PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Tour de France

BigBadBrian
07-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Armstrong Comes Out Swinging

Armstrong deals a serious blow to his rivals while Zabriskie joins an elite group

By Chris Carmichael
July 02, 2005

When the 2005 Tour de France route was announced last fall, we all knew the long opening time trial was an invitation to both spectacular triumph and stunning disaster. Tonight, the Discovery and CSC teams are all smiles, while there are a lot of hanging heads and wringing hands in the T-Mobile, Phonak, Liberty Seguros, and Euskaltel Euskadi camps.

Lance Armstrong dealt a serious blow to his rivals today. Though a strong performance in the opening day always has a significant psychological impact, Lance hit his rivals with a killer combination. Not only did he clearly show that his form is impeccable; but he also took more than a minute from several potential contenders.

Seconds count at the Tour, and we typically think that giving up 15 seconds on the first day is a big deal. Today, Lance opened up gaps ranging from 53 seconds to more than three minutes on the men who are his biggest threats. Lance caught and passed Jan Ullrich! I thought he would beat the big German, but I didn't expect to see Lance blaze by Jan four kilometers from the finish line and put 66 seconds into him.

As a result of another unexpected (and extraordinary) performance, the CSC team has a lot to be happy about tonight as well. Dave Zabriskie has joined a very small and elite group of racers who have won stages in all three Grand Tours. And while they may be a bit worried about team leader Ivan Basso's performance today, tonight is a night for celebrating Zabriskie's accomplishment. Dave, who is coached by Carmichael Training Systems coach Craig Griffin, is a talented 26-year-old pro who is flourishing in Bjarne Riis's CSC program. Though he'll only wear the Tour de France leader's jersey for a few days this year, I believe it may just be the first of many days in yellow for him.

Lance's performance today was not a fluke, nor a product of particularly favorable winds. He really is that fit and powerful this year. While this may not be comforting news to Lance's rivals, today's performance was just a short preview of what lies ahead for the next three weeks.

As he has watched his form emerge in the weeks since the Dauphine Libere, Lance's attitude around this year's Tour crystallized. He wants to win the last race of his career, he wants to make his rivals suffer in the process, and he wants to roll into Paris with a big lead. There are still three weeks of racing to be contested, and anything can happen. Time gained can be easily lost at any time, but in just 19 kilometers today, Lance took the first big step towards winning a seventh yellow jersey.

Note: For those of you starting the "Do the Tour, Stay at Home" program today, place a mental picture of Jan Ullrich about 100 meters ahead of you on the road. Lance told me after the race that he felt like he found another gear as soon Ullrich appeared on the horizon in front of him.

http://www.bicycling.com/images/cma/stage1_zabriskie.jpg

Link (http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,5976,s1-12283-661,00.html)

POJO_Risin
07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Stage 2...Armstrong in 2nd still...

4 Americans in the top 6...

and rumblings that this new cat in the lead...has the chops to perhaps take over once Lance rolls away after the race...

We'll see who Lance hand picks...

Jérôme Frenchise
07-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry, but the whole pack is also a pharmaceutical lab. None of them doesn't take dope. It's been as it is for decades, but these days it's really got obscene...
Last year they started the leg to Morzine-Avoriaz 200 yards away from my home, but I went to Geneva just because I didn't want to see the whole circus.
The fact is, despite all that has been revealed for years, the number of fans hasn't decreased in Europe. On the contrary, it has risen...
Though he had lied and lied (more than a dentist), Virenque, who was caught on doping a few years ago, got back and then... became even more popular than he was before in France...
This sport is rotten, just as athletics.
Just my opinion.

BigBadBrian
07-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
I'm sorry, but the whole pack is also a pharmaceutical lab. None of them doesn't take dope. It's been as it is for decades, but these days it's really got obscene...
Last year they started the leg to Morzine-Avoriaz 200 yards away from my home, but I went to Geneva just because I didn't want to see the whole circus.
The fact is, despite all that has been revealed for years, the number of fans hasn't decreased in Europe. On the contrary, it has risen...
Though he had lied and lied (more than a dentist), Virenque, who was caught on doping a few years ago, got back and then... became even more popular than he was before in France...
This sport is rotten, just as athletics.
Just my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what they all say.

