PDA

View Full Version : Running with the devil or panama

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Two GREAT CVH songs.both are masterpieces but which one's better?

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Shouldn't this be in the main?

Anyways, I can't decide.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Guessing from your sig that you prefer PANAMA-HA-HO-HO-HA-HO-HA

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Anyways, I can't decide.

well if you had to choose,like if you were held at gun point what would you choose???

superdave
06-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Hmmm, my choice would be....."Jump back, what's that sound?....."

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
well if you had to choose,like if you were held at gun point what would you choose???

I dunno, I've never been in suck a situation.

Thats a very unlikely situation to be in.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I dunno, I've never been in suck a situation.

I didn't know you could suck a situation!!

Yea, I meant that.

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I didn't know you could suck a situation!!

Yea, I meant that.

LOL your great a dodging a question shaun,you should be a politition :)

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult.

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult.

lol take it as a compliment and a dig at polititions.i saw and interview were paxmon was talking to michel howard befor that election recently,and all howard did was dodge the questions then got pissed off coz paxmon was asking the same question till he got an answer

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Fuck, don't cross Paxman, he does that to everyone. He'll ask you over and over again until he gets an answer.

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 07:00 PM
im not even into politics but i found that so funny just seeing the expression on howards face.paxmon is relentless

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Having said that-Michael Howard is conservative (aka Tory), so he is scum.

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 07:02 PM
LOL,youl have to fill me in on the whole tory hatred thing sometime so im up to date

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Well, basically, The Tories ruined this country. Maggie Thatcher was Prime Minister throughout the 80s (she started in the late 70s and ended in the early 90s) and she closed the mines, closed the docks, and there was very little work in the UK, so people had it bad. She did all kinds of things which helped the UK in becoming a shitty place to live. So much so that in certain families, saying her name is as bad as saying cunt on kids TV.

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, basically, The Tories ruined this country. Maggie Thatcher was Prime Minister throughout the 80s (she started in the late 70s and ended in the early 90s) and she closed the mines, closed the docks, and there was very little work in the UK, so people had it bad. She did all kinds of things which helped the UK in becoming a shitty place to live. So much so that in certain families, saying her name is as bad as saying cunt on kids TV.

i heard Thatcher was an Old Bitch

lol saying her name is as bad as saying cunt on kids tv lol

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Or breaking into a family home o Christmas day and pissing on the kids.

Dave's Bitch
06-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Or breaking into a family home o Christmas day and pissing on the kids.
:rofl:
LOL howd you think this stuff up

Shaun Ponsonby
06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
The last one came from Peter Kay, but the first one was me.

Its just the kind of thing British kids say.

We've been talking about The Young Ones, well, thats the kind of thing the majority of British kids will come up with if they were given their own TV show.

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-26-2005, 11:38 PM
i heard Thatcher was an Old Bitch

lol saying her name is as bad as saying cunt on kids tv lol

Was talkin' the other day to a guy, he said to me, "I did Maggie Thatcher dog-style on her garage floor the other night, she kept scraping her knees on the floor"

So I said, "Why didn't you just lie her on her back?"

He said, "Couldn't stand the dogs breath"

BOOM BOOM

Panamark
06-27-2005, 04:03 AM
I cant seperate them

Panamark
06-27-2005, 04:04 AM
different moments in time, equally brilliant.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-27-2005, 06:02 AM
Panamark, that is exactly my point, Soldmysoul4rnr, that his fucking hillarious!!!

DABSR
06-27-2005, 06:08 AM
You're kiddin' me ...right ???

Runnin' with the Devil without a doubt ....

and speaking of which how the hell did they fumble the ball recording that for the "Best of Volume 1" ....and don't go blaming my pal Jack (Daniels) :p

Dave's Bitch
06-27-2005, 12:43 PM
a simple google fight will sort this out
lets see then....

Dave's Bitch
06-27-2005, 12:45 PM
well it was no contest what so ever
i expected better from a clash of the titans such as this
Panama beats running with the devil into the ground and takes an easy victory

Panama
Running with the devil

diamondsgirl
06-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Model citizen... zero discipline...

Dave's lyrics kick ass! :)

DABSR
06-28-2005, 06:32 AM
WOW .... well, I have to say I'm kind of surprised. I've been loyal to the guys since 3 or so months after the debut of Van Halen <1> and that may be the reason that I'd personally pick ANYTHING from the first 4 albums over ANYTHING after.

But that's just me :cool:

diamondsgirl
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by DABSR
WOW .... well, I have to say I'm kind of surprised. I've been loyal to the guys since 3 or so months after the debut of Van Halen <1> and that may be the reason that I'd personally pick ANYTHING from the first 4 albums over ANYTHING after.

But that's just me :cool:

the original band had 6 albums...would you exclude the last two completely?

