PDA

View Full Version : Stand Up - from Skyscraper

Vinnie Velvet
06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
I love this song.

Such a cool vibe to it, even with that 80s synth sound going for it.

If this song was branded as "Van Halen", it would've been as popular as Jump.

I think that's what Dave was trying to do with Stand Up.

Its a feel good kinda song, much like Jump.

One of my faves.

academic punk
06-24-2005, 09:32 AM
A little too "The Power of Positive Thinking" and hallmarky for my taste.

"The more you do it, the less you fall down, put your head in the clouds, your feet on the ground"?

That shit don't hold a candle to "Heard a vicious rumor from your momma's tongue"

ALMOSTsaved
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
A little too "The Power of Positive Thinking" and hallmarky for my taste.

"The more you do it, the less you fall down, put your head in the clouds, your feet on the ground"?

That shit don't hold a candle to "Heard a vicious rumor from your momma's tongue"

I concur. While I didn't like "Stand Up" when "Skyscraper" was first released, it grew on me after 1,000 listens. That alone should have been a red flag.

However, now when I listen to it the lyrics are just too hokey for Dave's standards. Don't like it a bit anymore. Haven't for about 10 years.

Big Fat Sammy
06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Love this song...EXEPT THE CHORUS!

Vinnie Velvet
06-24-2005, 09:44 AM
I agree.

I can actually say I love this song, well....after 17 years!!

So, yeah, it took quite a few listens.

zeronumber
06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
I love skyscraper, and virtually every song on it, personally, It's my favorite DLR albulm of them all. Some don't like it because they feel its a little too pop, or too much synth, but on the other hand, some of my favorite songs from van halen were they're pop songs, like Dance the night away and Jump.

Besides, the reason it sounded so pop and synth filled was because of the fact that it was written by his keyboard player,...(I think his name was Tuggle...)

Where as, his more hard rocking songs were written with Vai.

Vinnie Velvet
06-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by zeronumber
I love skyscraper, and virtually every song on it, personally, It's my favorite DLR albulm of them all. Some don't like it because they feel its a little too pop, or too much synth, but on the other hand, some of my favorite songs from van halen were they're pop songs, like Dance the night away and Jump.

Besides, the reason it sounded so pop and synth filled was because of the fact that it was written by his keyboard player,...(I think his name was Tuggle...)

Although Brett Tuggle had a hand in the songwriting, Vai's influence was greater.

A lot of the songs sound like stuff Vai was playing in Alcatrazz and some of his solo stuff.

Afterall, Vai is credited as a "Co-Producer" for the album.

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Love this song...EXEPT THE CHORUS!

Agreed! The chorus falls way flat. It's probably one of my least favourite Dave tunes; too Un-Davelike.

Terry
06-25-2005, 11:43 AM
This tune always came across like Dave was consciously trying to put something out that would get radio play. Lyrics are a bit hokey, agreed.

Not one of Roth's essential tunes, IMO.

zeronumber
06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by SoldMySoul4RnR
Agreed! The chorus falls way flat. It's probably one of my least favourite Dave tunes; too Un-Davelike.

Being "Un-davelike" is what made this song kick so much ass.
There is nearly 100 DLR songs that are about parting, rocking hard, etc...

But how often do you come across something that sounds different, so much that you can actually say dave has a well diversed pallete in his music?

This sort of goes along the lines why I love "Me Wise Magic" so much.
Dave could have done anything EEAS or ALAE material, with VH as a backing band, yet again, and I gaureentee you, it would have sucked all the same. Yet, being so different that one would only recognize the song by Dave's vocals, and evh's style of guitar playing, while melody and lyrics being nothing similar to anything CVH or DLr, is what makes that track alone, so Legendary.

A lot of people Chastize skyscraper as being too pop, but at the same time, being pop was something dave did best in cvh, and so rarely, and it was good to hear, at least 1 albulm devoted to it.

Carmine
06-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber

Im with you Zero! I love Skyscraper myself.

It was Brett Tuggle that wrote most of this album with Dave, you were correct.

thome
06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I like Skyscaper. Totally enjoyed the guitar in skycraper.
Stand up is a stand up tune .I put it maybe of my fav recordings
all time. HINA is just so sharp ,fantastic album.

diamondsgirl
06-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Skyscraper is a great album and I love Stand Up.

I love all Daves voices at the end :D