PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Vacancy Sign Is Now Out!!!

DrMaddVibe
07-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Here we go!!!!:D

Phil theStalker
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
"World War III" (Bush speech quote) will end da Supreme court and da U.S.A.

so tit won't last long

"FREEDOM!!!"
Braveheart

:spank:

DrMaddVibe
07-01-2005, 10:36 AM
O'Connor to Retire From Supreme Court

By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court and a key swing vote on issues such as abortion and the death penalty, said Friday she is retiring.

O'Connor, 75, said she expects to leave before the start of the court's next term in October, or whenever the Senate confirms her successor. There was no immediate word from the White House on who might be nominated to replace O'Connor.

It's been 11 years since the last opening on the court, one of the longest uninterrupted stretches in history. O'Connor's decision gives Bush his first opportunity to appoint a justice.

"This is to inform you of my decision to retire from my position as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, effective upon the nomination and confirmation of my successor. It has been a great privilege indeed to have served as a member of the court for 24 terms. I will leave it with enormous respect for the integrity of the court and its role under our constitutional structure."

President Bush planned to make a statement at 11:15 a.m. EDT in the White House Rose Garden on her resignation. Spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush would not at that time be announcing a nominee to succeed her.

O'Connor's appointment came amid speculation that the aging court would soon have a vacancy. But speculation has most recently focused on Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, 80, and suffering from thyroid cancer. Rehnquist has offered no public clue as to his plans.

The White House has refused to comment on any possible nominees, or whether Bush would name a woman to succeed O'Connor. Her departure leaves Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the only other woman among the current justices.

Possible replacements include Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales and federal courts of appeals judges J. Michael Luttig, John Roberts, Samuel A. Alito Jr., Michael McConnell, Emilio Garza and James Harvie Wilkinson III. Others mentioned are former Solicitor General Theodore Olson, lawyer Miguel Estrada and former deputy attorney general Larry Thompson, but Bush's pick could be a surprise choice not well known in legal circles.

Another prospective candidate is Edith Hollan Jones, a judge on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals who was also considered for a Supreme Court vacancy by President Bush's father.

O'Connor's appointment in 1981 by President Ronald Reagan, quickly confirmed by the Senate, ended 191 years of male exclusivity on the high court.

She wasted little time building a reputation as a hard-working moderate conservative who emerged as a crucial power broker on the nine-member court.

O'Connor often lines up with the court's conservative bloc, as she did in 2000 when the court voted to stop Florida presidential ballot recounts sought by Al Gore, and effectively called the election for President Bush.

As a "swing voter," however, O'Connor sometimes votes with more liberal colleagues.

Perhaps the best example of her influence is the court's evolving stance on abortion. She distanced herself both from her three most conservative colleagues, who say there is no constitutional underpinning for a right to abortion, and from more liberal justices for whom the right is a given.

Phil theStalker
07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
they're finished

you don't go against 230 years of supreme court justices who've upheld and defined CLEARLY wot PUBLIC use is and MEANS and have your court and your country survive

afta da Clinton regime making COMMUNIST China a "friendly" nation and building nuke plants in N. Korea t2o da last thr3ee years and t2wo terms aff Bush America is FINISHED

yer rite, "heer wee goo"

rite int2o WWIII and da end aff da U.S.A.

i have sum Conferderate mmoney..

tit may come in handy

get water, get food, get ready

ODShowtime
07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
oh no

Phil theStalker
07-01-2005, 10:48 AM
C'mon!

230 YEARS of the DEFINITION of PUBLIC use and these justices say, "No, WE know wot PUBLIC use means."

The country is [U]OVER.

It's FINISHED.

Just wait your time.

and get ready

ps If yoo're not an American don't think yer safe.. when America goes down WWIII will be at YOUR front door -- AGAIN!

HEAR ME EUROPE!

Phil theStalker
07-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
C'mon!

230 YEARS of the DEFINITION of PUBLIC use and these justices say, "No, WE know wot PUBLIC use means."

The country is [U]OVER.

It's FINISHED.

Just wait your time.

and get ready

ps If yoo're not an American don't think yer safe.. when America goes down WWIII will be at YOUR front door -- AGAIN!

HEAR ME EUROPE!

Get ready Europe.

The Bush puppet f4or the one world government'ers is starting WWIII.

And there won't bee NO U.S. force t2o save you.

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Bush will get some pressure to appoint a woman to fill O'Connor's slot.

I bet he picks Ann the Man. ;)

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
This will be interesting for sure. My money's on JOHN ASHCROFT.;)

FORD
07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
Bush will get some pressure to appoint a woman to fill O'Connor's slot.

I bet he picks Ann the Man. ;)

But s/he's not a woman. The senate should demand a DNA test if that's the case.

Seriously though, this is bad news for the country. Rehnquist's imminent death/retirement didn't really bother me all that much, as the Chimp would pick one extremist "conservative" to replace another.

