PDA

View Full Version : Ringo will never Tour with Paul

LoungeMachine
06-21-2005, 10:53 PM
I`ll never play with Paul, says Ringo

TUESDAY 21/06/2005 13:42:32

Ringo Starr will never share a stage with fellow former Beatle Paul McCartney, he has declared.

The legendary drummer flatly ruled out the prospect when asked whether the pair would consider joining forces in a nod to the old times.
"I haven`t toured with Paul since `65," he told US show Access Hollywood.
"We`re never going to do it. We are not going to tour together. I go with my band, he goes with his."
The 64-year-old, who played to a sell-out crowd in New York on Sunday, also said he had no intention of retiring.
"The blessing of being a musician is you can go until you drop," he said.
"As long as I can hold those damn sticks, I`ll be fine. I might be playing the blues, but I`ll be fine."

Rikk
06-21-2005, 10:55 PM
It's not like anyone would expect them to call it THE BEATLES...so what's so bad about having a McCartney/Starkey tour? They could play McCartney Beatles songs, Beatles songs Ringo sang, McCartney and Ringo solo stuff...and absolutely NO George or John stuff so that the issue wouldn't be confused.

Why are they so dead-set against it? It wouldn't be THE BEATLES and nobody would expect it to be.

m_dixon1984
06-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Ringo hasn't been interesting news since '65. He'll say anything to get his name in print.
M

BrownSound1
06-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Ringo Starr is the most overrated rock drummer in history. He's damn lucky to have been in the Beatles, because if he hadn't...well no one would give a shit about him.

I wonder what he thought the first time he heard Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, or John Bonham? He must have thought.."oh fuck"

Rikk
06-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Ah, Ringo isn't that bad. He has a distinctive style that fit them very well and he played some really cool stuff.

But comparing him to Moon, Bonham, Baker, Mitchell, Paice...of course he's nothing compared to them...

Samsonite
06-21-2005, 11:53 PM
He's not saying he wouldn't play with him...he just won't tour with him. He played with him at the concert for George.

Rikk
06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
That was a fucking great concert. I have the DVD and it's awesome. It also reminds me of how much is lost because George did two lousy tours in his entire lifetime (without the Beatles)...one in 1974 and then a quick tour of Japan with Clapton in 1991. It would have been great to see George alive and well and playing that same set list with the same bunch.

Bill Lumbergh
06-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, John NEVER toured after he left the Beatles, just did a handful of gigs.

tydhurst
06-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Ringo Starr is the most overrated rock drummer in history. He's damn lucky to have been in the Beatles, because if he hadn't...well no one would give a shit about him.

I wonder what he thought the first time he heard Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, or John Bonham? He must have thought.."oh fuck"

I really doubt that that was his intention, to show them up. He just drummed, never made out like he was the best. He's better than you, so back off the guy, will you?

Rikk
06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Well, John NEVER toured after he left the Beatles, just did a handful of gigs.

I love the video of the NEW YORK gig. I'm still waiting for the special edition DVD of that to come out. Just really funky and raunchy...the performance of COLD TURKEY blows the roof off the Gardens.

RuzDNailz
06-22-2005, 02:03 AM

I was told that he hung out with some of those guys. Especially Keith Moon since both drummers were so drugged out of their skulls, they
could never tell the difference between night and day!

Rikk
06-22-2005, 02:29 AM
And Ringo's son replaced Keith (years after Keith's death) in THE WHO. ZAC may be RINGO's son, but THE WHO is his favorite band. Mind you, ZAC is also nowhere near the drummer KEITH was, though he's very good.

Panamark
06-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Ive heard many interviews with Ringo where he distinctly says that "The Beatles"
were John's band. Anyone consider the fact that
he could be making this decision out of respect to John,
and George ?

As Rikk says, Im sure none of us would confuse it as the Beatles,
but there would still be a large amount of hype involved, even
though it is only Ringo and Paul. Ringo could think this is totally
disrepectful to his dead friends.