Lance was just tested again the other day. He was the only one.

He was clean.

:gulp:

Redballjets88
07-03-2005, 09:12 PM
i dont understand why france hates Lance so much...oh wait i do....because he is an american owning them at their own race who woulda thunk it

Jérôme Frenchise
07-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what they all say.

Lance was just tested again the other day. He was the only one.

He was clean.

I didn't mention Armstrong, did I? Simply the whole pack.

Yesterday night, they rebroadcast a program about Jacques Anquetil's career (the 1950s and 1960s biggest). He recognized live on TV at his best that he took dope, and repeated it to the Minister of Sports who was shocked. Anquetil replied: "What do you believe? Do you really think you can "swallow up" all those mountains drinking mineral water?" Anquetil used to go to Switzerland every year to have his blood changed. He died from cancer at the age of 50 or so, in 1987.
Fausto Coppi, the Italian legend and Belgian Eddy Merckx, the next biggest champion who followed Anquetil, then Hinault (the French man who won 5 Tours de France like Anquetil did and once said to a journalist that "you can't participate in the Tour de France and drink clear water only"), all of them were doped as hard as they could. The whole pack behind them were too.

How is Greg Lemond today (by the way, he was a great guy)?
How is Carl Lewis? And the chick who did 10"49 in Seoul in 1988... May she rest in peace...

A negative test does not mean the athlete (I will not deny they are awesome athletes anyway) is not on dope, as everyone knows about additional products that conceal all traces...

Danish Bjarne Riijs, the 1996 winner, had a really abnormal hematocrit rate (undeniable proof that the racer is doped), so did the 1997 winner, German Jan Ulrich, as well as the 1998 champion, Italian Marco Pantani (RIP): they were tested as positive months after their victories... What about the Dutch 1980 winner, Joop Zoetemelk, caught taking unknown pills just after a summit (a picture was taken)...

Do you find it normal that there are so many testicle cancers diagnosed amongst young sportsmen, mainly cyclists? Come on...

Jérôme Frenchise
07-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i dont understand why france hates Lance so much...oh wait i do....because he is an american owning them at their own race who woulda thunk it

You are mistaken. A large majority like or even love him here in France. He's more popular here every year.

BigBadBrian
07-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise

Do you find it normal that there are so many testicle cancers diagnosed amongst young sportsmen, mainly cyclists? Come on...

Ridin' for hours on while squashing your nuts has to have some kind of detriment. I'm a cyclist (recreational and fitness only) and when I get off my bike it feels like I rode a bull. :D

Jérôme Frenchise
07-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Ridin' for hours on while squashing your nuts has to have some kind of detriment. I'm a cyclist (recreational and fitness only) and when I get off my bike it feels like I rode a bull. :D

:D
Ok... Getting your balls kneaded between your thighs and the saddle can possibly drive you nuts...:D
... but also may occur a tumor.:(

Anyway, no matter how you obtain your results, cyclism is a ballsy sport for sure.:cool:

Redballjets88
07-05-2005, 02:54 AM
yeah well lance had ball cnacer and brain cander sooo not too many athletes hangin out with that

sammysucks65
07-06-2005, 10:25 PM
yay america

PELIBUS
07-06-2005, 11:07 PM
The guy's fuckin' good, but he's on dope for sure.
Anquetil was... Mercx, Hinault and Indurain were as well, so I don't believe this one's the exception.
Anyway, unless he falls down and break something he's gonna win it again.

POJO_Risin
07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh for fuck sake...who gives a fuck whether cyclists are doped up or not...

Can someone actually talk about the fucking race...

BigBadBrian
07-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by PELIBUS
The guy's fuckin' good, but he's on dope for sure.
Anquetil was... Mercx, Hinault and Indurain were as well, so I don't believe this one's the exception.
Anyway, unless he falls down and break something he's gonna win it again.

Yeah, no shit. He's a heart/lung machine on wheels. I agree....barring a crash or major injury it should be his again.

I think the cancer thing gave him the mental toughness to make it where others can't. I read a great article about it yesterday. I'll find it and put it up.

Jérôme Frenchise
07-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Oh for fuck sake...who gives a fuck whether cyclists are doped up or not...

Can someone actually talk about the fucking race...

