Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

THE PITTSBURGH Sports CHATTER

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

News

Duce Staley is going to play for the team he rooted for as a child. The Steelers signed the former Eagle running back to a five-year contract on Tuesday. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the deal is worth $14 million and includes a $4 million signing bonus.

Views

Staley is expected to unseat Steelers legend Jerome Bettis for the starting job, in what is sure to be a "lesser of two evils" situation. The Bus is about out of gas, but Staley has shown nothing other than an ability to catch short passes the last couple seasons. Look for Amos Zereoue to be released by the Steelers.
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Amos Zereoue is awful.

Staley has alot more gas than Bettis does at this point.
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

And is a lot better receiver than either of them. Now that line needs some help. But the threat of a running game helps Maddox out big time.

Comment

• Chaz Rock City

I'm glad the Steelers are trying to upgrade the running game. Bettis was great in his prime, but those days are over. If the line still sucks, it won't matter who the RB is. Steelers still have to fix the secondary.

Comment

• SilvioDante
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2004

Staley is a frickin' head case. I'll be surprised if he doesn't hold out after trainning camp. Word was he was a cancer in the Eagles locker room also. Well, if that is the case, Plax has a new buddy...
          "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Great signing IMO....

I'm getting a little concerned about the O-line issue, they don't seem to be giving it enough attention....

In terms of their #1 pick at #11, with Cleveland taking Garcia, it's becoming more and more likely that Rothlesberger may slip that far....

And they'd be a fool not to take him....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• BuzinBad

Originally posted by Sarge
              Amos Zereoue is awful.

Staley has alot more gas than Bettis does at this point.
              I totally agree. It's sad to watch the Bus sucking late in his career. The only thing sadder is watching Emmitt Smith trying to continue to play when he has NOTHING left in the tank.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

I totally disagree with that pick Va...totally disagree...

you gotta go with Rivers...

the guy wins games...doesn't look great doing it...but wins games...

without Rivers...NC State wins three games a year...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

I remember reading an article late in the season listening to McNabb discuss how the team listens to Staley over anyone else. Either that explains why they blow it every year...or it overblows how shitty he is. Both Westbrook and Buckhalter say that McNabb was the solitary reason why they were successful this year. He could have shattered that team by demanding to start...but never did...he came out and played...kept his whole shut...and went about his business...

I remember Va...at one point a couple of months ago in a thread here saying that Duce was a possibility...I never really thought that they would do it...

So now we move to the secondary. Do you think the Steelers now have the cash to go out and get a Bobby Taylor perhaps?...

I think Rivers is going to be a Steeler...for good or bad...

I think the dude from Miami (OH) won't make it that pick with Cleveland...I think they'll trade down...to Buffalo...so the Bills get their man...

I could also then see the Steelers trading down a few picks...and still getting Rivers later in the round...

but what happens if Gamble drops down to 11?...how do you pass that up...
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Well well, look who popped his fookin' head in here... Hope all is cool bro...

Personally, I wouldn't mind either Rothlesberger or Rivers.... I only keep bringing Roth--- back up because he's rated higher... I guess only time will tell if that holds up (see Leaf, Ryan....)

But as I said before, although I like the signing of Duce, they need to step it up, at CB and O-line both....

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they may take someone like DeAngelo Hall from Va Tech with #11... He's a good cover corner, who runs back punts as well.... Or yeah, Gamble also....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

You know...the thing is...both those guys may or may not be the best corner...

Gamble and Hall are both solid...but a lot of people are saying that Dunta Robinson is the best right now...can step right in...

so the question is...do we want upside...or right now...

See last years draft for my preference...

I agree wholeheartedly...I hope Cowher has something up his sleave with the OL and with CB though...because if they take a qb one...it's for the future...and not next year...I think it will all depend on the Bills actually...

if they trade up to get the guy from Miami...There really isn't anyone in the near picks who need a qb...

I think Pittsburgh could trade down...get Rivers with a pick 20 or so...and get a high 2nd or another first rounder in a trade down...if they can go there...

This is going to be an interesting draft...

Comment

• Lou

Have fun with Bobby Taylor you know why? He is really not very good anymore. He never could tackle, now he's older, and he bitches about everything. Watching him play, trust me, he is NOT an all-Pro anymore. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he'll kill your cap with the money he wants.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Well...not really paying much attention to Taylor...I don't see Pittsburgh going after him anyways...but trust me Lou...he'd be much better than what we have...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Okay...Plax hasn't shown up yet...but says he'll be there for training camp...

Ward is there...but won't be there at training camp because the fucker is rightfully pissed that the bitch Maddox is getting more money (ridiculous...the should have cut his ass)...

but Roethlisberger is looking good...developing well against the Steeler D...

so it's distinctly possible that Maddox will get all that money...to not even start...what a bunch of morons...they're going to lose Ward and Burress...but hey...

they have fucking Maddox...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

I don't think so bro, Maddox is gonna start at least half the year if not the full year, unless he pulls a Kordell and blows goats right off of the bat....

Ward has a point, but his whining to the media is disappointing... He's a class act, but this isn't the first time that when something doesn't go his way he goes to the media....

They told him as soon as he started whining, you're gonna get your money, just not this year, next year....

Comment

Working...