PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Pelosi speaks

Steve Savicki
07-01-2005, 01:33 PM
That next fight arrived today, when Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor announced her retirement.

Over the past few months, we've seen Republican extremism reach new heights. Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist sought to rally the right to his side with the so-called "Nuclear Option" while House Republican Leader Tom DeLay threatened judges for making decisions he didn't agree with - even as violence against judges was raising alarm bells across the country. All of this laid the groundwork for the clash that the extremists have had their eyes on all along: the battle for the independence of the Supreme Court.

With the retirement of Justice O'Connor, who was a key vote in favor of Roe v. Wade, there is is much at stake. The radical right wing will no doubt pour millions of dollars into this fight.

Sign our petition urging President Bush to nominate a moderate, consensus candidate that all Americans can support:

http://www.democraticaction.org/petitions/consensusjudge.shtml

The agenda of the radical right wing is to:

# turn back the clock on women's rights
# overturn Roe v. Wade
# eliminate evolution from school textbooks
# intrude into your family's private life and medical decisions
# decrease funding for programs that protect the public and the environment
# benefit big business and special interest groups

President Bush has an opportunity to nominate a mainstream judge that the American people can unite behind. America enjoys the greatest wealth of legal talent in the world, and there are plenty of Republican judges that Democrats could support. But the radical right sees the opportunity to shape the Court for the next generation by installing an ultra-conservative Justice, and few anticipate that President Bush will turn his back on them for the first time now.

Ask President Bush to nominate a consensus candidate who will unite, not divide Americans:

http://www.democraticaction.org/petitions/consensusjudge.shtml

If President Bush rejects our recommendation to nominate a consensus candidate, Democrats must be prepared to mobilize immediately to make sure that Republicans don't politicize the last independent branch of government. There is nothing Republicans will attack more aggressively than a check on their power, and they will relish the opportunity to install an ideologue for a lifetime appointment. This is but one plank in the unflinching power grab that is the Republican agenda.

We will keep up the fight, and we will keep you up to date. Stay tuned, and stay vigilant.

Sincerely,
Nancy Pelosi
House Democratic Leader

DrMaddVibe
07-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Fuck her...with YOUR dick!

Warham
07-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Pelosi isn't going to get behind any moderate.

The liberals have one thing in mind...Roe vs. Wade. All of the other stuff is just peripheral.

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Warham
The liberals have one thing in mind...Roe vs. Wade. All of the other stuff is just peripheral.

I don't agree with that. But assuming it's true... the same could be said for the neocons.

Warham
07-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Yes, it could.

But I believe it's more important to the liberals, because abortion has been legal since '73. It'd be like ripping their hearts out to have that decision overturned. I can just see the pro-choice groups ready to implode if that ever happened.

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes, it could.

But I believe it's more important to the liberals, because abortion has been legal since '73. It'd be like ripping their hearts out to have that decision overturned. I can just see the pro-choice groups ready to implode if that ever happened.

There are still five votes for it on the court, and overturning Roe Vs. Wade would have an adverse impact on elections in the future.

Warham
07-01-2005, 06:53 PM
The funny thing about O'Connor is that she is considered a moderate conservative but voted for keeping Roe vs. Wade on the books every time for a 5-4 decision(funny thing about Reagan, he seemed to nominate conservatives who tended to vote liberal on many issues). If Bush gets a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, that'd be enough to overturn it.

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Don't get giddy War... like Nick pointed out, overturning Roe v. Wade would probably hurt the Republicans in the long run. A majority of voters continue to believe that abortion should remain legal and if a new majority on the Supreme Court rules otherwise, it would light a fire under the pro-choice lobby and I think you'd see a backlash against Republican candidates.

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 07:02 PM
The funny thing about O'Connor is that she is considered a moderate conservative but voted for keeping Roe vs. Wade on the books every time for a 5-4 decision(funny thing about Reagan, he seemed to nominate conservatives who tended to vote liberal on many issues). If Bush gets a dyed-in-the-wool conservative, that'd be enough to overturn it.

I don't think so, he'll need one more. And I think the Justices tend to get less conservative and more moderate as they age. And the fact that the American people favor legal abortion by a margin of two to one also weights in.

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't think he needs "one more," Nick, I think he'll have it with this nominee. But even if he needs another, he'll get it before his term ends. There are too many geezers on the Court right now and Rehnquist in particular seems to be on his last legs.

Warham
07-01-2005, 07:10 PM
She did admit once that abortion should have been left as a states right issue.

I think Americans might favor abortion two to one if the mother is in the first trimester and her life would be in danger. I'm not sure the public is two to one if it's just used as a birth control device.

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I don't think he needs "one more," Nick, I think he'll have it with this nominee. But even if he needs another, he'll get it before his term ends. There are too many geezers on the Court right now and Rehnquist in particular seems to be on his last legs.

I was listening to NPR, I thought they said that this wasn't necessarily a slam dunk.

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 07:11 PM
She did admit once that abortion should have been left as a states right issue.

That's because she's a conservative.;)

Guitar Shark
07-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I was listening to NPR

And you call yourself a Republican!? :eek: :p

;)

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
And you call yourself a Republican!? :eek: :p

;)

Well, I did pull their funding, buy not donating this year.;)

BigBadBrian
07-01-2005, 08:12 PM
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/7855.jpg

Nickdfresh
07-01-2005, 09:59 PM
I think I meant "by." I'm fucking under the weather today. Damn sinuses!

Hardrock69
07-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Bush would rather choke on Bill Clinton's pin-dick than nominate a Supreme Corut Justice with an opinion of their own who is not a neo-con.

Cathedral
07-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Question: How bad a shape would Social Security be in if in 1973 we didn't make abortion legal?

An entire generation of babies have been discarded that at this point would be paying into the system in some fashion.

I would applaud Roe vs. Wade being overturned, no doubt about that.

If a life force is extinguished by the hand of another, that's murder.

Cathedral
07-02-2005, 07:46 AM
"A baby isn't a baby until you bring it home from the hospital" -N. Pelosi

That bitch needs electro shock therapy and a sock shoved into her mouth.
She's one evil misguided whore............