PDA

View Full Version : Styx

bueno bob
06-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Now discuss you mother fuckers! :mad:

ALMOSTsaved
06-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Like the rocking tunes of Tommy Shaw, but was never big on Dennis Deyoung.

I saw them on their ill-fated "Kilroy Was Here" tour back in '83. I couldn't believe they actually acted out scenes before playing music....

The classic moment of their Behind The Music is when Tommy Shaw refers to the acting when they were performing in Texas and he says, "I'm gonna die in Texas tonight."

thome
06-25-2005, 11:49 AM
If you wantsd to get laid 77/78 thats the live show

bueno bob
06-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Kilroy...yeah, that was a big disaster...

I wasn't opposed to Dennis before then, but the whole Kilroy concept was just fucking stupid...it's proof positive that when you let one guy have too much control in a band it becomes his vision...one guy usually can't handle that...

But - Styx without Dennis is just not Styx to me...this half-assed mockery band running around calling themselves Styx is little more than a bad cover act, if you ask me.

ALMOSTsaved
06-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Kilroy...yeah, that was a big disaster...

I wasn't opposed to Dennis before then, but the whole Kilroy concept was just fucking stupid...it's proof positive that when you let one guy have too much control in a band it becomes his vision...one guy usually can't handle that...

But - Styx without Dennis is just not Styx to me...this half-assed mockery band running around calling themselves Styx is little more than a bad cover act, if you ask me.

Even though I don't like Dennis Deyoung, I totally agree with you on EVERY point you made here.

Jack68
06-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Even though I don't like Dennis Deyoung, I totally agree with you on EVERY point you made here.

How or why did deyoung fuck up the reunion?Seemed to me he was doing a powerplay move again and the band was like fuck him..On this desert moon....fag

Bill Lumbergh
06-25-2005, 04:56 PM
The original Bon Jovi. STYX SUXX.

DLR7884
06-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh

LOL.

DLR7884
I'd give you another 5 stars for that if I could!

Matt White
06-25-2005, 05:03 PM

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner!!!

sammysucks65
06-25-2005, 08:12 PM
anyone like dreamweaver?
its a good song ...plus it was in waynes world

bueno bob
06-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Jack68
How or why did deyoung fuck up the reunion?Seemed to me he was doing a powerplay move again and the band was like fuck him..On this desert moon....fag

So far as I understand it, James Young and Tommy Shaw just basically booted him out after they recorded Brave New World and replaced him with some shit-for-brains named Lawrence Gowan. Of course, Chuck Panozzo was so raging with AIDS at that point that he couldn't continue on very much, so they replaced him, and John Panozzo died a few years back, which left the band basically James and Tommy and a bunch of unknowns pretending to be Styx.

And Bill? Kiss my ass, Styx was cool up until 1981 or so! :mad:

superdave
06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Dream Weaver? Styx?

bueno bob
06-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by superdave
Dream Weaver? Styx?

Uh, no.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I always thought The Grand Illusion was a good album....

Terry
06-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Never had any use for Styx. Or the Damn Yankees. Or Tommy Shaw. Thus, really don't give a shit if DeYoung is in there or not. Kinda along the same lines as if Steve Perry is singing for Journey: who gives a flying fuck?

rustoffa
06-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
I always thought The Grand Illusion was a good album....

Me too. That "Miss America" riff is pretty good.

Before they got Deyoung, they were like a progrock outfit.

See, that's what I don't get. KANSAS kicked the whole prog-rock worlds' ass, and then you have Styx progressively de-volving into Mr. Roboto crap.

Dennis Deyoung is a dipshit. He has gone on record as saying he's allergic to sunlight.

Secret-Secret...I've got a secret?

It's no secret, you're a dipshit.

Va Beach VH Fan
06-26-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Me too. That "Miss America" riff is pretty good.

Exactly....