It wouldn't matter that much if all cyclists, their doctors, trainers, officials and pussy journalists recognized there has never been a clean Tour since the second half of the 1940s...
Actually, even local folk races here are largely concerned with doping. Certain family doctors were caught after providing Sunday competitors with doping products...

But your point of view is as defendable, I think, so it's the last time I've interfered, I promise.:cool:

Nickdfresh
07-07-2005, 08:45 PM
It's the TOUR DE LANCE again!

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2005/news/story?id=2102329

POJO_Risin
07-08-2005, 12:02 PM
You know...I've heard it all about how everyone's doped...blah...blah...blah...no offense Jerome...I'm not there...and frankly...we hear it...but not nearly as much as you do because we don't care.

All I know is that Lance has never been caught. No, I'm not naive...I know that there are things that can mask. I know first hand. But, I also know that you can find the masks pretty easily...

I don't know what kind of drug tests that Lance is undertaking...but I'd have to say that it would be a hard damned thing to hide it over and over and over again...

either or...I've always said...innocent until proven guilty...

people from the past are going to try and shadow the future...especially if the future is better than the past...

POJO_Risin
07-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Speaking of the cancer...

what it did...was make lance more lean...he lost a slew of weight...and he became a HEAVY rider...to a light rider...

I think his natural weight is 20 pounds lighter than pre cancer...

of course...the rest of it is certainly true...

BigBadBrian
07-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Here's that article I read:

From MSNBC.com:

COMMENTARY
By Chris Carmichael

Updated: 3:53 p.m. ET July 5, 2005
Lance Armstrong’s teammates would ride through fire for him, not because of money or the jerseys on their backs, but because he’s mastered the art of effective leadership. Great leaders understand the critical role emotion plays in performance, and that getting the most out of your team is a matter of harnessing the power of a positive attitude.

Lance was not always a great leader, and I wouldn’t accuse him of being a “born leader.” When he was young, he was so strong he didn’t necessarily believe he needed help from teammates. He sometimes figured he was so much more powerful that they wouldn’t be able to help him anyway. Lance tried to win a lot of races by himself, without using his teammates, and he often came up short against men he could have otherwise beaten.

Both the natural process of maturity and the excruciating experience of cancer helped Lance learn the importance of teamwork. As strong as he was as a 25-year-old professional athlete, he couldn’t have defeated cancer by himself. It took a team of professionals, with a wide range of expertise, to win that battle. When he returned to the European peloton in 1998 and started preparing for a run at the 1999 Tour de France, he realized the other eight men on the team needed to be more than just supporters, they needed to be assets.

Building a better team
When it comes to recruiting riders, Lance and Discovery Channel director Johan Bruyneel look for the whole package. It’s important for the rider to have the engine and racing skill to compete at the top level of international competition, but that’s not enough. There are a lot of riders who have the necessary athletic prowess, but have attitudes and personalities that are incompatible with the team.

Professional cyclists spend an enormous amount of time together, including weeks traveling in packed team buses, cars and small hotel rooms. Small personality conflicts can develop into full-blown fissures over the course of a short stage race, and that’s the scenario Lance seeks to avoid.

When there is discord in a team, it’s nearly impossible to race effectively as a unit. The intensity of competition amplifies even the smallest personal conflict, and clouds a rider’s judgment during the split-second decisions so critical to success in races. The situation gets even worse as the races get more difficult. It’s always at the hardest moment, when a rider is at his limit, that emotions take over. If they’re the wrong emotions, the team implodes; but if they’re the right ones, you get performances that become legendary.

Inspiring greatness
All the money in the world can’t buy you a team as strong as the Discovery Channel, because you can’t build a stronger team unless you can find a leader more inspiring than Lance Armstrong. To the outside world, Lance is an inspiration because he’s a cancer survivor and a great athlete. Yet, there’s an additional aspect to Lance that earns him the unending loyalty of his teammates. They know that when push comes to shove, when the pressure is entirely on his shoulders, their leader will turn himself inside out to win the race.