BrownSound1
06-22-2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by tydhurst
I really doubt that that was his intention, to show them up. He just drummed, never made out like he was the best. He's better than you, so back off the guy, will you?

First off kid, I didn't say his intention was to show them up....I said he must have thought "oh fuck" when he heard them. Kind of like what Clapton and Townshend thought when they first saw Hendrix.

Second...Ringo is just not the drummer that so many Beatles fans will have you believe. He's mediocre at best (no pun intended). Seriously, if you think he would have been the icon he is now had he not been in the Beatles, then you are sadly mistaken. Hell, Paul McCartney is probably a better drummer...

Third...you don't know that Ringo is better than I am..you've never heard me play. Of course I haven't been lucky enough to have been in the Beatles either. I can actually answer this for you, kid..Ringo can play drums better than I, but I'd smoke his ass at guitar, and I know I can sing better than him. ;) (The other guys must have been high as hell to let Ringo sing a song...geez)

FORD
06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
(The other guys must have been high as hell to let Ringo sing a song...geez)

That's what I always thought. John and Paul took a bunch of acid in 1966 and wrote some crazy song about living in a Yellow Submarine, but neither one wanted to sing it when they actually looked at the lyrics.

JOHN: Paul, you're the one who started this cheesy thing, you sing it!

PAUL: Yeah, well it was you who made the goddamned submarine YELLOW. Christ, if it had been a green sub, or a blue one, I could sing it, but not yellow. George???

GEORGE: Don't look at me, I only sing my own stuff. Besides I can't find any metaphysical Karmic implications in a brightly colored submarine....

JOHN: Oh spare me the bloody Krishna crap! Who's singing the fuckin song?

PAUL: Hey, let's get Ringo to do it. He's so desperate for the spotlight, he would sing a Pat Boone cover!

tydhurst
06-22-2005, 01:38 PM
First off kid, I didn't say his intention was to show them up....I said he must have thought "oh fuck" when he heard them. Kind of like what Clapton and Townshend thought when they first saw Hendrix.

Second...Ringo is just not the drummer that so many Beatles fans will have you believe. He's mediocre at best (no pun intended). Seriously, if you think he would have been the icon he is now had he not been in the Beatles, then you are sadly mistaken. Hell, Paul McCartney is probably a better drummer...

Third...you don't know that Ringo is better than I am..you've never heard me play. Of course I haven't been lucky enough to have been in the Beatles either. I can actually answer this for you, kid..Ringo can play drums better than I, but I'd smoke his ass at guitar, and I know I can sing better than him. ;) (The other guys must have been high as hell to let Ringo sing a song...geez)

I never said better drummer. I meant person!

If you think aobut it, the Beatles were mediocre at best, but they still were the greatest band ever, and they wouldn't have been the same without Ringo, and wouldn't have been nearly as popular with Pete FUCKING Best on the drums!

Figs
06-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see them perform together; but hey, what can you do. I just hope it's out of repect for the Beatles than any animosity.

Keeyth
06-22-2005, 02:28 PM
You know, as a drummer, I can tell you that there is nothing Ringo has played that I can't play, so in terms of difficulty, no he doesn't so anything to make him a "great" drummer.

However, that is not really the point. I have always said that I would rather be known as being part of the greatest band in the world over being known as the greatest drummer in the world anyday.

So, in that sense, yes Ringo is a great drummer, as he was able to contribute to being the best band in the world, at least at the time.

Neil Peart is a great drummer, and I like some of thier old stuff, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say Rush is the greatest band in the world.

FORD
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Keeyth

Neil Peart is a great drummer, and I like some of thier old stuff, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say Rush is the greatest band in the world.

Greatest band in Canada, easily. And Peart & Geddy Lee might very well be the best rhythm section in the world.

Entwistle and Moon would be reasonable competition, but they're no longer with us.

BrownSound1
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by tydhurst
I never said better drummer. I meant person!

