PDA

View Full Version : which songs SHOULD have Dave released as singles?

bigc
07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I can immediately think of another cut off Skyscraper as opposed to Stand Up...its not bad as such...just...sterile,and screams B-side/album filler to me.

Hina perhaps? I know it was a double A side with Damn Good...but perhaps they could have done a video to that...instead of getting the cardboard skyline out*shudders*

with ALAE...I think the choices were good, I would have liked to see "Drop in the Bucket" as a single...but I admit it doesnt really lend itself to the format...but still...it would have shown Dave not to be totally generic and ripping off other artists(as some people claimed with Tell The Truth and Sensible Shoes)

By YFLM, the singles market was near on irrelevant to Dave and album sales I assume?

sorry if like my previous thread today...this has been done before.I'm just curious to what you think coulda burnt up the airwaves....metaphorically speaking

academic punk
07-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Forget the choice of single - Skyscraper should've been a different album altogether.

(yup...it's nearly twenty years later, and I'm STILL bitter!)

DavidLeeNatra
07-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Forget the choice of single - Skyscraper should've been a different album altogether.

(yup...it's nearly twenty years later, and I'm STILL bitter!)

yes...

Big Troubles
07-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Im shocked there wasn't a single from DLR Band. I guess BlackLight would have been radio friendly for him. But really dig Slam Dunk. Lose the Dress, Weekend with the Babysitter and Goin' Places.

Knucklebones would have worked well too.

VonHalen
07-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Lose The Dress would have been perfect

DLR7884
07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Im shocked there wasn't a single from DLR Band. I guess BlackLight would have been radio friendly for him. But really dig Slam Dunk. Lose the Dress, Weekend with the Babysitter and Goin' Places.

Knucklebones would have worked well too.

Slam Dunk and Relentless were both singles.

DLR7884
I know because I had them both at one point, now all I have is Slam Dunk with King of the Hill as a B-side.

academic punk
07-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884
I know because I had them both at one point, now all I have is Slam Dunk with King of the Hill as a B-side.

There was also a veeeeeery low budget video made for Slam Dunk. It took place - shock! - on a basketball court, with lots of worms-eye view shots of dave leaping in the air.

(the worm's eye view was employed , on would imagaine - to make it seem like Dave was getting some Jump-era altitude from his leaps)

At the time, Dave agreed to do an interview for VH-1. After a couple of questions, he realized he had been set up for a "Where Are They Now" segment. He promptly got up, removed his mic, and left.

DavidLeeNatra
07-22-2005, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
There was also a veeeeeery low budget video made for Slam Dunk. It took place - shock! - on a basketball court, with lots of worms-eye view shots of dave leaping in the air.

(the worm's eye view was employed , on would imagaine - to make it seem like Dave was getting some Jump-era altitude from his leaps)

At the time, Dave agreed to do an interview for VH-1. After a couple of questions, he realized he had been set up for a "Where Are They Now" segment. He promptly got up, removed his mic, and left.

so...who the fuck's got that video??? somebody in the whole wide roth world should and should post it immediately !!!

academic punk
07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
so...who the fuck's got that video??? somebody in the whole wide roth world should and should post it immediately !!!

I remember his hair was platinum blonde, he was wearing one of those striped shirts, and - being that this was the height of grunge - one of the questions was "How important is success to you?" or something.

Dave responded - with all the enthusiasm we know and love from Dave - "Hey, I hope you LOVE my stuff! And if you love it, get a copy for your best pal! Hell, if you hate it, get a copy for your best pal!!! 'Cause either way I'll STILL be here tomorrow!!!"

and then very queitly, he added "At least I hope so."

purefuckinrock!
07-22-2005, 12:51 PM
I think "No Big 'Ting" would have been great and "Bad Habits" would be THE tune...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I think Soul Kitchen should have been a single, along with Counter-Blast, Everybody's Got The Monkey.

I'm not sure what was and was not a single, though, because I wasn't alive until 1988, and by the time 1992 came along, nobody (in the UK) knew who Dave was, and even then I was only 4, possibly 3.

bigc
07-26-2005, 08:09 AM
nah....

ALAE peaked at No.4 in the UK album charts in 1991, which was the best chart position of any VH/DLR release.

so i guess he was somewhat big then.but i wasnt really aware of music at the time...being 4 and all that

Big Troubles
08-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

They were released as singles? Jesus Christ, learn somethin' new everyday.

video for just Slam Dunk? Love to see that!

DlocRoth
08-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah, wasn't Slam Dunk #1 on some rock chart?

bueno bob
08-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Bad Habits...Little Texas...Cheatin Heart Cafe could have been a pretty good crossover tune into the country field...Shyboy maybe...

Bill Lumbergh
08-08-2005, 03:07 AM
Act One. ;)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by bigc
nah....

ALAE peaked at No.4 in the UK album charts in 1991, which was the best chart position of any VH/DLR release.

so i guess he was somewhat big then.but i wasnt really aware of music at the time...being 4 and all that

Hmmm.

Didn't know that.

Dirty Duck
09-01-2005, 05:04 PM
There have been a lot of Dave's songs that were never released as singles...and I have no clue why. Black Sand should have been released as a single....how the music industry overlooked that one I'll never know. Stellar guitar..vocals and vibe. That is one song that I love playing during the summer kickin back some cold ones....agreed?