PDA

View Full Version : .SHN and Torrent files...

Dave's PA Rental
01-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Have you guys heard of torrenting files? I just got on it about a month ago. Any chance that we could set up some VH-only torrents here? (for non-commercial stuff only, of course)

Lou
01-10-2004, 12:01 AM
YES YES YES YES YES.

I was just going to post about this.

THIS is the way to post bootlegs, gang.

There is the best website ever created by man--www.sharing thegroove.org . People post hundreds of bootlegs a week, all in perfect, LOSSLESS format.

If you want to share your boots and you don't have any space to put it for a direct download, this is the way to go. It's a file-sharing system using their resources where you jump on what is known as a Bit Torrent. You download the music, but are also forced to upload it so that everyone takes and shares. Also, it's really the way to go to distribute a bootleg in a LOSSLESS format, where what you are downloading is a perfect, exact replica of the original silver CD's.

For those who don't know, mp3's, while saving a ton of space, are a LOSSY format, i.e. they cut off frequencies above +/- 17,500 Hz, so you lose information and the sound quality suffers. However, using "shn," "flac," or other lossless formats compresses the files without losing any of that information, so you get the real deal, the full, unadulterated files. And none of those rough transitions from track to track so common with mp3's.

The downside is that they compress down to about 60-70% of the original .wavs. Which is still alot of space. But once you hear the difference (like I did) you'll never go back to mp3. Trust me. And you get a legitimate, very tradeable copy of the boot. Whereas no trader will give you anything for an mp3-sourced boot.

There is a DEARTH of Van Halen over there, almost none. They have tons of Led Zeppelin, which is fantastic, and I download all of them. But it'd really be nice to see some Van Halen over there. So those with legitimate, non-mp3 sourced Van Halen boots, think about "torrenting" a file. We could really spread the VH quickly (and perfectly) this way.

I'm bidding on some original VH bootleg silvers on eBay right now, and whatever I win I will torrent and let you all know about it.

So if you've never heard of it, go to www.sharingthegroove.org right now. You're eyes will pop out at how many bootlegs of different bands are offered. And you'll realize that some VH is desperately needed!!!

Dave's PA Rental
01-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks Lou. I was wondering if anyone else but me had heard of this. Ive gotten Van Halen Rapes Stockholm, Eyes of the Night, Midnight Cash (which is probably the best version of the 12.20.77 show), Goldenwest Ballroom and VH Rocks The Beer Hall, all from the site that Lou mentioned.

Couple things...first, bit torrenting is NOT meant for dial-up modems. DSL or Cable only. The files are too big, and you will slow down the torrent for everyone else.
Next, if you download and then SELL anything, well, that would make you about one step below the scum that they picked from between Saddam's teeth.
Finally, DO NOT convert SHN files into MP3's. Under NO circumstances.

Lou, if you could start some VH torrents over there, you would be my hero!

Lou
01-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Daves PA rental
Thanks Lou. I was wondering if anyone else but me had heard of this. Ive gotten Van Halen Rapes Stockholm, Eyes of the Night, Midnight Cash (which is probably the best version of the 12.20.77 show), Goldenwest Ballroom and VH Rocks The Beer Hall, all from the site that Lou mentioned.

Couple things...first, bit torrenting is NOT meant for dial-up modems. DSL or Cable only. The files are too big, and you will slow down the torrent for everyone else.
Next, if you download and then SELL anything, well, that would make you about one step below the scum that they picked from between Saddam's teeth.
Finally, DO NOT convert SHN files into MP3's. Under NO circumstances.

Lou, if you could start some VH torrents over there, you would be my hero!

I got the same torrents besides you except the last one. And those unfortunately are the only non-mp3 Van Halen bootlegs I own. I'm awaiting a private torrent from someone over there for 6/22/78. I was told the quality wasn't that good, but unless it's horrific I'll torrent it publicly and let everyone know. And of course if I win any of those VH silver bootlegs on eBay I'm gonna torrent those too. I've torrented 3 shows so far over there: Led Zeppelin 5/18/73 & 9/6/71, and most recently The Police 4/7/79. I also just won another Police silver off eBay and when I get that I'm gonna put that up. So again, ANYONE WITH A NON-MP3 VH BOOTLEG PLEASE CONSIDER BIT TORRENT FOR SHARING! WE NEED YOU!

Dave's PA Rental
01-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Ha! I downloaded the 4.7.79 Police show that you torrented! Thanks very much, Lou!

Lou
01-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Yeah I hope you didn't have a problem with it like Mac users did. I just did a re-do of that one last night. Well now I've learned to be more careful with file naming.

Dave's PA Rental
01-10-2004, 12:39 PM
I havent converted it yet and I dont have a WinAmp player, so I dont know if there is a problem yet...

Bob_R
01-10-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't have any non-mp3 VH boots. I guess I would have to DL one first to get started if I chose to participate?

Please explain. :)

Thanks!

Dave's PA Rental
01-10-2004, 03:26 PM
go to sharingthegroove.org and read the "getting started" and "technobabble" threads for answers to FAQ's

Lou
01-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Daves PA rental
I havent converted it yet and I dont have a WinAmp player, so I dont know if there is a problem yet...

OK well if you were able to DL it, then there shouldn't be a problem. The problem was that Mac users (and maybe others) couldn't even download it because of the file naming. All you gotta do is run the md5 I put in there and if it verifies, you should be OK. Otherwise, head over to the re-do in .flac format that I did.

Lou
01-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
I don't have any non-mp3 VH boots. I guess I would have to DL one first to get started if I chose to participate?

Please explain. :)

Thanks!

Yeah if you wanted to share something you would have to get it non-mp3 sourced. I'm gonna try by buying some original silver bootlegs off eBay, and as I said someone offered me a private torrent of a VH show which I'll almost certainly put up unless it just so poor it's not worth having.

There are bands like Led Zeppelin and Dave Matthews over there where there's practically a new show offered every day, and you can build up your collection very fast. But not VH. In the last six months there I've seen 4 VH boots and one Van Hagar boot. For whatever reason they just seem really hard to come by. The only other way I can see starting up a non-mp3 VH collection is "Blanks and Postage" (aka B&P) where you mail blank CD's and a SASE to a kind trader, and they'll burn you a nice clean show for free to help you out. I think I'm gonna ask for that in the B&P section over there.

Basically, when you hear the difference, when you're getting the real, pure, tradeable shows, when you're getting the exact replica of the original bootleg, you'll never go back to mp3. Ever. For example, I'm willing to bet that some (if not virtually all like mine) of your mp3 boots contain rough transitions and hiccups between the tracks, ruining the live feel of the boot. If we can get a VH contingent going on there, say goodbye to that. Say goodbye to that muddy, inferior mp3 sound. It's time that we go lossless and not settle for less than the real thing.

Dave's PA Rental
01-10-2004, 04:08 PM
"It's time that we go lossless and not settle for less than the real thing"

AMEN, brother!