If you think aobut it, the Beatles were mediocre at best, but they still were the greatest band ever, and they wouldn't have been the same without Ringo, and wouldn't have been nearly as popular with Pete FUCKING Best on the drums!

Are you picking a fight with me you little bastard?

Geezus kid, is Ringo doinking you in the ass or something? Chill the fuck out.

Look I respect the Beatles...I understand what they did for music, and all. However, I refuse to call them the best band ever. They were just the right band for the right time...like most greats are. There were a lot of bands who were loads better than The Beatles...however, they didn't have the one thing the Beatles had in abundance, and that was songwriting.

Keeyth
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Greatest band in Canada, easily. And Peart & Geddy Lee might very well be the best rhythm section in the world.

Entwistle and Moon would be reasonable competition, but they're no longer with us.

I'll go along with that, absolutely. I could listen to Peart jam all day, and Geddy Lee fits in like a glove with his percussive bass stylings. I used to be a Rush freak back in the 2112-Moving Pictures era. I mean, you can't really be a drummer and not be into Rush.

Canada can rock for sure. I liked Triumph quite a bit, too.

However, I stand by my opinion that the greatest at one instrument does not make the greatest band.

Just look at Van Halen. They still have Eddie, who with David Lee Roth was part of the greatest band in the world.
With Sammy? No longer the greatest band in the world, even though they had the best guitarist.

tydhurst
06-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Are you picking a fight with me you little bastard?

Geezus kid, is Ringo doinking you in the ass or something? Chill the fuck out.

Look I respect the Beatles...I understand what they did for music, and all. However, I refuse to call them the best band ever. They were just the right band for the right time...like most greats are. There were a lot of bands who were loads better than The Beatles...however, they didn't have the one thing the Beatles had in abundance, and that was songwriting.

If i were trying to start a fight, i'd do it with someone i'd have a chance of winning against. I just love ringo (not gay) and being a beatles fan i'm constantly reminded by my friends that he was the weakest member musically, and the subject is touchy!

BrownSound1
06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Fair enough....

edvanheineken
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I`ll never play with Paul, says Ringo

TUESDAY 21/06/2005 13:42:32

Ringo Starr will never share a stage with fellow former Beatle Paul McCartney, he has declared.

The legendary drummer flatly ruled out the prospect when asked whether the pair would consider joining forces in a nod to the old times.
"I haven`t toured with Paul since `65," he told US show Access Hollywood.
"We`re never going to do it. We are not going to tour together. I go with my band, he goes with his."
The 64-year-old, who played to a sell-out crowd in New York on Sunday, also said he had no intention of retiring.
"The blessing of being a musician is you can go until you drop," he said.
"As long as I can hold those damn sticks, I`ll be fine. I might be playing the blues, but I`ll be fine."

Ringo is pathetic! He's still out there singing "With a little help from my friends," which was written by Paul. What's he so sour about. As stated, the Beatles would still have been the Beatles without Ringo. However, Ringo without the Beatles would have been plain ole Starkey!

DLR_EngineRoom
06-29-2005, 06:40 PM

haha.....but seriously, all joking aside, Peter Criss was the Ringo Starr of the 70's. Great style, distinctive sound - but nothing special.

Yoko Oh-No screwed the Beatles twice.

Once, in 1970. And again by keeping away a reunion with Julian Lennon filling in for his father. Anyone who's heard of Julian's lyric style, voice and guitar playing would agree that Julian could have/would have been the perfect fit. Oh and yeah, he also looks a LOT like his father. Now that George is gone, fuggedaboutit.

Same thing with Zeppelin. If it wasn't for Robert 'Gimme-all-of-Zeppelins-glory-for-myself' Plant's selfishness, hiring Bonzo's own flesh n' blood Jason would have/ could have been the perfect fit too.
I don't believe any Zeppelin fan in the world would mind Jason filling in for a Zeppelin reunion, except for Mr. Plant himself.

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Just listened to 'Moby Dick' live... ...John Bonham was DA MAN!! :D