PDA

View Full Version : Why Was There No Applause From Troops During Bush's Speech?

blueturk
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4724156

Pennsylvania Avenue
By David Greene
Soldiers Lend Somber Tone to Iraq Speech

“ Polls showed most who saw the speech had a positive reaction. Now the question is whether enough people saw it to make a difference in the overall level of public support for the war. ”

NPR.org, June 29, 2005 · The White House carefully chose its backdrop for President Bush's Tuesday night address on Iraq. It was Fort Bragg, a sprawling Army base in central North Carolina. The president's audience du jour was 700 soldiers.

But to Americans watching Mr. Bush on television, he may as well have been at a convention hall in Washington. Through most of the speech, all viewers saw was the president speaking in front of a stage-style blue backdrop with American flags. The men and women in uniform were not visible except in occasional cutaway shots.

Most striking was the eerie silence in the room. There were no shouts of HOOAH -- the military salute -- and only a single burst of applause during the 28-minute speech (it came after the president said, "We will stay in the fight until the fight is won").

Compare that to his triumphant speech aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003, when he spoke in front of a crowd of sailors and announced that major combat operations in Iraq had ended. "The United States and our allies have prevailed," he declared.

That address was interrupted 22 times by raucous applause from the service men and women on deck with the president. And the military setting was front and center.

Many times since then, the president has appeared at bases around the country with uniformed personnel lined up as a backdrop on stage.

It wasn't clear at Fort Bragg on Tuesday night whether the White House had choreographed the scene for respectful silence and a somber mood -- or, whether the soldiers in attendance were just caught up in the speech and taking their cues from the president's own solemn tone.

Afterwards, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said he had seen just what he expected. "It's not the kind of speech where you're out there in a rally," he explained. "It was a serious address to the nation."

Still, the White House had allotted 40 minutes for the remarks. Without the applause that may have been anticipated, Mr. Bush wrapped up in just 28 minutes.

Whether the mood of the evening was one that the White House planned or one it encountered, it underscored the position in which Mr. Bush finds himself.

He gave the speech he wanted to give to a primetime national audience -- all the broadcast TV networks carried it in full -- but said nothing new, and nothing likely to change the national mood about the war.

In polls, clear majorities of Americans say they think the United States is bogged down in Iraq, and that the president and his team have been disingenuous in their rosy assessments. Even those who support the war are less upbeat about it than in the past.

With the benefit of two years of hindsight, his triumphant speech on the deck of the Abraham Lincoln has become a painful memory. And with the benefit of just a few weeks of hindsight, Vice President Dick Cheney's observation that the insurgency in Iraq is in its "last throes" seems to have backfired.

So Mr. Bush seemed to acknowledge the need for more empathy and sensitivity.

"Like most Americans, I see the images of violence and bloodshed," he said. "Every picture is horrifying, and the suffering is real. Amid all this violence, I know Americans ask the question: Is the sacrifice worth it? It is worth it, and it is vital to the future security of our country."

Democrats picked apart the Fort Bragg speech. They said the president didn't offer anything in the way of a plan or exit strategy. And they complained that he resorted to the dubious link between Iraq and al Qaeda, attempting to drum up support for the Iraq campaign by recalling horrific memories of Sept. 11.

This time, however, it would be hard to criticize the president for being rosy. And indeed, his personal demeanor was not so sanguine as usual.

Before his address, Mr. Bush spent three hours meeting quietly in small rooms with nearly 100 family members of soldiers who trained at Fort Bragg and have since perished in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One widow gave the president a bracelet, with the engraved names of her late husband and another soldier who died on the same day in Iraq. She asked the president to wear the bracelet during his address, and he did.

On the flight home aboard Air Force One, McClellan brought the bracelet back to show reporters, as if to demonstrate the personal connection the president had made with grieving families on the base.

It was a sobering end to a day that had begun with great feelings of anticipation and excitement over the Commander-in-Chief's visit to Fort Bragg.

When a plane filled with reporters and White House staff arrived at the base hours earlier in the day, soldiers acted as eager tour guides. A bus carried the visitors from the air strip across the base, with an Army major named Amy Hannah pointing out places of interest.

She informed reporters that some of the military musicians who would warm up the crowd before the president arrived had appeared on Jay Leno's show recently. In a festival-like atmosphere before the presidential address, a military choir sang a hit song by pop country star Toby Keith.

