PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Browns, Bucs bidding for Garcia

Sarge
03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Reports: Browns, Bucs bidding for Garcia
March 8, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns have reportedly made a contract offer to quarterback Jeff Garcia.

Advertisement

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which cited an unnamed source close to the deal, the contract is for two seasons and $8 million, including a signing bonus between $4 million and $5 million.

However, the Gilroy Dispatch of California reports Garcia's on the verge of signing with the Tampa Bay Bucs.

"He's going to Florida," Garcia's father, Bobby, told the paper. "This is a fresh start. He's going in there with guns drawn, fully loaded. He's going to give it his best shot. He said, 'Dad, I'm totally committed now. This is a new step in my life.' "

But if Garcia accepts the Browns' offer, the team will likely end its relationship with quarterback Tim Couch, who recently refused to take a salary cut. The reported offer to Garcia is more than what the Browns offered to Couch in an attempt to cut salary.

Garcia, who was released by the San Francisco 49ers on March 2 in a salary cap move, is a three-time Pro Bowler. Signed as a free agent in 1999 by San Francisco, the 34-year-old Garcia had thrown for 16,408 yards and 113 touchdowns in five seasons with the team. He also ran for 1,571 yards and 21 scores.

The signing might prove beneficial to Garcia, as there is a good chance he will be named the club's starting quarterback.

The Plain Dealer also reported that Cleveland has enough flexibility to keep Garcia and Couch without going over the salary cap, but would save about $5.8 million if it trades or releases Couch.

Couch has been inconsistent since being drafted by the Brown's in the 1999, but at times has shown promise. Last season saw him buried in Head Coach Butch Davis' doghouse, being thrown in and out of the Brown's starting lineup along with fellow quarterback Kelly Holcomb.

Troy
03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Did I miss something? Is Holcomb gone?

I think Garcia is an upgrade over Couch/Holcomb. I'm not so sure if he's that much better than Brad Johnson. Garcia can scramble but they both have good arms.

ALinChainz
03-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Holcomb is not gone, as of yet. If Garcia comes in, Couch is more than likely gone. If he doesn't, and the Browns re-work Couch's deal, they may try and deal for Detroit back-up Mike McMahon, and then it's Holcomb who is more than likely gone. I know Henson worked out for them, but with all these other QBs as possibilities, they must have taken themselves out of the running for him.

Cap is dictating what the Browns do at QB IMO.

ALinChainz
03-08-2004, 06:02 PM
KFFL Breaking News- 03/08/04

The Gilroy Dispatch reports free agent QB Jeff Garcia (49ers) is headed to Tampa Bay to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His signing is expected to be announced at a press conference later this week and is slated to land a three- or four-year deal worth between $15 million and $20 million according to his father, Bobby Garcia.

“He’s going to Florida,” said Garcia’s father. “This is a fresh start.

He’s going in there with guns drawn, fully loaded. He’s going to give it his best shot. He said, ‘Dad, I’m totally committed now. This is a new step in my life.’ ” The Buccaneers, as of Monday, March 8, would not confirm or deny the deal and a spokesman for the Buccaneers said no press conference has been scheduled.

ALinChainz
03-08-2004, 06:06 PM
It's now up to Couch. If he restructures, I'd say he starts. They did make an offer to Garcia, so that will have to be smoothed over.

Sarge
03-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Holcomb is toast..
Man that dud looked good in the playoffs a year ago..
Must have been luck.

Mama's Fool
03-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Now ESPN is reporting Garcia signed a four year, 26 million dollar deal with the Browns.

Why do GMs screw around with Brad Johnson so much? All the guy does is play solid and wins. I don't get it. Wish he was still in Washington.

ALinChainz
03-09-2004, 11:55 AM
KFFL Breaking News

Changing Direction: Garcia Agrees with Browns - 03/09/04

Updating an ongoing report, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns and free agent QB Jeff Garcia (49ers) have reached agreement on a four-year contract worth $25 million. Earlier reports Monday, March 8, had Garcia preparing to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but sources told ESPN.com that those reports were false.

ALinChainz
03-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Man, gotta quit trying to be so quick to jump the gun. Hate all this bunk rumor crap.

Garcia's dad was obviously in the dark also.