View Full Version : How To Kill Americans: Iraq Training Ground

Nickdfresh
07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Officials, studies find Iraq is top terror-training ground
By WARREN P. STROBEL
Knight Ridder Newspapers
7/5/2005
http://manager.albawaba.com/img/new_sys/mediabank/3494_mb_file_d3856.gif
WASHINGTON - Iraq has replaced Afghanistan as the prime training ground for foreign terrorists who could travel elsewhere across the globe and wreak havoc, according to U.S. counterterrorism officials and classified studies by the CIA and the State Department.

Of particular concern, the officials and studies say, are the urban combat techniques being learned and used by foreign fighters assaulting U.S. and Iraqi troops. There's already evidence that those tactics are being replicated elsewhere.

Marine Corps Lt. Gen. James T. Conway told a Pentagon briefing last week that remotely detonated bombs known as improvised explosive devices, or IEDs - the insurgents' weapon of choice in Iraq - are an increasing threat to U.S. forces trying to stabilize Afghanistan.

The trend is "a little bit troubling," Conway said.

Iraq's emergence as a terrorist training ground appears to challenge President Bush's rationale for invading and overthrowing leader Saddam Hussein in March 2003.

Really? You don't say!

"To complete the mission, we will prevent al-Qaida and other foreign terrorists from turning Iraq into what Afghanistan was under the Taliban, a safe haven from which they could launch attacks on America and our friends," the president said in a nationally televised address last Tuesday.

But Iraq wasn't a source of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism under Saddam and played no role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Critics argue that the U.S. invasion harmed, rather than helped, the war on terror by acting as a magnet and recruiting tool.

"Arguably, it's created new problems that we're going to be dealing with for a long time," said Steven Simon, a senior analyst at RAND Corp. who served at the National Security Council under former President Bill Clinton.

Foreign fighters' growing experience with IEDs, in particular, "is a real problem if you think these guys are going to wind up in the streets of Europe and the Middle East, or even the United States at some point," Simon said.

So, what was the idiot saying about "fighting them over there?"

The classified CIA and State Department assessments were completed in May and deal with what intelligence analysts are calling "bleed out" or "terrorist dispersal" from Iraq to surrounding countries.

The officials who described them did so on condition of anonymity because intelligence matters are involved.

The studies compare Iraq to Afghanistan in the 1980s, when the Soviet invasion drew Muslim fighters known as mujahedeen from around the world. After the Soviet defeat, many of them, including Osama bin Laden, built terrorist networks or fought for Islamic causes outside Afghanistan.

Foreign fighters make up only a fraction of the Iraqi insurgency, perhaps as little as 5 percent. Many are killed or captured, but their numbers are replenished by fresh recruits, who often transit via Syria.

U.S. ally Saudi Arabia is a prime potential destination for experienced fighters returning from Iraq, the study by the State Department's Intelligence and Research bureau concludes, according to officials familiar with its contents.

Yemen is another likely destination.

Saudi citizens are thought to make up the largest contingent of foreign fighters in Iraq, and the Saudi royal family has expressed alarm to the U.S. government over the prospect of battle-scarred militants returning to the oil-rich kingdom.

Other insurgents are believed to come from Syria, Jordan, Yemen, Egypt and elsewhere in North Africa.

Link (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050705/1051109.asp)

Nickdfresh
07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Truth as a victim of war

Administration needs to be more honest with American people about Iraq fighting

7/5/2005

Summer slid across the lake the other night, bringing with it tropical heat just as thousands of local 18-year-olds morphed from high school students to college freshmen, full-time workers or military volunteers.

A handful of them left home to cross New York to West Point, moving 350 miles and a world away. The local plebes - who two months earlier worried about prom dresses and whether to Super Size it - traded those trite decisions for one of our most stalwart institutions and its unequivocal creed: A cadet does not "lie, cheat or steal; nor tolerate those who do."