But once the president arrived, walking to the lectern alone and asking his audience to be seated, the room fell silent as a memorial service and remained so for 28 minutes.

Was this the impression the White House bargained for? The day after, it did not seem to matter. Polls showed most who saw the speech had a positive reaction. Now the question is whether enough people saw it to make a difference in the overall level of public support for the war.http://

thome
06-29-2005, 10:50 PM
that is the stangest bit o ritin i ever seen. o its a OP ED.ok

blueturk
06-29-2005, 11:01 PM
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." — George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000

Warham
06-30-2005, 07:56 AM
There was no applause because the audience was all military men.

You are not supposed to interrupt your Commander-in-Chief when he's talking.

Can they scrape the bottom of the barrel any more?

Guitar Shark
06-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't know War, I've seen PLENTY of speeches by presidents to military audiences where there was LOTS of applause. Especially when the president says something that hits the military audience close to home -- like extending benefits, etc.

I think there really is something to this story. I have a couple of family members in the military. Until recently, they were staunchly conservative. They are still conservative, and voted for Bush -- twice -- and now, they can't stand him. It's a remarkable thing, and it's happening all over the country.

I don't think it's permanent (yet), but it could become so if this administration continues down the arrogant path it has pursued from day one.

BigBadBrian
06-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I don't know War, I've seen PLENTY of speeches by presidents to military audiences where there was LOTS of applause. Especially when the president says something that hits the military audience close to home -- like extending benefits, etc.

I think there really is something to this story. I have a couple of family members in the military. Until recently, they were staunchly conservative. They are still conservative, and voted for Bush -- twice -- and now, they can't stand him. It's a remarkable thing, and it's happening all over the country.

I don't think it's permanent (yet), but it could become so if this administration continues down the arrogant path it has pursued from day one.

I agree and I think it has to do with that moron Rumsfeld.

He is simply a number-cruncher when is comes to getting the job done and shows no regard for the human side of the equation.

Bush should have shit-canned him long ago.

Better yet, he never should have hired him.

It's just like the President's speech the other night when he said the theater commanders are free to ask for more troops to get the job done if they feel that's what they need. BULLSHIT. Rumsfeld would fire their ass in a heartbeat if they asked for more troops. Would cost too much money. They're too afraid to ask for another division or two to be sent over there for awhile. :mad:

Warham
06-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Perhaps, but I assumed it was proper protocol not to interrupt.

Could be that I'm mistaken.

FORD
06-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Warham

But then wouldn't the same protocol have applied at the "Mission Accomplished" photo op on the USS Lincoln?

Warham
06-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Was that a formal dress occassion?

;)

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM

Jesus, first Brian....and now you;)

Since when did you neo-con shitbags start becoming so reasonable and open minded:D

I think the more we learn, the more "common ground" we are going to find ourselves on.

This path we've been taken down is against ALL OF OUR interests.

Warham
06-30-2005, 03:30 PM
:D

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
LOL!! 'neo-con shitbags'.. ...and you say it so nicely!:D

Yes, the more they learn about their precious Bush, the more they are going to realize we have been right about him all along, and that is where the common ground increases.

However, they have an awful hard time admitting they were wrong about monkey-boy Bush. Oh well...

ODShowtime
06-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
It's just like the President's speech the other night when he said the theater commanders are free to ask for more troops to get the job done if they feel that's what they need. BULLSHIT. Rumsfeld would fire their ass in a heartbeat if they asked for more troops. Would cost too much money. They're too afraid to ask for another division or two to be sent over there for awhile. :mad:

You are correct, gw's statements were bullshit. But not because rummy WOULD fire generals who asked for more troops, but because he ALREADY DID two years ago.

Mezro
06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
There was no applause because the troops know Bush is full of shit.

Mezro...so does a majority of the world...

ODShowtime
06-30-2005, 04:29 PM
just not a majority of the US

Warham
06-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
There was no applause because the troops know Bush is full of shit.

Mezro...so does a majority of the world...

Since when do you discuss politics? :D

ha ha!

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 04:45 PM
If those troops were inspired by a thing out of BUSH's mouth, they'd of cheered. But they sense a clear, and undeniable lack of leadership that extends not only to the largely civilian leadership in the Pentagon, but to the White House itself.

Warham
06-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I wish I could read minds like you guys.

