PDA

View Full Version : Back In Black: The Lyrical Debate

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Its one of the greatest contoversies in the history of AC/DC: did the late Bon Scott write any of the lyrics on Back In Black? Bearing in mind that Bon died on Feb 19th 1980, and that the album was released just 5 months later.

Officially, Bon is not credited for writing any of the lyrics on the album, but there's a lot more to this scenario than the superficial. Firstly, Ian Jeffery, AC/DCs then tour manager, claims to have a file of papers which Bon wrote for the album.The band themselves have never denied this story, but insist that all of these were scrapped, and that Angus & Malcom Young wrote new lyrics along with new vocalist Brian Johnson. Journalist Malcom Dome claims to have seen some of these sheets himself, a couple of days prior to his death at The Music Machine in London, a popular place for the charismatic frontman and other like-minded musos (like LEMMY).

Bon proudly showed him some of the scribbles he had put down for the album he felt would DEFINE AC/DC., and also open up new possibilities. He says, "Its hard to be absolutely accurate from a distance of a quarter of a century and through the haze of of alcohol which enveloped that night, but one line sticks in my mind as being on one of those sheets: 'She told me to come, but I was already there'. A renowned lyric from the song 'You Shook Me All Night Long', it has Bon's trademark all over it-a neatly worked double-entendre that fits with the track record of the man that wrote 'Big Balls' and 'The Jack'."

But, there's further, albeit, circumstantial, evidence that leads AC/DC aficionados to suggest Bon Scott did play a role on 'Back In Black'. Compare lyrics like 'She's using her head' on 'Giving The Dog A Bone' with the Bom-era output, and with other lyrics written by Brian Johnson. It seems as though they belong more in the former's approach as opposed to the latter's. The fact is that Bon was a sprightly weaver of streetwise words, whereas, Johnson, is alot less subtle.

Of course, unless somebody unearths the actual sheets of paper that Bon wrote the lyrics for 'Back In Black' on, then none of this can be proven.It must also be pointed out that very few people have doubted the a lot of the lyrics were written after his death ('Hells Bells', for instance). However, nagging doubt remains. One fuelled when AC/DC released the 'BONFIRE' box-set in 1997, containing solely Bon Scott recrdings , plus (inexplicably) 'Back In Black'. Why was 'Back In Black' included? Was it AC/DCs way of indirectly aknowledging their debt to him on the album?

But, on a final thought, lets straighten out one myth. Bon Scott never recorded a demo for 'Back In Black'. Over the years, many have insisted that these tapes exsist. However, don't you think if that were the case, that by now, somebody would have managed to get them into the public domain?

And now, discuss...

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 03:52 PM
It's hard saying, either way. Frankly, to my mind, if AC/DC had used Bon's lyrics (or at least expanded on what he had, changed certain things, whatever the case may be), they probably should own up to it. There's no shame in doing so - Back in Black is a very accurate album, and it certainly DOES define AC/DC cover to cover. There'd be no shame to them, in my mind, if they said they used Bon's lyrics. If they don't admit it, or insist that they didn't, that's fine with me too.

We'll probably never know the truth of it for certain until those scribblings make it into the public.

You're right in the thinking that the Back in Black demos would have surfaced by now, if they were out there.

Redballjets88
07-01-2005, 03:53 PM
is bon on back in black at all...i never listen to my copy so i dunno

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
is bon on back in black at all...i never listen to my copy so i dunno

No - all Brian Johnson.

Redballjets88
07-01-2005, 03:57 PM
thats kinda gay that ac/dc's best selling album doesnt have bon

bueno bob
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM

Dead has a way of putting a halt to your singing career...lol

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure if BIB would have been as big unless Bon wouldn't have died. Bon's death put them in newspapers etc and people were interested in what would happen with a new vocalist, even those who wern't particulary fans.

muffinman14
07-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Bon contributed ZERO lyrics on that album, and the only song he'd heard any of was Have a Drink on Me cause he played drums when they ran through it a couple times while rehearsing on the Highway to Hell tour, but that was well before it had a name or lyrics.

Unlike the VH brothers. the Youngs and Brian are respectable and trustworthy people who all think Bon was the greatest, and there is no way they'd lie about who wrote the BIB lyrics. Brian wouldn't take credit for it, and the brothers would never have given him credit for it had he not done it. That IS the way it works in AC/DC world, any other arguments to the contrary are inaccurate.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Yea, but it may have been the record company who printed Brian's name on th album sleeve credits, not AC/DC.

