PDA

View Full Version : How different will the NHL look once it comes back?

POJO_Risin
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Okay...just a hunch...but a bunch of players won't be back...due to old age...what not...some Europeans...like Jagr are already talking about it...

Is this the NHL's chance to wipe the slate clean?

New rules to make the game more exciting?...

I don't know...maybe when it's all said and done...this IS a good thing for hockey...

ALinChainz
06-22-2005, 03:01 PM
The goalie equipment is going to shrink, I think that is one of the given rule changes, could be wrong on that. I think something to do with the faceoffs to speed the game up also.

The minor leagues are going to become more pivotal because you aren't going to be able to line your team with all high priced stars anymore. Going to have to have some younger, cheaper players.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Well, the interesting part, right off of the bat, is to watch the GM's and agents scrambling once the CBA is signed...

The top FA's are going to have to cut down their contracts...

Some teams have VERY few players signed....

For the rules changes, yeah the goalie equipment will shrink, and I believe the red line will go away for offsides and two-line pass purposes....

Vinnie Velvet
06-22-2005, 03:30 PM
It will be different.

And hopefully the product on the ice is better too.

POJO_Risin
06-22-2005, 03:30 PM
That's assuming that we're as close as they say they are...

Now the NHL is taking heat because hoops figured it all out so quickly...

and they still can't make an announcement...and aren't that close...

but I think there are a few rules right there that will help...

and like Al said...it will look a little more like it did in 1980...

Also with the potential of ties taken out...and shootouts...more exciting finishes...

Vinnie Velvet
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
I agree.

Let's hope we get back to the free-wheeling, offensive style of the 80s!

Matt White
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Hope it's back to the original 6!!!:D

Wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
06-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Hope it's back to the original 6!!!:D

Wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

Hey now, don't get carried away....

POJO_Risin
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
With the Blues moving on to new ownership...it makes you wonder how some of these other clubs are going to make due...

Bob_R
06-22-2005, 08:43 PM
They have to change things to open up the game. But, I'm TOTALLY against a rule which last I heard is being considered:

The goalies can't handle the puck behind the goal line.

Now you all know that the Devils are my team and that Brodeur is the best stick handling goalie in history. But, that is not the reason.

I don't think you can make a rule that hinders a players gift. Then they should make a rule that fast skaters can't skate past other players. Ridiculous right?

Getting rid of the red line. Fine. Shrinking goaltenders equipment. Fine.

justinj
06-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I love hockey, long time season ticket holders for the Flyers, so im really suffering here.

But I'm more old school, I'm not in favor of the shootouts, but hey if it brings more fans I guess we have to do it. I really dont like the no-touch icings either, I like the race to the puck.

And hockey rules-makers are blind to this great rule that should be in effect! If the goalie comes out, make him fair play for a hit! He has the most protection

Let's just get the game back on!

guwapo_rocker
06-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Throw out the fucking rules!!

The best hockey ever was the Flyers vs. Leafs

bloodbaths in the 70's.

ALinChainz
06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Roenick rips NHL union as labor deal appears near

June 27, 2005

PHILADELPHIA, United States (AFP) - Philadelphia Flyers star center Jeremy Roenick ripped the National Hockey League players union at a weekend charity golf event hosted by Pittsburgh Penguins player-owner Mario Lemieux.

A labor stalemate wiped out the entire 2004-2005 NHL season, with a deal that fell through in February looking better than what the union will have to settle for if they want to reach contract terms in time to have a new season.

"The deal in February beats the (tar) out of the deal we're going to sign in July," Roenick said. "Unfortunately we had to go through a whole year to realize all the (stuff) that was going on and not realize we just had to get a game on the ice.

"And we've hurt our league, we've hurt the reputation of our league and we've hurt the integrity of our league by sticking up for something that might not have been the right thing to do."

The NHL Players Association and owners have come closer to agreeing upon a salary cap level that figures to be around 36 million dollars a club, six million dollars less than the limit discussed four months ago.

"If we would have signed that deal in February, in terms of what we're getting now, we would have looked like heroes," Roenick said. "Right now we look like a bunch of idiots."

At a time when owners and players are wondering how to lure back alienated fans, Roenick told those fans who hold the labor fight against players to stay away.

"Don't come. We don't want you in the rink. We don't want you in the stadium. We don't want you to watch hockey. Period," Roenick said.

"If people are going to sit and chastise professional athletes for making a lot of money... being spoiled and being cocky, they need to look at one thing and that's to look at the deal that we are probably going to end up signing in the next three weeks.

"They better understand that pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game... everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game they can all kiss my (rear)."

Vinnie Velvet
06-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm not surprised JR decided to blab his gums again.

ALinChainz
06-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Jagr was saying something along the same lines, only not as harsh about the players turning down a cap in the beginning, and then pretty much settling for the very same thing.

Called it a waste of time. I agree.

Pubic Lice
06-27-2005, 03:21 PM
PPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! !!

UGS
06-27-2005, 03:56 PM
They might as well go for huge rule changes in an effort to minimize the loss of fans. If the game returns as it was, fans won't be there. They need something exciting to make up for all the bullshit that's been the last year.

ALinChainz
06-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Roenick is a good player, when healthy, no question.

But telling the fans to stay away and kiss his ass is about stupid considering where hockey is right now.

Sounds like Ewing when the NBA had their last labor dispute.