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 04:52 PM

It wouldn't help you with BUSH's mind unless you like pop-up picture books or cartoons.;)

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 05:04 PM

Yes it is a gift. :D

Hint: to read Bush's mind, you have to hold it upside down!

:killer:

thome
06-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey guys cmon ttttttthiiiiiiinnnnnnnkkkkkkk!
It was the presidents address to the NATION given in front of those
Troops and there commanders not to them .to the TV and the nation
JEEZZ.Not supposed to clap until finished JJEEEZZZ fing High scool!!

Guitar Shark
06-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by thome
Hey guys cmon ttttttthiiiiiiinnnnnnnkkkkkkk!

You are definitely NOT qualified to tell the rest of us to think.

thome
06-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Grasping at I really "THINK" theres something to this BBWWAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! OH SH%T IM GONNA PISS MY SELLLFFFFF.BBWAAHHAAAHHAA

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 06:05 PM
You are definitely NOT qualified to tell the rest of us to think.

I second that. Right on the money GS!:D

Warham
06-30-2005, 06:14 PM
::sigh::

BigBadBrian
06-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Keeyth
LOL!! 'neo-con shitbags'.. ...and you say it so nicely!:D

Not so fast Left-Wing Lunatic Shit-Stain.

They've earned the right to use that term.

You have not.

I'll let you know when you're qualified.

:gulp:

Mezro
06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Since when do you discuss politics? :D

ha ha!

Oh, I have my take on politics but it gets fucking draining trying to express them here.

Mezro...plus, I am automatically pegged as a left wing liberal just because i live in San Francisco...for the record: fuck hippies and fuck people who don't respect the troops...other than that I think the whole Iraq situation is a bag of absolute shit...we should have never invaded...

Guitar Shark
06-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Oh, I have my take on politics but it gets fucking draining trying to express them here.

Mezro...plus, I am automatically pegged as a left wing liberal just because i live in San Francisco...for the record: fuck hippies and fuck people who don't respect the troops...other than that I think the whole Iraq situation is a bag of absolute shit...we should have never invaded...

Fag.

;)

Mezro
06-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
just not a majority of the US

Well, this is a country that is predominantly white trash and you can't ask for a better redneck messiah than George.;)

Mezro...no need for an Oval Office...a double wide wouid have done just fine...

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Not so fast Left-Wing Lunatic Shit-Stain.

They've earned the right to use that term.

You have not.

I'll let you know when you're qualified.

Oh please do Mr Shitbag sir!

And thank you for saying it nicely!:D

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Well, this is a country that is predominantly white trash and you can't ask for a better redneck messiah than George.;)

Mezro...no need for an Oval Office...a double wide wouid have done just fine...

LOL!:D

Mezro
06-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Fag.

;)

Shit...must have forget to tuck the gerbil tail back in.

Mezro...you, you gaf:p...

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 07:30 PM
People are deluded with fear. Their ignorance comes from being fed shit sandwitch press releases, and not fucking reading enough. They used to cry against irrational fear (FDR), now those behind the curtain fear the lack of fear to keep the plebians in line. I wonder if this were nearly July of 06' instead of 05', we'd be having a nice "terra-alert" for the Fourth this weekend? I really believe we would!

ODShowtime
06-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Gw's low approval rating and the country's war weariness makes me edgy. I don't want any more gw&friends' "attitude adjustments."

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Um, I think your Rothism should read:
"It's all over but the shouting... ...I've come to take what's mine.

ODShowtime
06-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Um, I think your Rothism should read:
"It's all over but the shouting... ...I've come to take what's mine.

hmm I'll take a look. I never read the lyrics anywhere. I was just listening to mean streets a couple days after the election and it stood out.

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Gw's low approval rating and the country's war weariness makes me edgy. I don't want any more gw&friends' "attitude adjustments."

You are absolutely right. This crazy f**king redneck has dropped so low in the polls he would just LOOOOVE a chance to smack us again and say "You see? The terrorists must be fought longer!"

And redneck America is too stupid to see that the real terrorist resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

ODShowtime
06-30-2005, 07:47 PM
You are absolutely right. This crazy f**king redneck has dropped so low in the polls he would just LOOOOVE a chance to smack us again and say "You see? The terrorists must be fought longer!"

And redneck America is too stupid to see that the real terrorist resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

I am a sensible person, and I really, really don't trust the sonofabitch. I don't believe a word he says.

