PDA

View Full Version : Here's another question for you

Little Texan
03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
If there is a God, and he created the Earth and everything on it, the stars, and the universe, then tell me, what created God? Where did God come from? What was there before there was God? I know some, or all of you, have pondered this before at some time in your life.

Ally_Kat
03-05-2004, 02:55 PM
that's a big question hun.

it is my wacko theory that we are some science experiement, like God's sea monkeys, and that we bored him so we were placed underneath his bed. Either that or we are the result of God's own personal SIMS game.

Dr. Love
03-05-2004, 02:58 PM
I think the problem you're facing, LT, is the fact that Time is linear only because we (man) say it is. As a linear concept, it has a beginning and end, and everything that is created is destroyed at some point.

If you think of Time as something that is not linear, it means that your question really doesn't apply.

Little Texan
03-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
I think the problem you're facing, LT, is the fact that Time is linear only because we (man) say it is. As a linear concept, it has a beginning and end, and everything that is created is destroyed at some point.

If you think of Time as something that is not linear, it means that your question really doesn't apply.

I have taken that into consideration while pondering this, actually. That still doesn't explain where God came from, I mean, God had to be created also. To say that he has always been around, infinitely, defies logic. I guess it's just something that goes beyond simple human comprehension...it can't be explained using our brand of logic. Saying that something has no beginning and no end just does not compute in this human brain.

Sarge
03-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Who created god?

easy.
DR. NATHAN ROTH and SYBIlL ROTH

Junyore Grades
03-05-2004, 04:01 PM
LOL!!!
Sarge is going to Hell.

alexpgrimes
03-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Junyore Grades
LOL!!!
Sarge is going to Hell. Atleast he won't be alone...lol

knuckleboner
03-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
I have taken that into consideration while pondering this, actually. That still doesn't explain where God came from, I mean, God had to be created also. To say that he has always been around, infinitely, defies logic. I guess it's just something that goes beyond simple human comprehension...it can't be explained using our brand of logic. Saying that something has no beginning and no end just does not compute in this human brain.

i hear that it defies logic to say that God has always existed. but at the same time, if God was created, then God really isn't the Creator. whoever created God is. and then we'd just ask the same question...what created IT? and so forth...

i see 2 possiblities:

1) God (who then created the universe) or just the universe (if you don't want to believe in God) suddenly came into being out of nothing. since there was no intelligene behind God's (or the universe's) creation, then it happened randomly.

to me, that doesn't make much logical sense.

2) the other possibility is that God, or some distinct intelligence, has always existed, without its own creation. this intelligent entity at some point then created the Universe.

this also has some suspension of logic (something without creation). but to me, there is more logic in this, then in assuming that the universe (or God) was created randomly, out of nothing, BY nothing.

Dr. Love
03-05-2004, 08:06 PM
you're still presupposing that things have a beginning (and hence an end), which is thinking linearly.

If you don't think linearly (not everything has a beginning or an end) then it's not much of a question

LooseMenace
03-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Jeez. The first thread I read in a year, and it's all heavy and stuff. I'm quite stoned at the moment, so the timing is perfect!

I recommend "The Footprints of God," by Greg Iles. It's strictly popular fiction, along Tom Clancy/Robin Cook/John Grisham lines, you know... the technical, scientific, or legal stuff is accurate, and then a "what if?" scenario is thrown together.
I guess it's supposed to be a "thriller," but I found myself somehow soothed by the concept at some point, so I recommend it to anyone who wants an alternate explanation for the Big Question. It has to do with Consciousness, defined as the ability to contemplate oneself, and how it may be possible to completely map the human brain for download to a Supercomputer. But... Jesus is featured, complete with his Passion...but it diverges nicely at a crucial point. I'll leave it at that.
I should say here that I'm a firm Believer in absolutely nothing. Stone cold agnostic, that's me. But I try to learn a little about a lot. There are many interesting answers to the chicken/egg thing.
Robert Anton Wilson also has some insights.
Timothy Leary, too.

Quantum Mechanics. Non-local causality - these ideas will get rid of that nasty before/after, either/or, yin/yang affliction you have there...
:D

Seshmeister
03-05-2004, 10:23 PM
As Dr L said the whole key to trying to understand this is to do with not viewing time the way you do on a day to day basis.

Time is not a fixed linear concept.

Example

If you get a radioactive atom and fire it really quickly along a particle accelerator then it's half life slows down. Time actually slows down because the thing is going so quick.

Much cleverer people than me have proved that time is not linear so basically if you go back far enough there was no time so no problem about who was there and who created what.

I haven't the time, brainpower or inclination to go read up on this stuff but even skimming the surface you would be amazed at how much scientific info is around about the size, scope and age of the universe.

What absolutely noone knows is the 'Why' question so most people fall back on the tradition of whatever culture they were brought up in be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim depending on where they were born to avoid sleepless nights...

Cheers!

:gulp:

twonabomber
03-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by alexpgrimes
Atleast he won't be alone...lol

welcome to hell...i'm your host.

ian_doherty
03-05-2004, 10:50 PM
nobody knows..

but there is a dvd: HYPERSPACE with Sam Neil by the BBC (2001) along those lines - www.bbcamerica.com - 180 minutes

Borders sells it too, about $20

i think you should get it!!

knuckleboner
03-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
As Dr L said the whole key to trying to understand this is to do with not viewing time the way you do on a day to day basis.

Time is not a fixed linear concept.

Example

If you get a radioactive atom and fire it really quickly along a particle accelerator then it's half life slows down. Time actually slows down because the thing is going so quick.

Much cleverer people than me have proved that time is not linear so basically if you go back far enough there was no time so no problem about who was there and who created what.

it's not reallly that time slows down for the atom. the atom, itself, still thinks it's leading it's same lifespan. OUR observation, however, is that time has slowed down for the atom. from the atom's point of view, it is the rest of the world that has sped up.

according to judaism (albert einstein ;)), time is not uniform thorughout the universe. it differs whenever there is a difference in either relative velocity or relative gravity.

technically, (according to hte latest scientific understading...) the universe isn't FULLY linear, in that each of its components is operating on slightly different times relative to each other. but it still had a beginning. and will at some point most likely have an end.

i think the TRUE concept of non-linear comes about in the BEFORE the beginning. whatever created the universe was non-linear. but from a macro view, the universe, itself, is linear.