiness is correct. Closed. Please continue the mindless Dean bashing in the existing threads.