Mezro
06-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I wonder if this were nearly July of 06' instead of 05', we'd be having a nice "terra-alert" for the Fourth this weekend?

Don't forget that classic piece of terror inducing propaganda: the Bin Laden message right before the election.

Mezro...Pavlovian to the core...pathetic to the core...

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 07:51 PM
I am a sensible person, and I really, really don't trust the sonofabitch. I don't believe a word he says.

That's what makes you a sensible person.

seenbad
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Per the topic-

Have any of you guys ever been in the military? If there was no applause, it was because it was discussed beforehand not to. As mentioned before, it was not a rally. This is how the military works. Each of the 700 in attendance were briefed on expected conduct prior to the speach.

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Don't forget that classic piece of terror inducing propaganda: the Bin Laden message right before the election.

Ooohh, that one REALLY pissed me off. I was telling everyone I knew, you KNOW this was planned... ...don't even get me started! :D

By the way Mez... ...how are ya? Good to see you again.

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by seenbad
Per the topic-

Have any of you guys ever been in the military? If there was no applause, it was because it was discussed beforehand not to. As mentioned before, it was not a rally. This is how the military works. Each of the 700 in attendance were briefed on expected conduct prior to the speach.

Well, it's either that, or that they didn't like what he had to say... ...or maybe BOTH!

Take your pick.

I've heard the troops applaud before this speech when they were for something the Prez was saying. Just face it, GW is going down.

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 07:56 PM

"Napoleon stopped and snuffed the ground of Snowball's footsteps, which, he said, he could detect by smell...and found traces of SNOWBALL almost everywhere. He would put his snout to the ground, give several deep sniffs, and exclaim in a terrible voice, 'SNOWBALL! He has been here! I can smell him distinctly!' And at the word 'Snowball' all of the dogs let out a blood curdling growls and showed their side teeth."

--George ORWELL ANIMAL FARM
http://siobhan-andi.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/squealer.jpg.w300h383.jpg

seenbad
06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Just face it, GW is going down.

Sure, at the end of his term. So what? :confused:

Mezro
06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Each of the 700 in attendance were briefed on expected conduct prior to the speach.

Each of the 700 in attendance were card carrying Bush supporters who are in awe of the giant spotted urethra and think he can do no wrong.

Mezro...include some of those guys who are stuck in Iraq on a stop-loss and you'll see a realistic reaction to this fucking protein hose...

Mezro
06-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Ooohh, that one REALLY pissed me off. I was telling everyone I knew, you KNOW this was planned... ...don't even get me started! :D

By the way Mez... ...how are ya? Good to see you again.

You know it was planned, I know it was planned but the Wal-Mart crowd ate it the fuck up!

Mezro...good to see you back Keeyth...welcome home freak...:p

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 08:05 PM
You know it was planned, I know it was planned but the Wal-Mart crowd ate it the fuck up!

Mezro...good to see you back Keeyth...welcome home freak...:p

Thanks Mez... ..it's good to be back.

But, tomorrow I'm leaving on a week long trip to a family reunion in South Dakota of all places, so I won't be seeing you again until the 11th of July. Hold down the fort and keep up the fight! :D

See ya all when I get back. Roth on!

blueturk
06-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Per the topic-

As the article states, Bush had allocated 40 minutes for the speech and only used 28 of them. Personally I think the reaction to his speech was not what he expected. I can't imagine Dubya telling anyone that he doesn't want to hear any applause, especially at this point in time.

Keeyth
06-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
As the article states, Bush had allocated 40 minutes for the speech and only used 28 of them. Personally I think the reaction to his speech was not what he expected. I can't imagine Dubya telling anyone that he doesn't want to hear any applause, especially at this point in time.

GOOD point!

BigBadBrian
06-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Per the topic-

Could be they were standing at attention? :)

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Per the topic-

Who wants t2o applaud their own deaths? huh

Unlike WWII these are the most educated, informed troops we've ever fielded since Vietnam.

"Yea, yea, let's die for lies!" That welcome didn't happen.

REMEMBER SADAT

:spank:

Mezro
06-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I love it when Phil just pops the fuck up and adds color commentary.

Mezro...u go Phil...

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 08:18 PM
I love it when Phil just pops the fuck up and adds color commentary.

Mezro...u go Phil...
Then vote f4or me.

I only have 37 votes and you have 82.

