PDA

View Full Version : US Sheriffs Say Meth Is Biggest Drug Problem

blueturk
07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
According to 500 sheriff's departments in 45 states, crystal meth is the biggest drug problem in America. But what the hell do they know? Nothing, according to the Bush administration. The White House says that pot is the problem, and this whole meth thing is being blown out of proportion. Since we're all on a site dedicated to a professed pot smoker, I just wonder what the Bush backers in here think about this. I know what I think.

Sheriffs Say Meth Is Top U.S. Drug Problem

By RYAN LENZ
The Associated Press
Wednesday, July 6, 2005; 12:00 AM

EVANSVILLE, Ind. -- The crippling reach of methamphetamine abuse has become the nation's leading drug problem affecting local law enforcement agencies, according to a survey of 500 sheriff's departments in 45 states.

More than half of the sheriffs interviewed for a National Association of Counties survey released Tuesday said they considered meth the most serious problem facing their departments.

"We're finding out that this is bigger problem than we thought," said Larry Naake, executive director of the association. "Folks at the state and federal level need to know about this."

About 90 percent of those interviewed reported increases in meth-related arrests in their counties over the last three years, packing jails in the Midwest and elsewhere.

The arrests also have swamped other county-level agencies that assist with caring for children whose parents have become addicted and with cleaning up toxic chemicals left behind by meth cookers.

The report comes soon after the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy restated its stance that marijuana remains the nation's most substantial drug problem. Federal estimates show there are 15 million marijuana users compared to the 1 million that might use meth.

Dave Murray, a policy analyst for the White House, said he understood that the meth problem moving through the nation was serious and substantial. But he disagreed that it had reached the state of an epidemic.

"This thing is burning, and because it's burning, we're going to put it out," he said. "But we can't turn our back on other threats."

Sheriff Jon Marvel of western Indiana's Vigo County estimates that 80 percent of the inmates in his county's jail in Terre Haute are held on meth-related charges.

He also points to an operating budget that has risen from $800,000 in 1999 to about $3.4 million last year as the best way to illustrate the stranglehold meth has on the county's resources.

"I want it stopped and I want it stopped now, and there is no way that's going to happen," Marvel said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/05/AR2005070501081.html

Redballjets88
07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
i believe the sherriff meth is huge i always hear about meth busts....there are probably way more pot users out there but meth is a killing and extremely addictive

LoungeMachine
07-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Comparing meth to pot, is like comparing

fuck, I forgot what I was saying. Are we outta Doritos?

thome
07-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Alkeehole is the worst. Meth is for sissys
Let me see one of those pussys sit on a Bar Stoole for 30 years.
Panzies!

Ally_Kat
07-08-2005, 12:26 AM
oh man.

As far as popularity goes, I'd have to say pot wins that out. I think everyone in here can at least name 2-5 people who smoke pot on a regular basis, themselves not included.

As far as being the bigger problem, I'd have to go with meth. HOW many meth lab explosions have happened in the Appalacians alone within the last 3 months?

Pot doesn't explode.

I say keep putting the info of what pot can lead to (current study says that smoking pot alone can lead to an almost guarantted case of cancer worse than just smoking tobacco would) but crack down on the meth.

Phil theStalker
07-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
As far as being the bigger problem, I'd have to go with meth. HOW many meth lab explosions have happened in the Appalacians alone within the last 3 months?
Dat just shows yoo how dumb Appleacians are..

they shouldn't bee doing city boys werk..

uh uh uh play dat funky musik, white boy uh uh uh u h uh

..they should stikk t2o moonshine..

:spank:

Ally_Kat
07-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
Dat just shows yoo how dumb Appleacians are..

Not as dumb as the city kids bringing their labs to school and it catching on fire.

kentuckyklira
07-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
i believe the sherriff meth is huge i always hear about meth busts....there are probably way more pot users out there but meth is a killing and extremely addictive Since when is meth addictive??

Rubbish propaganda!

blueturk
07-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Here's what the White House says about pot. "Reefer Madness" lives!

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/marijuana/index.html

FORD
07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
The BCE likes meth because it causes permanent brain damage with long term use and it makes the tweakers that much easier to brainwash.

If I remember correctly, the US troops who killed the Canadians in Afghanistan did so because they were tweaked out and hadn't slept for days, and missed the flag symbols with the big red maple leaf on it. Which could raise the question of whether the BCE is actively encouraging meth production, as a "defense enhancement".

It's cheaper than coke, and besides Junior hates sharing.

Nickdfresh
07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The BCE likes meth because it causes permanent brain damage with long term use and it makes the tweakers that much easier to brainwash.

If I remember correctly, the US troops who killed the Canadians in Afghanistan did so because they were tweaked out and hadn't slept for days, and missed the flag symbols with the big red maple leaf on it. Which could raise the question of whether the BCE is actively encouraging meth production, as a "defense enhancement".

