PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2005 Thread

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Some good tennis this afternoon. I forget who was playing, but I caught a game before, this chinese guy was getting the shit kicked out of him, but came back strong. He was like this ball of energy. John McEnroe was commentating and he said "He must be knackered", and, I don't know how he heard it, maybe someone was listening to his commentry on a portable TV or something, but he got on the floor and did 10 press-ups, stood up and took a bow.

Discuss this year's tournament here...

Jérôme Frenchise
06-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Thank you Shaun for this thread, I've been a huge tennis fan for a long long time.
Federer stands above other players, as Sampras did throughout the previous decade. He can't lose, except if he has a period, but that's men's singles, so forget about it.:D
But I'd really like Safin to win the tournament, he's so impressive when everything's all right in his mind. and so rock 'n' roll in attitude.

I'd love Maria Sharapova to win again this year, but it's going to be tough, as Justine Hénin has come back, Kim Clijsters has too, and beware of the Williams sisters' comeback, the Centre Court is like their garden.

Anyway, I can't forget the golden years: Borg-Gerulaitis 1977, Borg-Connors 1977, Borg-Tanner 1979, Borg-McEnroe 1980 (the ultimate masterpiece) (and 1981), Connors-McEnroe 1982, Cash-Lendl 1987 (Pat Cash was a wizard), Edberg-Becker 1988, Becker-Edberg 1989, Agassi-Ivanisovic 1992, Sampras's SEVEN victories, and the Evert-Navratilova, Goolagong-Evert, Hana Mandlikova's dream game, Graf-anybody...

Today's players's personalities are so dull as compared with the golden champions's... Safe Marat Safin. I hope the dude is going to win this year, as well as gorgeous Maria Sharapova. Maybe this will be the M.S Russian year, who knows?

Shaun Ponsonby
06-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree about the personalities.

I always root for Henman, like most people in the UK do. He'll never win though. Glad to see he won today, although it was very close. He was 2-0 down and managed to come back brilliantly.

BOMBER
06-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Safin has to face Philippoussis in the second round,as weak as Philippousis has been in the head throughout his career,on grass he is very dangerous.Safin also has had a dodgy knee leading into Wimbledon,there is a chance of an upset here.
Henin-Hardenne lost in the first round,unbelievable.
As for Federa being unbeatable,he is still yet to win a major this year.

Seshmeister
06-21-2005, 10:06 PM
I hate the whole cult of Henman thing.

Oh and bring back wooden rackets.

I used to watch it a lot until Sampras and people like him came along and killed it with bland serve game. Last good wimbledon final was Agassi winning beating brawn with skill.

The womens game like all womens sport is an irrelevance. The fact they get paid as much as the men for playing for half as long is ridiculous sexism.

If they want to get extra money for have tits and and a vaj then we should at least get to see them, make them play in the nude or suspenders or something.

Cheers!

:gulp:

Jérôme Frenchise
06-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I agree about the personalities.

I always root for Henman, like most people in the UK do. He'll never win though. Glad to see he won today, although it was very close. He was 2-0 down and managed to come back brilliantly.

I saw the third set yesterday. He was close to defeat; many past winners nearly were beat on the first or second round: he might win this year, who knows? Just when the British may be slightly losing faith.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by BOMBER
Safin has to face Philippoussis in the second round,as weak as Philippousis has been in the head throughout his career,on grass he is very dangerous.Safin also has had a dodgy knee leading into Wimbledon,there is a chance of an upset here.

Mark Philippoussis is the biggest talent waste in the last few years IMO. Here is a player who was able to bring everybody round, but whose career was cut out by injuries (more than his head).

I think Pat Cash (one of my all time favorites) was the last Aussie to win the tournament (no, sorry, I forgot Hewitt, but I don't dig the dude at all). Pat Cash... Most high class game!
Pat Rafter was awesome too, but surprisingly never won Wimbledon, whereas he had the ideal game to... But Sampras was always there back then.
Alicia Molik is a very promising player, a tough competitor and very pleasant too. Her fair play is something that's getting rarer and rarer on the circuit (both for men and women).

I think Philippoussis really is a possible winner. He could do the same as Ivanisevic did in 2001. So many things are possible though, in the beginning of the tournament...

Jérôme Frenchise
06-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Oh and bring back wooden rackets.

:D Wooden rackets... and what about white balls?

If they want to get extra money for have tits and and a vaj then we should at least get to see them, make them play in the nude or suspenders or something.

Cheers!

Make them play in the nude... That's the best idea I've ever heard about tennis!
SESH for President (of the WTA)!!:D

Seshmeister
06-22-2005, 10:35 AM
The website www.wimbledon.org is very good this year.

Jérôme Frenchise
06-22-2005, 10:50 AM
The website www.wimbledon.org is very good this year.

Thanks for the link. Quite a lot of great old matches are proposed.
I think I'm going to spend lots of time there...:)

BOMBER
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
I live in Melbourne which is Philippousse's home town,he is a joke down here.He is always injured and half the time doesn't want to represent his country at Davis Cup.You are right about wasting his talent,he'll never win a major.
Not liking Hewitt is something I find hard to get my head around.
He is half the size of most of the guys on the tour and as such doesn't have as much power to use as a weapon.What he does have is the heart of a lion and a never say die attitude,an attitude which has taken him to grand slam glory.He also has a personality which has been sorely lacking from most guys on the tour for years now.
If only Philippousse's had half that attitude.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-22-2005, 06:57 PM
I could give a shit about the tennis, but I bet Sharapova is a helluva lay with all that grunting....

Or maybe not... ;)

Jérôme Frenchise
06-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I live in Melbourne which is Philippousse's home town,he is a joke down here.He is always injured and half the time doesn't want to represent his country at Davis Cup.You are right about wasting his talent,he'll never win a major.
Not liking Hewitt is something I find hard to get my head around.
He is half the size of most of the guys on the tour and as such doesn't have as much power to use as a weapon.What he does have is the heart of a lion and a never say die attitude,an attitude which has taken him to grand slam glory.He also has a personality which has been sorely lacking from most guys on the tour for years now.
If only Philippousse's had half that attitude.

You must be glad, Hewitt reached the semi-finals to play vs Federer tomorrow.
Again this year, I shouldn't have made any forecasts, as Safin was beat in the third round, and my fave Maria Sharapova today in the semi finals (vs V. Williams, aaarrgh!).
Amélie Mauresmo is led by Davenport 7/6 6/7 3/5. The game will resume tomorrow, just before Hewitt-Federer I guess.
Roddick should get through easily vs T. Johansson, but you can never tell.

Anyway, my fave Grand Slam tournament is Flushing Meadows, as the surface can suit any player (not slow, not too fast, just perfect to make the best eventually come out IMO).

BOMBER
06-30-2005, 06:34 PM
The whole nation will be watching Lleyton tonight our time to see if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat and come up with something that is capable of beating Federa.
Most people are resigned to the fact that Federa will win,however Lleyton has the respect oif everybody even getting this far this year,he has just come back from a long lay off with injury.
One things for certain,Lleyton will fight.
I like all 4 majors,I think it's great that they have different surfaces to each.
Yep,what a pity about Sharapova.
I give Johansson a huge show against Roddick,Roddick was stretched to 5 sets in the quarters.
GO LLEYTON

Jérôme Frenchise
07-01-2005, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I could give a shit about the tennis, but I bet Sharapova is a helluva lay with all that grunting....

Or maybe not... ;)

Ah yeah! What a loss!:( :)

Jérôme Frenchise
07-01-2005, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Or maybe not... ;)

Ah yeah! What a loss...:( :)