PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

Cathedral
07-03-2005, 05:09 AM
I just got my new cell phone a few weeks ago and i'm still determining how i like it compared to the last one.

I just moved up to the Audiovox cdm 8910 camera phone and am having difficulty with my BitPim software recognizing it.
I spent a shit load of time making my own mp3 ringtones and just finally got them to load into the phone, which was very scary.

It seems that tons of people are screwing up their 8910's files by trying to alter them like this.

What phone do you have and what is your over-all opinion about it?

Oh, and who here has Verizon Wireless as a provider?

flappo
07-03-2005, 05:34 AM
no idea

i hate the damn things

Cathedral
07-03-2005, 06:13 AM
I can agree, and if it weren't for work i wouldn't have one either.

DavidLeeNatra
07-03-2005, 06:54 AM
nokia 6230i great phone, works fine no problems with the mp3 ringtones (all dave all night)

Coyote
07-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Bog standard Nokia 3310. No mp3-ringtones, no color, no MMS-messaging... But it still works after 5 years. :cool:

Last_Child
07-03-2005, 09:58 AM
ehmm..
See if I remember.

It's a Nokia & It's BLACK!

..wow!
The numbers are unknown (Don't remember!)

But it has a Camera (It sucks) no Mp3's (That Sucks) Can't Film (that Sucks) COLOR!! (quite good, but it sucks temporarily).

Anyways, this thing is invincible!
I've dropped in on the floor several times (By Accident!) and it's still working!
+ other amazing accidents.

I like it.

diamondsgirl
07-03-2005, 10:03 AM
I have a Motorola something or other. No bells or whistles.

Got Jeff Beck Blues as a ring tone. :cool:

David Van Via
07-03-2005, 12:29 PM
I have a windows spv c500, I have the full show of montreal 84 on my phone.

can't go wrong. :D

Ally_Kat
07-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Nokia 165. Yes, the brick. AT&T is my provider; prepaid. Can't complain. I've always have a signal except for a random stretch in the middle of Virginia.

I keep seeing those commercials for the Go phones where it's prepaid and night and weekend are free. That would rock. I assume if night and weekend usage is free, then the long distance would be free and then BAM. I can keep in touch with random people, which would own.

MAX
07-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I have always had Nokias for yeeyas. They are stellar and great phones. I like them cos they aren't too small and extremely easy to operate. Tis' funny cos the last one I purchased opens up into a full keyboard for text-messageing (which I'm too dumb to figure out :o ) and emailing. I didn't care for having it but it was only ten bucks extra, so I figured what the fuck? lol.

My provider has always been AT&T until they recently switched to Cingular which is great cos everyone else who's on Cingular, we can all talk for free on their network.

BigBadBrian
07-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I don't know. I just push the damned buttons and talk. Seriously, it's about three years old and I need a new one. :D

Redballjets88
07-03-2005, 09:14 PM
cell phones are th way to go...i wouldnt even have a house phone. who needs it when people can just call the cell

Hardrock69
07-04-2005, 03:12 AM
I do not have one. I may get one eventually, but I am trying to keep the electronic world at bay for at least a small part of my life...

My friends know my number if they need to leave me a message.

You guys...we are living in the fucking future...if you had told me in 1984 that in 21 years we would have cell phones that had almost all of the capabilities that the device below has, I would have told you you were nuts....

This was set in the 23rd Century....and here it is really only 2005....

Hardrock69
07-04-2005, 03:21 AM
Ok so everyone has this other device.....Kirk was supposed to have his in the 23rd century....but we gots ours today!!!!

classicdude
07-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I have the Audiovox CDM 8900 with service thru US Cellular. After trying their EasyEdge service for a month or so, I said no thanks to that option. I bought a data cable and a flash attachment for the phone so I don't have to get raped by their fees for emailing pics.