O'Connor is a different story. While she IS an appointee of the BCE (specifically Poppy under Reagan's name) and was part of the Felonious Florida Five who shredded Democracy on 12/12/2000, her decisions were not always compliant with the BCE agenda. In fact, O'connor was often the swing vote on the 9 judge court. Replacing her with an extremist could really hurt what's left of checks & balances in this country.

This makes 2006 elections all that more important. If Chimp gets away with an extremist here, then we must pray that Rehnquist makes it through to at least 2007. And for God's sake, don't let anything happen to Stevens :(

Warham
07-01-2005, 04:22 PM
It doesn't really matter for you liberals, because the next President's not going to be a Democrat, unless you are willing to get behind Hillary the way you didn't for Jean Francois Kerry.

I heard Ted Olson's name come up on the radio. His wife was killed on 9/11 in one of the planes that hit the Towers. Just speculation at this point.

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Warham
It doesn't really matter for you liberals, because the next President's not going to be a Democrat, unless you are willing to get behind Hillary the way you didn't for Jean Francois Kerry.

Funny, we have the Democratic contender already pegged, what about the Republican?

Warham
07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Republicans don't want to really get behind somebody now since Bush still has three years left in office. Remember, Democrats are the ones foaming at the mouth waiting for the next election. They need to get the car warmed up before they get on the highway and put it in 4th gear. The Republicans are just in cruise control right now. No hurries.

Besides, Hillary is a polarizing figure. It won't take much.

FORD
07-01-2005, 04:36 PM
For Immediate Release
July 1, 2005

Statement by DNC Chair Howard Dean on the Retirement of Supreme Court
Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Washington, DC -- DNC Chair Howard Dean today applauded Supreme Court
Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's service to the nation. He called on
President Bush to follow the example set when President Reagan nominated
Justice O'Connor by choosing consensus over conflict in selecting a
nominee to fill the vacancy:

"As the first woman on the Court, Justice O'Connor is one of our
nation's most important historical figures. Her retirement marks a
truly significant moment. While we might not have agreed with all of her
decisions, she has been a voice of moderation whose career was marked by
a commitment to placing the law ahead of partisanship and ideology. It
is crucial that the next Supreme Court Justice bring this philosophy to
the highest court in the land."

"All Americans today are united in expressing our gratitude to
Justice O'Connor for her service to our country: President Bush should
choose to continue that unity. Americans deserve a dignified process,
one that puts our democracy and the rights of all Americans ahead of
partisanship and ideology.

"President Bush should follow the example established by President
Reagan when he nominated Justice O'Connor. President Reagan had the
courage to stand up to the right wing extremists in his party by
choosing a moderate, thoughtful jurist.

"A President faces no more important decision in terms of protecting
the rights and liberties of all Americans than nominating a Supreme
Court Justice. President Bush has a constitutional responsibility to do
what presidents before him have done -- seek the advice of senators from
both parties before making a nomination, and choose a mainstream nominee
who will protect our most important rights and freedoms.

"Democrats hope this process can be one of consensus, rather than
confrontation, but that will be up to President Bush."

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 04:38 PM
There is no way Bush will nominate a moderate.

Warham
07-01-2005, 04:39 PM
You are correct, GS.

I think he's been waiting for this ever since he put his right hand up five years ago, in anticipation with a stack of resumes on his desk.

Warham
07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
'Progress for America, a conservative group, instantly launched a humorous Web-based advertisement meant to anticipate attacks on Bush's as-yet-unknown choice and mock them at the same time.

"The president nominated George Washington for the Supreme Court. Democrats immediately attacked Washington for his environmental record of chopping down cherry trees," it said.'

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/07/01/168962.html

BigBadBrian
07-01-2005, 05:20 PM
You are correct, GS.

I think he's been waiting for this ever since he put his right hand up five years ago, in anticipation with a stack of resumes on his desk.

Yup. His list is ready to go.

:gulp:

DLR'sCock
07-01-2005, 07:45 PM
So he's going to nominate a right wing activist Supreme Court Judge??? Really??? Wow...!!! Go figure....

Right Wing Activists!!!!! Go Go Go!!!!!!!!

You can see them all foaming at the mouth and beating each other off.....

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 07:54 PM
That's kind of the funny part... the neocons frequently complain about "activist" judges -- but what they really mean is that they don't like activist judges who do not share their own agendas. They are more than happy to embrace "activist" judges when those judges assist in implementing those agendas. Take the Terri Schiavo case for example -- if the Florida appellate courts had gone the other way, do you think they'd be labeled activists? No. They'd be applauded for "faithfully applying the Constitution." The same is true for Roe v. Wade and other hot potato issues.

LOL. Hypocrites.

DLR'sCock
07-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
That's kind of the funny part... the neocons frequently complain about "activist" judges -- but what they really mean is that they don't like activist judges who do not share their own agendas. They are more than happy to embrace "activist" judges when those judges assist in implementing those agendas. Take the Terri Schiavo case for example -- if the Florida appellate courts had gone the other way, do you think they'd be labeled activists? No. They'd be applauded for "faithfully applying the Constitution." The same is true for Roe v. Wade and other hot potato issues.

