PDA

View Full Version : Live 8 - A total success

Seshmeister
07-06-2005, 11:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4648051.stm

Increased record sales for Live 8 performers, compared with sales last Sunday, were good news for "iconic acts" including Pink Floyd, according to HMV's Gennaro Castaldo.

"Even allowing for the relative nature of this exercise, where back catalogue sales of the more established acts are being measured from a fairly low base, this snapshot shows that Live 8 is having a marked effect on sales - just like its predecessor 20 years ago," he said.

Mr Castaldo added that the effect would become more pronounced during this week

LIVE 8 STARS' ALBUMS BOOST

1 Pink Floyd - Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd - 1343%
2 The Who - Then and Now - 863%
3 Annie Lennox - Eurythmics Greatest Hits - 500%
4 Dido - Life For Rent - 412%
5 Razorlight - Up All Night - 335%
6 Robbie Williams - Greatest Hits - 320%
7 Joss Stone - Mind, Body and Soul - 309%
8 Sting - The Very Best of Sting & The Police - 300%
9 Travis - Singles - 268%
10 Madonna - Immaculate Collection - 200%

Source: HMV

Now could we please stop applauding these people for 'giving up their time' and recognise what these events actually are about for most of the artists.

fe_lung
07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Well, maybe it's a bit of both... Certainly the exposure is good for them. However, at least in some cases , I think it's hard to doubt the commitment to their cause either. I mean, guys like Bono and Sting put an awful lot of time and energy into this stuff even when there are no cameras around...

BigBadBrian
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
WTF is live 8?

j/k

Actually, who gives a fuck.

:gulp:

FORD
07-06-2005, 12:16 PM
The Pink Floyd sales might be due to the fact that the teenagers watching Live 8 never heard of them before. They certainly wouldn't have seen them live anywhere. Even Gilmour's Fake Floyd stopped touring a decade ago

Now on the other hand, I wonder how many copies of the original "Live Aid" DVD are sold this week. The fact that Best Buy has the set for $19.99 should help. Great deal for 4 discs of live music (even though some of it is admittedly crap)

Kicking this over to House of Music BTW

Matt White
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
3 million people watch LIVE 8 Saturday night in the states......more stayed up late to watch NASCAR.
Didn't like the majority of the "musical acts".

I didn't watch a minute of it.

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Now could we please stop applauding these people for 'giving up their time' and recognise what these events actually are about for most of the artists.

lol...not too wrong...

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2005, 01:39 PM
i only caught a lil bit of live 8

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I've seen a lot on AOL and must say that the US line up with all that "yo yo"-hip hop-shit made me sick...the UK show was by far the best one...

Seshmeister
07-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
3 million people watch LIVE 8 Saturday night in the states......more stayed up late to watch NASCAR.
Didn't like the majority of the "musical acts".

I didn't watch a minute of it.

It got about 8 million in the UK.

Not me- I got a GOLD PASS and was in the pub for 9 hours!!!:D

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
I've seen a lot on AOL and must say that the US line up with all that "yo yo"-hip hop-shit made me sick...the UK show was by far the best one...

who was at the US show?

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Sammy's Bitch
who was at the US show?

don't know these acts...take a look at the setlists...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2005, 01:53 PM
who was at the US show?

Def Leppard
Stevie Wonder (How fat is he now?)
Bon Jovi (Seriously, he was lucky he wasn't shot)
Will Smith
Black Eyed Peas
Jay-Z
Linkin' Park

These are the only ones I remember the names of, the rest was all Hip hop and rap. SUCKED MAJOR AAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
atleast Def Leppard and Bon Jovi were there

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
atleast Def Leppard and Bon Jovi were there

makes me as happy as if stryper and poison were there...

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

why?

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM

umm was that serious or sarcastic???

Matt White
07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Def Leppard
Stevie Wonder (How fat is he now?)
Will Smith
Black Eyed Peas
Jay-Z
Linkin' Park

These are the only ones I remember the names of, the rest was all Hip hop and rap. SUCKED MAJOR AAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Shaun....STEVIE WONDER has more talent in his left pinky toe than the rest of the people on that list, combined.....X 1000!!!

You're right though! Somebody needs to get that cat on a diet....quickly!

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
umm was that serious or sarcastic???

you guess... ;)

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
you guess... ;)

lol ok well hmmmm. serious???

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Shaun....STEVIE WONDER has more talent in his left pinky toe than the rest of the people on that list, combined.....X 1000!!!

You're right though! Somebody needs to get that cat on a diet....quickly!

I totally agree, he was really the only person worth bothering about...Def Leppard to an extent, but they didn't play any of their early stuff, so no.

Stevie did some great songs at Motown. One of my personal favourites

"Baby, everything is alright
Uptight, out of sight"

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
why?

Because...

