PDA

View Full Version : John McCAIN Says Give Detainees Trial

Nickdfresh
06-20-2005, 07:38 PM
McCain disputes Cheney on Iraq
Senator calls on White House to stop predicting successes

Monday, June 20, 2005; Posted: 9:51 a.m. EDT (13:51 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/POLITICS/06/19/mccain/story.mccain.nbc.ap.jpg
Sen. John McCain: "The question is: Do you think you can win and do you want to run?"
WATCH

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain disagreed Sunday with Vice President Dick Cheney's assertion that the insurgency in Iraq is in its "last throes," and called on the Bush administration to stop telling Americans victory is around the corner.

"What I think we should do," McCain told NBC's "Meet the Press," "is wait until we achieve the successes, then celebrate them, rather than predict them. Because too often that prediction is not proven to be true."

In an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live" that aired last week, Cheney said he expected the war would end during Bush's second term, which ends in 2009.

"The level of activity that we see today from a military standpoint, I think, will clearly decline," Cheney said. "I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency." (Full story)

Asked Sunday whether he agreed with the comment, McCain replied, "No, but I do believe that there are some signs which can be viewed as hopeful."

He said the U.S.-led program to train and equip the Iraqi military has improved and that more attacks seem to be coming from foreigners.

He accused Syria of failing to prevent insurgents from crossing its border into Iraq -- an accusation the Damascus government has denied.

McCain, a member of the Armed Services Committee, was asked if that could mean military action against Syria.

"I don't think military action, but I think there are a variety of ways to put pressure on Syria," he said.

"First of all, I'd go to the international organizations and try to get some kind of sanctions and condemnation of it," McCain said.

"Second of all, I think that we should let the Syrians know that if there is continued passage of people, we may have to do what's necessary in order to prevent that." He did not elaborate.

The powerful Arizona Republican, who lost the Republican presidential nomination to George W. Bush in 2000, is widely seen as a potential candidate in 2008.

The lawmaker did not say he had any definite plans to seek the Republican nomination -- saying he wanted "to work hard and be a good senator" -- but he did convey an interest in the position.

"The question is not whether you would like to be president or not. The question is: Do you think you can win and do you want to run? And none of those are clear to me," McCain said.

"I'm going to wait two years before making that decision," he added.
'Draft didn't work'

McCain, who spent more than five years as a prisoner of war after being shot down during the Vietnam War, said the United States is "in trouble" if its military continues to fall far short of recruitment goals. (Full story)

But he predicted that despite recruitment troubles the country would not reinstitute mandatory military service.

"The draft didn't work in the previous form," said the Naval Academy graduate and former Navy carrier pilot.

Instead, he said the United States must work to make service attractive. And he said it missed an opportunity after the 2001 terrorist attacks but that it was not too late to change.

"The biggest mistake I think we made after September 11 was not calling on Americans to serve. We shouldn't have just told them to go shopping or take a trip," he said.

"We should have said, 'OK, we're setting up all the organizations. We're expanding existing organizations. And we're going to give you all a chance to fight as foot soldiers in the war on terror.' I think we can still do that."

Though he supported President Bush's re-election bid, McCain has openly disagreed with the administration on many issues, including Iraq.

"Too often we've been told, and the American people have been told, that we're at a turning point, whether it be the capture of [former Iraqi dictator] Saddam Hussein or [his sons] Uday and Qusay or the elections," said McCain.

"What the American people should have been told and should be told ... [is] it's long; it's hard; it's tough. It's very tough."
Durbin apology sought

[b]The former POW said he is concerned that U.S. treatment of detainees at the prison camp in the naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba -- including reports of controversial measures and allegations of abuse -- could endanger future American prisoners of war (Full story)

If the United States is acting improperly, he said, "We will not have as high a moral ground the next time we are in a conflict and Americans become ... prisoners of war."

But McCain said Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, should apologize for comparing the actions of American interrogators at Guantanamo to Nazis, Soviet gulags and Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot.

"I don't know if censure would be in order, but an apology, because it does a great disservice to the men and women who suffered in the gulags and in Pol Pot's killing fields," McCain said.

Durbin did issue a statement Friday saying, "I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings. Our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support." (Full story)

Nickdfresh
06-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Try Detainees or Free Them, 3 Senators Urge
By NEIL A. LEWIS

Published: December 13, 2003

WASHINGTON, Dec. 12 — After visiting the military's detention center for some 660 prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, three senators, including the onetime prisoner of war John McCain, sent a pointed letter on Friday telling Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld that it was time to release the detainees or bring them to trial.

Mr. McCain, who as a naval aviator spent more than five years held prisoner by North Vietnam, said in an interview that he believed the continued detention of the prisoners violated basic human rights precepts.

"They may not have any rights under the Geneva Conventions as far as I'm concerned," said the senator, an Arizona Republican, "but they have rights under various human rights declarations. And one of them is the right not to be detained indefinitely."

On the tour of Guantánamo, and in the letter to Mr. Rumsfeld, Mr. McCain was joined by Senators Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, another Republican, and Maria Cantwell, Democrat of Washington.

The letter emphasized that the senators believed the prisoners were being treated humanely by the military and not being abused in any way.