LOL. Hypocrites.

Come on GS, we all know that they live and breathe hypocrisy, but that's what makes it all so fun!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

FORD
07-01-2005, 08:06 PM
'Progress for America, a conservative group, instantly launched a humorous Web-based advertisement meant to anticipate attacks on Bush's as-yet-unknown choice and mock them at the same time.

"The president nominated George Washington for the Supreme Court. Democrats immediately attacked Washington for his environmental record of chopping down cherry trees," it said.'

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/07/01/168962.html

Junior would never nominate George Washington. A man who "cannot tell a lie" wouldn't last 5 minutes in the BCE.

stringfelowhawk
07-01-2005, 08:40 PM
This scares the hell outta me. That's the only way to put it. Wonder why now? Wonder who's behind her with dirt to share? Wonder how this came at a time when this country is truly at the proverbial "crossroads". I have to follow my instinct and say this might very well be the final act that weakens this country at a time when we can't afford another blow. What I mean is simply, "we have a republican president, a republican dominated congress, and the choice to succeed her will no doubt be someone that will vote for republican agendas over what is actually right for the law, the Constitution, or this country." Imagine what's gonna happen when the death penalty issue is thrown back into public attention to take our attention off the war. Coming from a former governor who now sits in the white house who happens to think there are "NO" innocent people in jail, I'm left speechless. Guess he don't count the "terror suspects" that have been released from JAIL after being detained for various lengths of time and investigated then proven to be innocent. I'm no Bush supporter. I think he's done more to hurt this country than help but it is unfair to compare him to Hitler. That's a bit over the top. Of course, I also believe the only way to wipe out all the special interest agendas and lobbyists is to just fire every politician that holds a current office and disallowing politicians to ever run a political campaign again. I mean, if you're a politician, "YOU'RE FIRED"! We need a few truly honest people in office. I've never heard of an honest politician and these are the people we trust to run our country. Maybe we should just grab a few average joes that understand finance, that understand the law and can make unbiased decisions without being promised or threatened by a higher authority. We need doctors and nurses that have worked in foreign countries for 10 years to come home and fix health care. I grew up in the same house with an uncle who was not only blind but has always suffered from one health threat or another because his mother had hepatitis b when he was born. The HMO's that come out to see him are pathetic. If you could see how much comes out of his pocket to pay for something he can't live without is insane. You have pharmacutical companies releasing drugs that haven't been carefully tested because they know the government will side with them unless some whistleblower can prove malpractice. In that case the government will just seperate and deny. Is it really so difficult to NOT give the wealthy more tax breaks at the cost to us blue collars that break our backs to pay for something we don't get to enjoy? Social Security is the biggest clusterfuck this side of Iraq and all every president says is, "It's gonna get better cause I have a plan"! They don't bother to tell you all the while they've been relocating SS funds for other projects. I'm so tired of politicians I'd vote for a Parrot at this point.

Sorry bout venting. I just feel that we are running short on time and long on bullshit!

Cathedral
07-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Stock up on ammo, dry and canned goods and water.
Buy nothing that is perishable and make sure you have a good generator and plenty of fuel on hand to run it.

It would also be a great idea to form a neighborhood defense group so when the shit does hit the fan you'll be working together instead of against each other.

I know all my neighbors, i know who is armed and who will be seeking help because they don't believe in owning guns.
And i'll blast the face off of anyone who threatens my security, and that means, anyone.

I see the writing on the wall, and the sad part of it all is that it doesn't matter which political party is calling the shots.
America has been hated for decades, it was only a matter of time.

I'd like to think i am ready for anything. I won't lay down my arms until my pulse has ceased.

Bring-The-Shit-On, Brotha's and Sista's....................

LoungeMachine
07-02-2005, 08:31 AM

I heard Ted Olson's name come up on the radio. His wife was killed on 9/11 in one of the planes that hit the Towers. Just speculation at this point.

I thought Barbara Olson was supposed to be on the flight that left the little hole in the pentagon.

If you heard Ted Olson's name on the radio, that just means you're listening to too much RUSH / SEAN / FAUX :rolleyes:

DrMaddVibe
07-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
I thought Barbara Olson was supposed to be on the flight that left the little hole in the pentagon.

If you heard Ted Olson's name on the radio, that just means you're listening to too much RUSH / SEAN / FAUX :rolleyes:

How would you know? You tuning in too?

What a hypocrite!

LoungeMachine
07-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
How would you know? You tuning in too?

What a hypocrite!

:rolleyes:

Speaking of hypocrites, didn't RUSH call for PRISON for all drug abusers?

:cool:

DrMaddVibe
07-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't know.

You listen to him...I don't!

Whatever.

LoungeMachine
07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

You listen to him...I don't!

No I don't....but I do read news stories about him, and do my research.

You should try it sometime:cool:

DrMaddVibe
07-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Sop it up with your biscuits bub!

You NEED to do your research.