JBJ is a big-headed motherfucker, and is the ONLY person in the world worse than Hagar. He thinks he's in "a man's band, a real rock 'n' roll band", but, in actual fact, I have only met one male Bon Jovi fan in my life, and I don't even know, he was a friend of a friend, and even he is Welsh. He thinks he writes hard rock numbers, but there is nothing remotely rock 'n' roll about him, his band, or the music he plays. And, of course, lets not forget the whole Skid Row thing (JBJ discovered them, and then when they became successful, he miraculously found something to fall out with them over-I would say that was jealousy-because at least Skid Row wrote rock 'n' roll songs). In the UK, if you ask ANY biker if the are a Bon Jovi fan, they will punch you in the Godamn Motherfucking Bastard face.

Does that answer your question?

Seshmeister
07-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Because...

JBJ is a big-headed motherfucker, and is the ONLY person in the world worse than Hagar. He thinks he's in "a man's band, a real rock 'n' roll band", but, in actual fact, I have only met one male Bon Jovi fan in my life, and I don't even know, he was a friend of a friend, and even he is Welsh.

Hahah. Always the Welsh jibes...:)

The reason there was a fallout between JBJ and Skid Row is that they discovered that he had screwed them in the contract they signed with him so that he and Richie Sampdora got all the cash.

As I remember it was such a nasty contract that RS gave them his share back.

Bon Jovi back then were like the Sopranos with big hair...

Cheers!

:gulp:

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Because...

JBJ is a big-headed motherfucker, and is the ONLY person in the world worse than Hagar. He thinks he's in "a man's band, a real rock 'n' roll band", but, in actual fact, I have only met one male Bon Jovi fan in my life, and I don't even know, he was a friend of a friend, and even he is Welsh. He thinks he writes hard rock numbers, but there is nothing remotely rock 'n' roll about him, his band, or the music he plays. And, of course, lets not forget the whole Skid Row thing (JBJ discovered them, and then when they became successful, he miraculously found something to fall out with them over-I would say that was jealousy-because at least Skid Row wrote rock 'n' roll songs). In the UK, if you ask ANY biker if the are a Bon Jovi fan, they will punch you in the Godamn Motherfucking Bastard face.

Does that answer your question?

oh...I thought there was some special reason not the old and well known ;)

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
lol ok well hmmmm. serious???

watch out, junior!

Golden AWe
07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
It got about 8 million in the UK.

Not me- I got a GOLD PASS and was in the pub for 9 hours!!!:D

What's a GOLD PASS?

A happy hour-card?

A free night-card?

TELL ME MORE

TELL ME MORE

TELL ME MORE!!!

monkeythe
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM

I take it you're not going to the Stryper reunion tour. The Yellow & Black attack is back

DavidLeeNatra
07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by monkeythe
I take it you're not going to the Stryper reunion tour. The Yellow & Black attack is back

no...but here is a promo pic

http://www.zeichentrickserien.de/maja3.jpg

rustoffa
07-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Pink Floyd Urges Live 8 Performers to Donate

Daily Record

Veteran rockers Pink Floyd have pledged to donate to charity all profits from increased sales due to last weekend's Live8 concert. And guitarist Dave Gilmour urged other performers to do the same.

The band reformed especially for the gig after more than 20 years of hostility and feuding.

In the aftermath, sales of their greatest hits album have rocketed.

The number of copies of Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd sold by HMV alone have soared by 1343 per cent.

But Gilmour said, "I will not profit from the concert."

"If on Thursday, the G8 leaders tick the right three boxes at Gleneagles then the main objective will have been fulfilled."

"If other artists feel like donating their extra royalties to charity, perhaps then the record companies could be persuaded to make a similar gesture and that would be a bonus. This is money that should be used to save lives."

Every act at Hyde Park on Saturday saw a sales boost - except for Pete Doherty. Sales of his former band The Libertines' album Up The Bracket fell by 35 per cent.

The Who received the second-biggest boost, with an 863 per cent increase in sales of greatest hits album Then And Now.

The Eurythmics saw sales rise 500 per cent, with Dido's Life For Rent up 412 and Razorlight's Up All Night up 335.

Madonna, Robbie Williams, Sting, Travis and Joss Stone also saw big increases.

The viewing figures were released Tuesday as it emerged pirate DVDs were on sale on internet site eBay less than 24 hours after the event. They were removed by site bosses.

A spokesman for Bob Geldof said, "The people that do this are cretins and scum."

Photo Copyright Getty Images

Copyright Yellowbrix 2005

superdave
07-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Whatever I did see of the Live 8 show (all hip hop shit and the like from the Philly show) sucked, I can only hope they won't wait 20-some years to release it on DVD

bobgnote
07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Pink Floyd Urges Live 8 Performers to Donate

Daily Record

Veteran rockers Pink Floyd have pledged to donate to charity all profits from increased sales due to last weekend's Live8 concert. And guitarist Dave Gilmour urged other performers to do the same.

The band reformed especially for the gig after more than 20 years of hostility and feuding.

In the aftermath, sales of their greatest hits album have rocketed.

The number of copies of Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd sold by HMV alone have soared by 1343 per cent.

But Gilmour said, "I will not profit from the concert."
*************(truncated)*****************
A spokesman for Bob Geldof said, "The people that do this are cretins and scum."

