PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Guitar effect processors or Boss single Pedals

pongracj
03-05-2004, 09:45 PM
I am currently running a Digitech Rp 2000 and I am not to happy with it. I am thinking of selling it and buying a Boss single pedal setup, maybe 6 pedals with a case.

Tell me your opinion about this, I am having a tough time deciding.

diamond den™
03-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pongracj
I am currently running a Digitech Rp 2000 and I am not to happy with it. I am thinking of selling it and buying a Boss single pedal setup, maybe 6 pedals with a case.

Tell me your opinion about this, I am having a tough time deciding.

Sell that garbage and buy a TC Electronic G Major.

:)

alexpgrimes
03-07-2004, 10:46 PM
I have a Boss ME-5 and a Morley2 volume/wah wah. Have no complaints at all.

bukowsky
03-08-2004, 04:57 AM
I am still using my old Rocktron Intellifex and am happy with it. I don't know but I can imagine that you'll lose dynamic with all these pedals and kabels ...

Roy Munson
03-09-2004, 03:39 PM
What amp are you using? What type of tone are you going for? Raw, or heavily processed? Generally, those little multi-effects units are nothing but shit...no offense. Boss pedals are great and always have been. You can't go wrong there. It all depends on what you're going for as far as tone. Keep in mind that Boss pedals are not true bypass and you will notice some loss of signal.

BrownSound1
03-10-2004, 11:00 AM
I prefer individual pedals as well. I used to use a lot of BOSS pedals, but now I'm not using any in my rig. Got a vintage MXR flanger, an MXR Phase 90, a Tube Screamer...which is sometimes switched out with a vintage Rat, and a Crybaby. The Crybaby is close to getting the boot, and a Vox wah will be in its place.

The problem with a multi-effects unit is it can't do dead on reproductions of even my simple set up. Usually those things have a couple of decent things on them, but everything else is unusable shit.

bukowsky
03-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
What amp are you using? What type of tone are you going for? Raw, or heavily processed? Generally, those little multi-effects units are nothing but shit...no offense. Boss pedals are great and always have been. You can't go wrong there. It all depends on what you're going for as far as tone. Keep in mind that Boss pedals are not true bypass and you will notice some loss of signal.

I'm using the intellifex togehter with two ADA MP1 (one original and one modified to Marshall sound) and the Marshall 9100 Amplifier and am playing from Blues to HardRock ...

Big Troubles
03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
I have 3 pedals and tons of noise needed to be compressed already. I have an MT Metal Zone, Overdrive Flanger (for that jet sound that Eddie does at the beginning of And the Cradle...) and an MXR Phase 90 shifter, that every Eddie fan should have! Im just in the process of buying a Crybaby and a digital delay. My question is, How many pedals can I run, without all that backfeed noise? Will I have to keep adding Noise compressers? Or does it all depend on the amp?
Hope I didn't leave anything out. Im kinda new to all this.
I'm working on Unchained but Im thinking thats a delay effect, is that right?

BrownSound1
03-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Unchained is a flanger...an MXR M117 to be exact. Theoretically you can run as many effects in series as you want. However, anything that has the word "distortion" or "overdrive" is going to inject noise into your signal. Also, your guitar tone will be changed even with all of your effects off, when you have too many effects in line. What I do is make my amp do most of the overdrive work, and only use an overdrive pedal as a slight boost. For instance, if you listened to my pedal on a clean amp, then the sound would still be fairly clean, but with a slight volume boost.

Now, some amps can be VERY noisy, but I'll guarantee you that 95% of your noise is coming from your pedals. You should only need ONE noise suppressor, and you should place it at the end of your effects chain. Some noise is unavoidable, so don't set the noise gate/suppressor at such a high level that your tone will suck elephant nuts.

bukowsky
03-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Unchained is a flanger...an MXR M117 to be exact.

~~~~~

does it have to be an old one of the seventhies? What about newer 117 models?

BrownSound1
03-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Well, I have a vintage one, but from what I've heard the Dunlop reissue is pretty damn close. There is a difference between the pedals in that the vintage one does not use batteries, nor does it have a wall wart...it's a straight power chord to the wall. The Dunlop has an added LED on it so you know it's operational, and I believe it also can be run on batteries and an AC adapter. As far as the sound goes....I lean towards the vintage one a bit, but the reissue is probably close enough that it wouldn't matter.

bukowsky
03-12-2004, 06:19 PM
would be a bit closer to my wallet either I guess ;)
Thanks alot!

Cathedral
03-17-2004, 03:58 PM
If your on a budget i'd find an old Quadraverb GT and a foot controller on ebay.
Out of all the effects processors i have used it is by far my favorite.

This is only if you are on a budget of course cause there is a drawback to it and it is noise, not much but enough to know it's there. just not so much in a live situation and it has great effects.

$300.00 or less and your ready to go...

The noise gate does supress the noise a bit but i always shut of the volume between tunes anyway just so i can be quiet while the vocalist does his thing, lol. he hates it when i'm clankin and clangin while he talks.

pardo
03-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Personally, live I don't use any effects. I'm more Angus Young and less Steve Stevens I guess. But lately, I've been screwin around with an MXR phase 90 (new one) and a wah - but just on my own.

Anyway, 1 thing that hasn't been mentioned - multi effects pedals are more versatile. You can store recallable patches, meaning you're not stuck with 1 delay sound - you can have many. Something that single pedals cannot do (without messin with the knobs between songs). But like was said above, multi effects units don't tend to sound as good.

But I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to effects. I just like a loud, nice soundin amp, 22 frets, 6 strings and 2 hands.

Cathedral
03-21-2004, 12:27 AM
pardo, we have alot in common. I too think less is more and i am very conservative on the effects i do use. A little chorus and a touch of delay and i'm down the road...........

GAR
04-09-2004, 02:27 PM
I like separate pedals, too. But I've been working this past month on an 8-in-One fuzz pedal that would have all the best ACTUAL circuits in one box..

Vox Tonebender
Sola sound Mk2
Dallas Rangemaster
Herzog Preamp
Coloursound Overdrive
Tychobrahe Octavia
Fuzz Face
Big Muff Fuzz

- but as stupid as this seems, EVEN I ain't dumb enough to go conglomeratin' a distrtion with any other effect.

IMO effects should be discreet, just the same as Crayola colors sit in the box side by side: do you want one group of colors up front first? Or do you want to rearrange them for taste and preference?

I like options and choices so I stick with the modularity of having each effect discreet and separate: this is besides the fact that "all-in-one" wonder boxes never seem to have the ability to go beyond that 100hz range if you check out the graphic performance sheet..

GAR
04-09-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't know if its just due to poor electrical engineering standards, but every tone emulator I've seen doesn't quite get it - the frequency response is lackluster and a noisey circuit in general.