"The treatment of the detainees is not an issue," they wrote. "However, a serious concern arises over the disposition of the detainees — a considerable number of whom have been held for two years."

"It is now time to make a decision on how the United States will move forward regarding the detainees," the letter said, "and to take that important next step. A serious process must be established in the very near term either to formally treat and process the detainees as war criminals or to return them to their countries for appropriate judicial action."

Mr. McCain said he believed that an excess of bureaucracy at the Defense Department was producing gridlock that had left the detainees in unfair limbo.

Mr. Rumsfeld has yet to reply to the letter, and a spokesman at the Pentagon said this evening that it had no comment now. But the secretary has said in the past that the detainees will be sorted out as soon as possible. More than 80 have already been released to their home countries.

Some military officials have said that an active collection of intelligence continues at Guantánamo. But Mr. McCain said he believed that most useful operational intelligence information goes stale after about four months, meaning that the detainees can provide little information of value.

The senators' complaints mirror those of many human rights organizations, notably the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Like the senators, the Red Cross has found no cases of abuse in the treatment of the prisoners. But earlier this year it declared that the United States' holding them indefinitely was not acceptable. In October, Christophe Girod, the director of the international committee's Washington office, said that "the open-endedness of the situation and its impact on the mental health of the population has become a major problem."

President Bush has identified six detainees as likely candidates for the first round of military tribunals. But only one of the six, David Hicks, an Australian, has been assigned a lawyer, and there is no indication when any proceedings will begin.

Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/13/politics/13GITM.html?ex=1119412800&en=9d191c09b8da47e9&ei=5070&ex=1071896400&en=bcf0771077c51064&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE&oref=login)

Nickdfresh
06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
McCain Weighs in on Guantanamo Debate [Response to Durbin's Treason]
KC Star ^ | 6/19/05 | Carol Rosenberg

Posted on 06/19/2005 7:04:22 PM PDT by Coop

(KRT) - [b]Arguing that "even Adolf Eichmann got a trial,'' Republican Sen. John McCain said Sunday that the Bush administration must establish a system to try and perhaps free suspected terrorists from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - even if they turn around and attack the United States.

[snip]

McCain is emerging as a voice of conscience and nuance (Coop comment: [gag!! wretch!!] on the stay-or-go Guantanamo issue. A veteran Navy pilot who spent more than five years as a prisoner of war at Vietnam's "Hanoi Hilton,'' he has repeatedly avoided the issue of whether U.S. troops mistreat the detainees and focused instead on the policies they carry out.

He agreed with former presidential candidate Ross Perot, also a former POW, that reports of abuses at Guantanamo could become an incentive to treat future captives brutally. "We will not have as high a moral ground the next time we are in a conflict and Americans should become prisoners of war,'' he warned. "And it worries me, it keeps me awake at night. It really does.''

But McCain also urged fellow Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., to read Alexander Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago and "apologize to soldiers who are serving, doing the job they are told to do and in a humanitarian fashion.''

Link (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1426355/posts)

Nickdfresh
06-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Wow, no one has any comments on WHAT ELSE infinitely wise McCAIN said?:)

steve
06-21-2005, 07:43 PM
I pretty much agree with everything he is saying.

If the religious right hadn't rail-roaded him in 2000, he would have been our President on 9/11 and would still be now.

kentuckyklira
06-21-2005, 08:09 PM
"Even NAZIs got a trial"

And just like the Bin Ladens, the Nazis merilư did business with the Bush family empire!

LoungeMachine
06-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Gee,

How funny our resident "right wing neo-con shitbags" have NOTHING to say....

Warham
06-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Gee,

How funny our resident "right wing neo-con shitbags" have NOTHING to say....

Well, the reason I haven't commented is the fact that I'm not here 24/7.

How's it going, LM?

FORD
06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by steve
I pretty much agree with everything he is saying.

If the religious right hadn't rail-roaded him in 2000, he would have been our President on 9/11 and would still be now.

And 9/11 would have been just another Tuesday :(

Guitar Shark
06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Well, the reason I haven't commented is the fact that I'm not here 24/7.

How's it going, LM?

LOL... by responding to LM's statement you necessarily admit to being a right wing neo-con shitbag.

In any case, you still didn't comment on the substance of the story... ;)

Warham
06-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I know LM has referred to me as such in the past here, and he has also said that I am the most biased person posting on said forum.

The substance of McCain's comments? I agree with many of the things he says. I don't think the war will be over by 2009, as Cheney insists, nor do I think the insurgency is in it's death throws, especially with some of our own congressman throwing fuel on the fire. I do think there is hope for the future though, I agree with him there.

As for the detainees getting their trial? In due time.

Nickdfresh
06-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I know LM has referred to me as such in the past here, and he has also said that I am the most biased person posting on said forum.

The substance of McCain's comments? I agree with many of the things he says. I don't think the war will be over by 2009, as Cheney insists, nor do I think the insurgency is in it's death throws, especially with some of our own congressman throwing fuel on the fire. I do think there is hope for the future though, I agree with him there.

As for the detainees getting their trial? In due time.

And I noticed you edit out what you don't agree with.;)