Pink Floyd and the bulk of Geldof's gits are in fact SCUM, and Geldof's spokesperson is correct. Geldof was in a 70s band, the Boomtown Rats, and he is more promoter than bandsman to us. But what he really does is pimp the fake rock, made by crooks like Elton John and Stevie Wonder and Pink Floyd. Those cannot make new rock. They depend on Geldof to suck in the chumps, while they fail to cover the styles they duped, AGAIN, this year, LIKE VAN HALEN ALWAYS FAILS.

YOU do not get to be rockers. The corporate sucks took some good riffs, made a lot of money, crushed the clubs, made SOME of the fake into non-guitar punk, like Elton and any of the big funkers or disco. That is why all the horn geeks got any good funk at all, since 1971, THEY DUPED A SINGLE GUITAR PART, like Van Halen and all did.

The worst thing in the world is to get stuck looking at Elton's geeks doing the Saturday Nite's Alright howl, so boring after all the years.
Anybody up there with Elton was a shithead, McCartney, whoever.

The greedy lot of them all know California and selected other states have inflationary power deals, and they use the crap live Live-* to assess how much more money the chumps have, and to check just how chumpy they are, on the long decline from the Day on the Green stadium shows of the 70s, when clubs also existed, to the current total decline of all good rock and related forms, including the fake horn, harp, and ORGAN parts that punks DUPED, to make Ohio Players and Earthy-Windy FAKE compositions, now not easy to construct unless they get that spicy burrito over here. Hey, they called it PUNK because the music was DUPE. Not just because of stupid clothes and hair and geeks. The suck in the 70s was dupe. The heads up-8 are DEAD.

superdave
07-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by bobgnote
Pink Floyd and the bulk of Geldof's gits are in fact SCUM, and Geldof's spokesperson is correct. Geldof was in a 70s band, the Boomtown Rats, and he is more promoter than bandsman to us. But what he really does is pimp the fake rock, made by crooks like Elton John and Stevie Wonder and Pink Floyd. Those cannot make new rock. They depend on Geldof to suck in the chumps, while they fail to cover the styles they duped, AGAIN, this year, LIKE VAN HALEN ALWAYS FAILS.

YOU do not get to be rockers. The corporate sucks took some good riffs, made a lot of money, crushed the clubs, made SOME of the fake into non-guitar punk, like Elton and any of the big funkers or disco. that is why all the horn geeks got any good funk at all, since 1971, THEY DUPED A SINGLE GUITAR PART, like Van Halen and all did.

The worst thing in the world is to get stuck looking at Elton's geeks doing the Saturday Nite's Alright howl, so boring after all the years.

And you are????

bobgnote
07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
You ate my crap for brekkie a number of years ago, and now you can almost think, gut with horns, age 43.

I'm the shitter your nose is in. Watch out for that tree, purple tard. I'll cut on you and you'll CRASH and get crapped on by the fu bird.

Nickdfresh
07-06-2005, 09:06 PM

But you guys got to see GREEN DAY. Their cover of QUEEN's "We Are The Champions" was rousing!

DLR82VH
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I only watched the Crue tear it up in Toronto myself.

Nickdfresh
07-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Did anybody ever hear the rumor that BOB GELDOF had MICHAEL HUTCHENCE of INXS killed because he had taken up with his crazy ex-wife, and mainly, HUTCHENCE was trying to adopt GELDOF's kids with her?

Panamark
07-09-2005, 08:48 AM
BoB Geldof was always a cunt to Hutchence, but Hutchence accidentally strangled himself in a a masturbatory
self asphysixiation experiment gone wrong.

Nickdfresh
07-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
BoB Geldof was always a cunt to Hutchence, but Hutchence accidentally strangled himself in a a masturbatory
self asphysixiation experiment gone wrong.

Perhaps, but I think GELDOF was justifiably dismayed at the prospect of losing his kids. I like HUTCHENCE, but he was not the fatherly type and should have started his own family instead of looking for the ready-made option.

But, apparently BONO and the guys from U2 knew him quite well. I think BONO has said in the past that he was sure it was suicide, not "autoerotic-asphyxiation." That was just for life insurance purposes.

Seshmeister
07-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Hutchence struck me as a dick anyway.

The press went after him big style here but if you run off with someones wife, especially St Bob's then you're bound to get shit.

Panamark
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
The said wife ran off because apparently Geldof was such a dick.
I guess we get a different slant on it in this country.

Personally, Ive seen many interviews with Geldof and the guy strikes
me as a total prick, but I cant deny that he has succeeded with a lot
of very noble shit. (And I tips me lid to him !)

Obviously theres a vast difference between organizing famine
concerts and managing your own family...

Paula Yates spoke very openly about geldof's cruelty to her.
Hutchence was apparently the opposite to this.

Sir Bob was every bit as famous as Hutchence, albeit not due
to his one hit wonder musical career. So its not like she was
chasing a bigger celebrity. Sad triangle all around that one,
you cant help but feel for Tiger Lily. (Hutchences little girl)

Panamark
07-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Speaking of Live 8. I thought Paul MacCartney's Sargeant Peppers
was pretty good with U2. Made you definately wonder "what if" the
other Beatles were still around...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Cat

Soul Reaper
07-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I wish I watched it.

French channels in Lourdes, unfortunately.