As complete albums, I agree the first four were the best, but there were some gems on the last two. Panama is one for sure.

DLR7884
06-28-2005, 12:51 PM

No, it should NOT be in MAIN.

DLR7884
I'd move this fucker as fast as you could blink.

diamondsgirl
06-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
No, it should NOT be in MAIN.

DLR7884
I'd move this fucker as fast as you could blink.

LMAO...:D

:cool:

Matt White
06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
As GRATE as RWTD is....I'll take PANAMA!!!:rockit:

THE GRATEST SUMMER SONG EVER

"I Reach Down...Between My Legs..........

Ease The Seat Back......

bobgnote
06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Anyway, PANAMA is where they have the legendary PANAMA RED that used to get rolled up and smoked IN COLLEGE, mofos who think you know JACK.

RWD is all about Dodger-ball and crack and steal and Bill and Ted, an adventure back then, but THIS IS RIGHT NOW, ASSHOLES. And RIGHT NOW, the Dodgers are doing good with Kent from CAL, so blow me, but MLB has the big C, that is cancer, and that should make running with the Devil of a disease real interesting like the Van Sloot suspect in the Aruba murder soap.

RWD is a mix with a riff back. You guys probably don't really want that in a set I'd play twice. I drive and don't quit, like where the guitar was getting in tune and RWD with two tempos was what happened FIRST, but not last in line, that day in 1971+, Berkeley, when that riff was first played, followed by a medley in succession.

I said eat ME, but you blew dogs, bit some of them, BARKED AT ME, so whom can I trust? PANAMA is the hit you want in a set that ain't gayashell without getting to play baseball because ED has his ass in the way, enabled by SUCKA, inc. and all the little suckas with shit, spyware, and air for brains.

Matt White
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
JUST SAY NO TO CRACK

CRACK IS WHACK

DavidLeeNatra
06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
As GRATE as RWTD is....I'll take PANAMA!!!:rockit:

THE GRATEST SUMMER SONG EVER

"I Reach Down...Between My Legs..........

I'm with ya...

SoldMySoul4RnR
06-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Ditto

DABSR
06-29-2005, 12:19 PM
No ...I wouldn't discard the last 2 albums ....but i have to say that for a band that had so much original material, Dave's idea of having so many covers (although I'm sure many on this forum will blame someone else for the idea) was weak at best.

"Gems" you say ...of course there were gems, but I would have loved to have heard mroe original stuff than the covers, save for "Big Bad Bill" which I think is a phenominal cover ... I mean, Alex on the brushes ?!?!?!? C'mon !!!

"Hang 'em high", "Drop dead legs" and the under engineered "House of pain" are great examples of Van Halen in my opinion. And don't misunderstand me, the priginal question of favorite tune was the option of 2 songs, I picked my fave but "Panama" kicks ass as well.

But, seeing that I never saw Sammy sing "Runnin' .." live, that only strengthens my love for that song.

SloBurn
06-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Panama is good.....but Runnin' With The Devil is magic!

diamondsgirl
06-29-2005, 07:31 PM
No ...I wouldn't discard the last 2 albums ....but i have to say that for a band that had so much original material, Dave's idea of having so many covers (although I'm sure many on this forum will blame someone else for the idea) was weak at best.

"Gems" you say ...of course there were gems, but I would have loved to have heard mroe original stuff than the covers, save for "Big Bad Bill" which I think is a phenominal cover ... I mean, Alex on the brushes ?!?!?!? C'mon !!!

"Hang 'em high", "Drop dead legs" and the under engineered "House of pain" are great examples of Van Halen in my opinion. And don't misunderstand me, the priginal question of favorite tune was the option of 2 songs, I picked my fave but "Panama" kicks ass as well.

But, seeing that I never saw Sammy sing "Runnin' .." live, that only strengthens my love for that song.

My confusion set in when you said:

"I'd personally pick ANYTHING from the first 4 albums over ANYTHING after."

Seemed that you were dismissing all songs from the last two.

Thanks for the explanation.

You like "The Full Bug" or what?

Big Troubles
06-29-2005, 09:58 PM
RWD beats out Panama easily. Panama is not without its charm though. That ripping intro and stellar solo... But RWD raised the r n r bar high in 78 and I really dont think another classic has taken its place.

DABSR
06-30-2005, 06:41 AM
"the Full Bug" rocks as well D-Girl.

But imagine, instead of hearing "(Oh) Pretty Woman" "Where have all the good times gone" what they COULD have put in there.

And for the record, I LOVE their version of "Happy Trails". Between that and "Big bad Bill (Is ...) it showed the world a couple ofthings.

(1) That they could do ANY type of music (again, Alex on the brushes ...c'mon !!!) with their diversity

(2) Anything they DID play, originals or covers, they played at another level.