It's cheaper than coke, and besides Junior hates sharing.

Geezus FORD:rolleyes: Those pilots were on uppers or speed no doubt, but they weren't smoking crystal meth.:rolleyes: There is a slight semantic difference.

FORD
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Geezus FORD:rolleyes: Those pilots were on uppers or speed no doubt, but they weren't smoking crystal meth.:rolleyes: There is a slight semantic difference.

I heard they were doing lines of crank. Anybody got a source?

Nickdfresh
07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I think they were issued uppers or caffeine pills to keep them awake for the long missions, this combined with a controversial anti-malaria drug, Lariam, (http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/0802/29.php) could have severely deluded their judgement.

ODShowtime
07-08-2005, 12:07 PM
The report comes soon after the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy restated its stance that marijuana remains the nation's most substantial drug problem.

What's the "problem" you corrupt, lying, warmongering freaks? When will the lies end?

Oh man, I might hurt somebody while I'm playing video games and eating chicken Mcnuggets. Meanwhile my neighbor's meth lab is about to explode and blow up the entire building. And all the kids hooked on crank are psychotic, toothless freaks robbing old ladies and beating children for their lunch money.

blueturk
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, evidently the Bush administration's focus on teen marijuana use is working. Now the young 'uns are doing shitloads of prescription drugs!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/12081122.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 08, 2005

Teens + prescriptions = abuse

Medicines are abusers' top choice, study finds; teen use grows rapidly

MARY PAT FLAHERTY

Washington Post

Abuse of prescription drugs is "epidemic" and teenagers are the fastest-growing group of new abusers, according to a study released Thursday.

But the problem hasn't drawn enough attention from health and law enforcement agencies, physicians, pharmacists and parents, said the report by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University in New York.

Abusers of prescription drugs -- 15.1 million people -- exceed the combined number abusing cocaine, hallucinogens, inhalants and heroin, the report said. Of those, 2.3 million are teenagers, but youngsters turn to prescription drugs at much higher rates than adults do.

Teens arrange "pharming parties" where they swap drugs they have spirited from home or purchased off the streets or on the Internet, the report said.

"Availability is the mother of abuse," said Joseph Califano, the center's chairman and former U.S. secretary of Health, Education and Welfare. "When I was young, my parents would lock their liquor cabinet. It may be parents should be thinking of locking their medicine cabinets."

The center's three-year study analyzed 15 national data sets, collected information on Internet pharmacies and conducted interviews and surveys among doctors and pharmacists.

The tally of abusers of medications derives from the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the most recent in which participants report their own use. An abuser is anyone who reported using an unprescribed drug or one taken only for the feeling it caused.

The number of prescriptions for controlled drugs and the number of abusers far outstripped U.S. population growth between 1992 and 2002, the study reports.

The Washington-based Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, whose members include major drug firms, "strongly supports efforts that help prevent the dangerous and illegal practice of diverting prescription drugs from their intended use," PhRMA Senior Vice President Ken Johnson said in a written statement.

Some drugstore chains have tightened controls over cold and cough remedies abused by teen-agers, putting them behind counters or selling only to adults. The study suggests broader remedies, too: better monitoring by enforcement agents of sales and distribution, having doctors routinely ask patients about prescription drug use and improving training to detect abuse.

Pharmacists should ask about all controlled drugs a patient may be taking and become more aggressive about validating prescriptions, the study said.

The center's study was funded by a $1 million unrestricted grant from Purdue Pharma, manufacturer of OxyContin, a painkiller originally intended for end-stage cancer patients. It is now widely diverted and abused.

The study notes that Purdue "aggressively marketed" the drug for lesser pain, leading to more prescriptions. It also formulated OxyContin in a way that easily allowed abusers to crush and snort the pills, overcoming its time-release formula and allowing a narcotic rush.

Califano said the center and Purdue had a signed agreement that the company would not have input into the report.

scorpioboy33
07-09-2005, 11:47 PM
God can Bush's government be any more misinformed?

rustoffa
07-10-2005, 01:47 AM
If anything, the preservation of the welfare state would lend itself to the popularity of crank.

Hitler used to doll it out like government cheese to the troops.

Fuck, I don't get it....one cup of coffee, and I'm yelling at the dog and shit.

ODShowtime
07-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
Well, evidently the Bush administration's focus on teen marijuana use is working. Now the young 'uns are doing shitloads of prescription drugs!

This all stems from our leaders having no clue about REALITY.

People like to get fucked up. People also like to have sex.

Now with all that abstinence education bullshit, the kids of today are a bunch pill-poppin' experts on blowjobs and buttsex. Cue Warham:

ODShowtime
07-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
If anything, the preservation of the welfare state would lend itself to the popularity of crank.

Hitler used to doll it out like government cheese to the troops.

Fuck, I don't get it....one cup of coffee, and I'm yelling at the dog and shit.

