PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Bush wins converts among speech-watchers

Warham
06-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Poll: Bush wins converts among speech-watchers
Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 12:16 PM EST (1716 GMT)

President Bush outlines his domestic and international agendas in the first State of the Union address of his second term.

(CNN) -- President Bush's State of the Union address raised support for his policies on health care and Social Security among people who watched the speech, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll conducted Wednesday night.

The percentage of respondents who said the president's proposals in those areas will help the country rose 15 points from when the same question was asked of the same people in the two days before the speech.

In the post-speech sample, 70 percent of respondents said Bush's policies on health care were positive, while 66 percent approved of the president's plan for Social Security.

Bush showed almost as much improvement on Iraq, with 78 percent of respondents saying U.S. policy there is heading in the right direction, a 12 percentage point increase over pre-speech polling.

Overall, 77 percent of respondents said Bush is taking the country in the right direction after the speech compared to 67 percent beforehand.

The strong positives for the president's policies may in part be a reflection of the poll's sample. Of the 485 people surveyed, 52 percent identified themselves as Republicans, 25 percent as Democrats and 22 percent as independents.

The poll was done by telephone interviews and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Respondents still said Iraq was the most important issue facing the president and the nation in the coming year -- 30 percent, compared with 23 percent for terrorism.

Social Security was the top domestic issue, with 19 percent of respondents saying it should be the government's main focus.

Overall, Bush got very positive or positive reactions to his speech from 86 percent of respondents, his best numbers since the State of the Union address he gave January 29, 2002 -- just four-and-a-half months after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 -- when 94 percent of those polled gave him positive marks.

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Who'd they poll?

KKKarl and Scotty?

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
June 28, 2005
Public Skeptical on Ultimate Success of U.S. Efforts in Iraq
Clear majority says Bush has no clear plan for dealing with Iraq

by David W. Moore

The latest CNN/USA Today/Gallup survey finds Americans about evenly divided on whether the United States can ever establish a stable government in Iraq. Among those who say it can, most expect success within five years. Other poll findings show slight majorities of Americans who want a timetable for removal of troops from Iraq and who think the war was a mistake. A clear majority of people say that President George W. Bush has no clear plan for dealing with the war in Iraq. Just 40% approve of Bush's handling of the situation there. Bush's overall job approval is at 45%, with 53% disapproving -- the worst negative to positive ratio in Bush's presidency.

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Poll: Bush wins converts among speech-watchers
Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 12:16 PM EST (1716 GMT)

President Bush outlines his domestic and international agendas in the first State of the Union address of his second term.

(CNN) -- President Bush's State of the Union address raised support for his policies on health care and Social Security among people who watched the speech, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll conducted Wednesday night.

The percentage of respondents who said the president's proposals in those areas will help the country rose 15 points from when the same question was asked of the same people in the two days before the speech.

In the post-speech sample, 70 percent of respondents said Bush's policies on health care were positive, while 66 percent approved of the president's plan for Social Security.

Bush showed almost as much improvement on Iraq, with 78 percent of respondents saying U.S. policy there is heading in the right direction, a 12 percentage point increase over pre-speech polling.

Overall, 77 percent of respondents said Bush is taking the country in the right direction after the speech compared to 67 percent beforehand.

The strong positives for the president's policies may in part be a reflection of the poll's sample. Of the 485 people surveyed, 52 percent identified themselves as Republicans, 25 percent as Democrats and 22 percent as independents.

The poll was done by telephone interviews and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Respondents still said Iraq was the most important issue facing the president and the nation in the coming year -- 30 percent, compared with 23 percent for terrorism.

Social Security was the top domestic issue, with 19 percent of respondents saying it should be the government's main focus.

Overall, Bush got very positive or positive reactions to his speech from 86 percent of respondents, his best numbers since the State of the Union address he gave January 29, 2002 -- just four-and-a-half months after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 -- when 94 percent of those polled gave him positive marks.

Gee WARHAM, where's the link? You didn't just edit out key parts of the article again, did you?;)

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 10:02 AM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/content/login.aspx?ci=17131

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, I guess you left in the date, so I can't flame you too much. But it's still a bit dishonest I think.

And imagine, I gave you three five-star votes.:confused:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/02/sotu.poll/index.html

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Well, I guess you left in the date, so I can't flame you too much. But it's still a bit dishonest I think.

Gee, D...

Are we insinuating that Hambone might be picking and choosing his posts/threads to show the chimp in the best light, thus somehow bolstering his ever weakening support of the "administration"?

I'm shocked, shocked I am that there's gambling going on in this establishment:cool:

LoungeMachine
06-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

That's possible ever since Diebold took over the voting in here:cool:

Nickdfresh
06-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
That's possible ever since Diebold took over the voting in here:cool:

I had to counter GUNTBOLD.;)

FORD
06-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Since there were plenty of threads on the State of the Union speech AT THE TIME, we don't need another one now.

Although it IS a great illustration of how anyone who thinks that CNN is "liberal" is onlr deluding themselves.

Closing.