Grant
06-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Too tough to decide...but I do think 'Runnin' With The Devil' is possibly Dave's best singing, he's all over that song!

Carmine
06-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Tough call. RWTD set the bar for everything that followed. Panama is a progression,with its killer riff and the video is everything that is Van Halen!!

I guess I'll go with Panama.

diamondsgirl
06-30-2005, 12:15 PM
"the Full Bug" rocks as well D-Girl.

But imagine, instead of hearing "(Oh) Pretty Woman" "Where have all the good times gone" what they COULD have put in there.

And for the record, I LOVE their version of "Happy Trails". Between that and "Big bad Bill (Is ...) it showed the world a couple ofthings.

(1) That they could do ANY type of music (again, Alex on the brushes ...c'mon !!!) with their diversity

(2) Anything they DID play, originals or covers, they played at another level.

Nice posts and I agree for the most part.

First I gotta say, I like covers if they are done well and with respect for the original. I'm a blues fan and most good blues tunes have been around forever and have been done over and over by many artists and I still love hearing them. Good music is good music and should not be left on a shelf. I could listen to a good tune done 18 different ways and be a very happy girl. :)

I dig that they did Pretty Woman because I am a huge Roy the Boy fan and I think they really gave tribute to him by doing that tune.

Where have all the good times gone...I could live without. I like it, but if they had a better original to go in there, that would have been be cool too.

I totally agree with you on BBB and HT. I love when they diversified like that and I think Dave's vocals are very cool in BBB. And I love the humor in HT. Dave doing his Bum Ba Dee Da...awesome!

And I love the way they Van Halenized Dancin in the Street.

The original lineup with Dave was out to entertain us. No matter how they went about it. They entertained.

canadiandlrgirl
06-30-2005, 02:03 PM
they are both great songs, but i'd have to go with PANAMA...it is one of my CVH songs along with DTNA and UNCHAINED :)

ben halen
06-30-2005, 05:39 PM
RWTD. No Contest.

canadiandlrgirl
07-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by bobgnote
Anyway, PANAMA is where they have the legendary PANAMA RED that used to get rolled up and smoked IN COLLEGE, mofos who think you know JACK.

RWD is all about Dodger-ball and crack and steal and Bill and Ted, an adventure back then, but THIS IS RIGHT NOW, ASSHOLES. And RIGHT NOW, the Dodgers are doing good with Kent from CAL, so blow me, but MLB has the big C, that is cancer, and that should make running with the Devil of a disease real interesting like the Van Sloot suspect in the Aruba murder soap.

RWD is a mix with a riff back. You guys probably don't really want that in a set I'd play twice. I drive and don't quit, like where the guitar was getting in tune and RWD with two tempos was what happened FIRST, but not last in line, that day in 1971+, Berkeley, when that riff was first played, followed by a medley in succession.

I said eat ME, but you blew dogs, bit some of them, BARKED AT ME, so whom can I trust? PANAMA is the hit you want in a set that ain't gayashell without getting to play baseball because ED has his ass in the way, enabled by SUCKA, inc. and all the little suckas with shit, spyware, and air for brains.

you wanna repeat that in english pleaz :rolleyes:

Dave's Bitch
07-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by canadiandlrgirl
you wanna repeat that in english pleaz :rolleyes:

LMAO:D

canadiandlrgirl
07-03-2005, 06:54 PM
LMAO:D

SB....i like your sig;)

Dave's Bitch
07-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by canadiandlrgirl
SB....i like your sig;)

ya its cool,the Axl looks a bit shitty though.he has brown hair on it and not red.The slash is fucking awsome though

zero discipline
07-08-2005, 12:51 AM
With outta doubt, with outta doubt. Runnin' with the Devil. Every time I hear Van Halen I, it's hard to imagine being a band and that being the first album you leashed out on the world. I know from a fan's point of view, it was an awesome feeling having never heard anything from VHI before and having RWTD thrust in your ears. I think the first time I heard it was on 8-track, (8-wha?) And now here I am 27 years later, still saying it ROCKS! Don't get me wrong Panama is a great song too, but by the the time 1984 came out, we knew these guys could rock.

DABSR
07-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl

I dig that they did Pretty Woman because I am a huge Roy the Boy fan and I think they really gave tribute to him by doing that tune.

O.K. ..so, you're a big Roy fan ... cool. Forme, I personally would have loved hearing them do "Only the lonely" or my favorite Roy tune "Crying".
But that's me :)

Dave's Bitch
07-08-2005, 08:58 AM
theres one CVH tune im not too fond of.Ice Cream Man,that song is.....weird

CVH Rulz
07-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Ice Cream Man rocks!

