PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Praises Terrorist Leader Arafat as 'Role Model'

John Ashcroft
03-08-2004, 01:23 PM
John Kerry called terrorist leader Yasser Arafat a "role model" and a "statesman" in a 1997 book "that Kerry cites as proof of his own foresight about foreign policy," the New York Post's Deborah Orin revealed today.

Kerry's latest flip-flop: He "expressed the opposite view eight days ago, when he told Jewish leaders in New York that he shares President Bush's belief that Arafat must be isolated because he's not a 'partner for peace' - much less a statesman."

In his book "The New War," which like his scandalous 1971 book, "The New Soldier," is out of print, Kerry claimed: "Terrorist organizations with specific political agendas may be encouraged and emboldened by Yasser Arafat's transformation from outlaw to statesman."

He added that terrorists "whose only object is to disrupt society require no such 'role models'" as Arafat.

The Post noted, "Kerry's remarks came as he was dismissing noted historian Paul Johnson as out of date for saying the Palestinian Liberation Organization is 'the quintessential terrorist movement' but has achieved nothing for its people."

What a novel way to secure the Democrats' all-important Jewish bloc of voters and donors. Too bad he didn't learn from Hillary Clinton's disastrous embrace of Mrs. Arafat.

Yet another flip-flop: Kerry told Arab American Institute in July that Israel's security fence was "provocative" and a barrier to peace. But he told Jewish leaders last week that the fence was "necessary to the security of Israel."

And still another waffle to add to Kerry's supersized stack: Jim Zogby, a member of Democratic National Committee who backs Kerry, says Kerry's aides told him the Massachusetts Democrat objected to the location of the fence.

Link: here (http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/3/8/112126.shtml)

knuckleboner
03-08-2004, 01:33 PM
you know, i don't have a problem with this. kerry doesn't say that arafat's entire life is a role model. but in the very quotes of this article, says that arafat's attempt (at least on the surface) to switch from terrorist to statesman was, or should be a role model to other groups, like hamas.

however, that was 7 years ago. perhaps in the 7 years, kerry has come to think that arafat wasn't as truthful or peaceful as he indicated he wanted back in the 90s.

after all, events and time can change opinions. just ask president bush if he's always been for nation-building...

John Ashcroft
03-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Yep, but situations dictated that Dubya have a change of heart. And your children's children will thank him for it. Arafat has always been no more than a filthy terrorist scumbag. Look at all of the money he funneled into private accounts while he was supposedly having this "change of heart".

knuckleboner
03-08-2004, 03:23 PM
i think that's the point.

(giving kerry the benefit of the doubt. i'm not saying he's NOT flip-flopping for certain.)

arafat had always been a terrorist with a specific agenda: getting a palestinian homeland.

when he decided to "officially" renounce terrorism and accept a state of israel, in return for a palestinian homeland, i don't think it was out of the realm of possiblities that one could hope, at that time, that he was sincere.

7-10 years later...it may be a different story. so i don't inherently see anything wrong with kerry's apparent dual positions on the issue.

just as, by the way, i don't see anything inherently wrong with bush's anti/pro nation-building statements. (though it did make for a great comedy central bit:D)

John Ashcroft
03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
arafat had always been a terrorist with a specific agenda: getting a palestinian homeland.

Apparently not. Ask President Clinton on that one.

ELVIS
03-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Or Carter...

BITEYOASS
03-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Well after making careful considerations and weighing in on which candidate to choose. It's Bush all the way! Especially when I read some messages from various websites of officers, petty officers and chiefs who servered with him in Vietnam.

Here is just one of them:

I was in Viet Nam 1968 & 1969 on PBR's. I knew some Swift crews and during my time his stories don't add up. First of all as a boot officer assigned to a ship you have to do at least 18 months or more aboard, Kerry didn't even do a year. Must have been a screw up to get transfered. He even said he went ashore in Viet Nam when his ship went their. Again no personel went ashore off ships except amphibious type. If he served on Swifts he would not have been able to carry out patrols as he discribes. As a Boat Officer his crew opperated the boat and manned the guns. He had a Chief or First Class as a Boat Captain who had experence and schooling to opperate it.Kerry was responsible for the Patrol and its Mission and answered to headquarters. As far as his Silver Star and three Purple Hearts, I doubt very much. I seen a lot of Officers that were stationed in Staff positions in Siagon went home with a few Medals(Good for Promotion)that didn't know which end of the gun the bullet came out of. If you knew the right person that had access to your personel records anything was possible. I saw a lot of action the year I was on PBR's and never received any wounds, but lost some buddy's and a lot did get wounded. My gut feeling is Kerry knew he needed three Purple Hearts to get out of Viet Nam and made it happen and didn't even complete his year tour of duty and got transfered to guess where!!
After he got discharged from active duty was he still in the reserves? I think everyone had to complete 6 years total. If so how could he protest and do all the things he did after discharge?
My friend I am proud of my duty in Viet Nam and I stayed in the Navy for 23 years and retired. John Kerry brought disrespect to his Uniform, his Country and to the Dead and Living Viet Nam Vets. He was a looser then and a bigger looser now. I hope more Vets speak out against him. I hope they bring the truth out about his service in the Navy.

Posted by: G.Smith at March 8, 2004 09:24 PM

http://www.jquinton.com/archives/000250.html

BITEYOASS
03-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Here's a good link

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.org/