Ally_Kat
07-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
cell phones are th way to go...i wouldnt even have a house phone. who needs it when people can just call the cell

I wouldn't go that far. People who lived that mantra go seriously fucked up the ass when the blackout happened. The landline phones were the only ones you could get working, except for the Verizon cell phones but after a while people had problems getting thru on that cuz everyone who had one in the area was using it.

superdave
07-04-2005, 09:17 PM
My wife just picked one up, not for me, thanks!!

I think that people caught talking on one while driving should be executed...

guwapo_rocker
07-04-2005, 09:20 PM
A Sony Ericsson, it's fucking great!!

It works underground, finally a phone that works

in the fucking basement!!

Ally_Kat
07-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
A Sony Ericsson, it's fucking great!!

It works underground, finally a phone that works

in the fucking basement!!

what were you using that wasn't working down there? My Nokia brick with AT&T service was always fine down there.

I don't know how solid this observation is, but I notice that my old-ass phone gets and keeps reception easier than the newer ones everyone want and pay so much for.

guwapo_rocker
07-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I was using a Motorola V something, anyway it wasn't

cheap, and I could be in the middle of a football field and miss calls.

Ally_Kat
07-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh man. Do I know that feeling. My brother has a Motorola and we were trying to get a signal with his. He would have it in his pocket clsoed and it would beep to tell him he had a signal. And when he openned it, the signal would disappear. It was hilarious with him closing and getting a beep and then openning to lose it.

guwapo_rocker
07-04-2005, 09:34 PM
It sucked big time, I will never use another phone from them.

The nokia's we give our lead hands always seem to work well,

even the older ones.

Cathedral
07-05-2005, 01:25 AM
My previous phone was an LG VX4400B, and it worked pretty good, it just didn't have internet options or a camera.
So far the 8910 is doing great, got my VH ringtones and i always have a camera for when the need arises.
Though the pictures it takes aren't the greatest, it wasn't intended to replace my digital camera.

I like the Verizon service too, they have gone leaps and bounds higher to address my questions when i call them.
They even gave me a month free when they screwed up my bill with all these "Get It Now" charges i never made on my old phone which couldn't use them.
I have no games and don't want any, and i don't answer calls when driving, nor do i make any.

I use it strictly for business and family emergencies.

I've been all over the state and never had any issues with a signal, and i put one of those shitty antenna boosters on it and it seems to have done some good with signal strength.

Oh, I uploaded some of my ringtones to my Verizon page if anyone is interested in checking them out here ----> www.drackopolis.net

FORD
07-05-2005, 03:40 AM
I've had 3 cell phones now, all with Verizon....

First was an Ericsson (before they merged with Sony) - basic phone. Probably obsolete before I got it, but it did the job. Had a lot of late night 2 hour long distance calls on that phone and the battery never died on me.

Second one was an LG VX 10. Believed the Verizon sales rep when she told me Consumers Reports rated it very highly. Actually, I can't complain about the phone's performance overall, and I used it for 2 full years, but the biggest problem was you couldn't hear the fucking thing ring from 5 feet away. If I was watching TV it would be hard to hear the phone. If I was listening to Van HALEN....fugeddaboutit!

Verizon gives me a free phone every 2 years, so now I have a Motorola V265. At first it was great. Color screen, rings loud enough to wake the dead, built in speaker phone. It's a camera phone which I swore I would never buy. Still didn't as this was free, but I haven't used the camera and I doubt I will. I already have a digital camera if I need pictures.

Problem with this fucking phone is that there's a short or something in it. I can barely use the fucking thing in normal mode anymore, and speakerphone is even questionable. The headset works, but then that thing is programmed to auto answer after 2 rings, so I don't always get to the phone before it picks up.

It's a goddamn nightmare. Only reason I haven't gone off on Verizon already (apart from it being a holiday weekend) is that I have no landline phone (that's an entirely other story, but FUCK Qwest) and would be depending on outgoing - only voice over IP calls if I had to be without my cell for a few days.