It's tempting, in the mind-numbing images of television and newspaper pictures, to see Iraq as losing relevance, detached from events at either end of New York State. The death numbers flow by on the cable screen day after day. Numbers, as Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said vaguely, can be vague. "That insurgency could go on for any number of years. Insurgencies tend to go on five, six, eight, 10, 12 years," said the cavalier defense secretary.

Rumsfeld's arithmetic may be correct, but each year so flippantly ticked off represents another class of young officers sprung from West Point. How many young lieutenants will be asked by their commanders to tolerate their leaders' disingenuous reports of what's going on in Iraq?

Young officers just like them balked 30 years ago at the foolishness of Vietnam, and by some accounts this generation of young officers are objecting as well. President George H.W. Bush, along with Gen. Colin Powell, grasped and applied Vietnam's lessons in Kuwait: Use overwhelming force to achieve clear objectives and then come home. This President Bush has not learned that lesson.

The costs, in lives, dollars and untold future ramifications, mount. According to the Los Angeles Times, military academy applications fell precipitously last spring as did recruits signing up, especially for the Army.

Bush, understandably, refused last week to give the enemy in Iraq an exit date. Setting a deadline would not help troops fighting there. But what he and Rumsfeld fail to grasp is that the American people, not them, will set the date for withdrawal.

Lucian K. Truscott IV, scion of generals and leftist-leaning expert on West Point, recently wrote that some Army first lieutenants, officers who graduated from West Point to lead squads on the ground in Iraq, are fed up. Men and women who would be colonels and generals 30 years after this war will instead be executives, software engineers and teachers. They want out.

This war, planned and executed at the highest levels by those who should know better, is causing untold damage to our armed forces and to the people who serve in them.

Show Americans a wrong, a threat to them and their families, and lines form at recruitment centers. This administration, its excesses exemplified so well by Rumsfeld's arrogance, will shortly learn that Americans won't long support a war going nowhere while their children die or lose limbs.

Perhaps before our children who left for West Point's Beast Barracks graduate in four years, the American people will say enough. Perhaps before Western New York's cadets form the Long Gray Line on a sunny May day high above the Hudson River in 2009, the officers running this war will tell the president what they know in their hearts, and are duty-bound by their honor code to tell: the truth.

Link (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050705/1072601.asp)

Phil theStalker
07-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Truth as a victim of war

Administration needs to be more honest with American people about Iraq fightingSummer slid across the lake the other night...
Nick, these are t2wo good posts. It's true about earning trust. You and I are not new kids on the block. We don't just trust in the man with the lollipop. Either these posts are very good lollipops or you're earning my trust.

The truth cannot be denied.

=PtS=
:spank:

BigBadBrian
07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't mind reading the articles you post Nick, but I don't need your own highlighted text or self-imposed commentary.

Article rejected on the forementioned grounds.

FORD, close her up.

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
President Fuckstump. I like that. ;)

Nickdfresh
07-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I don't mind reading the articles you post Nick, but I don't need your own highlighted text or self-imposed commentary.

Article rejected on the forementioned grounds.

FORD, close her up.

:gulp:

Then go to the link and read the unhighlighted version. I just want to avoid the usual cut and paste humdrum, like the COULTER and NORTH rubbish you often post.

Warham
07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
I like the unedited version.

We already know what your opinions are on Iraq and the war effort.

Nickdfresh
07-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
President Fuckstump. I like that. ;)

I was trying to reach out across the partisan divide.

Nickdfresh
07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I like the unedited version.

We already know what your opinions are on Iraq and the war effort.

GEEZUS, I inserted two lines and clearly italicized them. I don't think it was my comments that you guys find do troubling.

Warham
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
:) I'm just giving you shit today.

ODShowtime
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
So, what was the idiot saying about "fighting them over there?"

There are TONS of idiots saying that!

thome
07-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Bring them over here if you prefer.
I will personally FORCE"them" to rethink there position on everything.