If there’s a lesson you can take from Lance’s leadership style, it is that you can only count on getting 100 percent from your team if they can count on getting the same from you. At the Tour de France, Lance’s teammates are there to bury themselves for three weeks so he can ride into Paris wearing the yellow jersey. It would be easy for them to keep just 1 percent of their effort in reserve, just in case there was an opportunity to get a stage win for themselves, but they don’t. They give every ounce of their strength because they see Lance right after the hardest mountain stages and time trials. They see the drawn face and sunken eyes that only come from extreme exertion, and they know he put himself through hell to live up to their efforts getting him into position to win.

Leadership on the grand scale
Lance understands the impact his attitude has on the environment around him, and he uses that impact to create another advantage for his team. Beyond the eight guys in the race with him, there is an entire support staff of mechanics, physical therapists and drivers working behind the scenes to keep the team running optimally. These people do their jobs better when their team leader is riding well, and even if he’s not, they’ll still do their jobs better if he maintains a positive attitude. When the team leader is in the dumps, the whole organization suffers, and that makes it even harder to get back to delivering strong performances.

Thus far in the 2005 Tour de France, Lance has been floating on the pedals. He keeps telling me that his legs have never felt better — and the quiet confidence he exudes has permeated the entire team. Nobody’s feeling any pain because they know they’re riding for a man who’s already been through the fire and who came back to do it again, with them.

Link (http://forums.bicycling.com/thread.jspa?threadID=131828&tstart=45)

POJO_Risin
07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
That's a great fucking article...

it will be interesting to see what happens to the Discovery team when he leaves...if they sign another big name...or...let Hincape take over as the leader...

Nickdfresh
07-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I hear another AMERICAN rider (HINCAPPIE maybe?) may be poised to take over the sport once LANCE hangs up his cycling shoes. LANCE's real competition over the years has fell by the wayside, mostly though self-destruction and implosion. Whatever happened to ALEX ZULLE and that GERMAN guy ULLRICH?

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/TDF16507081800.jpeg
A French gendarme, center, and two German policemen, joke as they cross the finish line of the seventh stage of the Tour de France cycling race, prior to the arrival of riders, Friday, July 8, 2005 in Karlruhe, Germany. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

July 8, 2005

ESPN Tour Page (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2005/index#)

POJO_Risin
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
We'll see about Hincape...

Ulrich is still around...not sure who the fuck Zulle even is...

Nickdfresh
07-08-2005, 05:30 PM
We'll see about Hincape...

Ulrich is still around...not sure who the fuck Zulle even is...

ZULLE was a SWISS rider was a runner up to both Indurain and Armstrong in the late 90's. He was supposed to have been the next big thing. Jan Ullrich was supposed to have been more powerful than ARMSTRONG, that was until Armstrong showed he could climb like a jet.

POJO_Risin
07-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I know who Ulrich is...he finished 3 times in 2nd...

BigBadBrian
07-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Jan Ullrich said winning the Tour was nothing if Lance Armstrong was not there. Lance said this year was his last year to try. :D

POJO_Risin
07-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Was Zulle the guy that Armstrong let win a stage a year after being banned...

that pissed the guy he let win so much?

or was it another guy?

BigBadBrian
07-09-2005, 10:43 AM
143 miles today....second longest of the tour.

5 miles to go. Nothing happening. :o

POJO_Risin
07-10-2005, 02:17 PM
A moderately big day today...

Armstrong after yesterdays race essentially hammered his team for leaving him to make the climbs by himself...

So Lance took the day off today...

he finished 28th and relinquised the yellow jersey...probably on purpose...no doubt on purpose...getting ready for the big climbs...

He's 2 minutes behind a no-name...right now...and a minute I think behind another guy...

the other favorites are nowhere to be seen right now...

I think Bobby Julich is close by though...5th or 6th...

POJO_Risin
07-10-2005, 02:29 PM
The American that led the first few days dropped out of the race today as well...

ALinChainz
07-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Armstrong after yesterdays race essentially hammered his team for leaving him to make the climbs by himself...

he finished 28th and relinquised the yellow jersey...probably on purpose...no doubt on purpose...getting ready for the big climbs...

He's 2 minutes behind a no-name...right now...and a minute I think behind another guy...

On purpose I would say too.

Means the first place team has to ride together out front in the Alps and all the pressure is one them.

Jérôme Frenchise
07-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Yeah, probably, on purpose...:D Just kidding!