EbDawson
06-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Of course, Chuck Panozzo was so raging with AIDS at that point that he couldn't continue on very much, so they replaced him, and John Panozzo died a few years back

Chuck was the drummer who died. John, the bassist, was replaced, with his blessing I might add. He stills plays with them from time to time, just doesn't do the whole touring thing. He also sided with Young/Shaw against deYoung. I believe deYoung took Young/Shaw to court, didn't want them using then Styx name. I guess he lost.

Styx was one of the biggest bands in Rock back in the early 80's til DeYoung fucked them up with the whole Roboto deal. That was why Shaw originally left the band.

bueno bob
06-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Chuck was the drummer who died. John, the bassist, was replaced, with his blessing I might add. He stills plays with them from time to time, just doesn't do the whole touring thing. He also sided with Young/Shaw against deYoung. I believe deYoung took Young/Shaw to court, didn't want them using then Styx name. I guess he lost.

Styx was one of the biggest bands in Rock back in the early 80's til DeYoung fucked them up with the whole Roboto deal. That was why Shaw originally left the band.

Are you sure it's John that's the bassist? I thought John was the drummer and Chuck was the bassist... :confused: Oh well.

DeYoung IS shit for brains, of that there's not much argument. He's not even really a rock star, per se...more of a Broadway hack, really.

Speaking of the whole Prog-Rock Styx era, those first couple of albums are pretty good back and forth. Granted, there's some real crap in those first four Styx albums, but some definite standout material - "Witch Wolf", "The Grove of Eglantine", "Southern Woman, "What Has Come Between Us", "Lady" (of course) and "You Need Love" come to mind. Plus, they took on "Fanfare for the Common Man" a year or two before ELP recorded it.

ALMOSTsaved
06-26-2005, 12:26 PM
I actually liked "Crystal Ball" which again is a Tommy Shaw song.

If I HAD to pick a Deyoung song that I can tolerate listening to without changing the station, it would be "Light Up." It's not a great song, but it's not overly played either.

bueno bob
06-26-2005, 12:31 PM
"Lorelei" for me. It's got some good riffage to it...Mostly, I like almost everything Styx'ish up to "Paradise Theater", after that it was a steady progression downhill...

ALMOSTsaved
06-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Every time I hear "Lady" I'm left to think of the show, "Freaks & Geeks." I love that fucking show. Nick quotes the lyrics when trying to be romantic with Lindsay.

bueno bob
06-26-2005, 12:36 PM
lol...never seen it, but that would be some funny shit...

"When you're with me, I'm smiling. Touch me! And my troubles all faaaade..." :D

ALMOSTsaved
06-26-2005, 12:42 PM
That is exactly what he quotes! hahahaha. I HIGHLY recommend ordering the DVD.

It was a criminally underrated show that only lasted one season. It takes place in the 80s and is LOADED with early Van Halen throughout. They play songs like, "Jamie's Cryin'..."Little Dreamer"..."Runnin' With The Devil"...etc.

It stars James Franco, Linda Cardellini and Joe Flaherty. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001EQHXO/qid%3D1119804062/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-3549601-1508918

blueturk
06-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Well said, Bill! Although I'd probably hold REO at least partly responsible for Bon Jovi too.

bueno bob
06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Well said, Bill! Although I'd probably hold REO at least partly responsible for Bon Jovi too.

I'd blame the likes of Kiss for the Bon Jovi's of the world before I'd blame Styx, though... :confused:

Maybe it's me. Probably not, because Bill Lumbergh is a Wham-obsessed faggot, but maybe.

Mr Badguy
06-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I actually don`t mind "Mr Roboto".

As a goofy song, it`s peerless.

Domo oregato, Mr Roboto.

blueturk
06-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I'd blame the likes of Kiss for the Bon Jovi's of the world before I'd blame Styx, though... :confused:

What? Kiss isn't exactly my favorite band or anything, but Bon Jovi could never write or perform something like "Strutter" or "Duece". And neither could Styx or REO. Bon Jovi is Corporate Rock, but bands like Styx, REO, Boston, Journey, etc. all started that trend. Bon Jovi just perfected it.

bueno bob
06-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
What? Kiss isn't exactly my favorite band or anything, but Bon Jovi could never write or perform something like "Strutter" or "Duece". And neither could Styx or REO. Bon Jovi is Corporate Rock, but bands like Styx, REO, Boston, Journey, etc. all started that trend. Bon Jovi just perfected it.

