PDA

View Full Version : Led Zep To Reform?

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 06:25 AM
There are rumours circulating that Led Zep are to reform and tour next year.

The reason for this is because of Sanctuary Records, who have bought a lot of Classic Rock's back catalouge, and have on their books Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Rush, ELP, Motorhead and a shitload more.

They are also a management group and manage Page/Plant.

The company have some financial difficulties, and rumours persist that Led Zep are to reform in order to help the record company and tour in 2006.

Sadly, I do not have a link, because I just heard it on the radio.

But, if Pink Floyd can do it...

guitarboy5150
07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
that would be awesome if they did but it wouldnt be lz w/o bonham...they should call it something else

ALinChainz
07-01-2005, 11:01 AM
They need to get Bonzo's son, Jason.

That would be the closest thing and I think the fans would turn out huge for it.

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I'd be surprised if it actually happened.

ALinChainz
07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
I doubt it ever will.

academic punk
07-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Hope not.

Plant's new album kicks fuckin' ass, and I like what he's up to these days.

Anything with Page would be retread.

Jesterstar
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
They need to get Bonzo's son, Jason.

That would be the closest thing and I think the fans would turn out huge for it.

A guy I know who Rodied during the 80's knows his son really well. He met him out for drinks one night and I met him. Nice guy. Richer than god though.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, he's getting his dad's money, isn't he?

Matt White
07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Watch the LIVE LED ZEPPELIN DVD to see why the ZEPs haven't gotten back together. Three words: JOHN HENRY BONHAM

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 03:16 PM
There'd be admittedly little point in a reunion...an occasional oddball show with Jason would probably be OK...but as to a full time thing, what'd be the point?

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
There'd be admittedly little point in a reunion...an occasional oddball show with Jason would probably be OK...but as to a full time thing, what'd be the point?

$$

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
$$

True, but if money were the motivating factor, why wouldn't they have done it ten years ago? Fifteen?

Rikk
07-01-2005, 03:57 PM
I personally thought WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE was a great album. I really loved Page's playing on that and the two worked very well together again. I would love a follow-up.

I, too, however, like PLANT's new album.

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I like vaginas.

BrownSound1
07-01-2005, 04:39 PM
I think they should get Michael Lee, who played drums for them on the Page/Plant tour. He did a fine job playing the Zep stuff.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it though.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 05:07 PM
No, 'taint gonna happen, I just thought I'd post the rumour to get everyone's hopes up.

Panamark
07-01-2005, 05:10 PM
At least they did actually do the reunion thing for the fans...

Matt White
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I personally thought WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE was a great album. I really loved Page's playing on that and the two worked very well together again. I would love a follow-up.

I, too, however, like PLANT's new album.

:DBWAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think we're the only two people alive who thought WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE was Killer Rikk!!!

Sounded GRATE live!!!

I think I'll listen to it on my way to work!

Rikk
07-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

I think we're the only two people alive who thought WALKING INTO CLARKSDALE was Killer Rikk!!!

Sounded GRATE live!!!

Been listening to it a lot this week. Also been playing PLANT's new album today.

And you're right...the stuff was great live. What a tour!

MOST HIGH is a classic. Some would shoot me for this...but I'd put it up there with IN THE EVENING and TEN YEARS GONE.

Terry
07-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Have dug Plant's solo stuff. The Plant and Page Un-Ledded thing kinda sucked, as did Walking Into Clarksdale.

I mean, even if Jason Bonham and JPJ did participate, and LZ did 'reunite', what would be the point? Plant's voice isn't totally shot, but he wouldn't be able to pull off a lot of the Zep stuff in the original key. The two documented times 'Led Zep' tried to get back together post-1980 were pretty lame, and I wasn't all that impressed with the 1995 jam at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Zep DVD released a couple years back was great. If Zep wanna do something, dig up the rest of the footage from Knebworth, Earls Court and find some 1977 tour stuff - throw that shit on another DVD for us. That'd excite me more than watching Plant, Page, Jason B and JPJ take a shot at competing against a legacy they have no chance in hell of matching.

Antman
07-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't think it will ever happen but if it does Jason Bonham would be the only acceptable replacement. Besides, why would Jason Bonham give up his Foreigner gig? Plus John Paul Jones is still pissed at Plant.

ben halen
07-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
Been listening to it a lot this week. Also been playing PLANT's new album today.

