• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

War Of The Worlds.....

Well I saw it.

I wonder what Spielberg spent most of his budget on....it wasn't on the screenplay that is for sure.

He probably tried to be a little bit faithful to the original story, but the end was set up in a fairly non-exciting manner.

Compared to the original 1950s version of this classic sci-fi tale, this comes up really short.

Granted, it is suspenseful enough to keep one entertained for 2 hours, but the first film had more in the way of subplots, etc.

The Speshul Effex were ok I suppose, but I am not even sure I want to own this on DVD.

And Tom Cruise was his usual self, but he is not a good character actor, and his real personna is not interesting enough to sneeze at. I can deal with someone like Arnold, who is not a character actor either, but at least he is cool.

I give it 2 stars out of 5, and I really do not care if I ever see it again or not....

Sometime this weekend I want to go see Land Of The Dead. At least the story will be original, and not a poor adaptation of a book.
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Well, that's good enough for me. I'm skipping it. Was probably going to skip it anyway, this just basically makes it official. It just doesn't look interesting to me.

The last time I really saw something good with Tom in it was Vanilla Sky, which I rather enjoyed. Haven't cared for anything since.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• moose
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

I'll wait till it comes out on DVD, gonna watch Batman instead.
      If you can there's this German movie called "tattoo", get your hands on it and watch it.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Sounds kewel. Yeah I have heard much good stuff about Batman. Tho I am sick and tired of it being an "Actor Of The Month" franchise....

I mean shit, Christopher Reeves (R.I.P.) was in three of the fucking Supie films...

SUPIE IS BAD!!!!

**ahem**

Comment

• EbDawson
          Veteran
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
          Sounds kewel. Yeah I have heard much good stuff about Batman.
          I'd recommend it. I thought it was very good. Thanks for the heads up on WotWs. I'm gonna pass on that one too.
          "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Saw it yesterday. Wouldn't bother getting War of the Worlds on DVD, because the special effects aren't gonna translate well onto the small screen.

Far as movies these days go, thought the first 40 minutes or so of War of the Worlds was good. Not GREAT, but good. Am not a Cruise fan, but he did ok. Problem is, the movie got slow and boring once Tim Robbins made his appearance, and then it all just kinda ended abruptly.

Saw a trailer for the new King Kong. Boy, does that look like one big slab o' shit. Just looking at the trailer, I could see several scenes where not only were the giant ape and dinos cgi'd in (obviously), but it looked like the entire scene outside of the actors was all computer generated, and the actors were just inserted in. Looked like a video game. Kinda like that other piece of shit, Van Helsing. Am gonna pass on that one.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Figs
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Thanks for the warnings guys, and thanks for leaving out spoilers.

There was only about a 10% chance of me seeing this anyway.

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I thought Batman was shit.

They got the character right, Christian Bale was great, but WHAT THE FUCK was anyone thinking casting Katie Holmes as "GOTHAM'S ONE HONEST D.A."??!?

She - Katie fuckin' Holmes - is single-handedly raging against the machine and preventing the complete collapse of Gotham to the corruptd and connected?

Uh...fuckin' think not. And she can't act in the first place.

Save your money on either of these, and get the two Spidey flicks on DVD.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                  I thought Batman was shit.

They got the character right, Christian Bale was great, but WHAT THE FUCK was anyone thinking casting Katie Holmes as "GOTHAM'S ONE HONEST D.A."??!?

She - Katie fuckin' Holmes - is single-handedly raging against the machine and preventing the complete collapse of Gotham to the corruptd and connected?

Uh...fuckin' think not. And she can't act in the first place.

Save your money on either of these, and get the two Spidey flicks on DVD.

Don't make it seem like she had this great big part.

She was about as integral as the spare tire on the Batmobile to the continunity of the movie!

As for WOTW...I won't even download it!
                  http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                  http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

I agree with Terry's details about WOTW.

The first 40 minutes IS good. As I said, enough to keep you riveted to the screen going "Holy Shit!"

But to be quite honest....a lot of action movies remind me of the game Half-Life 2...and yes, the last part of the film was not that great, and yes it ended rather abruptly.

In the first film....the fate of the alien beings was lengthy compared to this.

And there were some scenes in this version that really I thought were kinda gratuitous.
                    Last edited by Hardrock69; 07-02-2005, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Cathedral
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

When it comes to Batman, There is only one Michael Keaton and only one Tim Burton.
                      I couldn't wait for Batman Begins to End and i blame Katie Holmes for that, she sucks as an actress.
                      The suit sucked, the car sucked, the story sucked....It just plain sucked, and I am one HUGE Batman fan.

War of the Worlds?
                      Won't see it at all for 2 reasons:
                      1) Tom Cruise
                      2) Dakota Fanning
                      The casting was enough to kill the anticipation for that one.

Bring on The Dukes of Hazzard, lol.

And then, after that, maybe Hollywood will end it's dance with trying to make old ideas new again.

Hell, I wrote an orginal screenplay called "Zoot Green" 15 years ago that would blow away anything I have seen since then.
                      My story has a hint of "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" with a side helping of "The Time Machine" for flavor.
                      I even designed a vehicle that burrows through the earth (which is called the Zoot Green) and finds a Post-War hippie commune deep in the crust of earth that was built to get away from the radiation of the atomic wars.
                      It spans a 50 year period where the surface people decide to search for this city beneath the dirt they have heard about since the wars ended.
                      But finding them begins a new battle because they didn't want to be found.

It's a sci-fi war epic story that i may have to dig out and re-think about publishing in book form.

So far this year, Star Wars Episode III has been the hit movie for me.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

So far this year, Star Wars Episode III has been the hit movie for me.
                        Was there any doubt?

Comment

• UGS
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2005

Batman was boring and lame as shit. . .but I thought War of the Worlds was awesome.

The basement scene with those robot-python bastards was awesome, even if it was a remake of the kitchen scene from JP with the raptors. Except this movie had the extra bit of Tim Robbin's character fucking it up even if the aliens didn't get them first.
                          Keep on Rothing in the Free World

Comment

• Cathedral
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Not really, Warham, but i was expecting a better Batman film given the trailers i saw.
                            I think another 10 year ban on Batman flicks is in order.

But don't get me wrong, I think Christian Bale did a great job, a close second to Keaton, but Bale is no Keaton.

I would have liked to seen Tim Burton direct this one though, and without Katie Holmes.

The next film i see will be Herbie: Fully Loaded.
                            My daughter gets to choose our next movie and she chose Herbie, lol.
                            She wants me to buy an old Vee Wee Bug, lol.
                            I can't wait for the Dukes movie, maybe then she'll learn to respect my Charger and forget about punch buggies for awhile.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

Uh UGS, it was NOT a remake of the kitchen scene...it was a remake of a scene from the original War Of The Worlds...

Comment

Working...