PDA

View Full Version : Taliban Say they Have Navy SEAL

LoungeMachine
07-09-2005, 02:09 AM
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - Accused terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden is not in Afghanistan, President Hamid Karzai said, while a purported Taliban spokesman reiterated a claim that a missing U.S. navy man is being held by the rebels and will soon be killed.

Karzai made the comment Friday at a news conference in Afghan capital Kabul but gave no suggestion of where he thinks the al-Qaida leader may be hiding.

"God knows where he is...We don't know...He is not in Afghanistan," he said, without elaborating.

His comment came days after Pakistani Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao said bin Laden is not in Pakistan and could be hiding in southeastern Afghanistan.

U.S. officials have said they believe bin Laden is somewhere in rugged mountains between the two countries.

U.S. military spokeswoman Lieut. Cindy Moore declined comment on the latest claim that a U.S. navy special-forces SEAL has been captured, except to say: "We are continuing to search for him."

The SEAL is the last of a four-member team missing for 11 days in Kunar province, near the Pakistani border. One of the men was rescued and the other two were found dead.

Purported Taliban spokesman Mullah Latif Hakimi said the man is being interrogated and would later be killed.

"Right now, the interrogation is taking place of the American who is with us about the American strategy in Afghanistan," he said.

"After that...he will be executed, definitely."

Hakimi has said previously the Taliban are holding the man. But information from him in the past has frequently proven exaggerated or untrue and his exact tie to the Taliban leadership cannot be independently verified.

The claims by the Taliban follow unprecedented insurgent violence that has left about 700 people dead and threatened to sabotage three years of progress toward peace. Afghan officials insist the violence will not disrupt landmark legislative elections slated for September.

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:13 AM
bs

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:14 AM
but if he is then he unit probably knows where he is because they are too highly trained to be split like that and they will go split some towel heads

scorpioboy33
07-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
but if he is then he unit probably knows where he is because they are too highly trained to be split like that and they will go split some towel heads

god that racist crap just rolls off your mouth to easy...

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:39 AM
hey shit happens....go read sarges diary

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:40 AM
w/e since you dont have any prejiduces or dislike to anyone on earth

scorpioboy33
07-09-2005, 02:42 AM
so sad when people use racist terms...

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:46 AM
why? i kinda think it is funny...face it sterotypes are funny

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:48 AM
you need to realize when someone is joking....im not racist but i joke

scorpioboy33
07-09-2005, 02:48 AM
ha ha

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 02:55 AM
w/e people from the north are different in that way.....im not saying anything bad....and im not saying since im in texas everone here is racist.....but we arent...people think we all are cowboys and have horses and we dont...the point is i dont know any racists.....

i live near dallas which has the 2nd highest gay population in the US and i live 5 miles from the most culturaly diverse college in america

the only thing different here is that people joke about races a lot black about white whites about asians asians about black....

people from the north take it as rascism when it isnt....my friend just moved from new york and at first he thought the same way as you but now he is realizing that its just like that

scorpioboy33
07-09-2005, 02:58 AM
yah I hear dude....it's like they think all you people are Neo Conservative ,Bush supporters.....People gotta stop generalizing ...me to I guess..just don't do good with slurs...oh well I'll work on it :)

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 03:06 AM
well dont ever come here all the mexicans say racial things to white people all the time.....their are a lot more liberals here than ya think we had some crazy debates this year..even though im more to the right i like to be moderate on a lot of things bc i dont like being extremely closed minded.....but there are some things in my morals i dont change

scorpioboy33
07-09-2005, 03:33 AM
well dont ever come here all the mexicans say racial things to white people all the time.....their are a lot more liberals here than ya think we had some crazy debates this year..even though im more to the right i like to be moderate on a lot of things bc i dont like being extremely closed minded.....but there are some things in my morals i dont change

does this mean you do support Bush?

Redballjets88
07-09-2005, 03:35 AM
yeah i like bush i also think he should take most the troops out of iraq and leave just some in like a base just in case...but i also dont buy into all the conspiracie crap

Nickdfresh
07-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Body of U.S. Commando Found in Afghanistan
Monday, July 11, 2005 9:08 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By DANIEL COONEY

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The body of a missing U.S. commando has been located in eastern Afghanistan, the military said Monday, bringing an end to the desperate search for the last member of an ill-fated, four-man special forces unit that disappeared last month.

One of the four men was rescued on July 3; the other two were found dead the next day.

The body of the fourth U.S. Navy SEAL was found Sunday in Kunar province by a search and rescue team, the military said in a statement. It said all indications are that he died in fighting, despite a claim by Mullah Latif Hakimi, a purported Taliban spokesman, that he was captured alive and beheaded.

"The location and disposition of the service member's remains indicate he died while fighting off enemy terrorists on or about June 28," the statement said.

U.S. military spokesman Col. James Yonts repeatedly denied Hakimi's claims.

"There have been claims of being dropped on a mountain wearing red clothes, there have been claims of being beheaded," he said. But "there was no indication supporting the claims. ... This individual was never in custody, he was never defamed or disgraced."

He said the injuries on the commando's body were consistent with "a firefight, a combat operation with smalls arms fire, RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) rounds."

Hakimi never offered proof to back up his claim that the rebels were holding the commando, or that they had killed him. Information from Hakimi in the past has sometimes proven exaggerated or untrue, and his exact tie to the Taliban leadership cannot be independently verified.

