PDA

View Full Version : Say it Ain't So Hitman--Hearns comeback fight scheduled for July 30th

POJO_Risin
07-01-2005, 01:16 AM
I just don't get it...

his son is fighting on the card...Ronnie...a 26 year old middleweight...who's 6-0...

Thomas Hearns...fucking 46...coming back...why?

Makes no sense...none at all...

Redballjets88
07-01-2005, 01:18 AM
they should fight eachother....but i doubt that would ever happen a father son fight....i could never try to knock out my dad

Matt White
07-01-2005, 01:23 AM
THE MOTOR CITY COBRA!!!

I can't imagine he needs the money!

Must wanna break that right hand again!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Of course it's about the money....

It's been 16 years since his last meaningful fight, when he lost to Sugar Ray.....

ALinChainz
07-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Hearns absolutely thumped Sugar Ray in the rematch, knocked him down, and they gave Ray a draw.

The crowd booed it, the announcers couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe it.

Hearns coming back is idiotic, no way he wins another title. He would like to fight at super middleweight or light heavyweight.

I hope he rethinks the idea.

POJO_Risin
07-01-2005, 01:41 PM
His last meaningful fight was the Sugar Ray fight?...and Al's right...that was a draw...and I think Hearns really knocked the fuck out of Sugar Ray...

knocked him down a couple of times if I remember right...

hell no...that wasn't his last meaningful fight...

Virgil Hill...who was the up and comer...30-0 as a middle and light heavy...and favored to beat Hearns...and Hearns won that fight...

but to be honest here...I don't think that there had been many "NAME" fighters to fight him in his late years...since he was so closely associated to Hagler, Leonard and Duran...anyone past that equaled shit...

thome
07-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Leonard could'nt loose in Vegas, He was their Boy.
Hearnes won without question.

thome
07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
I gotta see this comeback who is he fighting?

Matt White
07-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Of course it's about the money....

It's been 16 years since his last meaningful fight, when he lost to Sugar Ray.....

Well...there was that re-match where he dropped Ray twice, and got buffaloed by a draw.

The Haglar fight? Only the 2 gratest rounds in history!

He's trying to get his kid a little publicity....nothing more.

He looked pretty happy sitting coourt-side at the Piston playoff games.

thome
07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Sorry i pictured ..HAGLER 1987 ceasars palace MY BAD oops
Hagler got robbed

DlocRoth
07-01-2005, 02:18 PM
No comment...:(

What an idiot.

Ok, there's my comment.

thome
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry again Hagler was my fighter not hearns i just still cant get
over that decision in 87 jeez no quarter in here i reposted witin seconds
Im going to go have a good cry now, BULLY.

DlocRoth
07-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by thome

Dude, I was talking about Hearns...

My fave all time fighter...

Who's he gonna fight? Duran? LOL

Nevermind, Duran is a super heavyweight now...

DrMaddVibe
07-01-2005, 03:30 PM
WTF is he thinking?

Good luck!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Well...there was that re-match where he dropped Ray twice, and got buffaloed by a draw.

The Haglar fight? Only the 2 gratest rounds in history!

He's trying to get his kid a little publicity....nothing more.

He looked pretty happy sitting coourt-side at the Piston playoff games.

Yeah, I misspoke, the rematch was a draw...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by thome

Yeah, that sounds like a Hagler fan's perspective....

Dude, Haglar CLEARLY lost that fight to Leonard...

Yes, Hagler took Leonard lightly, farting around when he was supposed to be pummeling him....

But that was Hagler's fault for not fighting HIS fight...

He lost, fair and square....

BigBadBrian
07-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Geez, who's next, Sweetpea? :rolleyes:

ALinChainz
07-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Hearns prevails in comback bout

He scores ninth-round victory after Long fails to answer bell.

By Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

DETROIT - The crowd waited for the right moment to explode.

It had to be only a matter of time -- hopefully sooner than later -- for Tommy Hearns to take control of his comeback bout late Saturday night.

They hoped that, even at 46, Hearns' illustrious talent would be a true reality -- and not just a distant memory.

Hearns' first fight in five years resulted in a ninth-round technical knockout of John Long, but the former champ was definitely pushed hard.

"It's a start, it's a start," said Hearns, who now has a career record of 60-5-1. "I feel like I fought eight tough rounds. He (Long) was very determined. He wanted to go at it."

Long (19-7-1) wasn't swayed by the screaming fervor of the sparse crowd of 3,000 at Cobo Arena, nor was he intimidated by the taller, better-conditioned Hearns.

He surprised Hearns in the first round, connecting with a few hard body blows and shots to the head.

Hearns looked sluggish and his timing was off, allowing Long to pin him on the ropes.

The Cobo crowd was hushed in antsy quiet, unhappy to see Hearns to getting hit. A few implored Hearns to become more aggressive and get off the ropes.

Hearns' son, middleweight boxer Ronald Hearns, sat in his father's corner and seemed visibly concerned with every punch Long landed.

Ronald was fresh off winning his own fight on the undercard, defeating Donald Adams by knockout in the first round.

"It was a lot harder watching my dad fight than having to do my own," said Ronald (7-0). "It's been a while since I've seen my dad get it. It's not easy seeing that. But he prevailed. He got it done again. I have to give him all the credit."

Ronald gave his dad advice between rounds, and Hearns seemed to be taking his own mental notes.

Hearns got his bearings as the fight wore on. He connected in the fifth with vicious combinations, led by his right. Long staggered, unable to cope with Hearns' power.

The barrage continued, and Hearns opened up a cut under Long's right eye.

Long continued to get in a few shots as the bout went into the seventh and eighth rounds. But it was also becoming clear that Hearns rediscovered his substantial reach advantage over the shorter Long.

Hearns punished Long in the eighth round, sending him back to his corner in rough shape.

Long's corner advised the referee that he'd had enough, and the fight was called.

The crowd, unaware of Long's status, jumped to their feet in shocked excitement when the announcement was made.

Hearns was in good shape when the bout was stopped, as all three judges had him ahead, 79-72, on their cards.

He said this fight was just a warm-up for several more. He would like to challenge for another world title, something that is probably two or three fights down the road.

Hearns has won six world titles in five weight classes in his career.

"I think I am going to take a month off and then get back at it," Hearns said. "We'll see what comes. I think I am going to get better each time I get into the ring. Better and better. This was just the first fight, I got through it and I won. Now we go on."

Ronald Hearns wasn't as bullish as his dad on having future fights.

"I don't know. It's going to be up to him and the public," Ronald said. "They're going to be the final voice. But it's hard to see your dad get in the ring and get it. I kind of had forgotten about what that feels like as his son.

"My dad is a very determined guy. He's going to do what he wants. I guess we just have to be here to support him."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/moresports/0507/31/sport-265133.htm

POJO_Risin
07-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Well...why the fuck not...

ALinChainz
07-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Been the biggest Hearns fan since the beginning, but the dude should hang it up.

POJO_Risin
07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Shit...if it gets his kid a bigger payday in the end...let him roll...

Maybe he can get a couple of quick wins...and go out against Bernard Hopkins...or something like that...

ALinChainz
07-31-2005, 03:08 PM
I just hope he doesn't end up worse off health wise. You can barely understand a word he says anymore. And at 46, I don't see him challenging for any major title.

His kid does look impressive, I've seen a couple of his fights. Only a record of 7-0, so the competition hasn't been great yet.