PDA

View Full Version : US delight as Iraqi rebels turn their guns on al-Qa'eda

BigBadBrian
07-04-2005, 09:04 AM
US delight as Iraqi rebels turn their guns on al-Qa'eda
By Oliver Poole in Qaim
(Filed: 04/07/2005)

American troops on the Syrian border are enjoying a battle they have long waited to see - a clash between foreign al-Qa'eda fighters and Iraqi insurgents.

Tribal leaders in Husaybah are attacking followers of Abu Musab Zarqawi, the Jordanian-born terrorist who established the town as an entry point for al-Qa'eda jihadists being smuggled into the country.

The reason, the US military believes, is frustration at the heavy-handed approach of the foreigners, who have kidnapped and assassinated local leaders and imposed a strict Islamic code.

Fighting, which could be clearly heard at night over the weekend, first broke out in May when as many as 50 mortar rounds were fired across the city. But, to the surprise of the American garrison, this time it was not the target.

If a shell landed near the US base, "they'd adjust their fire and not shoot at us", Lt Col Tim Mundy said. "They shot at each other."

The trigger was the assassination of a tribal sheikh, from the Sulaiman tribe, ordered by Zarqawi for inviting senior US marines for lunch. American troops gained an insight into the measures the jihadists had imposed during recent house-to-house searches in nearby towns and villages.

Shops selling music and satellite dishes had been closed. Women were ordered to wear all-enveloping clothing and men forbidden from wearing western clothes.

Anyone considered to be aiding coalition forces was being killed or kidnapped. That included those with links to the government - seen as a US puppet - such as water or electricity officials. As a result local services had collapsed.

Captain Thomas Sibley, intelligence officer of 3rd battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, based in Qaim, said: "People here were committed supporters of the insurgency but you cannot now even get a marriage licence.

"The tribes are the only system or organisation left and they appear to have stepped in.

"In the last week our camp in the town was attacked and the attackers got ambushed on the way back by two machineguns and mortar fire. That is good news for us."

Baghdad recently warned that Iraqi insurgents, many of them nationalists rather than Islamists, and al-Qa'eda cells were working more closely together than in the past. That was brought into doubt when the bodies of three foreigners, believed to be insurgents, were discovered in Ramadi, apparently killed by Iraqis.

But the extent of the jihadist presence in Hasaybah - and therefore the subsequent tension - is unique.

Foreign fighters first started to arrive two years ago after Zarqawi bought properties to use as safe houses for arrivals before they could be funnelled east towards Baghdad and other major cities.

The police fled in November. In mid-June, al-Qa'eda units took over key buildings, including mosques and government offices. "Al-Qa'eda in Iraq" flags were raised.

The city, 240 miles north-west of Baghdad and adjacent to the insurgent centre of Qaim, is so dangerous that soldiers in the US base sleep in bunkers because of mortar and rocket attacks.

Following al-Qa'eda's seizure of the main buildings a number of residents fled. Arkan Salim, 56, who left with his wife and four children, said: "We thought they were patriotic. Now we discovered that they are sick and crazy.

"They interfered in everything, even how we raise our children. They turned the city into hell, and we cannot live in it anymore."

Link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/04/wirq04.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/07/04/ixworld.html)

ODShowtime
07-04-2005, 10:19 AM
it's like "Jesus Christ, can you let the people have water and electricity already?"

FORD
07-04-2005, 11:37 AM
But I thought the Iraqi rebels WERE "Al Qaeda"?? :confused:

At least that's what Junior said last week.

Big Train
07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
It shows progress. Eventually for this to work, there have to be normal iraquis to fight these fucking lunatics. Obviously, once it reaches a point on insanity like that, where they are doing what libs have accused the army of "Losing the hearts and minds", then there is an opportunity for us to actually make progress.