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Join the revolution.

Mezro
06-30-2005, 08:19 PM
There you go.

Mezro...vote for fucking Phil people...I mean, why the fuck not?...

blueturk
06-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Much like Bush in 2000, I'm a little short on votes myself!:D

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Well, I only have four-stars due to GUNTBOLD voter fraud! I had dead people from Milwaukee registering just so they could give me a one-star.:D

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
Then vote f4or me.

I only have 37 votes and you have 82.

Here's a fiver for ya,..

even if it is t2oo little, t2oo late;)

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Much like Bush in 2000, I'm a little short on votes myself!:D

I already gave you a fiver long ago, but since I'm a Dem, I'm allowed to vote early, and vote often:cool:

BigBadBrian
06-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I already gave you a fiver long ago, but since I'm a Dem, I'm allowed to vote early, and vote often:cool:

Yeah, even when you're dead.

BigBadBrian
06-30-2005, 09:34 PM
I voted for you a long time ago Philly boy. ;)

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks, dude.

Dat's wot I love aboot yoo.

I voted f4or you, t2oo.:)

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Per the topic-

That's funny. Every reporter there, including NBC's Kelly O'Donnell said there was an administration WARM UP MAN winding them up before the speech.

Then they went dead.

Except f4or o1ne small applause that Kelly and the rest of the journalists reported a Bush administration person STARTED that "small" applause.

Yep, funny.

Get water, get food, get ready.

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey waitdaminute!

Did you give me dat black star?:(

ODShowtime
06-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Mezro...

Seeing it from your line of work, you must have been impressed. Madison Avenue could do no better.

Phil theStalker
06-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Seeing it from your line of work, you must have been impressed. Madison Avenue could do no better.
Yeh, the "Wal-Mart crowd."

LMAO!

I've never heard dat o1ne bef4ore.

Dat's Mezro's a smarty.:)

BigBadBrian
07-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
Hey waitdaminute!

Did you give me dat black star?:(

No, I gave you one of the white ones! :D

Keeyth
07-11-2005, 01:34 PM
People are deluded with fear. Their ignorance comes from being fed shit sandwitch press releases, and not fucking reading enough. They used to cry against irrational fear (FDR), now those behind the curtain fear the lack of fear to keep the plebians in line. I wonder if this were nearly July of 06' instead of 05', we'd be having a nice "terra-alert" for the Fourth this weekend? I really believe we would!

Just got back from my trip across this great country, saw some cool stuff. Just got word the other day about London on the radio, and I'm just wondering... ...how prophetic do YOU feel Nickdfresh?? You called THAT one right on the money. One "terra-alert"... ...coming UP!! :eek:

Nickdfresh
07-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Just got back from my trip across this great country, saw some cool stuff. Just got word the other day about London on the radio, and I'm just wondering... ...how prophetic do YOU feel Nickdfresh?? You called THAT one right on the money. One "terra-alert"... ...coming UP!! :eek:

I sorta' did call that...Sometimes I think I should work for the RAND CORP or the CIA...

Next wave, US; and they will be IRAQ insurgents.

Phil theStalker
07-11-2005, 02:08 PM
I sorta' did call that...Sometimes I think I should work for the RAND CORP or the CIA...

Icraqi insurgents can only be in Icraq.. duh

George Washington wuz an insurgent..

wot's yer point?

thome
07-11-2005, 02:12 PM

youd be fragged on your first day dreamer

Keeyth
07-11-2005, 06:02 PM

I've no doubt the next one will probably be us, but who they blame it on is irrelevant. It will just be to scare people into voting for, or backing, something Bush wants. It's all about the fear. It's how he won the election (well, one of them, maybe) and it's how he gets to keep us in Iraq, fighting his and Cheneys capitalistic profitable war... ...and it's how he will try to get America to vote in his successor... ...and it's all BULLSHIT!:mad:

Nickdfresh
07-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by thome
youd be fragged on your first day dreamer

Hardly fuckbag, still in that literacy program?

its duing wundors!

Keeyth
07-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Hardly fuckbag, still in that literacy program?

its duing wundors!

Nick, you haven't put that guy on ignore yet? He's a waste of pixels! :D

Nickdfresh
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Nick, you haven't put that guy on ignore yet? He's a waste of pixels! :D

His posts are like witnessing a car accident, I'm horrified yet can't quite look away.