Next stage will start from Grenoble (to Courchevel), then on the day after Briançon, then Digne-les-Bains, ah, the Alps... Then the Pyrénées...
Most of the time the winner is like "known" when they leave the Alps...

We've had a chilly weather (for the season) for the past eight days (between 15 and 24°C max, after a good couple of hot weeks (nearly 40°C on several days).
I only wish them sincerely it won't start again...

Anyway, I won't see them ride because I'll be one of my ex-girlfriends's witness at her wedding next Saturday, so I'll stay up north for a few weeks.

Then, even though it may be too early, I'd rather wish you a happy B-day now, Mister POJO! And cheers! :gulp:

BigBadBrian
07-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Lance powers back into the lead....

Ullrich is over 4 minutes back. Lance killed him in the mountains today. ;)

The Top Ten:

1. Lance Armstrong (USA/DIS) 37h11min 04sec
2. Michael Rasmussen (DEN/RAB) at 0:38
3. Ivan Basso (ITA/CSC) 2:40
4. Christophe Moreau (FRA/C.A) 2:42
5. Alejandro Valverde (SPA/BAL) 3:16
6. Levi Leipheimer (USA/GRL) 3:58
7. Francisco Mancebo (SPA/BAL) 4:00
8. Jan Ullrich (GER/MOB) 4:02
9. Andreas Kloden (GER/MOB) 4:16
10. Floyd Landis (USA/PHO) 4:16

Nickdfresh
07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Armstrong Shows Strength in French Alps
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:50 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By JEROME PUGMIRE

COURCHEVEL, France (AP) — Lance Armstrong looked to continue his dominance over rivals on Wednesday's 11th stage of the Tour de France, which took riders on another strenuous ascent into the Alps.

Six-time Tour champion Armstrong crushed his rivals in Tuesday's 10th stage, opening up huge time gaps on those wishing to upstage his bid for a seventh straight win.

Wednesday's 173-kilometer (107.5-mile) trek from Courchevel to Briancon featured three mammoth climbs, including the famed Col de la Madeleine and the Col du Galibier.

Armstrong beat Alexandre Vinokourov, Jan Ullrich and Andreas Kloeden on Tuesday, placing second narrowly behind Spanish rider Alejandro Valverde, who won the 177.5-kilometer (110.3-mile) trek up to the ski resort of Courchevel in a sprint to the line.

Armstrong sees Valverde as the "future of cycling" — which considering the American is retiring at the end of this year's race means he does not consider him a threat.

Those he does consider a threat could already be out of the running.

Vinokourov is 6 minutes, 32 seconds adrift of Armstrong, Ullrich is 4:02 down and Kloeden 4:16 behind. Italian Ivan Basso, third on last year's Tour, limited the damage to 2:40.

"I don't think they're finished. I suspect they had a bad day today," Armstrong said. "I'm the last person to write them off. They may have lost some time, but we will continue to watch them and respect them."

How they will catch Armstrong is another matter. The American is showing no signs of surrendering the yellow jersey before the race finishes on July 24.

"We are in a good position with regard to some of the main rivals," Armstrong said. "So we'll have to protect that and that might mean protecting the jersey, and hopefully retiring in it."

Armstrong and Valverde covered the climb in 4 hours, 50 minutes, 35 seconds. After Armstrong forged ahead about 450 meters from the finish, he looked favorite to win. But Valverde countered, catching and passing the Texan almost at the line.

"I gave everything I had," Armstrong said. "I attacked and couldn't go any harder. I wanted the stage win because I haven't won a race yet this year. I'm trying."

Because of a protest at the start by farmers angry over wolf attacks on their sheep and cows, organizers shortened the race by 15 kilometers (9.3 miles), beginning it after the town of Froges, near the city of Grenoble.

Mickael Rasmussen crossed the finish line third and Spain's Francisco Mancebo was fourth, both 9 seconds back. Along with Valverde, they were the only riders who managed to stay with Armstrong on the final ascent.

Overall, Armstrong leads Rasmussen by 38 seconds. While he does not regard himself as a challenger to Armstrong, the Dane has shown himself enough of a threat on climbs — he won the ninth stage with a gutsy solo ride over six ascents — to warrant Armstrong's attention.

"He's a damn good climber and we have to watch him now," Armstrong said.