Well, you probably have a point, cuz Kiss didn't really sound right to me either...I just kinda lump Bon Jovi in with the rest of the hair bands and hair metal in the 80s, and most of that glam rock shit I attribute to Kiss and Alice Cooper and so forth...to that extent, yeah, you're right. Although admittedly there's not a lot of Styx in Bon Jovi, or vice versa...as an umbrella thing (Styx, Speedwagon, Boston, Journey, et al) leading up to the eventuality of the worlds Bon Jovi's, that I guess I can see.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Don't mind 'Come Sail Away', but thats about it. And, I hate stuff like 'Babe'.

rustoffa
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Speaking of the whole Prog-Rock Styx era, those first couple of albums are pretty good back and forth. Granted, there's some real crap in those first four Styx albums, but some definite standout material - "Witch Wolf", "The Grove of Eglantine", "Southern Woman, "What Has Come Between Us", "Lady" (of course) and "You Need Love" come to mind. Plus, they took on "Fanfare for the Common Man" a year or two before ELP recorded it.

This thing came out a few weeks back....folks are raving about the re-mastering. As soon as I score some fresh PEYOTE, I'll pick it up used and trip the fuck out.
:D

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=517079

bueno bob
06-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Ooh...I oughta get that myself, actually...hmm.

Bill Lumbergh
06-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Ooh...I oughta get that myself, actually...hmm.

"Die motherfucker, die motherfucker KILL !"

EbDawson
06-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Are you sure it's John that's the bassist? I thought John was the drummer and Chuck was the bassist... :confused: Oh well.

I went over to their website, shit, you're right. Could've sworn Chuck was the drummer, the dude with the fro.

Didn't Chuck, (the bass player), only come out of the closet a year or 2 ago? They had only been saying he was sick up until then.

EbDawson
06-27-2005, 03:49 AM
Suite Madame Blue
Blue Collar man
Queen of Spades
Miss America
Crystal Ball
Come Sail Away
Renegade
Lorelei
Lady

They had some good tunes. Always dug the meaty, crunchy guitar tone that JY and Tommy got. Too much cheese from DeYoung though.

bueno bob
06-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by EbDawson
I went over to their website, shit, you're right. Could've sworn Chuck was the drummer, the dude with the fro.

Didn't Chuck, (the bass player), only come out of the closet a year or 2 ago? They had only been saying he was sick up until then.

I remember reading about it back in USA Today when I was working an accounting job in Newberg...which would have put that at '99 at the very latest...and he was open and admitted it.

I hate you so much Bill, it makes me so mad :mad:

PHOENIX
06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Theres nothing wrong with Gowan. He had a few hits in the late 80's and early 90's here in Canada. Then disappeared for awhile. He never was able to crack into the American music scene. Hes a good choice for a replacement singer. Check out some of his solo stuff. Might change your mind.

bueno bob
06-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Theres nothing wrong with Gowan. He had a few hits in the late 80's and early 90's here in Canada. Then disappeared for awhile. He never was able to crack into the American music scene. Hes a good choice for a replacement singer. Check out some of his solo stuff. Might change your mind.

I listened to Styxworld Live, their debut album with him covering Dennis' stuff. I will admit, if they HAD to replace Dennis, Lawrence was a good choice...he's a good singer, can play keyboards well enough for the role (JY insists he's better than "That Other Guy", but since I'm not in the band, and haven't listened to anything Styx since 2001, I can't say).

But...replacing Dennis is kinda unforgivable...maybe it WAS time for Dennis to be gone, but Tommy and James should have formed a new band with Gowan, I think...cuz it's not Styx, not really.