AC/DC themselves have commented very little on the matter.

Dave's Bitch
07-01-2005, 05:47 PM

the album would be different if it had bon on it but i dont think it would be any better.Brian Johnson did a great job and is a really good replacement for bon

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2005, 06:40 PM
As opposed to Haggis for Roth.

DLR7884
07-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Bon Scott had NOTHING to do with any lyrics on that album.

DLR7884
I just saw it on the "Best Albums Ever" series on VH1.

muffinman14
07-02-2005, 03:20 PM
"AC/DC themselves have commented very little on the matter."

Believe me, they've commented plenty on it.

FORD
07-02-2005, 03:54 PM
On the Behind the Music episode, Angus & Malcolm claim that Bon was going to begin vocals for the album the very morning after he died.

This could very well mean that he had lyrics, or at least rough ideas for lyrics written out on these mythical sheets, but not specifically tied to any piece of music.

thome
07-02-2005, 04:20 PM
AC/DC has had many line up changes a lead singer before Scott.
Scott really set the tone. Agreed, I just want state no one could
fill Scotts shoes and Johnson is no slouch and carried the Vocals
like no other and helped make that Band one of the most
gotta see shows on Earth.Without johnson they may have never
been heard from again .

Dr. Edison
07-02-2005, 04:44 PM
It doesn't really make sense to me why it would be called Back in Black if Bon had written it since the use of "back" would only make sense when they lost Bon. But if Lemmy says that "you told me to come, but I was already there" was written by Bon I'm gonna have to say that Lemmy's right, just 'cause he's Lemmy. I do remember, however, Johnson saying that he wrote "You Shook Me All Night Long" after having the worst case of the "runs" that he ever had, so I guess that must be a lie right there. "Givin' the Dog a Bone" sounds like pure Scott so I can't doubt that he wrote that, unless the Youngs wrote it in his style in honor of him.

Vinnie Velvet
07-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
On the Behind the Music episode, Angus & Malcolm claim that Bon was going to begin vocals for the album the very morning after he died.

This could very well mean that he had lyrics, or at least rough ideas for lyrics written out on these mythical sheets, but not specifically tied to any piece of music.

Bingo.

So, with that in mind, its quite possible Brian used fragments or pieces of words of the lyrics Bon had written.

Malcom and Brian would then work around them, add some bits and put them to the music.

Its an interesting debate since a lot of the lyrics on BIB are more in tune with Bon's stuff than say stuff from For those About to Rock and Flick of the Switch.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Dead has a way of putting a halt to your singing career...lol

LMFAO!

muffinman14
07-06-2005, 12:10 AM
"since a lot of the lyrics on BIB are more in tune with Bon's stuff than say stuff from For those About to Rock and Flick of the Switch."

I just don't see where you are coming from with that statement.

Panamark
07-06-2005, 02:54 AM
What about the concept that they dedicated this album to Bon,
and hence wrote it in a more "Bon like" style. (Including the
lyrics). Perhaps with some of those scribblings thrown in, in places.
I could believe that..

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Actually, that seems reasonable

Malcom-"Back In Black was a tribute to Bon..."

Seshmeister
07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Plus if you've just lost your singer you want to try and keep as much of the rest of the winning formula as you can.

muffinman14
07-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I actually believe that die-hard Bon-only AC/DC fans like to say Bon was involved with some of the lyrics to BIB as an excuse to justify them owning and liking it(which is pretty fucking sad if you ask me).

Bill Lumbergh
07-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Edison
It doesn't really make sense to me why it would be called Back in Black if Bon had written it since the use of "back" would only make sense when they lost Bon. But if Lemmy says that "you told me to come, but I was already there" was written by Bon I'm gonna have to say that Lemmy's right, just 'cause he's Lemmy. I do remember, however, Johnson saying that he wrote "You Shook Me All Night Long" after having the worst case of the "runs" that he ever had, so I guess that must be a lie right there. "Givin' the Dog a Bone" sounds like pure Scott so I can't doubt that he wrote that, unless the Youngs wrote it in his style in honor of him.

I saw an interview with Brian, where he said "You Shook........" was written about his fantasies about what American women were like in bed.

Seshmeister
07-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Nah you're getting mixed up with 'Riff Raff'...;)

DlocRoth
07-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Plus if you've just lost your singer you want to try and keep as much of the rest of the winning formula as you can.

Funny...

That's not what happened with my favorite band.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
I think he means if you have any sense whatsoever. EVH obviously doesn't.