The Navy SEAL team went missing after a special forces helicopter carrying reinforcements to a mountainous area in eastern Kunar province was shot down on June 28, killing all 16 Americans on board, the deadliest single attack on the U.S. military since the war here began in 2001.

Yonts said the commando's body was found near the chopper crash site in an area "that we had looked over before, but where his body was located was hard to find."

The name of the commando was not immediately released, pending notification of family.

U.S. and Afghan officials have warned that the violence is likely to worsen in the lead-up to legislative elections in September — the country's next key step toward democracy after a quarter century of war.

Yonts said the U.S. military was preparing to deploy an airborne infantry battalion based in Fort Bragg, N.C., to provide additional troops for the 20,000-strong U.S.-led coalition. He gave no other details about the deployment.

Kunar province has long been a hotbed of militant activity and a haven for fighters loyal to renegade former premier Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who is wanted by the United States. U.S. officials said al-Qaida fighters also were in the region. Osama bin Laden was not said to be there — though he is believed to be somewhere along the Afghanistan-Pakistan frontier.

The region's wooded mountains are popular with militants because they are easy to infiltrate from neighboring Pakistan and have plenty of places to hide.

Meanwhile, suspected Taliban gunmen ambushed a border patrol in the desert near the frontier with Pakistan, killing and beheading 10 Afghan soldiers, a provincial governor said Sunday. Violence elsewhere left 15 rebels and soldiers dead.

The 25-member patrol was attacked Saturday in southern Helmand province by militants driving four four-wheel-drive pickups, said provincial Gov. Sher Mohammed Aghunzada.

The insurgents killed 10 soldiers; 15 fled the ambush, Aghunzada said.

"The Taliban cut the heads off all the soldiers who were killed," he said. Aghunzada said the dead soldiers' bodies had been recovered.

He said the assailants launched the assault after driving across the border from Pakistan and returned across the frontier. The border is unguarded in that remote area.

Twelve other Afghan soldiers were killed Sunday when a land mine blew up under their vehicle in Paktika province, also near the border with Pakistan, provincial deputy police chief Ghulam Nabi said.

He said it wasn't clear if the mine was one of hundreds of thousands of old mines left over from a quarter century of fighting, or had been newly planted.

http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=12041215&ps=1012

kentuckyklira
07-11-2005, 12:03 PM
why? i kinda think it is funny...face it sterotypes are funny What do they call guys like you??

Illiterate cowfuckers?

kentuckyklira
07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
my friend just moved from new york and at first he thought the same way as you but now he is realizing that its just like that Gotta love it when lovers get united! Do your parents like him?:confused:

kentuckyklira
07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
yeah i like bush i also think he should take most the troops out of iraq and leave just some in like a base just in case...but i also dont buy into all the conspiracie crap You also don´t buy into spelling!

Nickdfresh
07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I heard the PENTAGON has reported that this guy WAS NOT executed, but in fact died of wounds as he fought to the death.

Nickdfresh
07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Official: Afghans sheltered SEAL from Taliban

Monday, July 11, 2005; Posted: 2:24 p.m. EDT (18:24 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/07/11/afghan.seal/story.mh47.chinook.army.jpg
An MH-47, as shown here, was carrying reinforcements to the U.S. team when insurgents apparently shot it down.

WASHINGTON (CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/07/11/afghan.seal/index.html)) -- Afghan villagers sheltered a U.S. Navy SEAL wounded in a battle last month with the Taliban until they could get word to American forces to rescue him, a military official said Monday.

The SEAL was part of a four-man reconnaissance team that went missing June 28 after calling for help during a firefight in the mountains near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.

The other three members of the team died in the fighting, and a MH-47 helicopter crashed as it brought reinforcements, killing all 16 people on board.

The military said it believes insurgents shot down the chopper.

Military officials said a rocket exploded near the surviving SEAL, knocking him off his feet and down a mountainside in steep terrain. He then managed to stay out of sight of the insurgents, officials said.

The commando suffered multiple leg wounds but was able to walk about two miles (three or four kilometers) through the mountains to get away, according to a U.S. military official, who insisted on anonymity.

An Afghan villager found the SEAL and hid him in his village, the official said.

According to military accounts, Taliban fighters came to the village and demanded the American be turned over, but villagers refused.

The SEAL wrote a note verifying his identity and location, and a villager carried it to U.S. forces, the official said. The note indicated to U.S. troops that they wouldn't be entering into a trap. The commando was rescued July 3.

The military has not revealed his identity.

The bodies of two of the other SEALS were recovered July 4, and the fourth man's body was found Sunday with the help of local Afghans, the military said.
Taliban abduction denied

An initial assessment indicated the three SEALs were killed in a gunbattle, a senior U.S. defense official said Sunday, adding there was "no way" the fourth SEAL had been abducted.

The Taliban had claimed to have captured the SEAL.

"The final member was located during a combat search-and-rescue operation July 10 in Kunar province," the military said in a statement Monday. "The location and disposition of the service member's remains indicate he died while fighting off enemy terrorists on or about June 28."

The Taliban is the fundamentalist Islamic regime that ruled Afghanistan from 1996 until 2001 when a U.S.-led coalition knocked it from power. It continues to conduct guerrilla operations in the country, particularly along the border with Pakistan.

Suspected Taliban gunmen beheaded 10 Afghan soldiers in a desert ambush near the Pakistan border, a provincial governor said Sunday, The Associated Press reported.

CNN's Barbara Starr contributed to this report.

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.