And you're right...the stuff was great live. What a tour!

MOST HIGH is a classic. Some would shoot me for this...but I'd put it up there with IN THE EVENING and TEN YEARS GONE.

No comment.

TEMPLEMAN
07-03-2005, 03:48 PM
The chick drummer from White Stripes would be the first choice to play drums for Zep ofcourse.

FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

tydhurst
07-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TEMPLEMAN
The chick drummer from White Stripes would be the first choice to play drums for Zep ofcourse.

FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Award for the least funny Recruit goes to...

THIS GUY!

Vinnie Velvet
07-04-2005, 10:32 AM
A full blown Zep reunion will never happen.

And as someone said earlier --three words: John Henry Bonham.

They've done one-off performances in the past (Live Aid, Atlantic Records anniversary show, etc) and Page and Plant have toured by themselves, but I think you'll never see a LED ZEPPELIN reunion tour.

But the rumours will always be around.

ODShowtime
07-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

Sounded GRATE live!!!

I don't have the album, but a couple of those tunes SMOKED live. Most High was like the Kashmir/When the Levee Breaks sequel.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by guitarboy5150
that would be awesome if they did but it wouldnt be lz w/o bonham...they should call it something else

NOPE.....call it Led Zeppelin 'cause they NEED to get Bonzo's son Jason on the skins....that guy knows his dad's stuff better than anyone in the world.....I don't think Bonzo would mind his own son replacing him....

classicdude
07-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Might be nice to see them reunited, but I doubt it would ever happen. I think AC/DC is probably the most successful act to play on without an original member. Journey isn't the same without Steve Perry. I don't think of the current tour as a Queen tour since Freddie Mercury is gone.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by classicdude
I don't think of the current tour as a Queen tour since Freddie Mercury is gone.

That's why its called Queen + Paul Rodgers, and not just Queen.

Seriously, though, I'm the biggest Freddie fan in the world (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit), and I have to say that Paul Rodgers is doing an excellent job, and it's good to see Brian and Roger playing together again. They needed to call it Queen so as they could get people interested, they couldn't call it May Taylor and Rodgers, because it doesn't have a ring to it, Queen + Paul Rodgers tells you everything you need to know. Its members of Queen, and Paul Rodgers. Sorry, I'm ranting again. I love a good rant!

Brian himself said "Its not the Queen you saw 20 years ago, its a very different animal".

Shaun Ponsonby
07-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by classicdude
I think AC/DC is probably the most successful act to play on without an original member.

YES
DEEP PURPLE
GENESIS
RAINBOW
WHITESNAKE
PINK FLOYD
MOTORHEAD

All did their best business without original members.

Roy Munson
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Jason Bonham WOULD NOT be the best drummer for that seat. Sorry, but just because he is Bonzo's kid doesn't mean he plays like Bonzo! In fact, he's quite different when it comes to feel and overall style.

The best guy for the job is now dead - Tony Thompson. They actually considered keeping the band going after Bonzo died and Tony was involved in rehearsals for a few weeks with the band. However, they just decided it wouldn't be right to carry on. They did use Tony for the Live Aid gig...which might have gone over better if Phil Collins hadn't pushed his way into being on stage. He was not part of the original plan for the gig but had a hissy-fit when he found out about it. So, they let him play alongside Tony which was a train wreck. They are two completely different drummers. Tony plays BEHIND the beat whereas Phil plays right on it. Bonzo was a "behind the beat" player. You can't have two guys whose feel is so different from each other playing at the same time and not expect something to sound out of place.

Anyhoo...

I believe Michael Lee would be a great stand in for the drum chair as he has a similar feel to Bonzo. Also, Eric Kretz from STP, while not a phenominal drummer, has that laid-back, behind-the-beat feel. I think he could get it done convincingly.

Of course, the only other person I KNOW COULD DO IT is ME!!!!!!!!! Seriously, I could fucking nail that gig!

classicdude
07-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
YES
DEEP PURPLE
GENESIS
RAINBOW
WHITESNAKE
PINK FLOYD
MOTORHEAD

All did their best business without original members.

I forgot Metallica too. :)