Ullrich, the 1997 winner and a five-time runner-up, dropped behind about halfway up the climb.

Perhaps feeling the effects of a crash of his own in the ninth stage, Ullrich struggled to the finish line in 13th place, 2:14 back.

The biggest surprise was the collapse of Vinokourov, another Ullrich T-Mobile teammate from Kazakhstan who had been expected to seriously challenge Armstrong but who trailed Tuesday by 5:18 in 24th place.
http://web.adelphia.net/api/hangar.php/c21hcnRjcm9wOjIyMDoyNTAscmVzaXplOjIyMDoyNTA=/http://newsimages.adelphia.net/ap_photos//TDF18007121811.jpeg
At the Dauphine Libere race last month, "Vino" had beaten Armstrong by 37 seconds up the Mont Ventoux ascent — making Tuesday's collapse even more remarkable.

Polk High
07-14-2005, 08:02 AM
let me know when lance wins again so the french can lose again

Polk High
07-14-2005, 08:02 AM
i love it that we dominate a sport that is held in france, it must make them so mad

BigBadBrian
07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Lance opens up his lead to 1:41....
From Bicycling.com:
On today’s 14th stage, Armstrong rebounded from early attacks and the loss of his teammates to an almost perfect finish, taking second on the stage behind only Georg Totschnig of Gerolsteiner, the lone survivor of a marathon breakaway that went up the road just 10 kilometers into the day’s 220.5-kilometer ride from Agde to the mountaintop finish of Ax-3 Domaines. In so doing, Armstrong gained time on every one of his rivals for the overall Tour title and sent a message: Either alone or with teammates, he appears all but impossible to beat.
Link (http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,5976,s1-12681-661,00.html)

POJO_Risin
07-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Interesting...TMobile went on attack...and essentially wiped out all of Team Discovery....except Lance...for the last two ascents...

and...

Lance crushed the team by himself...

The worry though is that today's race...well...tomorrow's...is harder...and without the team protecting him this year...can he hold off a couple of teams that MAY be more rested...

BigBadBrian
07-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, but I think Discovery is going to have its shit together tomorrow.

Lance will probably lay down the law...

We'll see.....

BigBadBrian
07-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Those fans always get too damned close. One finally gets a little too close. :D

http://www.bicycling.com/images/cma/stage15_fans.jpg
A fan was hit by a television crew on a motorcycle as they chased after leaders George Hincapie (Discovery Channel/USA) Oscar Pereiro (Phonak/Swi) on the final climb of stage 15.

George Hincapie (Discovery Channel/USA) won the stage.

BigBadBrian
07-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Rest Day today.

Tiger Roth
07-21-2005, 02:49 AM
Great to see a thread on the Tour De France (although I'm a bit late).

Boring flat day today. Vinokourov finally pulled his finger out and made an attack that actually worked (he must be the dumbest rider out there and T Mobile - the dumbest team).

Glad to see Armstrong has kicked butt the whole tour.

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 07:02 PM
They had an interesting package on ABC News. They stated that ARMSTRONG was born with a heart 10% larger than that of the average infant. Through his aerobic training, his heart is now 30% larger than the average man's of a comparable height and weight.

He's estimated to have the heart of a man over seven feet tall.

Tiger Roth
07-22-2005, 12:17 AM
I'd be ineterested to know how they actually knew the size of his heart at birth. Surely they don't measure your heart size at birth, do they?

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Roth
I'd be ineterested to know how they actually knew the size of his heart at birth. Surely they don't measure your heart size at birth, do they?

I can't find a link to the story, but it must be based on projections of some kind. I believe it was stated that ARMSTRONG's heart was genetically bigger, even before he began to train.

It was said if ARMSTRONG had never really worked out, and maintained a good body weight, it would still take the average man several years of hard cardio training match him prior to his doing any excercise of any knid.

POJO_Risin
07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
I saw that today...

and there was more to it than that...something about the amount of oxygen that you can transfer to physical exertion...his heart does it with 25% more exertion...

I saw that...

you know...I bet he could win this thing for a few more years...

BigBadBrian
07-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Rasmussen is having one shitty day today...a crash and now a tire malfunction. Life is sucking for him. He'll lose third place to Ullrich because of it.

Basso is kicking ass and taking names...