Hitler was a complete speed-freak by the end. His psychotic paranoia probably contributed to the last couple million deaths in WWII in Europe. Yeah, you don't want you absolute leader all zipped out.

blueturk
07-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
This all stems from our leaders having no clue about REALITY.

You got that right!

"Marijuana meets the criteria for an addictive drug and animal studies suggest marijuana causes physical dependence and some people report withdrawal symptoms"

Excerpt from The White House drug website

ODShowtime
07-10-2005, 04:03 PM
You got that right!

"Marijuana meets the criteria for an addictive drug and animal studies suggest marijuana causes physical dependence and some people report withdrawal symptoms"

Back in the 70s Nixon commissioned a scientific study that proved pot was no more harmful than any of the other approved vices. And less addictive. Once he read the results, he trashed them.

Ever since then the Drug War has been waged against pot users to steal people's property and to get votes from all the pieces of shit out there who think it's good to take away God given freedoms.

If they focused on the truly harmful drugs, the war would be over in no time. They don't want that.

Nickdfresh
07-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know why Law Enforcement LOVES to BUST pot above all else?

Nickdfresh
07-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Because a field full of green, lush pot plants weights an enormous amount and has much tonnage when compared to to other refined drugs...That's how their budgets are often decided in accordance with the amount of drug tonnage seized.

It also makes for nice newspaper headlines and end of year statistic report fodder.

LoungeMachine
07-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Does anyone know why Law Enforcement LOVES to BUST pot above all else?

So they can snatch a nice tight Bud for themselves for the BBQ next weekend.

Most cops I know smoke pot.

The " War On Drugs" is the the same as the "War On Terror"

A fight which government and corporations profit from BOTH sides, and perptuate fear for their own purposes.

:cool:

ODShowtime
07-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
So they can snatch a nice tight Bud for themselves for the BBQ next weekend.

Most cops I know smoke pot.

The " War On Drugs" is the the same as the "War On Terror"

A fight which government and corporations profit from BOTH sides, and perptuate fear for their own purposes.

:cool:

I've known more than one cop who smoked bud.

To your second point, that drug test racket is making a killing!

kentuckyklira
07-11-2005, 03:32 AM
A little drug related trivia.

Both Heroin and Aspirin were discovered in 1904 at Bayer in Leverkusen, Germany, 10 miles from my home. While the company´s managers didn´t believe Aspirin would be much of a success they were pretty sure of Heroin. This was because Aspirin showed more side effects than Heroin, initially. In many countries, Aspirin was temporarila outlawed way before Heroin was!

ODShowtime
07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
A little drug related trivia.

Both Heroin and Aspirin were discovered in 1904 at Bayer in Leverkusen, Germany, 10 miles from my home. While the company´s managers didn´t believe Aspirin would be much of a success they were pretty sure of Heroin. This was because Aspirin showed more side effects than Heroin, initially. In many countries, Aspirin was temporarila outlawed way before Heroin was!

Heroin was great at curing opium addictions!

Angel
07-11-2005, 06:23 PM
You got that right!

Actually, it IS physically addictive. Usually there are very few withdrawal symptoms. The reason for that is because THC is stored in fat cells. When you stop smoking, your body retains the THC in the fat cells, and it slowly dissipates over time. The reason why this doesn' happen with opioid or other type drugs is because they are stored in the blood system. Once the blood is clean, they require another fix.

Marijuana is probably one of the easiest addiction to overcome. ;)

blueturk
07-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Actually, it IS physically addictive. Usually there are very few withdrawal symptoms. The reason for that is because THC is stored in fat cells. When you stop smoking, your body retains the THC in the fat cells, and it slowly dissipates over time. The reason why this doesn' happen with opioid or other type drugs is because they are stored in the blood system. Once the blood is clean, they require another fix.

Marijuana is probably one of the easiest addiction to overcome. ;)

The government uses the word "addictive" very loosely to suit it's own purposes. Pot's "withdrawal symptoms" are practically non-existent. On the other hand, even quitting alcohol cold turkey can be potentially deadly for some individuals.

DLR'sCock
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Meth is way out of control in this country..........

twonabomber
07-12-2005, 12:03 AM
and it's a bitch to clean up a meth lab. they have to call in the hazmat teams. at least when they confiscate pot plants, all they have to do is incinerate them.

the local "drug task forces" take truckloads of confiscated dope down to the steel mills and throw it in the furnace. burns instantly with no smoke, no odor.

Angel
07-13-2005, 02:58 PM
The government uses the word "addictive" very loosely to suit it's own purposes. Pot's "withdrawal symptoms" are practically non-existent. On the other hand, even quitting alcohol cold turkey can be potentially deadly for some individuals.

You obviously haven't been around my husband and I when we're out! hahaha. You're right though in that they are practically non-existent. When I've tried to quit I've had some minor moodiness, and some insomnia. Plus, I have really weird dreams! I don't think quitting cold turkey could ever be deadly, due to the slow dissipation out of the fat cells.