PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant quote for London's mayor

academic punk
07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
London Mayor Ken Livingstone said:

"I want to say one thing, specifically to the world today — this was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful, it was not aimed at presidents or prime ministers, it was aimed at ordinary, working-class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christian ... young and old … that isn't an ideology, it isn't even a perverted fate, it is an indiscriminate attempt at mass murder."

"They seek to divide London, they seek Londoners to turn against each other ... this city of London is the greatest in the world because everybody lives side by side in harmony. Londoners will not be divided by this cowardly attack."

Livingstone also had words specifically for the terrorists: "I know that you personally do not fear to give your own life in exchange to taking others ... but I know you do fear you may fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society ... in the days that follow, look at our airports, look at our seaports and look at our railway stations ... you will see that people from the rest of Britain, people from around the world, will arrive in London to become Londoners, to fulfill their dream and achieve their potential … whatever you do, however many you kill, you will fail."

Guitar Shark
07-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Agreed, that's a cool statement.

Phil theStalker
07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

"I want to say one thing, specifically to the world today — this was not a terrorist attack against the mighty and the powerful, it was not aimed at presidents or prime ministers, it was aimed at ordinary, working-class Londoners, black and white, Muslim and Christian ... young and old … that isn't an ideology, it isn't even a perverted fate, it is an indiscriminate attempt at mass murder."
Is da goode mmayor implying t2o da terrorists dat prime mministers and presidents should be da targets and not ordinary peeps? huh

It could be a base message dat THE PEOPLE, da ordinary people, should be in cuntrol aff their governments, mmaybe, huh?

:spank:

Hardrock69
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Sur wood b nise iff duh normul peepuls kood b in kuntrole of dat gummint fo a chanje...

Phil theStalker
07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Sur wood b nise iff duh normul peepuls kood b in kuntrole of dat gummint fo a chanje...
i kno wot u meen..

:spank:

Warham
07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Did the mayor of Madrid say words similar to those?

Nickdfresh
07-07-2005, 06:10 PM
He's quite right.

I wish all people in positions of power could be so noble and far-sighted, unlike a lot of the petty bullshit lately.

Warham
07-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Didn't Bush say words similar after 9/11?

I can't remember, perhaps you could refresh my memory.

Nickdfresh
07-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Actually, there was a moment right before he began stumping for the IRAQ abortion where he was making sense.

academic punk
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Not really.

On 9/11 he gave a national address, and he seemed pretty shaken and tentative.

On 9/14 (I think) he gave a VERY good speech, assuring America that this would be set right. Then he went to Ground Zero and gave his "I hear you, the rest of the world hears you, and soon the people who knocked these buildigns down will hear all of us" speech.

After that, it was all "Go spend money".

He had an incredible opportunity to unite the country and the world, and instead his grand statement was "There's a lot of good movies in the theaters right now, why don't you take the family to see one?" It was one time where his folksy style worked against him (in my opinion).

Redballjets88
07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
it was good 1. he was getting people out of the house
and 2. he was showing the world that we would hide or be affraid

academic punk
07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
it was good 1. he was getting people out of the house
and 2. he was showing the world that we would hide or be affraid

Okay, but if you live fifteen blocks from Ground Zero, it was a massive "WTF is he talking about?"

His appraoch honestly sounded scared re: the potential collapse of the US economy. He didn't come across as authoritative. And at a time when we needed answers and not what thus far have been empty promises, it was important to hear the president say something more than "Can't wait for that sequel to Terms of Endearment" to come out. Boy, that Shirley Mclaine..."

It was a time to sound...well, like Ken Livingstone.

Redballjets88
07-07-2005, 07:18 PM
i think if he would have kept all that up and never gone to iraq people would have thought of him very highly as a president in the long run

academic punk
07-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i think if he would have kept all that up and never gone to iraq people would have thought of him very highly as a president in the long run

Could be.

But I still think his domestic policies would have been as divisive as they've been. In fact, probably even moreso.

And if some theorists are to be believed (and their theories do seem to have validity: the Downing Street Minutes, the entire Plame case, the Bush family history with Hussein), the plan all along was to invade Iraq regardless.

Redballjets88
07-07-2005, 07:29 PM
shit happens only have 2 years left

BigBadBrian
07-07-2005, 08:05 PM
I wonder who is regretting their words right about now? :rolleyes:

Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London to Sheikh Yusef al-Qaradawi as he preached that suicide bombings were appropriate: "You are truly welcome, welcome to London, a city of all faiths."

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/3875119.stm)

DLR'sCock
07-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by academic punk

"They seek to divide London, they seek Londoners to turn against each other ... this city of London is the greatest in the world because everybody lives side by side in harmony. Londoners will not be divided by this cowardly attack."

Livingstone also had words specifically for the terrorists: "I know that you personally do not fear to give your own life in exchange to taking others ... but I know you do fear you may fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society ... in the days that follow, look at our airports, look at our seaports and look at our railway stations ... you will see that people from the rest of Britain, people from around the world, will arrive in London to become Londoners, to fulfill their dream and achieve their potential … whatever you do, however many you kill, you will fail."

Bravo, a great statement!!!!

thome
07-07-2005, 11:50 PM
What? If? But? yuse guyz crak meez zup Howsaboutit?
Now ! This! Present day!
DEAL !!