Maybe you just don't understand it. ;)

Dave's Bitch
07-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by CVH Rulz
Ice Cream Man rocks!

Maybe you just don't understand it. ;)

i really dont understand it lol

explain it to me

CVH Rulz
07-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I'll just say he ain't talkin' 'bout ice cream!! :D

DavidLeeNatra
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by CVH Rulz
I'll just say he ain't talkin' 'bout ice cream!! :D

he's got two flavors...bubblegum and dick...but he always run out of bubblegum for some strange reason... :D

Dave's Bitch
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
he's got two flavors...bubblegum and dick...but he always run out of bubblegum for some strange reason... :D

ooooo me thinks i understand ;)

Shaun Ponsonby
07-08-2005, 03:56 PM
ya its cool,the Axl looks a bit shitty though.he has brown hair on it and not red.The slash is fucking awsome though

I'm tempteg to say 'Axl is shitty', but I wont.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-08-2005, 03:59 PM
theres one CVH tune im not too fond of.Ice Cream Man,that song is.....weird

Weird? How did you figure that one out? I think its pretty straight forward.

If you think THAT is weird, then you haven't got a chance with prog.

hollywood5150
07-08-2005, 04:01 PM
they are both damn good songs..............just depends on what kinda feel your going for...........

racing down the road...........PANAMA

walking in the the bar with your entourage..........RWTD

Dave's Bitch
07-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
they are both damn good songs..............just depends on what kinda feel your going for...........

racing down the road...........PANAMA

walking in the the bar with your entourage..........RWTD

thats a good point,but if say you had to choose one to hear DLR sing live what would it be?

Dave's Bitch
07-08-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm tempteg to say 'Axl is shitty', but I wont.

:(

hey hey watch it,lets try and keep off the topic of what we all think of Axl Rose k hun :)

ben halen
07-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by zero discipline
With outta doubt, with outta doubt. Runnin' with the Devil. Every time I hear Van Halen I, it's hard to imagine being a band and that being the first album you leashed out on the world. I know from a fan's point of view, it was an awesome feeling having never heard anything from VHI before and having RWTD thrust in your ears. I think the first time I heard it was on 8-track, (8-wha?) And now here I am 27 years later, still saying it ROCKS! Don't get me wrong Panama is a great song too, but by the the time 1984 came out, we knew these guys could rock.
Ha Ha. Me too on the 8-track. One of my buddies older brother had the 8-track, and when we heard it, it blew our minds. Never heard anything like it, and never will.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-10-2005, 03:17 PM
:(

hey hey watch it,lets try and keep off the topic of what we all think of Axl Rose k hun :)

He-he-he-he!

I'm only joking.

VonHalen
07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Runnin With The Devil

OfficerJimmy
07-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I've heard Running with the Devil too much so Panama.

Casemeister
08-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Panama. I've never been that into RWTD. I like it, certainly, but there are other songs on that first album I much prefer. Panama is easily one of my favourite VH songs.

cdwillis
08-15-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm gonna go with Panama. RWTD is classic, but Panama usually fits my mood better.

Dirty Duck
09-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I just cannot lie...I LOVE THEM BOTH! But...Runnin' with the devil reminds me of when the great VH (Classic) was introduced to the world...so I'll Run with the Devil on that one...

Loons The Great
06-06-2006, 02:36 PM
RWTD

binnie
06-06-2006, 02:45 PM
RWTD!

"I live my life like there's no tomorrow"

Padre Atilio
06-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Two different moods... and also the lyricz ... Panama - a party song ... RWTD - cynic lyrics, other temper ... cant decide....

But both are unbelievable rockanthems !!!

PumpedUpMidget
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Have to go with Panama- the guitar work in that song is fucking incredible

trueblue
06-10-2006, 06:41 AM
this is another great song face-off , and as tough as all the other ones posted so far..

i love them both and they are obviously quite different types of songs..but since i never sit on the fence on these match-ups, i'd go the way of Runnin' With The Devil...not only was it my intro to CVH, but i still love it to this day....Panama is a rollicking stomper, and i love it a lot..in fact Panama was one of the few songs that i liked in 1984..but RWTD is more special to me, with the highlight being Dave's vocal delivery and the lyrics..

binnie
06-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Yup!

diamondsgirl
06-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch

If I were held at gun point, I would let the person with the gun choose :D

diamondsgirl
06-11-2006, 01:59 AM
O.K. ..so, you're a big Roy fan ... cool. Forme, I personally would have loved hearing them do "Only the lonely" or my favorite Roy tune "Crying".
But that's me :)

as much as I love Roth, I would NOT want to hear him attempting the high notes in "Crying".

Not at all.

I would dig Only the Lonely

Dum-dum-dum-dum-dee-doo-wah
Oh-yeah yeah yeah :cool: