PDA

View Full Version : A Police Reunion?

PHOENIX
01-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Police guitarist Andy Summers says he can't see a Police reunion ever happening.

"I don't think Sting has any interest" Andy tells Undercover News. "Of course it would be great but no-one is going to ask him and I don't think he has any interest. I think he has gone to another place".

The Police, considered by many to be one of the greatest rock bands of all time, actually played their last show together in Melbourne, Australia. "Yeah it was" Andy says. "It was sort of the official end because we did get back together and do those six dates with the Amnesty tour in '86. I remember that gig very well. It was a poignant moment because we all knew we were breaking up but the audience didn't know".

They also regrouped and played live for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame earlier this year but it was a one-off. "I felt like okay, it was three days, I would indulge in it and enjoy it" he says. "Stuart (Copeland) lives near me in LA. He and I got together and had a great couple of weeks. We ended up playing everything by The Police together because we felt like it. I went over to his house a couple of times and we got it all together. We met Sting in New York and rehearsed for a couple of days and then it was the show. It was a nice feeling all around on the night. We were in the Waldorf Astoria. There were about 3,000 people there. Everybody I had ever known in my life was there. Of course, the American thing, everyone was telling us we were the greatest thing since sliced bread all night long. Of course the icing on the cake was when we got on stage and took it home as the headliners. That was that, then it was back to reality".

Reality for Andy now is his jazz band and a new album 'Earth + Sky'. The album is released independently through The Basement. Summers is in planning stages to bring his band back live to Australia.

Mr Badguy
01-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Isn`t Andy Summers about 60 now?

If it doesn`t happen soon, it`ll never happen.

PHOENIX
01-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Isn`t Andy Summers about 60 now?

If it doesn`t happen soon, it`ll never happen.

It wont happen because Sting is and Egocentrical asshole who thinks his shit smells sweeter than others.

diamond den™
01-02-2004, 07:37 PM
The Police were a superb band.:)

PHOENIX
01-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by diamond den™

The Police are a big influence on me. My guitar style is a mixture of Andy Summers, Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.:D

twonabomber
01-02-2004, 08:19 PM
it'll never happen. i gave up on that a looong time ago. Sting was a big influence-now he's friggin' Elton John. or maybe worse, Rod Stewart.

i've got the Amnesty show on video...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-02-2004, 08:31 PM
LOL, a Police reunion is even more unlikely than a Roth/VH reunion....

Panamark
01-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but at least they get together now and again and perform. Wish we could say the same about original VH.

Sting Solo sux.

POJO_Risin
01-03-2004, 12:06 AM
They only got together because of the hall of fame...

Stuart Copeland did an interview last year and said, "There was a time I wished Sting wasn't making millions of dollars...so until he quits making music that people buy...it will never happen..."

unfortunate...because there isn't a band that sounds like the Police...

Panamark
01-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Bring on the Hall of Fame for Van Halen !

lucky wilbury
01-03-2004, 02:33 AM
stings albums still sell millions? where? mars?

POJO_Risin
01-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Every Sting album...except this current one...

has been certified multi-platinum...

EVERY FUCKING ONE...

POJO_Risin
01-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Now do I like them?

No...but it's a fact..

lucky wilbury
01-03-2004, 03:34 AM
who bought them hagar?

Top Jimmy
01-03-2004, 07:20 AM
who is hagar?

twonabomber
01-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Top Jimmy
who is hagar?

Hagar's a comic character. i think you're looking for...

who is Sammy Hagar?

Sarge's Little Helper
Hagar's a comic character. i think you're looking for...

who is Sammy Hagar?

a bridge drone troll who sounds like a sack of assholes when he speaks!

twonabomber
see?

Susie Q
01-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by diamond den™
Yes they were baby :D

FORD
01-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Police guitarist Andy Summers says he can't see a Police reunion ever happening.

"I don't think Sting has any interest" Andy tells Undercover News. "Of course it would be great but no-one is going to ask him and I don't think he has any interest. I think he has gone to another place".

Yeah... It's called Pussyville:mad2:

dtuna
01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Hah! Perfect!

Gmoney
01-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Sting will never get back together with the Police because he is a fuckin' contrl freak....hey, sounds, a lot like Eddie Van Heineken!!!

PHOENIX
01-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by FORD

I also think its because Sting wants to be a Disney recording artists along with his pals Phil Collins and Elton John.:D

FORD
01-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I also think its because Sting wants to be a Disney recording artists along with his pals Phil Collins and Elton John.:D

Actually, Sting, Eddie, and Phil Collins should form a "superwussgroup" together, since all three of them are former rock musicians who pussied out.

Can't put Elton John into that group, because it's not right to associate him with the word "pussy".

High Life Man
01-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
who bought them hagar?

Every fucking 35 to 65 year-old cunt. Old bitches love The Poison Fang.

One Voice
01-07-2004, 11:06 AM
It wont happen because Sting is and Egocentrical asshole who thinks his shit smells sweeter than others.

That is so true.

BrownSound1
01-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Sting's solo music is the most boring shit I've ever heard. It almost makes me as sad to hear it as Van Hagar does. I mean to go from the music of the Police to some gay tune called Brand New Day...Christ.

Laceration
01-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Agreed. I can't think of anyone else going from an established band and then to a solo artist and the music is COMPLETELY different. Sad really, considering Sting was a really good bass player in his time.

Lou
01-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Man I love The Police. And yeah Andy Summers actually just turned 61 so time is running out there.

I know a lot of people can't stand the Police, hate what they've heard from them. Well first off, "Every Breath You Take" is in no way representative of what the Police were about; it's pretty much a segue into Sting's solo career, which I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE. I agree it's unbelieveable how someone could just shift gears into lame-ass, easy listening music. I'll never get it. Anyway, much like Pink Floyd, the radio plays about the same 5 Police songs, which are not their best material.

I swear for those who hate The Police, if they listen to the songs that are never heard on the radio, they'll realize what a talented group of musicians they were (especially Stewart Copeland, who has got to be the cleanest, most precise drummer ever to live). They evolved really quickly too, starting out with punk-like music, then reggae, and then some jazz on "Ghost in the Machine." And then the "Synchronicity" album was kind of like Van Halen's 1984--still good, but you could tell that the band was dissolving and that Sting was dominating with his adult contemporary crap much like EVH was dominating with his keyboard crap.

So to the staunch Police haters, if you haven't heard any songs besides "Roxanne," "Can't Stand Losing You," "Message In a Bottle," and "Every Breath You Take," it's time to listen to at least the first three albums if not the first four so you can take in the real Police. BTW the live versions of "Bring On The Night" (my favorite Police song) just kick ass.

Lou
01-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Alright I'm gonna continue my string of plugs for Sharing The Groove (http://www.sharingthegroove.org), which I began in the Bootleg forum.

I'm torrenting a Police show, Boston 4/7/79 over there, which is actually a second try at this one. The first one was actually OK except the file naming wasn't compatible with Mac users, so I redid it. The brand new one can be found
here (http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33160):

You can find out Bit Torrent info in this thread (http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10364&perpage=30&pagenumber=1), which has an attached .pdf file which speaks more about hosting a torrent than downloading one, BUT it lists all the software you need to get started. It talks about all the unconventional formats like .flac, which is what this baby is in. Also that whole forum in general will get you up and running.

Check my rant in this thread (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231) in the Bootleg forum to find out why this is so much more superior than mp3's. I hope you fellow Police fans will jump on this and enjoy a perfect copy of this wonderful bootleg.

PHOENIX
01-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Cool Stuff Lou.