PDA

View Full Version : Name That Bootleg!

Nickdfresh
06-19-2005, 11:12 PM
What's your favorite non-studio released live album or albums, (aside from VAN HALEN)? Why?

Right now, I'm mellowing out to PINK FLOYD: "Great Gig In Boblingen, West Germany 1972"

Very cool, unbelievably great sound for an early-70's audience recording and it totally recaptures the vibe and ambience of the "Dark Side of The Moon" and "Ummagamma" period.

http://pinkroioart.myftp.org/1972-11-15%20-%20The%20Great%20Gig%20In%20Boblingen/boeblingen_front.jpg

Unchainme
06-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Aerosmith Unplugged was pretty good. I like it a lot had to download it. Wish they would've realeased it.

Mr Badguy
06-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Queensryche "Saints and sinners" 24/5/95

It`s from the "Promised land tour" and they perform the whole "Promised land" album, a mini "Operation:mindcrime" and all the big hitters from their other albums.

It`s in perfect stereo, almost as if they recorded it themselves for a live album.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Apart from Diamond VH and Dave solo:

- a seven-track German cassette I bought 15 years ago, by sheer chance, in a shopping mall, which happened to be a boot (my very first one!), LED ZEPPELIN LIVE IN DALLAS, March 4-5, 1975! It was recorded on the radio as the show was broadcast on FM. Sublime. Nothing was cut, even Robert Plant calling out loud Bonzo who was at the bog, or the explanations of the roots of the songs from Physical Graffitti they were about to play. The sound is really great. Real stereo.

side A:
1. "Rock and Roll" (killer);

2. "Over the hills and far away" (excellent);

3. "In my time of dying" (my favorite live song recording by anybody: this one track is the ultimate masterpiece IMO);

4. "The song remains the same" (shunted before the end: ah, those damn cassettes! Each side is 27', long though);

Side B:
5. "The rain song" (too long I think, but I don't dig that one at all);

6. "Kashmir" (my second fave song recorded live. Soooo powerful!);

7. "Trampled under foot" (no use giving it to your butcher, he won't be able to tenderize it!)

It was my very first bootleg, and I think I was a lucky devil back then. :cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:18 AM
The Rolling Stones' "Brussels Affair" is a priceless gem, as a train loaded with French fans started from Paris to get them to a special concert for froggie fans. Keith Richards was then subjected to a prohibition on residence in France because he had been caught with in possession of drugs a few months before.
Mick Jagger - a great, great dude - spoke French as much as he could in between songs, and he could!
The sound quality is exceptional, everybody in the band is in top shape, particularly Mick Taylor.

The title is "Brussels Affair", recorded at the Forest National, Brussels, October 17, 1973

1. Brown sugar
2. Gimme shelter
3. Happy
4. Tumbling dice
5. Dancing with Mr D.
6. Angie
7. You can't always get what you want
8. Midnight rambler
9. Honky tonk women
10. All down the line
11. Rip this joint
12. Jumpin' Jack flash
13. Street fighting man
14. Star star

It's the only burnt one I've got, but I found a picture of the sleeve in an old mag. It's not really good, so I'll post ones of other Stones boots I got.
"Brussels Affair" is a must! The best one among the 20 or so that I know.:cool:

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:21 AM
So here's another classic, with great, great artwork by Stout. :)

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Sorry, here's the front:

Virgil Caine
06-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Rolling Stones: Live at Leeds (perfect sound)
Led Zeppelin: 4/27/69 The Jimmy Page Experience
Derek and The Dominos: Complete Fillmore 10/23-24/70
Bob Dylan and The Band 2/14/75
Television: Cleveland, OH 1975
Cream: Oakland 10/4/68
Gov't Mule: 12/31/04 NYC

So many others............

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Now, my third best ("Welcome to NY" is my fourth), and then I'll leave you alone.:D
"Get yer Leeds lungs out" (as Jagger invites the audience to) is great too, musically. But the students (as I guess most of them were) were maybe really too stoned, because the ambiance is not like you'd expect it to be in a Rolling Stones concert.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Just the very last, the back and I'm gone. I promise!:D

Virgil Caine
06-20-2005, 10:42 AM
On that night the Stones were playing songs from Sticky Fingers before Sticky Fingers was released. That may explain the lack of enthusiasm.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Virgil Caine
Rolling Stones: Live at Leeds (perfect sound)
Led Zeppelin: 4/27/69 The Jimmy Page Experience
Derek and The Dominos: Complete Fillmore 10/23-24/70
Bob Dylan and The Band 2/14/75
Television: Cleveland, OH 1975
Cream: Oakland 10/4/68
Gov't Mule: 12/31/04 NYC

So many others............

Look at all the great people here!

Television: "The blow up", 1978, but no precise date nor place. Here's the set:
CD 1:
1. The blow up
2. See no evil
3. Prove it
4. Elevation
5. I don't care
6. Venus de Milo
7. Foxhole
8. Ain't that nothin'
9. Knockin' on Heaven's door (crap)
CD 2:
1. Little Johnny Jewel (15')
2. Friction
3. Marquee moon (15')
4. Satisfaction (worth it, 7')

I've got Derek and the Dominos "Live at the Fillmore" too, a 2-CD set, but on... Polydor records.;)

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Virgil Caine
On that night the Stones were playing songs from Sticky Fingers before Sticky Fingers was released. That may explain the lack of enthusiasm.

Yeah, you must be right. And maybe they (the audience, of course) hadn't boozed and smoked enough that night too! :D

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I do think the greatest ever bootleg is the DLR in Japan from 2004, that just sounds so much like an official release, as well as the US FEST (if they touch up certain sections).

But, my dad has a U2 one from the late 1980s, which a friend had recorded at the gig for him, and that too sounds like an official release.

In terms of performance, there is a Motorhead one, quite politely called 'Fuck Off' which was recorded for BBC Radio 1.

I have a David Bowie one which, too was recorded for the BBC.

I also have an Ozzy one from Glasgow (1980, I believe), but its poor quality and I don't think it even works anymore.

Also, a YES one from the Trevor Rabin years called 'Open Your Ears', but Trevor Rabin kinda ruins songs like 'Yours Is No Disgrace' with his guitar style.

bueno bob
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
My favorites...

Avatar - Live 1981 (Pre-Savatage)
Savatage - Live at Harpos, Detroit 1985
Black Sabbath - Live in London 1978
Saint Vitus - Let the End Begin (1995)

There was also an old Yes bootleg, but I forgot the name...1978ish?

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I'll look it up for you.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Was it 'Periphet'?

bueno bob
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Was it 'Periphet'?

Maybe...I heard it years back, it was on a blank cassette and the guy gave me the name of it, but I can't recall it...that could have been it, likely.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Periphet
(1978 live bootleg album)
Siberian khatru/Starship trooper, Heart of the sunrise/Circus of heaven, Don't kill the whal e/The Clap/Madrigal/On the silent Wings of freedom, I've seen all good people/Roundabout. Record ed 1978 Inglewood Forum, Inglewood, California USA.

No place : Excitable Recordworks, n.d. (IMP 2-17)
2 phonodiscs
No titles or names on label.
Publisher named on sleeve is The Impossible Recordworks, Legerdemain, USA.