LoungeMachine
07-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
It shows progress. Eventually for this to work, there have to be normal iraquis to fight these fucking lunatics. Obviously, once it reaches a point on insanity like that, where they are doing what libs have accused the army of "Losing the hearts and minds", then there is an opportunity for us to actually make progress.

Translation please :confused:

I thought I spoke pretty fluent Neo-con Spinspeak, but even this eludes me.

:rolleyes:

Big Train
07-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Thought that was pretty straightahead Lounge, but I'll dumb it down for you if I can :)

As the citizens of Iraq are now being invaded by Muslim extremists from other countries, we are not the worst thing on the block anymore.

THEREFORE, there is an opportunity to become allied with the people of Iraq and make inroads with them. THis may hasten the development of their country to stand on it's own. What we set out to do. This may make it faster, which sends our boys home faster.

LoungeMachine
07-04-2005, 01:21 PM

As the citizens of Iraq are now being invaded by Muslim extremists from other countries, we are not the worst thing on the block anymore.

Wow.

Now that's some accomplishment:rolleyes:

Not the worst thing on the block, anymore.

Talk about setting the bar low. "Yeah, we fucked things up.......but look at THOSE guys......"

This "war" was a self-fulfilling Prophesy. We said Iraq was a danger to us, and a supporter of "terror". And just look at it now.

AMERICA = WE'RE NOT THE WORST THING ON THE BLOCK ANYMORE

Where can I order the bumper sticker, BT ?

jeezus h. christ

LoungeMachine
07-04-2005, 01:25 PM

THEREFORE, there is an opportunity to become allied with the people of Iraq and make inroads with them.

Gee, I thought "liberating them from Sadaam" and bringing "democracy" would have been an "inroad" enough:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BECOME ALLIED ?????????

AN OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME ALLIED?????

WE NEED A FUCKING INROAD AT THIS POINT??????

Fuck this is pathetic. Has it really come to this?

Big Train
07-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Man, you hit all your lib marks today Lounge. I'm impressed.

Even if I gave you all your points, which I don't, can't even YOU see through lib eyes that it is an opportunity?

Yes, bumpstickers, T-Shirts and Hats are on their way to ironic hipster locales in berkley, cambridge and manhattan as we speak...

LoungeMachine
07-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Man, you hit all your lib marks today Lounge. I'm impressed.

Even if I gave you all your points, which I don't, can't even YOU see through lib eyes that it is an opportunity?

Yes, bumpstickers, T-Shirts and Hats are on their way to ironic hipster locales in berkley, cambridge and manhattan as we speak...

Yes, I've seen MULTIPLE opportunitites to turn this clusterfuck around.

And EVERYTIME I see them, all we get is Rummy/Cheney/ and The CHIMP telling us how swell things are going:rolleyes:

We can't even come out and admit we're negotiating with these "terrorists" now.

We both want the same thing, BT Peace, and our men and women home in one piece.

My side just wants this administration held ACCOUNTABLE for their many fuck ups, lies, and manipulations along the way.

Save me a bumper sticker, will ya?:cool:

Big Train
07-05-2005, 02:20 AM
I'd agree our goals are the same, as they always have been, I just don't agree that it was there fuck-ups in all instances. Which is why you could see me as a "neocon shitbag".

Don't know if I can save you any, Honda Prius now come standard with that bumpersticker as well as Kerry 04'. The t-shirt is so popular liberal colleges are going against their own teaching, DEMANDING it be a school uniform. The LA TImes will be doing a month long piece on all of my new fall line...they don't have much else to report on.

FORD
07-05-2005, 04:40 AM
Honda doesn't make the Prius. Toyota does.

And I say this as an evrionment loving Liberal who happens to be 6'6" and not fitting in hybrid cars all that well, unfortunately :(

Nickdfresh
07-05-2005, 11:34 AM
We need to talk to these SUNNI nationalist resistance groups and to foster a further divide between them and the Foreign terrorists. Negotiations and power sharing, along with a US withdrawl, is the only way out of this fucking mess created by Neo Cons.