Armstrong and Ullrich are both looking strong in early stages of their Individual Time Trials today.

To be continued.....maybe.... ;)

BigBadBrian
07-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Rasmussen crashed again....he's sucking BIG TIME. Not to mention choking.

BigBadBrian
07-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Lance is 32 seconds ahead of Ullrich at the 40km mark with 15 to go.

BigBadBrian
07-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Lance is 32 seconds ahead of Ullrich at the 40km mark with 15 to go.

Lance wins the time trial (Stage 20) and the Tour. Tomorrow's stage is just a formality.

:cool:

POJO_Risin
07-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Armstrong wins seventh straight Tour de France
July 24, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

PARIS -- Lance Armstrong closed out his amazing career with a seventh consecutive Tour de France victory Sunday -- and did it a little earlier than expected.

Because of wet conditions, race organizers stopped the clock as Armstrong and the main pack entered Paris. Although riders were still racing, with eight laps of the Champs-Elysees to complete, organizers said that Armstrong had officially won.

The stage started as it has done for the past six years -- with Armstrong celebrating and wearing the race leader's yellow jersey.

One hand on his handlebars, the other holding a flute of champagne, Armstrong toasted his teammates as he pedaled into Paris to collect his crown. He held up seven fingers -- one for each win -- and a piece of paper with the number 7 on it.

But Armstrong's last ride as a professional -- the closing 89.8-mile 21st stage into Paris from Corbeil-Essonnes south of the capital -- was not without incident in the rain.

Three of his teammates slipped and crashed coming around a bend just before they crossed the River Seine. Armstrong, right behind them, braked and skidded into the fallen riders.

Armstrong used his right foot to steady himself, and was able to stay on the bike.

His teammates, wearing special shirts with a band of yellow on right shoulder, recovered and led him up the Champs-Elysees at the front of the pack.

Organizers then announced that they had stopped the clock because of the slippery conditions.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

POJO_Risin
07-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Congrats to Lance...one of the greatest athletes in US History...

ALinChainz
07-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Wqas watching PTI the other day.

Kornheiser is on vacation, and Jay Mariotti is filling in.

At the end of the show, "Stat Boy" Tony Reali comes out and points out the mistakes made. Mariotti had mention Lance had won 7 Tours, when this one wasn't over, and though he'll win, it was still at 6.

I emailed the show when Reali didn't point that out and he replied with a "it will be 7, live with it, it's over" retort.

I laughed and just replied, "whatever, love the show".

POJO_Risin
07-24-2005, 12:35 PM
lmfao...they must hate it when we know more than them...

which is most always...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
I emailed the show when Reali didn't point that out and he replied with a "it will be 7, live with it, it's over" retort.

Just another inflated TV ego....

Tiger Roth
07-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Well done to Lance.

I heard today that they're talking of making a movie about Lances life. Matt Damon is keen to play Lance.

Fairwrning
07-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Watching "around the horn" and just heard a great comment by Bill Plaschke..."Armstrong won the tour and didn't beat his chest and point to the sky"...
really makes you realize what hotdogs most pro athletes are...

POJO_Risin
07-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I have to tell you...I'm more impressed with the guy daily...

that 10/2 commercial is something...I remember reading an article when he actually had cancer...and the article essentially saying he was going to die...

followed by 7 fucking tours in a row...

talk about the ultimate fuck you...

POJO_Risin
07-25-2005, 11:44 PM
And the guy is going to quit cycling at the top of his game for a horrible reason...

to be with his kids...

he was saying how if he was french...and his kids lived in france...8 or 9 would be a great number...but he doesn't...and they don't...so he won't...

you have to think his ex-wife left him because of it...it's funny how that isn't ever brought up...but you have to wonder about the dynamics...I mean...she stuck by him through the cancer...had his kids...after the fact...

Lance Armstrong is unreal...

Tiger Roth
07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Have you read Armstrongs book "Every Second Counts"?

He's very cautious about what he says about his wife. Full of praise for her, even though they were well and truly broken up. Sheryl Crow barely got a mention.

I'd think that Lance wouldn't be the easiest person to live with - very intense type personality.

Seshmeister
08-24-2005, 07:44 AM
http://www.heady.co.uk/b3ta/larm.jpg