PDA

View Full Version : Bucs slow to make offer, Sapp ready to explore options

Sarge
03-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Bucs slow to make offer, Sapp ready to explore options
March 9, 2004
AP

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) Warren Sapp is running out of patience with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Advertisement

A week into free agency, the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle has yet to receive a contract proposal from the only team he's played for and is ready to begin talking to other clubs.

"There are 31 other teams in the NFL," agent Drew Rosenhaus said Tuesday. "The likelihood is that he will be playing for one of them next season."

Rosenhaus said although Bucs general manager Bruce Allen repeatedly has intimated that re-signing Sapp is a priority that the team nevertheless has not made an offer to the 31-year-old tackle while aggressively pursuing other players in free agency.

The Bucs have signed six players in the past week - all on offense - and also spent time courting former San Francisco quarterback Jeff Garcia, Philadelphia running back Duce Staley and Washington receiver Patrick Johnson.

Sapp, who is two sacks shy of becoming Tampa Bay's all-time sack leader, said last week that he remained optimistic about the prospect remaining with the Bucs.

That confidence was based on his desire to stay in Tampa, a willingness to be flexible on contract terms and the belief that Allen and coach Jon Gruden want him back, too.

Rosenhaus said several teams have expressed interest in the 1999 NFL defensive player of the year but have been timid in their approach because they are uncertain about whether Sapp is open to leaving.

"Teams want to know whether he is willing to go elsewhere, and the answer is yes. We want to make that clear," Rosenhaus said. "I'm not saying that's his preference. I'm not saying he wants to leave. I'm saying that in all probability that's what's going to happen, based on the way the Bucs have approached this."

Sapp, who made $6.6 million in 2003 in the final season of a six-year, $36 million contract, said earlier this month that he feels he can continue to play at a high level for four more years.

The Bucs cut five players and restructured the contracts of linebacker Derrick Brooks and offensive lineman Kerry Jenkins to create room under the NFL's $80.6 million salary cap to pursue free agents.

Rosenhaus would not speculate on why the Bucs have been hesitant to make an offer, but did say Allen has cited salary cap constraints as an obstacle to making the kind of proposal the general manager feels Sapp deserves.

Allen was not immediately available for comment.

Meanwhile, the Bucs have signed offensive linemen Derrick Deese and Matt Stinchcomb, tight ends Rickey Dudley and Dave Moore and fullback Greg Comella since the start of free agency.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7157802

Sarge
03-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Warren Sapp is an important part of that defense but he isn't the best defensive player on the team.
I don't think he will get the blockbuster deal he wants

ALinChainz
03-10-2004, 12:06 AM
And if he's gonna jump ship, he should get to steppin' while teams have the cash to spend. The draft is just around the corner and all teams will focus on that.

Even with the Ravens getting T.O. and redoing his deal, and franchising McAlister, they still have big cap room to sign Sapp.

He probably won't get a blockbuster, but probably more than he will in Tampa.

redblkwht
03-10-2004, 01:41 AM
I dont see Sapp being in Tampa, IMO i think the 3
bald owners want him out..they think he was a lockeroom
cancer like Keyshawn..trust me i lived there & it was all
over the papers on how sapp treated fellow players &
friends & STRIPPERS. lol-