PDA

View Full Version : Don't Go Into The Water!

Nickdfresh
06-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Northwest Florida beaches open after deadly shark attack
14-year-old girl killed east of Destin, Florida

Sunday, June 26, 2005; Posted: 5:22 p.m. EDT (21:22 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/06/26/shark.attack/story.girl.killed.wafb.jpg
Jamie Marie Daigle died Saturday after being attacked by a shark near Destin, Florida.

DESTIN, Florida (CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/26/shark.attack/index.html)) -- The beaches of northwest Florida opened for swimmers Sunday, despite a shark attack that killed a 14-year-old girl.

Jamie Daigle, of Gonzales, Louisiana, and her friend Felicia Venable, also 14, were swimming about 200 yards off shore Saturday morning when they saw a dark shadow in the water, according to a statement issued Sunday by the Walton County Sheriff's Office.

Daigle was severely bitten by the shark, with bites on "the lower portions of her body," the statement said. Police said Venable began heading for shore to get help from relatives when she saw her friend had been bitten and was being pulled under.

Emergency personnel were on the scene -- a campground on the Florida Panhandle east of Destin, -- quickly and attempted to save Daigle, but she died as a result of her wounds, authorities said.

Both girls were using boogie boards, said Lt. Frank Owens of the Walton County Sheriff's Office.

"For a regular swimmer, she was pretty far out," Capt. Danny Glidewell of the sheriff's office said. Usually, only surfers go that far out in the water, he said. Once swimmers pass the first sandbar, or drop-off, "you will experience more sightings of sharks," he said, although the area has never before had a shark attack.

The girl's family was back in Gonzales, about 60 miles west of New Orleans, on Sunday. Their priest, Father Gary Belsome, said he met with her relatives early Sunday. "They're doing well," he said. "They're surrounded by friends and family. People are pulling together," Belsome said.
Center of the 'blood pool'

Tim Dicus was surfing Saturday when he heard a scream from the water.

"I was about 200 yards out, just past the second sand bar," Dicus said. "And when I heard the scream, I turned around and saw one of the girls swimming towards the beach frantically and the other one had disappeared and there was a big dark spot where she used to be in the water."

"She was unconscious when I got to the blood pool," Dicus said.

"So I tried to pull her from the water -- the shark had made an attack when I was trying to get her out of the water. But it gave me enough time to get her on to the board once he had to come back around to make another attack."

Dicus said the shark -- about eight feet long -- continued to try to attack them on his surfboard as he made his way to the safety of shore.

"He was really aggressive," Dicus said. "I've been here a long time and I've never seen a shark get that aggressive."

"She was hurt really bad," Dicus said. "It looked like she was going to at least lose her leg. The damage on her left leg was really extensive, and I didn't know whether she had just gone into shock -- but she'd pretty much stopped bleeding by the time I got her on to the beach -- so I didn't know how we were going to save her."

Dicus said he had warned other swimmers earlier in the day against going out too far, fearing shark attacks.

Although shark sightings are not uncommon along the coast, Owens said, no one had seen a shark in the area Saturday before the attack occurred. The area was under green flags, meaning calm surf, Glidewell said.

Deaths from unprovoked shark attacks are rare, according to statistics compiled by the International Shark Attack File.

Seven people were killed in shark attacks worldwide in 2004, including two in the United States. California and Hawaii each recorded one shark attack death last year.

There were 12 shark attacks on Florida beaches in 2004, down sharply from 30 in 2003. Experts credit the busy hurricane season in 2004 for the lower numbers.

CNN's Drew Griffin contributed to this report.

Matt White
06-27-2005, 02:27 AM
I grew up on a fresh-water lake in Michigan(we don't have any other kind!:D) and have NO desire to swim in the ocean again any time soon!

I don't like the idea of looking like BAIT to some huge fish!

fryingdutchman
06-29-2005, 07:28 AM
16 year old boy just lost a leg a couple of days ago too.

And people still keep diving in...

Warham
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Americans have a short attention span.

scamper
06-29-2005, 08:26 AM
You're way more likely to get hit by a car, don't be afraid to live.

fryingdutchman
06-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by scamper

Not afraid of living...

Afraid of dying...especially dying by bleeding out courtesy of a shark bite.

WACF
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
I think I will stick to big lakes.

Can not imagine losing my daughter...horrible for that family.

Vinnie Velvet
06-29-2005, 10:29 AM
That's devestating.

Where's a Shark killer when ya need one?

Matt White
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by scamper

If you knew how many people I know that have been hit by a car....like...ME!!!:mad:

Katydid
07-01-2005, 12:09 AM
The 14 year old boy who was attacked by the shark. It took his legs off....He goes to my son John's church in Lebanon, TN. He's an altar boy. He was fishing...

ALinChainz
07-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Katydid
The 14 year old boy who was attacked by the shark. It took his legs off....He goes to my son John's church in Lebanon, TN. He's an altar boy. He was fishing...

Yeah, sure.

Good thing it wasn't you, fucking shark would spit you out.

Dinosaur meat.

Redballjets88
07-01-2005, 12:15 AM
ok 3 people out of millions that swim in the ocean everyday in america the odds are better that you live..... as long as you have eyes and are carrying an extra 21st chromosome you should be fine

Matt White
07-01-2005, 02:18 AM
AAhhhhhh....youth!:D

fryingdutchman
07-01-2005, 05:08 AM

An altar boy, huh?

Y'know...methinks I'd rather have my legs bitten off than be forced to give a rim job to some pedophile priest.

Gimme the shark every time....

Katydid
07-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
An altar boy, huh?

Y'know...methinks I'd rather have my legs bitten off than be forced to give a rim job to some pedophile priest.

Gimme the shark every time....

Maybe God will give you your wish...since you are such a sarcastic unfeeling bitch.

Katydid
07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Yeah, sure.

Good thing it wasn't you, fucking shark would spit you out.

Dinosaur meat.

Yeah sure

joke all you want to cause around Michigan it's so frozen and cold you'll never get in the water.

Bussard meat.

twonabomber
07-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Maybe God will give you your wish...since you are such a sarcastic unfeeling bitch.

where was "God" when this poor kid was a shark's lunch? real nice guy, making a kid suffer for nothing.