PDA

View Full Version : Budgie!!!!

audiospectrum
06-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I just love the band 'Budgie'

Breadfan, Whiskey River, Quacktors & Beurocrats and on and on...
These guys hump my rope.

I'd just like to know what other people think of them, or if anyone has any stories about them. Coming from Australia, stories are hard to come by. All I know is that my Dad thinks they're some kind of a joke (Dad's a knob folks, donn't stress!) and my uncle used to get into them back in the 70's. Thankyou and goodday.

DLR7884
06-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Breadfan rocks.

DLR7884
Good band.

thome
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
I think Bowie re --one of their tunes?
what ive heard nice stuff

Panamark
06-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Metallica obviously liked them..

Ive heard that album you have pictured, its great !
They were very innovative for the time.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
In For The Kill
Napolean Bona
Parents
Breaking All The House Rules

Its all good...

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:19 PM
There was a feature on them around a year ago in Classic Rock Magazine, actually.

Antman
06-28-2005, 02:01 PM
VH used to cover In For The Kill in their club days. It's on a number of boots. Isn't there a Sabbath song by the same title? I though it was from the Dio era. I could be wrong, but I have the tune in my head.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes.

But I don't recall who was on vocals. I think you're right when you say Dio.

Coyote
07-01-2005, 03:36 AM
I got a couple of albums. "Bandolier" has been in my player for some time now...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
A unique band, in that they fired their drummer because he wanted to be successful.

audiospectrum
07-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
A unique band, in that they fired their drummer because he wanted to be successful.

Hmmmm, really. Please explain???
I like hearing what you guys have to say, all the positive quotes are reflections of my own thoughts about them, I think they're the biggest thing sing powdered milk in my opinion.
And looking at the one or two albums they released in the 80's, they sure did chub up a bit!! What ever happened to them??? The 80's may have been unwelcoming I guess. BTW I do hear many VH references in their songs, the tongue in cheek lyrics, even the style of guitar work sounds like a primitive EVH.

katie
07-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi
Budgie were one one the great bands of 70's rock that didn't quite make it.
A fantastic band that i still play over and over today.

They broke up in 1986 and reformed i think in 1999 or 2000 (Please don't hold me to that)

My fave period was 1970 to 76 to me they fucking rocked a BIG one!
76 to 79 i found them a bit to commercial for my taste.
80 to 82 they were grouped in with the NWOBHM in the UK they had a few good tracks but the gems were always their early work.

A good overview of their work would be they 2xCD compilation 'Heavier Than Air' CD1 Just KILLS!

I personally LOVE Budgie and just can find some of their boots etc on my trade list here -

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/musictrading5673/myhomepage/rock.html

Katie
x

audiospectrum
07-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey Katie, no worries, thanks a lot. I'm sick of being bagged for liking them, ignorant fools are some Victorians. Oh man I hate to admit it but at the moment I'm liking them more than classic VH, I just love the way they can totally transform the listener and channel them towards the light of, dare I say God. My life is really falling into place either because I'm trying hard, or something is inspiring me to try hard. 'Make Me Happy' made me cry tears of joy last week. I'm just so in love with where I'm taking myself in life, looking beyond the material greed that surrounds me and consumes my poor family, and I absolutely have Budgie and 'Skyscraper' to thank for that.
Peace and love to you all.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by audiospectrum
Hmmmm, really. Please explain???

The record company wanted them to go commercial, and the drummer (I forget his name) wanted to, but the other 2 didn't, so they sacked him. That's about it. It just sounds funny when you say "he was sacked because he wanted to be successful".