PDA

View Full Version : Knucklebones!

ALMOSTsaved
06-20-2005, 11:21 AM
When I first bought the "Skyscraper" cassette on the day it was released, "Kucklebones" and "Hina" quickly became my fave songs on the album.

Now, after making a DLR compilation disc, I've renewed by love for these 2 tunes.

Anyone else agree that these are 2 of Dave's strongest efforts as a solo artist?

DavidLeeNatra
06-20-2005, 11:44 AM
agree on knucklebones but never got into hina. skyscraper is my dave album which is not that much in my CD player anyway....

what I miss on skyscraper is the "live" feeling of the songs. especially on knucklebones you can hear dave singing "question" and "answer" oerlaying each other so you know it wasn't done live...and that was disturbing me a lot when I first listened to it...

academic punk
06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
I've always liked Hina - thought it was the best thing on the album both musically and lyrically - and I've always HATED Knucklebones.

I remember the anticiaption I had for what amazing guitar trick would open the album (I mean, after Yankee Rose, who could figure out what INSANE stunt Dave and Steve would pull off on the next albums opening moments???), and instead you get this lame "plink plink plink". It sounds like the sort of opening you would use if you were just rehearsing the song for a demo. The solo is also nothing particularly special, and I HATE Dave's lyrics: "I'm going on tour, come to the show, it's gonna be SO much fun!!!" Please.

It might well be my very most hated Dave tune. In fact, it competes with The Bottom Line and Hot Dog and a Shake for that dubious honor.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
I remember the anticiaption I had for what amazing guitar trick would open the album (I mean, after Yankee Rose, who could figure out what INSANE stunt Dave and Steve would pull off on the next albums opening moments???), and instead you get this lame "plink plink plink".

:D "plink plink plink" :D

It's surely not my fave album by Dave, but "Two fools born a minute" is the one for me.
"Knucklebones" (aka "plink plink plink":D) is disappointing because of the fucking keyboard, as almost through the whole record.
"Hina", with that brilliant intro, gets so disappointing when the chorus comes ("Hiiiiiiiinaaaaaaaaaa!"). Every time it makes me skip just before.

Last_Child
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I like Knucklebones but Two Fools A Minute is fookin Graate!

Bill Lumbergh
06-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Both great tunes, no doubt. Knucklebones always gets the spirits up, and Hina is definitely a slight departure for Dave. Great stuff, off of a VERY underrated album.

Redballjets88
06-20-2005, 05:34 PM
i skip kuncklebones most the time and same with skyscraper...but i listen to every other song and love them

thome
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I love HINA had a woman i felt exactly like that song was mine. I find good in
all daves music thats why im here That tune used to crush me

DavidLeeNatra
06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
my favorite song from this album is and will always be "damn good"

DlocRoth
06-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
my favorite song from this album is and will always be "damn good"

Swish.

Tiger Roth
06-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Knucklebones is a monster track to open the album - I love it.
Hina???...mmm not really a fan of that one.

VonHalen
07-22-2005, 04:54 PM
i like how daves albums are different.

hollywood5150
07-22-2005, 05:02 PM
both good tunes.........

I GET IN TO A PHASE OR TWO WHEN SOMETIMES ALL I DO IS LISTEN TO ONE SONG ALL DAY

I have done that with both.........HINA more often...........

you learn to listen to every aspect of the song.

especially with headphones or when your alone driving in your car on a secluded road watching the sunset....

makes for great nostalgia/memories

VonHalen
08-01-2005, 04:53 PM
i still like hotdog and a shake

Mr. Vengeance
08-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
agree on knucklebones but never got into hina. skyscraper is my dave album which is not that much in my CD player anyway....

what I miss on skyscraper is the "live" feeling of the songs. especially on knucklebones you can hear dave singing "question" and "answer" oerlaying each other so you know it wasn't done live...and that was disturbing me a lot when I first listened to it...

I have that same feeling when I hear Knucklebones. I keep wondering how many takes they edited together to make the song. The same thing during the Skyscraper Tour. They had Dave "tracked" so he was part of his background vocals. The problem was (at least the night I saw him- Ottawa) that Dave's backup vocals were mixed too high and you could hear him clearly. It bothered me because it just wasn't live if he had pre-recorded background vocals. I know it's quite common sometimes, but if you don't notice, there's no problem.

Hina is one of my fave DLR tunes.

knuckleboner
08-20-2005, 05:28 PM
probably no surprise, but i'm kinda partial to knucklebones.

it's definitely a high energy, drive the car really fast type song.

audiospectrum
08-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Oh man, why the Skyscraper bashing. Dave's best album, try and dig HIS mood, not your own selfish feelings. Become attached and hear Dave's voice channel you through to a better way of being. This is one of his finest pieces. Yes it's not live, but it's different, like he always said. He wanted to try something new, but that same old attitude is there. And that's what makes it a great album, not a weak song on there. Rock on Dave.

Dirty Duck
08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm glad to hear that someone out there digs "HINA" as much as myself. Great song..steve's guitar licks are amazing. What an underatted song